Over 60 and starting first whole30

Lazykitty, how fun to have your husband jump on board!  Mine is doing this by default....sort of....he snacks because he isn't really doing it.  But I think he is still reaping benefits from good cooked meals.

I agree it's great to see people of an age....(we are not THAT old!) out and about doing SOMETHING, anything!  I have been trying to cross country ski everyday with a rest day thrown in when I don't sleep well.  My problem is trying no to over do it but i feel so so so much better when I've been outside breathing the fresh air for an hour or so.

Day 9....i slept for 8.5 hours!!!!  Best sleep so far!  I'm beginning to have more than blind faith in this W30 thing.  Thought it funny that the timeline was true again.  ad serious bloating yesterday....and some today as well.  Not worried, this too shall pass!

Have a FAB day out there fellow old W30ers.....I'm feeling less "old" as the days go on.....YEAH!

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering if anyone else has more pain now than before starting?

Other than that, well, heck,,,it's day 8, all is well.  Karen

I babysit my youngest granddaughter in the mornings before taking her to kindergarten, and I help out with my mom who is in a retirement home by doing her shopping, taking her to the doctor, etc. You'd think that would be enough to keep me moving, but I know I'm way to sedentary for a healthy life. When I first started the program, I had a burst of energy and felt great, so must have overdone an exercise doing sprints. I ended up somehow hurting my left heel and twisting a knee....great! It now feels like a stone bruise under my left heel and I'm wearing a soft brace on my knee. I'm less concerned with the knee than my heel. Stretches help temporarily, but when I first standup and try to walk...ouch. There is no way to avoid limping. Mild walking sooths the pain, but prolonged walking seems to agrivate the situation so that by the times I complete my daily chores I'm just plain sore. Needless to say, I'm pretty discouraged because I feel that unless I increase my physical activity I won't see the result that I want. Anyone have a similar experience or have some words of wisdom?

Mavis, Don't really have words of wisdom but I feel bad for ya!  I know when I can't exercise, it really bums me out.  HOWEVER, maybe you could think of this as a good time to practice resting your body and maybe get out that old yoga tape you know you have hidden away somewhere? I think it's important to think outside the box too, so even if you just do some stretching and some small strength workouts, it would help.  Also, I don't think it will make a difference for the W30 but someone with more experence should chime in here.  Stay strong, as you know, this too shall pass....Hang in there!!!!!!! :)

January 13 = Day 13...tomorrow is two weeks! Mavis, sorry you are hurting and I hope you recover soon.

I have fewer aches (after bowling yesterday and walking alot!) than I normally do. Today's challenge is to 'play'...I don't believe I remember how to just play. Plus do my wall push-ups, pull-ups, wall squats and planks (this done 2x/wk. for 15 - 30 minutes). I figure I am beginner, maybe for awhile...but I will begin to build my stamina.

I dreamt about pancakes and syrup! Strange, because chips have always been downfall.

Have good day ev1.

Hi all.

Day 13 for me and so far, so good. I have been suffering with a head cold for a few days and finally feel better. My plan to ramp up my activity will have to wait a bit until I'm feeling stronger. My kettle bells are getting dusty...

Not having any compliant cold remedies, I drank hot water with lemon juice for my sore throat, and have been using my NetiPot to rinse my sinuses.

I didn't have much of an appetite on Days 11 & 12, except for thinking a big Danish pastry would make me feel better. A cup of bone broth did the trick.

I'm on the mend in time to take care of husband, who woke up with a sore throat. He's not doing W30 this time, but eats mostly Paleo, anyway.

Rebe

I noticed that you have kettle bells. I looked at the DVD, the Kettlebell Boomer that was mentioned in the Whole 30 email today. I am very intrigued because I need to find something I enjoy for strength training. The DVD is pricey, so I'm still thinking it over. How do you know which size kettle bell to buy? I have a rebounder (mini-tramp), Lesle Sanson walking DVD, and an exercise DVD. In Michigan you can't always count on being able to walk outside.

This is the end of day 7 for me

Yesterday I almost took a sip of my husbands glass of wine good thing he took it with him when he left the room. I am amazed that I have gone 7 days with out any alcohol. I did the Whole 30 in September so I know I can do it but the first week is always the hardest.

Cyndi Lou - Wine is the hardest thing for me to give up as well.  Every day I say Thats It..I'm having me some vino!   But  some how I manage to stick to my program.  Crazy business this wine stuff!  Hang in there - look how far we have come!

Kathi

So I feel kinda AH-mazing!  If you recall, my reason for the Whole30 was to reduce inflammation and try to alleviate some intense leg nerve pain left over from back fusion surgery 5 months ago.  I have had weeks at a time where there was no improvement at all.  I am happy to report a marked improvement!  I had a busy day and almost no pain. okay, I got pain tonite...but to go all day and feel semi normal?...holy cow, I am so excited, surprised and just hoping it isn't a fluke.  If this is day 10...I'm taking tap lessons on day 30!  (liar)...but I am pretty excited!

Clothes are loose®.  I lost 25 pounds prior to starting this program so I really didn't expect much in the way of weight loss but I'm guessing I've dropped another 3-5.  I have 25 more to lose...I was kinda chubby...cute....but chubby.  :)  Feeling the Whole30 love tonite!

Kathi

Rebe

I noticed that you have kettle bells. I looked at the DVD, the Kettlebell Boomer that was mentioned in the Whole 30 email today. I am very intrigued because I need to find something I enjoy for strength training. The DVD is pricey, so I'm still thinking it over. How do you know which size kettle bell to buy? I have a rebounder (mini-tramp), Lesle Sanson walking DVD, and an exercise DVD. In Michigan you can't always count on being able to walk outside.

I love my kettle bells. For half the cost of a year's membership to a gym, I set up a home KB studio, complete with bells, DVDs, TV, mat, etc. My starter kit of 'bells included one each of 8kg, 12kg, and 16kg. My mat is 4x6 feet, so you can see how little space you need.

Answering your question is a bit complicated. I apologize in advance for being so verbose. B)

I would say a single KB is not enough, even to start, but for testing the waters, I'd get one that's 8kg or 18 lbs. You are stronger than you think you are.

Kettlebell Boomer is an excellent DVD, in my opinion. Andrea DuCane teaches proper technique, using real "boomers" who are regular people, not fitness models. I also have her DVD, Kettlebell Goddess, which is a little more advanced, but offers a lot of variety.

Other authors to look for: Pavel Tsatsouline, Tracy Reiflind (author of the book, Swing, and excellent website with free workouts), Lauren Brooks (free app with KB workouts), Neghar Fanooni (Lean & Lovely). There are many more, but avoid trainers without the certification of SFG or RKC. Especially avoid Jillian Michaels; her KB techniques are downright dangerous.

All of the recommended trainers will insist that beginners get at least one training session in person with a certified trainer. That runs about $50, but is worth it if it prevents injury. KBs are awkward--which makes them effective--and proper technique is critical.

I hope that helps. I could go on, but...

Day 14 for me, too. It's good to see that others are noticing positive effects. I haven't noticed any real change in how my clothes fit, but... I have been more mindful of food urges and cravings. And I've resisted them. Five minutes is usually all it takes.

Day 6 of this stupid cold. I know I'm better; I think I'm nearly ALL Better. :)

I have been extremely lax with my activity, and just when I committed to ramping it up, here came the sore throat/cold. Husband is suffering today from "my" cold, so while he's resting, I think I'll spend an hour in my "gym" with my kettlebells. Easy does it...

January 14 = Day 14...the halfway mark is in sight! Good morning ev1.

Today's daily had links to recipes by chefs that we have talked about and some new ones. Quite a few of these have recipe apps that you can download and look at. Also the kitchen utensils are interesting. Cooking/prepping are not chores but intentional fun

Externally: Age spots are diminishing, skin is softer, my clothes are getting bigger, I am so much happier and more positive about life.

Internally: My gut flora love this way of eating, brain fog has cleared for a sunny future!

Life is getting better and better....grok on!

Great to hear all the positive results.  (Gets me excited for the future) I am on day 10.  I thought I might bring back in half and half....I had some foolish reason for it.  ha ha ha...anyhoo...then I read the timeline of day 10 and 11 and how people fall off at this point. hmmm....interesting....so no, I'm not going to rationalize the half and half, I'm going to go the next 20 days on TARGET so I can be a day 14 person, and a day 20 person, etc...

Kitty, WOW, AGe spots?  I hadn't thought to lo0k at them....I will now.

Kettle bells....would they also be good for leg workouts?  I'm going to have to goggle this.  Never heard of them.  

I am feeling ok, clothes seem looser, but finger pain still going....I am now wondering if it's from the time I spend in sub zero weather every day? (Baby it's cold out there) I am leaving on the 21st for the southwest, where I hope it's not only warmer, but also dryer and sunnier.  I am wondering if aches and pains might have to do with weather on top of diet.  Anyone else out there have thoughts on this?

Have a GREAT day out there....BTW, Just thinking we should all chat over a glass of wine on day 31...:)

• Administrators

Great to hear all the positive results.  (Gets me excited for the future) I am on day 10.  I thought I might bring back in half and half....I had some foolish reason for it.  ha ha ha...anyhoo...then I read the timeline of day 10 and 11 and how people fall off at this point. hmmm....interesting....so no, I'm not going to rationalize the half and half, I'm going to go the next 20 days on TARGET so I can be a day 14 person, and a day 20 person, etc...

Glad you're not doing it!  Could be a bit of an extinction response where your brain is trying to go back to what was familiar. The old "Don't want to go forward but can't go back" conundrum.  Rest assured you definitely can go forward...without dairy!  Stay strong!  :)

Rebe, thank you for all the detailed info you posted about your kettle bells activity. You certainly sound like a seasoned pro and I appreciate your advice and recommendations. It has given me much to think about. I know I need to be more active and I think the key is finding something you enjoy. I already have my sit-down activities that I enjoy, knitting, reading, games on my iPad. But sitting has become the new smoking the experts say, so I need to move more. Thanks and keep up the good work on Whole 30.

lmoore1,

I know what you mean about sitting activities. I enjoy playing piano, reading, and playing with my iPad. My job is at a desk all day, so I need more activity, too.

One big advantage of kettlebells is they activate those parts that suffer from sitting. The primary movement in most KB exercises is the "hinge" and it is terrific therapy for stiff back and hips caused by sitting. Bonus benefit: a good effective workout takes 30-45 minutes. While my spaghetti squash is roasting, I can be back in my "gym" swinging my 'bells.

I have lots of websites and links to material about KBs, if you're interested.  I'm no "seasoned pro" by any stretch of the imagination, but I am an advocate. My challenge is in getting back into the "swing" of consistent workouts.

The end of day 9 for me.

Why does it still feel so hard. The evenings are the worst, in the past i would consume at least 50 to 70% of the days calories after 6:00 pm. Lots of late night eating and drinking. Bad habits are hard to break and take lots of will power and commitment. Here's to all of you on this forum congratulations and thanks for sharing and not giving in.

Drinking a cup of sleepy time tea and staying out of the kitchen. Learning to take deep breaths while I release the urges. I am so proud of us all for doing a great job. Lets all stay strong till the end.

Cheers

Needless to say, I'm pretty discouraged because I feel that unless I increase my physical activity I won't see the result that I want. Anyone have a similar experience or have some words of wisdom?

I did this in Sept lost 15 pounds and felt amazing at the end of the 30 days and All I did was housecleaning and gardening.

Thanks for the encouragement Cyndi Lou and KB. I have been trying to keep moving and will keep at it. I'm especially excited that my energy level is starting to pick up again so that I really do want to move and burn off some calories. The cooking and variety of foods we can eat make that portion of the diet go smoothly for me. I miss a glass of wine in the evening, but find that lemon flavored sparkling water has enough of a bite that I'm good with it. Now, if I can keep moving I should be ok.

I did find it interesting that the Can I Have...blog brought out that Sunbutter and Tahini have high inflammatory properties and I have been using both since I've been on the program. Since joint inflammation is a major issue for me, they may be the reason for my recent flare up. It's a journey, isn't it?! Another day down and still moving forward!

Anybody having stomach cramps? I was so sick this morning. I'll spare you the details but flu like symptoms. Too much fiber? I eat a lot of broccoli and a sweet potato a day. Half in the morning and half at night. I didn't come off of a bad diet when I started this. No fast food or anything. Lots of healthy fruits and veggies. Felt better after awhile so not the flu..

Stuck to scrambled eggs. Banana. Chicken and a baked potato today. No greens! Feeling fine tonite but thinking I better cool it on all the veggies!

January 15 = Day15.....Halfway mark! Yippee!! That's enuf celebration.

I hope everyone is better than yesterday, as for aches and pains; I knew I had problems with my left shoulder (bone spurs and no, I don't expect this to heal it!), I do expect to have arthroscopic surgery sometime this year and I have decided to be proactive. I fear surgery, plain and simple. Being in better health assures an easier transition.

Mentally, my outlook is more positive and as this way of eating becomes a fact of life, people are less critical and more inquisitive. Results speak louder than words. So....low fat diets are fads and grandma was right! Wow, that hurt my brain.

Today is exercise (Day 4/21 day Primal Challenge) incorporating PEMs (Primal Exercise Movements-push-up, pull-ups,squats and planks); I am at beginner/modified level; I do mine against the wall for support. Today is 40x/2 sets except for pullups (I am at -0-) and plank is to be held for 60 seconds! Wish me luck.

Have a good day ev1 and grok on!

Day 15 done-halfway there!   It's cold (for the South) and rainy here, so warm curry for dinner-yum!  

This weekend I will face my son's 18th b-day complete with a cake (that I bought because I just can't bake a cake while doing whole30), and 2 meals with my parents and siblings.  I'm feeling pretty good about it now, because there is no way I'm starting back at day 1.  

I hope you all have a great Friday!

Amy, It really helps with you have a plan, and it sounds like you do!!! 

Day 12 for me.  I bought some sugar free almond milk for my coffee, instead of the coconut cream, which I really liked, but am thinking I might have an intolerance since the inflamation is so bad since I stated using it daily in my coffee.  I will use the Almond milk  for a week and see if that was the culprit.I really hope not because I think I like the coconut cream/oil combo more than half and half....is'nt it weird how one little thing like my morning coffee can take such a hold of me?  Ha ha I really related to the the daily email about being a stress junkie....I'm taking that one to heart and reading up on it.

Most of us here are heading into the half way part of this....whoo ho....not that I am there yet,,,,but I see it coming...:)

Have a GREAT day out there!

Archived