What Can I Have?

conniebug

I'm on Day 3 of my first Whole30. I'm at work, and for lunch I brought the same nasty crap I've eaten for lunch for the past two days. I would really like something else. I can make a run to Walmart on my lunch break, but I don't know what to get.

I'm really craving avocado (actually, I'm craving cheese, but I figure I can try the 'cado). I thought about some sliced chicken breast and avocado, but then I read that the deli chicken is a no go. What can I have as a protien that is ready to eat from Walmart? Anything?

If nothing is, I'll stick with my tuna. But I'm really hating this.

I was going to suggest looking for compliant canned tuna, but I guess that's what you have already.  ;)

Could you look for compliant canned chicken breast?  I don't know if it exists at Walmart but you could check for one.

Does the Walmart grocery have a salad bar that would have hard boiled egg?

Trying to think 'out loud' here for you.  Good luck.

No salad bar.

I may be stuck with the tuna today. I'm thinking of picking up an avocado anyway. Maybe if I mash it into the tuna, it will help. I've never liked tuna with anything but mayo, and the mayo I have in it is the blandest, most tasteless crap ever. I'm ready to give up on homemade mayo.

• Moderators

I buy canned octopus at Walmart and make Octopus salad according to the directions on the package. :)

If your mayo is bland, you need to make it differently. I make mine with a tablespoon of yellow Jamaican curry, one half teaspoon of salt, 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, one egg, and 1.25 cups of light olive oil. It ain't bland. :)

I like ACV in my mayo too, for future batches. Plus you can always season the tuna salad with something else - I always put plenty of salt and pepper in mine, and you can flavor it however else you want. Dill and celery for deli style, apple and pecans for a little sweeter...

Both batches of mayo I made used lemon juice. I'll try the ACV tonight.

I think I might just not like tuna. I hadn't had any for a long time before starting this. I remembered likeing tuna sandwiches, but now I think maybe I liked bread and mayo, not so much the tuna, LOL. Oh well, I'll have chicken tomorrow. Maybe that will go better.

I tried canned tuna (even though I never liked it growing up) and just couldn't stomach it.  I ate what I made - two lunches worth with shredded carrots and homemade mayo but not since.  I have found that I really, really like canned wild salmon :)  I tend to saute it in a little ghee or avocado oil with some minced onion and paprika, basically something of a deconstructed salmon cake.  I love it.  It's my easy go to lunch when leftovers won't cut it - I make it at home in the morning and bring it to work...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived