Coffee with cream and sugar

tvk

Nearly done with my first Whole30! Great results. Lost weight; sleeping better; feeling better; higher, sustained energy. But there are few things that I have really missed; cream and sugar in my coffee being at the top of the list. I don't drink coffee for the caffeine because I can alternate between caff and decaf easily. It's just a nice way to start my morning. I haven't warmed up to black coffee and don't think I ever will. It was fine during the Whole30, just not as pleasant. If I could have this, I think I could eliminate all other sugars out of my diet for the long term. I promise. Please tell me that a splash of cream and lump of sugar won't ruin me.

• Moderators

This is why you do reintroductions -- to see how it does affect you and whether you think it's worth it. I still prefer cream in my coffee, but I'm okay with coconut milk. What I found when I did reintroductions after my first W30 is that having cream in my coffee one or two days in a row is no problem. No noticeable effects. But after doing some other reintroductions, I went back to mostly W30 eating, just adding the cream in my coffee every morning, and after doing that every day for two weeks, some of the aches and pains I'd had before and gotten rid of during W30 came back. It doesn't make sense to me to have it every morning now, but I'll have some occasionally when I'm out. 

That's just me, though. You may find you have absolutely no reaction to dairy, whether you have it occasionally or every day. You just have to pay attention to how you feel and use that to gauge what's worth it to you.

Edited to add: If you haven't yet, go check out the I Finished the Whole30 section of the website for more on reintroductions and riding your own bike.

Nearly done with my first Whole30! Great results. Lost weight; sleeping better; feeling better; higher, sustained energy. But there are few things that I have really missed; cream and sugar in my coffee being at the top of the list. I don't drink coffee for the caffeine because I can alternate between caff and decaf easily. It's just a nice way to start my morning. I haven't warmed up to black coffee and don't think I ever will. It was fine during the Whole30, just not as pleasant. If I could have this, I think I could eliminate all other sugars out of my diet for the long term. I promise. Please tell me that a splash of cream and lump of sugar won't ruin me.

A splash and dash may not ruin you. It sounds like you're a light coffee drinker.  After 30 days you can add back whatever you like.  Reintro's are a great plan to follow.  They'll really help you.

I couldn't get by with a splash and dash.   My coffee pot was my cup and my cream was 1 and 1/2 cups daily.  It did ruin me, in many ways.   It was really difficult to give that up for the first week.   I slept non-stop for 12 hours a night.

I'm over it and I don't ever want to return to that habit.  I haven't had that much coffee and cream for 4 months now.  

10616074_702359589840962_904249930099916

A splash and dash, you'll have to wait and see.  :) 

I am coming to the end of my first Whole 30 also.  I will say that cream and sugar in my coffee is something that I have truly missed but it wasn't really a deal breaker.  The first two weeks I drank it with as much coconut milk as I could put into it to turn it white; after that I just jumped in and drank it black.  My husband couldn't believe it.  I was the type that liked a little coffee with my cream and sugar.  Although by the time I started my 30, I had been using coconut sugar in my coffee for over a year.  It's not as sweet as the granulated white sugar.  I am not sure if I'm going to go back to drinking my coffee with cream and sugar.  I may do that when I get a cup out as a treat, but maybe not.  Now yogurt and gum is another story.  Those I truly truly miss.  And if could only pick one, I'd have to pick my Extra Peppermint Gum.  I just miss chewing it as I drive.  That goes back to when I quit smoking 8 years ago.  Gum will probably be my first reintroduction.

Archived