Over 60 and starting first whole30

Cherylb46 - Way to go!  You are going to feel like you are eating more than you used to.  Look into the Whole30 Resources and pull out the Meal Planning.  That really helps to remind you what your plate should look like. When I first went Paleo, I was vegan for about 1 year and that was not working for me.  Paleo does really take away the edge.  Don't forget the veggies!  One thing that I like when I don't feel good is a green salad with smoked salmon (without sugar - you can find at Whole Foods) or canned salmon.  I then add a few onions, capers, tomatoes, avocado and then top with EVOO and lemon juice.  It is so satisfying.

Thank you! I am trying to take it all in. Feeling a little better today.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Live in Seattle and I fell into a vat of champagne and jalapeño poppers when the Hawks did that thing they did! 13 days in and starting over (after the super bowl). I learmed so much and was just really starting to feel the benefits. Argh but what a game folks!

OH my, I am so proud of your confessional skills..Cindylou and kathikay...! and how you are starting again from day one!!!!!!  Life just happens doesn't it?  Can't get all weird about it...just move on to the next start day....Luckily, I'm from Michigan, so no hopes that the Lions are going to get in my way!  ah ha ha...

Day 16....no tiger blood....I think I'm going to be someone who needs at least 60 days....if not more...!  But I'm digging it so far so whatever....I have zero things to get in the way....so it's not that I'm all that disiplined, (sp?) I just don't have any temptations....

Tonight I'm making the shehpards pie with the sweet potatoes...smells good in the oven, hope it tastes good because I'm in a rut food wise.  Last few days, food was boring, reheated, uninspired....time to kick it up a notch cooking wise.

Get back on that horse girls, and we will see you at the end....you were going to do it longer than 30 days anyways, right????

(sorry about my spelling tonight.....mind isn't clear)  YET!!!!!!!!!

• Administrators

I know that mod AmyS made a comment last week about this particular thread but I just have to add my own 2 cents. I LOVE coming in here and seeing what you guys are up to.  You are all so positive and happy and matter of fact. You take suggestions well and you help each other so nicely.  It is a breath of fresh air to pop in here every day!

:)

Keep on keeping on!

Been absent from posting but reading along - I forgot my log in name! I'm with you, Kbingy....need some new foods! I did a grocery run on Sunday and roasted up lots of veggies.....broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, beets, rutabaga, sweet potatoes. Made an egg bake and a butternut squash, sausage stuffing casserole (celery, onions, thyme and poultry seasoning and some slivered almonds). Put most of that in individual portions in the freezer and pulled one out tonight and cooked an egg to put on top.

Realizing I think i,m eating too much of the 'fat' portion of the meal template.....I know my #1 goal was to go thirty days with no alcohol (lots of alcoholism in my family and I realized I was turning to it every night so I need to know that I can walk away from wine). I have replaced the glass with a cup of tea when I get home at night....sip on that while cooking or watching tv or reading. A healthier habit for sure! I also really like the no snacking rule! That one I need because I'm not normally a person who experiences hunger.....I dont miss a meal! But I tend to snack when I'm bored, or tipsy, or upset, or...... So keeping the no snacking rule has been great for Me!

If any of you have yet to make the sunshine sauce from the clothes make the girl blog....do it! I use almond butter and pour it over some cooked, cubed chicken....then it tops any veggie I have cooked. I like it over cooked cabbage, broccoli, carrots, peppers, rutabaga, or even a bag of oriental steam fresh mix ( broccoli, sugar snap peas, cauliflower and water chestnuts)

Another fast and easy meal is browned hamburger, sautéed cabbage (I buy bags of coleslaw mix) and a small can of tomato paste...and lots of garlic and onions, salt & pepper. My three year old grandson loves nana's goulash! Makes a good leftover to reheat for lunch!

I made a yummy shepherds pie with sweet potatoes the other night.....next time I need to add more vegies tho! Only got two servings from a full lb of hamburger!

Have a good week everyone!

Guar gum can cause this for some folks. Most of us are fine, but if you find you do better without it, it's great that you have an option.

I am on day 5 and I really want to weigh myself! Before starting whole30 I was a habitual weigher! It is driving name crazy!

• Administrators

I am on day 5 and I really want to weigh myself! Before starting whole30 I was a habitual weigher! It is driving name crazy!

Don't do it!!!! Here is some awesome reading about why the scale doesn''t matter. If you're craving the scale, read these articles. Over and over. And tell yourself that you are not cattle and do not need to be weighed.

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

http://whole9life.com/2013/04/repost-break-up-with-your-scale/

http://whole30.com/2012/08/new-health-scale/

If any of you have yet to make the sunshine sauce from the clothes make the girl blog....do it! I use almond butter and pour it over some cooked, cubed chicken....then it tops any veggie I have cooked. I like it over cooked cabbage, broccoli, carrots, peppers, rutabaga, or even a bag of oriental steam fresh mix ( broccoli, sugar snap peas, cauliflower and water chestnuts)

Another fast and easy meal is browned hamburger, sautéed cabbage (I buy bags of coleslaw mix) and a small can of tomato paste...and lots of garlic and onions, salt & pepper. My three year old grandson loves nana's goulash! Makes a good leftover to reheat for lunch!

I made a yummy shepherds pie with sweet potatoes the other night.....next time I need to add more vegies tho! Only got two servings from a full lb of hamburger!

Clarabelle, your improvised meals sound delicious, and easy!  Your grandson knows what he's talking about.

I always chuckle when people say they can't eat this way because it's too much work. With some creative seasonings and sauces, simple food becomes special.

OMG....the shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes was divine!!!!! Even my husband is a fan....it'll be one of my go to recipes...BTW, I had made a double batch of ground meat as per suggestion on Well Fed, and had put a couple of sweet potatoes in the oven the night before while cooking squash for that nights dinner, so putting it together was simple and quick. I used the recipe from: friskylemon.com....I think it's the best!

Today is my shopping day. I went through my cook books, went through the web links like nom nom.....so many ideas, so little time....!!! and only so many meals one can eat in a day!!!

Wow, day 17....time is flying....

BTW....Chreryl, I want to weigh myself too!!!!!!!  I am trying so hard to think of this as a healthy way of  eating and not a quick fix weight loss diet and that helps For me, weight loss is a bonus.....but not my reason for eating this way.  Also, my clothes are fitting better, I look better....my tummy is down....so you can see and feel different...the scale is not the only measure of you!!!  Hope that helps, from one scale junkie to another....:)

Clarabelle, I too was hitting that wine bottle too often in the evenings....I found it gave me more energy?  Does that even make sense?  It feels good to walk away from that habit as well...I think it's a sneaky habit, that is considered okay for women to drink because you see references to women and wine constantly everywhere you go....like it's our god given right to wallow in wine for all things.....hmmm....interesting...

Have a FABULOUS W30 day out there fellow oldsters....who aren't really old!!!!  ha ha

Guar gum can cause this for some folks. Most of us are fine, but if you find you do better without it, it's great that you have an option.

This morning, before I rolled out of bed, I gave a lot of thought to jumping on the scale. I had every intention of doing it....until I was in the bathroom. I looked at the scale and reminded myself of that comment by Mellissa Joulwan about cheating at solitaire. I can wait EIGHT more days.

I'm feeling thinner, lighter, and more energetic. No need to allow the scale to cramp my style.

Thank you, Rebe_J

While I want to weigh, I haven't. I am just not feeling the weight loss yet, and I have always used the scale to validate my efforts. I am determined to not get on the scale. I am still learning the program, so in time I am sure I will notice a difference. I can wait 20 more days!!

January 22-Day 22...greetings all young at heart!

Las Vegas was fun and the buffets made it easy to locate Paleo-friendly foods. Eight days to go and then reintroduction; food sensitivities aside, cooking this way isn't that difficult. Reading labels can be mind blowing, the science names for sugar are sneaky!

Life is good...so grok on everyone!

January 22-Day 22...greetings all young at heart!

Las Vegas was fun and the buffets made it easy to locate Paleo-friendly foods. Eight days to go and then reintroduction; food sensitivities aside, cooking this way isn't that difficult. Reading labels can be mind blowing, the science names for sugar are sneaky!

Life is good...so grok on everyone!

I am amazed that you didn't cheat while in Vegas...as you know, whatever you did would "stay there"!!!  That is AWESOME!

Myself...I woke up at 2 in the morning with a terrible ear ache that went down into my jaw so I couldn't even hardly open my mouth, much less chew...by the time I got out of the dr. office at 12:30, I hadn't eaten at all....so went to the grocery store next to the pharmacy, and couldn't find anything W30 in their deli, (I was hoping for some soup)....it was the first time I felt like just saying "FORGET IT"!  I was in so much pain, and felt weak and dizzy...I just wanted to dive into a warm anything bad.  I didn't do it...got some and thawed out some of my chocolate chili....This is hard when you are sick....just saying!

Day 19, kinda depressed and wishing this was over, but know that this too shall pass once I'm on my feet again.  BTW. with antibiotics, no yogurt is allowed. I'm hoping the bottle of probiotics I bought will be enough to deal with my gut flora getting knocked down. Anyone familiar with this while on W30?

• Administrators

Day 19, kinda depressed and wishing this was over, but know that this too shall pass once I'm on my feet again.  BTW. with antibiotics, no yogurt is allowed. I'm hoping the bottle of probiotics I bought will be enough to deal with my gut flora getting knocked down. Anyone familiar with this while on W30?

Acidophilus is the primary bacteria in yogurt that helps to prevent a yeast infection while on antibiotics.  I've always taken the acidophilus w/ antibiotics and done fine, I can't consume dairy.  If your probiotics are of a similar kind (one tip, acidophilus needs to be refrigerated) you should be fine.

January 24-day 24....Greetings everyone!

I am 67 yy today and very happy to be here. This year has already started me on a new adventure with food and my pre-conceived notions regarding healthy foods has changed drastically. I enjoy trying new dishes, my dh made Egg Fu Yong for breakfast (whisk 5 eggs, salt & pepper, add 2 cups of veggies per person together and cook like pancakes) and it was delicious! Eggs are very versatile.

Btw, America's Test Kitchen has a Gluten Free cookbook that I have ordered, I look forward to their foolproof recipes.

Moderator: I miss my unsweetened 88% chocolate (not the butter) in my Bulletproof Coffee, after the W30 is over, when can I re-add it??

Thank you.

When we were in Vegas, I brought the canned coconut milk, coconut oil and the Magic Bullet; we made and drank them before going to breakfast. I just could not go without it! Is this another addiction to gain control over?

Anyway ev1 have a good day and grok on!

Happy Birthday, Lazykitty!  Congrats on spending time in Vegas and staying compliant.  I love America's Test Kitchen and have their Gluten Free cookbook.  It has some nice recipes in it, but a lot of them are not all that healthy.  They contain flours and ingredients that are high on the glycemic scale.

Day 8!  How did that happen?  I am so glad I signed up for the daily e-mails since they remind me what day I am on.  Cognitive issues suck, so all the little tools are helpful.  Part of why I am loving the whole 30 is that I know what I can eat!  Other "diet plan" attempts have been too vague, or complicated!  Today for breakfast I had a yam and chicken - outside usual breakfast thinking, but it works!

I am a bit bored today - I recognize that food is a friend I have used for too long to deal with the loneliness I feel.  It's hard to make friends at 58, and the computer has become my "friend" which gets old after awhile!

Keeping on, one positive change at a time!

Hello fellow W30's.  Day 23 for me.  Not sleeping better, not feeling skinnier, but plugging on!  I take pictures of my breakfasts every day and some of the other meals that "look" good.  It is my way of keeping accountable with my daughters that are across the country.  Have requested several cookbooks from the library, but still waiting for them.  My DH is counting the days down...I am not...not sure if I will stop at 30 days. In one month on WW I felt thinner and could see the lbs drop via the scale.  On day 30 I will weigh my self.  I had fasting blood draw the other day so it will be interesting to see if there are any benefits there.

Happy Birthday Lazykitty....I hope it was a good one?  Did you have cake and ice cream????? NO??? well, good for you!  I'm learning how to celebrate without food and wine.....kinda.....ha ha I haven't had to really put it to the test yet!

Actually, this haven't been a good week.  Day 21....been achy, stuffed up, bloated, tired, constipated, all week.....I keep trying to figure out what food is causing this....I cut out coconut products, and it helped with the arthritis in my hands but all over achy continues.  I am thinking of not eating eggs this next week.  Just to see since so many people seem to think it could be a problem. Anyone got any ideas?  I am hoping the next 9 days gets better.  Although, I am doing this for 60 days....cus I can, and after that, I am doing Paleo!

Hope all is well with my old foggy friends!  Anyone experiencing Tiger Blood yet?  I'm looking forward to that!

Archived