Transglutaminase

Munkers

My husband and I are getting ready to start our Whole 30 on January 1 and I've been checking up on some of the products that got us through our first Whole 30. The last time we did this, we managed to find a compliant smoked salmon that made an easy grab and go protein snack. When I looked at a package over the weekend though, I found that the salmon now contains transglutaminase. At first I thought this was some sort of MSG, but after some reading found that this is the infamous "meat glue." I'm assuming this is out now?

As I dig through wiki, I do see reference to the ability of TG to convert glutamine into free glutamic acid so while it isn't one of the 40 names for MSG, it creates an ammonia by-product from glutamine and causes your endocrine CEO, the hypothalamus, to become somewhat deaf to digestive system hormonal signals.  Your MSG concerns confirm that you realize MSG overexcites the cells in your brain to death.

Buy some salmon, and Google Alton Brown Pot Smoker.  No, not that pot.  $50 and you're smokin'.  Maybe not the best idea in January if you live in the tundra, though.

This isn't the pink slime stuff, if anyone is wondering :) I'm not sure if it's compliant, I will get someone else to get back to you on that.

While it is a food safe additive, I would avoid it in anything you don't cook as the physical addition of it can introduce bacteria to the inner-wet surface of meats and without cooking, can increase your risk of food poisoning. It's also used to make meat look whole, when it's not, so you may be paying more than you should for a product with this in. Locally sometimes I can get little salmon pieces very cheap in a pack (clearly the scraps from big smoked salmon fillets).

There's lots of good salmon out there without this stuff in it.

If you have any locally, try a kosher deli or a European deli. Some shops have more choices than others.

• Moderators

It is important to appreciate that something you eat may be Whole30-compliant while we would recommend that you avoid it. Transglutaminase falls into that category. "Meat glue" is technically compliant, but its presence means you are dealing with a "food product" that is not at all what the Whole30 is about. There is no such thing as "meat glue" in the real, whole, fresh foods that the Whole30 recommends you eat. 

The point of having this salmon on hand was as an "I've had a horrific day and if I don't eat right now, someone is going to die" type of food. Our Costco carries all-meat/whole foods chicken sausages so we'll probably lean on those for emergency protein instead. I'll probably delay my smoked salmon consumption until February when we can go back to our favorite brand which has a small amount of honey used in the cure.

We have a Costco membership and have easy access to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Central Market, and Sprouts (known as Henry's or Sunshine Mart in other parts of the country, I think).  I'll admit that I haven't checked TJ's or Whole Foods for smoked salmon so maybe they have something.

Archived