Planned out my First Week's Menu

msquoted

I planned out my menu for next week- my very first week ever doing W30. I am a little concerned about if I am getting enough fats. Any feedback on my menu? Thanks!

Monday:

Breakfast: Sweet potatoes topped w/ coconut oil, nuts, shredded coconut and raisins

Lunch: Tuna stuffed tomatoes

Dinner: Shredded pork baked potatoes (top w/ zucchini, tomatoes, and avocado)

Tuesday:

Breakfast: Eggs w/ pico de gallo and sausage

Lunch: Grilled chicken and veggies

Dinner:  Sit Fry

Wednesday:

Breakfast: Shredded coconut w/ fruit and nuts

Lunch: green eggs and ham

Dinner: Sausage, Kale, and Mushroom Soup

Thursday:

Breakfast: Sweet potatoes topped w/ coconut oil, nuts, shredded coconut and raisins

Lunch: Leftover soup

Dinner: Pineapple burgers

Friday:

Breakfast: Eggs w/ pico de gallo and sausage

Lunch: Frittata w/ fruit and nuts

Dinner: Taco Salad

Saturday:

Breakfast: Shredded Coconut w/ fruit and nuts

Lunch: Salad w/ tuna and hard boiled eggs

Dinner: Seared Salmon and asparagus

Sunday:

Lunch: Poached Eggs over steamed peas, zucchini, tuna and capers

Dinner: Chicken Curry (made w/ coconut milk)

My initial reaction reading your meal plan was:

1) make sure you are not substituting meat protein with nuts (some meals are missing a meat portion). This is so especially true for breakfast. Meat + breakfast = fantastic way to start your day.

2) How are you making "Green" eggs and ham? Just curious, really. My first thought was spinach. ?

3) You seem to have a lot of nuts listed. Try switching some of them out for avocado, olive oil, coconut oil (or coconut butter/milk/mana) instead.

and 4) I'm not sure what your goals are, but if you're not super active, eating potato a couple times a day might be a bit much. Try instead to put other veggies on your plate - baked carrots, yellow squash, kale, swiss chard... maybe even try a veggie you've never had!

My understanding is the little green peas are not Whole30 compliant, but I'm not 100% on that so I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong!

One sure way to get enough fat in your diet is to cook veggies in coconut oil (or ghee, or tallow...). So every time you have one of these stir fry meals or cook veggies, add some oil to the pan. Have a great Whole30!

Wonderful that you are planning ahead. Here are a few suggestions. It doesn't look like you are following the meal planning template. 1 - 3 cups of veggies with every meal, 1 - 2 palm size servings of protein, 1 - 2 thumb size servings of fat. For lunch one day you listed tuna salad and hard boiled eggs, you need 1 - 3 cups of veggie with this.

Fruit and nuts are not a good idea for a meal or a snack. You should fill your plate with veggies and protein first. Good Luck!

• Moderators

Your plan looks nicely filled with fat. That is not an issue for you. 

Peas are legumes and not okay during a Whole30.

Ham not cured with sugar is almost impossible to find in the United States, so check ingredients before eating any ham. 

Coconut, fruit, and nuts does not measure up as a meal during a Whole30. Reviewing the meal template is a good idea: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

You probably need more veggies and less fruit and nuts. :)

Thanks for all the feedback! I didn't even think about the peas or the ham.

Yes, for the "green" eggs it is sauteed spinach (and red onion) and eggs.

I will work definitely be following your recommendation of less nuts/fruit and more veggies (and less potatoes)  :)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Maybe that breakfast could be 2-3 eggs, 1/2 sweet potato (or a whole if it is a small one - sometimes the ones near me are over a pound!) topped with a tbsp of coconut butter or ghee and then a side of creamed spinach (made with a little coconut milk)?  If you haven't had coconut butter before... you are in for a treat!  

I went through a creamed spinach phase... I would cook up 2 lbs of frozen spinach and let most of the water cook off.  Take it out of the pan.  Brown some onion in a little fat, add the spinach back in and then add ~1/2 cup of full fat coconut milk and a little bit of salt, pepper and nutmeg.  I'd always eat it cold because the coconut tasted sweeter to me that way.  That 2 lb batch would usually get me 4 side servings.  

Hi!

I'm originally from Illinois too!  I saw your week meal plan and this is exactly what I've been asking for help with.  How did you do it?  I have a shopping list and I purchased the book that has some recipes, but what I'm really looking for is a "week at a glance" meal plan.

I'm not that creative with new veggies and foods and I don't want to eat the same things over and over again.  Did you make this plan on your own or find it somewhere?  I start the 30 days on Monday and I work all weekend, I don't have a lot of time to plan out breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week, let alone a whole month.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

J

Archived