Diverticulits and Fat

Chez

Hi I am suffering my 3rd acute attack of Diverticulitis in less than 5 months. Did my 1st W30 in between 1 + 2. I read saturated fat is not good for this. Any ideas on whether fats like ghee and coconut oil would irritate my condition. Im having bulletproof coffee and adding a teaspoon of ghee to my pureed soup (which is all Im eating for 3 days) to add some more calories.

Thanks.

Thanks Deb

I did read that while trolling through 1000's of other sites/pages on the net. Thing is I've been doing Paleo for over 6mths now, exercising regularly and have dramatically cut down my wine intake, also lost 15kgs and done a W30. As I said this is my 3rd acute attack in 5 months, it so effing frustrating when I've been trying to to all the right things yet I've never been so sick. The anitibiotics I'm on are making me awfully nauseous and dizzy to boot.

But I do have a big pot of bone marrow broth bubbling on the stove as I type.

Thanks just bookmarked the article! Had my first episode last Christmas holiday. Was out of work for two weeks! Knock on wood had only one other episode this year. My doc gave me a recurring Rx of antibiotics to take within the first 4 hours of the signs. One of a few reasons I started changing my eating habits in July and why I am on day 23 of my first whole30.

I really feel like I should do another W30 but am supposed to be on a very LOW FIBRE diet for a couple of weeks until my gut heals. Is there anyway around this on a W30 or should I just wait?? 

I have gone off the antibiotics as they were making me horribly sick and have started on slippery elm and aloe vera juice.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated. Really want to get this thing out of my life!!!!

a low fibre diet is possible on the whole30, mainly by avoiding raw vegetables. Eating your vegetables well-cooked, and eating vegetables (vs, the white bread and yogurt suggested on these diets) will go a long way towards better nutrition and healing. give it a try.

• 1 year later...
Hi Forum W30 Enthusiasts

I am a big fan of WHOLE30 and I like it because over the last few years it has certanly changed my life for the better!

However I have had DIVERTICULITIS for 7 weeks now and it seams to be serious, because I've had to take 3 lots of antbiotic tablets and I was twice in hospital.  Fortunately no operation was done on me.   

My questions:
What foods and drinks should I avoid and what is ok for me now during my recovery and in the future how should I vary the W30 guidelines?

I recognize, that my favorite food coconutmilk helps somehow, but I would like some advice about its usage.  I use it in my coffee, tea, on fruit salad and in cooking.  

Thank you so much in advance for any replies.

Many greetings from Germany

Sabine Dyck

22 hours ago, SabineGER said:

What foods and drinks should I avoid and what is ok for me now during my recovery and in the future how should I vary the W30 guidelines?

A low fibre diet is recommended for those suffering from diverticulitis so you'd need to avoid raw veg, and I'd probably suggest removing the skin from the likes of cucumber, zucchini, or similar. 

It would also be helpful to include bone broth for it's healing properties.

Probiotics would also be good - kombucha might be easier on the digestive system than sauerkraut, or you could try a supplement.

Coconut milk is fine for Whole30 purposes, but branch out & try coconut oil, macnut oil, avocado, and home made mayo - all healthy choices which shouldn't bother your gut.

Hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived