Reintroduction and Thanksgiving

AprilLynne

Today is my day 30. I have tomorrow, then thanksgiving. On thanksgiving I was planning on having turkey, mashed potatoes, and roasted veggies. All Whole30 compliant. The main thing I am looking forward too is pumpkin pie!!! And maybe a sliver of Apple pie.

How can this work with reintroduction?? There are several groups of foods invloed her. Don't want to undo what I've done and understand reintroduction is important. Help!!!!!

• Moderators

Pie mixes grains, dairy, and sugar, so you can't get helpful reintroduction information when you eat it. There is no way to tell if you are responding to the grains, the dairy, or the sugar. What you can do is enjoy your pie on Thanksgiving, then return to strict Whole30 eating for a few days or until you feel great again if you have "symptoms," and then reintroduce with simple foods like a piece of bread at each meal to test grains one day, yogurt or a cup of milk at each meal to test dairy one day, etc. 

or, you could refrain from having pie  :) .

I make an almost totally whole30 compliant thanksgiving every year (coconut milk and ghee in my mashed potatoes, a ground-meat-based stuffing, etc) and I've been quite happy eating pumpkin custard for dessert (with coconut milk, but also maple syrup--so not whole30 compliant). My non-whole30 relatives have not complained. I'm not even sure if they have noticed.  :ph34r:

Tom - thanks for the advice. I think I will follow that. For me (by choice) skipping the pumpkin pie isn't an option. It's my grandma's recipe and I make it every year to rave reviews. I could skip all the rest as long as I have a slice of that pie, look forward to it every year. Only time I eat it! So, complient today, 5K tomorrow morning, then comlplient Thanksgiving dinner, plus pie, then back on track Friday!!

For me (by choice) skipping the pumpkin pie isn't an option. 

um, not to be a jerk, but skipping it is an option.

It is your choice to have it--and that choice is fine--but language matters. For some people, their reaction to gluten is severe enough that having it isn't an option, but skipping it is always an option. There is no food that you are required to eat, even if your grandmother made it herself, you get to decide when and if you want to eat it.

I'm making individual pumpkin pie tarts without sugar and flour.  I'll be using crushed nuts for the crust and a coconut whipped cream on top with pumpkin pie spices.   

Cranberry Citrus Green Beans - cranberries, citrus, slivered purple onions and shredded orange peel

Roasted Sweet Potato Cups - egg whites, orange zest and spices

Roasted Garlic Brussels Sprouts - red pepper flakes, bacon, garlic

Harvest Turkey Cranberry Soup - with leftover turkey, roasted sweet potatoes, acorn squash, cranberries, coconut milk

Cranberry Sauce  - oranges, orange zest, blackberries, cranberries

I have a dried coconut milk powder that I use/thicken any recipe.  It's  0 grams of sugar and  1 gram of carb for 3 Tablespoons.

It's better for me than coconut flour for my zero sugars Whole 30 Slow Roll Reintro purposes.

This is what most coconut flours have....

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 2 Tbsp. (14 g)
Servings per Container: 32

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 62 *

Calories from Fat 16 *

Total Fat 1.5 g 2%

Saturated Fat 0.5 g 2%

Trans Fat 0 g 0%

Cholesterol 0 mg 0%

Sodium 30 mg 1%

Total Carbohydrates 8 g 3%

Dietary Fiber 5 g 20%

Sugars 1 g *

Protein 2 g *

almost-thanksgiving-550x320.jpg

Sorry for the misunderstanding Missmary - I didn't mean that it wasn't an option period!, just not one for me. Perhaps your right, bad choice of words. I think Tom understood my question best. I don't want to skip the pie, I don't want to mess with the recipe. I know both are options, not ones I want to take. I wanted to know how to eat my pie (consciously going off road) and how to get back on track. Sorry for all the confusion :0).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

I've has this pie since I was a little girl. Been making it myself for 30 years. I think this is one if the beauties of Whole30. I can make the choice to have it, accept the consequences (if there is some) and get right back on the road again. Thats why I decided to try Whole30, there are no foods that I am required to eat, but no foods that are forbidden, just making wise, informed choices.

Archived