I'm confused! Are nuts protein?

I've been looking at a number of whole 30 groups and recipes and many people seem to be having breakfasts of fruit, nuts and coconut and some even add coconut oil "so there's a fat component" my understanding from the meal template was that nuts are regarded as fats for whole 30 purposes, and as such a much smaller portion size would be used. Whenever I question where's the protein? I thought you were meant to have protein every meal? I'm always met with the same response "nuts are protein". I know nuts are compliant, but are they regarded as protein for the purposes of the meal planning template?

Thank you for your help :-)

Nuts in limited quantities are considered a fat source on a Whole30. The shopping list is a good starting reference for protein, vegetable and fat sources.

While the fruit, nut and coconut breakfasts are technically compliant, they're not the best choice since, among other things, they're missing protein and vegetables.  You're correct in that, for best results, Whole30 recommends that each meal fit the meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. 

• Moderators

Rather than embracing the spirit of the Whole30 program, lots of people adopt "technically compliant" approaches that allow them to eat close to how they are used to eating. The Whole30 delivers the biggest results to people who get into the spirit of the program and eat real protein, veggies, and fat at every meal. The technically compliant folks get some results too, but could do so much better. 

Thank you GFChris and Tom Denham.  I appreciate you taking the time to reply and am glad to know that I am on track with how I am doing it and can just ignore all these suggestions which look delicious but seem to not comply, both from lack of protein, lack of veg and far too much fruit.

I'm on Day 12 now and after feeling pretty horrid through Days 4-10 I'm finally starting to feel normal(ish) again.

Thanks again
Bethany

Reminds me of the Spartan Sprint I did, my buddy who left the race early due to an ankle injury (he's obese) *still* received a "Finisher" t-shirt!!

Not everyone who says they're doing a W30 actually is. But, in a theme similar to the post-W30 "learn to ride your own bike" metaphor, this is all an individual journey we're on.  As Melissa has said, this is a program they simply made up.  The rules are the rules, and while yes there is science to back them up, they are still arbitrary.  And we've seen the rules evolve over the years.  Heck, look at the Vegetarian W30.

I know I sometimes feel a little self-satisfied in the grocery store when I see people's carts filled with tv dinners and cookies and all that other stuff. It's hard for me to resist judging people when I see them making choices I feel to be sub-optimal (whether it's diet-related or other areas in life).  But that's something I'm trying to improve.  There's no merit badges in this life.

Archived