Freezer full of meat

Vian

Full of grass fed and finished, antibiotic amd hormome free beef and lamb. I got a side of beef from Melissa at Skylines farm, amd a whole lamb from Eileen at Ramstead ranch. My deep freeze is FULL! Amd the meat is soooooo good! I made a pot roast with the beef, and roasted a leg of lamb for thanksgiving. Best meat I've ever tasted,

post-32507-14172772511052_thumb.jpg

here grassfed organic beef/pork is outrageous !  The prices are understandable but not attainable for me.  So Jealous of your freezer full !

Same with where I live. Well, pastured pork is not available at all, unless you go hunting I guess. I pay astonishing amounts of money just for conventional beef here. (Also, when we got to add white potatoes in to Whole30, I gave a huge sigh of relief - the price difference per pound between white and sweet where I live is about two dollars.)

I could never afford grassfed beef if I bought it by the cut. It's $6/lb for ground at the farmer's market during the summer, and even more at the co-op in the off season. It goes up in price from there, up to $20+ per pound for steaks. But to buy a side of beef direct from the farmer, it was $4.30/lb. hanging weight. My half was 270lbs, plus a $217 processing fee for the butcher. I paid about $1400 for my half cow, and because I asked for EVERYTHING, I probably got about 250lbs. of actual product (I got the heart, liver, oxtail, bones, tallow, all bone-in cuts of meat, etc.) so $1400 divided by 250lbs. is about $5.60/lb. Thats for everything from bones, ground beef and offal, all the way up to porterhouses, tenderloin and ribeyes. I used my tax return to buy all the meat. 

The lamb was $5.50/lb, and was 37lbs. hanging weight. It came out to about $250. 

Archived