low estrogen

LisaLulu

I've done 2 whole 30's (april and september) and loved the results. Tons of energy, looked great, good sleep, ect. The only concern was it completely crashed my estrogen levels. (Zero sex drive, no mid month cervical mucous, super short cycles, dry limp hair and night sweats before my period). I was worried I was in perimenopause. I am thin and lost about 8 pounds on my whole 30's.

After the second one I kept eating compliant at meals but started eating either pizza or chocolate every night (The only foods I deem 'worth it' after 2 whole 30's). I gained the weight back and my hormones went back to normal, but I didn't feel as 'good' during the day as I do whole 30. Then for the past few days I ate compliant again (but with lots of calories, fat, ect, I did not go hungry). Last night I had massive night sweats and even though I should be ovulating in a few days my EWCM completely dried up.

I really don't know what to think. I really want to keep my estrogen levels up (I might want another baby... and I really want my hair to shine like it normally does) but I like the energy levels and less body fat from whole 30. If I continue on for a few more months will my estrogen come back or will my hormones be completely messed up??

When I'm compliant I'm eating high fat, high calorie and even high carb (plenty of fruit, sweet potato, squash, ect). The only difference is I'm not eating an entire pizza or 100 grams of milk chocolate every night on top of everything else. 

I guess it's because I can't stomach more than 3 compliant meals a day if it makes sense, but I can stomach crap. I have also been pregnant, breastfeeding or both continuously since October 2008 so I don't even know what it's like to have a normal appetite/calorie needs anymore. I'm going to keep playing with compliant foods and see what I can do to eat more. My body fat must have just dipped too low. 

I guess it's because I can't stomach more than 3 compliant meals a day if it makes sense, but I can stomach crap. I have also been pregnant, breastfeeding or both continuously since October 2008 so I don't even know what it's like to have a normal appetite/calorie needs anymore. I'm going to keep playing with compliant foods and see what I can do to eat more. My body fat must have just dipped too low. 

This. I think in your situation it might make sense to drop the 3-meals-per day idea and just get some more compliant food into your body. Maybe throw a 4th compliant meal in where you would be adding that pizza or chocolate? 

I think part of my problem is I just can't stomach eating protein 4 meals a day so I might have to toss the template out for the 4th meal and just carb it up with some fruit or other snack at the time I would either be eating pizza/chocolate. I don't like nuts or dried fruits but I love plantain chips with guacamole. 

In your situation, eating plantain chips and guac or eating a piece of fruit are not the end of the world. Both of these are a huge step in the right direction vs. pizza and chocolate.

Maybe go ahead and eat those for a while. Then put in the effort to try to do it even better. Have a sweet potato one night with coconut butter and cinnamon. Fry an egg and put it on top. Have some spaghetti squash or butternut squash or belly dance beet salad and some leftover pulled pork, of just put a pile of pork next to the guac and scoop it up with those plantain chips. It doesn't have to be elaborate or perfect, just start giving your body more of what it needs.

Maybe because I was eating such a massively high carb diet pre whole 30's my metabolism is thinking that eating fruit and starchy veggies IS very low carb but over time my body will realize it isn't starving. I really don't want to go back to eating poorly so I guess I'll just eat lots of fruit and root veggies and hopefully it will even out. I'm pretty sure nature never intended for us to be filling up on pizza and dairy milk bars. 

Lisa, I know what you mean. I have been nursing (not any longer) and training for marathons on w30 and just like you said I have the feeling that I need more than the template, but I just can't stomach a fourth meal before bed. I am all egg-fish-meat and veggied out and would rather go hungry. So I either do that or I eat nuts and fruit. If I don't eat at night I end up face first in a puddle of ice cream a few nights later. So I think I need the calories, I'd just prefer not getting them from chocolate. I am still struggling with how to get the food in without eating like crap.

Archived