Family of 11 all starting on October 1

walley5

I am excited about my whole family (hopefully hubby will comply when he's away from home, but the rest of us definitely) starting the Whole30 program next week!  At the same time, I feel like I REALLY need to preplan as much as possible - food for a large family gets expensive fast, and although we have always eaten healthy, we do rely on inexpensive filling foods like rice a lot.  My children love salads and veggies, so I don't think compliance will be much of an issue as long as I have the right foods on hand.  Here's where I could use help - I have some health issues and sometimes feel awful, which is another reason I want to have as much planned ahead as possible.  I'd love any input or suggestions!

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you homeschool?  If so, that will make this SO much easier.  If you are going to have to pack lunches, deal with school parties, etc. -- I can't help you on that one.   :o

My #1 tip is that you are going to have to buy so much food, you won't even believe it.  We go through fresh vegetables and meat like crazy.  And I have a family of five.  So when you are at the store -- stock. up.  

My #2 tip is that you HAVE to set aside time to cut up all of those vegetables.  If I don't make myself do it the same day I bring them home, it ends up taking a lot of time away during our school day and/or when I am just SO ready to feed everyone supper at the end of our school day.  Having things already washed & cut up in your refrigerator, ready to go, is a big stress saver.  For sure.

My #3 tip would be to have a list -- in your kitchen -- of a few meals that you can throw together in a flash.  One thing we have been doing lately is a bag or two of frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrots and a few frozen tilapia fillets.  I put these all in my big wok together with some ghee & coconut oil, some garlic powder & salt.  All I have to do is go to the kitchen and stir, stir, stir, in between our school work -- and when it's done, it's done.  It is not the kids' favorite meal in the world, but they eat it.  They also love the chunky guacamole from Costco (yes, compliant) with a bunch of canned tuna mixed in.  (Polar brand is the only one I have found that has no soy).

Hard-boiled eggs on hand -- always.  We buy 12 dozen at a time from our local farm, and remember -- we are only feeding five!

I will come back and check in with you, for sure.  I hope you post throughout your journey!  Are you planning to keep a food log here?  That would be great!  :D

I was not planning on keeping a food log - I haven't even looked into that!  Yes, we do homeschool, that will make it much easier.  My oldest is in college and commutes, so he is looking for ideas of lunches to take - he is voluntarily doing the program and I'd like to help him succeed.  The skillet fish/veggie idea is great, thanks!  Do you put everything in at once?

I was not planning on keeping a food log - I haven't even looked into that!  Yes, we do homeschool, that will make it much easier.  My oldest is in college and commutes, so he is looking for ideas of lunches to take - he is voluntarily doing the program and I'd like to help him succeed.  The skillet fish/veggie idea is great, thanks!  Do you put everything in at once?

If you decide to keep a Whole 30 log, you can do that in this section:  http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/

I recommend it if you have the time, if you feel that it would be helpful to you along your journey.  We sort of use them like a diary/food journal.  It's great to be able to look back and see how far you've come!  :)

Yes, I just throw some frozen tilapia in the bottom of the pan (with coconut oil & ghee), then I put the veggies on top.  Go back and stir every now and then until it is done.  The fish breaks up in little pieces like tuna would.  Add whatever seasonings you want (garlic powder and salt go in almost everything at our house).  It is just SO easy.  I have to be able to have a few meals that can be thrown together like this to keep my sanity.  (And to keep from saying forget it and ordering take-out -- which you can't really do on a Whole 30).  ;)

For your son who is packing a lunch -- I have some of those Ziploc divided containers I found on Amazon.  I used to pack my food to go to ball games back in May when I did my first Whole 30.  Things I remember putting in those and taking with me:  can of tuna, peeled hard-boiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, baby carrots, apple slices with nut butter, olives, macadamia nuts.  Possibilities are endless... but those divided containers were very helpful.

I am starting my second whole30 on October 1.  I will follow this feed and see how you are doing and if I can offer any advice.  Over the summer my college athlete came home and announced he wanted to eat paleo like his parents.  Boy was that a huge change for us. Believe me cooking for an athlete sometimes feels like cooking for 11!  The one thing I would really encourage you to do is sign up for the emails.  I loved them and they really kept me going. I may even sign up for them again on my second whole30.

Another fast and easy meal...brown some burger of your choice with onions and garlic, drain and then add a bag of coleslaw mix(or shredded cabbage). Cook until the cabbage is done to your liking, add salt and pepper and then some compliant catsup (just tomato paste, Apple cider vinegar and spices) fast, easy and good! I've also seen where someone added coconut amigos and sracha for an oriental flare. I love the bagged coleslaw mix - when it goes on sale, I stock up! Can't beat 88 cents for a plateful of veggies!

Oh, and I grew up one of ten kids....loved being a part of a big family - we're all still close even tho we live in different parts of the country. I'm in awe of parents like you!

I'd also recommend planning to use your slow cooker pretty much every day - you're not going to get many leftovers with that many mouths to feed, but that'll be one less meal you have to think about at the end of the day.

And fill the kids up on potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, etc - they need the energy, and they're relatively cheap fillers.

I think using the slow cooker would be great... especially since my oven doesn't work, maybe I should have mentioned that!  I do have a broiler, just not a regular oven... and I've found it works well for many things, just not baking.  I have a roaster oven, though.  I'd love some slow cooker recipe suggestions if anyone has some!!!

Hi walley5!  My favorite slower cooker recipe (I use a 6QT):

PUMPKIN STEW

1.5 lbs beef stew meat

2lbs ground turkey

1 bag baby carrots

2 stalks celery, diced

1 green pepper, diced

2lbs butternut squash (pre-cut from Costco - yay!)

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 large onion, diced

spices of your choice (chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, 100% cacao, ground black pepper, etc)

No need to brown the beef or turkey.  Just lightly coat the inside of the crockpot with coconut oil so the meat won't stick, then layer the meats first, sprinkle with your seasonings of choice, and pile on the rest of the ingredients in whatever order you want.  Set on low for 7-8 hours.

When done, stir in 1-2 cans of pumpkin puree, and serve. 

Disclaimer: I haven't made this since last winter and I don't have the recipe written down.  I may have forgotten an ingredient but I don't think so. And of course, put in different quantities as you wish, as well as other ingredients if you want.  It's a nice, flexible recipe.

NOTE:  Make sure to read the labels of all packaged ingredients.  I was shocked to find there is sugar in the canned diced tomatoes I usually buy :(

If you can download it as an app - that's the easiest way to start. (If not, just go to Pinterst.com and sign up) Sign up for the free account and then in the search bar at the top of the page, type in a few words like you would in google. When you see something you like in your search results, you click on the red "pin it" and it will save it for you. Once you get used to it you can create folders to categorize your finds.

I love it because it's picture based. I never buy cookbooks that don't have tons of pictures. Now - I don't even buy cookbooks anymore thanks to Pinterest! Have fun :)

Just be wary of some of the recipes that say whole30.... A lot of times they have non-compliant ingredients. I'm amazed at seeing corn on a taco salad, cheese, and all sorts of breakfast ideas that have no vegetables at all! Remember the template.

A couple of my favorite sites are non-nom paleo and the clothes make the girl. . Both are filled with compliant meals dishes and are delicious.

Thanks Clarabelle- that is so true about non-compliant whole30 recipes. I have to say though, scrutinizing every recipe as well as grocery item labels has really taught me a lot about what is in my food and how I need to stay on my toes! :)

I have a spaghetti sauce in the crockpot right now:

2 lbs ground turkey

1 lb Italian sausage

2 onions, diced

2 green peppers, diced

4 cloves garlic,

2 zucchini, diced

28oz can crushed tomatoes

2 jars spaghetti sauce (Fresh & Easy house brand)

Liberal sprinkles of Italian spices

Set on low for 7 hours. I've got 3 acorn squash (halved) in the oven as well. So my super easy dinner this week will be a generous scoop of spag sauce, 1/2 acorn squash, and some greens (that I'll mix in as I reheat the sauce). Can't wait!

Giant Breakfast.............  2lb cooked spaghetti squash, (cook the night before,  2 large onions, 3 big cloves of garlic.4 big stalks of celery  ( I have all this in my garden) actually any veg or meat you want too, the trick is the spaghetti squash,    sauté in cocoanut oil and salt and pepper, beat 2 doz eggs place in several frypans with more cocoanut oil,  probably 3  maybe for or a griddle or two. ( I make much smaller batches for me) Anyway add everything on top, (make sure the burner is now on low so the eggs don't dry out) but lids on and when set turn off hear and let them sit for 5 min more to take moisture away.  so delicious and works as dinner too.

• 1 month later...

We had a great 30 days...  I would love to continue, but my family was ready to quit.  :-)   I have always eaten fairly healthy, so it wasn't a huge stretch for me, but I have added back in rice and some other grains (had oatmeal, etc), but we found quite a few new recipes that we all like.  

Archived