Over 60 and starting first whole30

Second time here today, but I had just had to say that I'm thrilled because I just realized it's 4:30 and I haven't had lunch yet, or anything to eat since breakfast.  I know we're not supposed to skip meals, but I'm thrilled  -  because that means I haven't had food cravings today!!!  A miracle for me!!!  And I had a lovely, restful, long sleep last night rather than the usual tossing and turning.  

Lazykitty, have you ever tried the organic coffee substitute called Teechino?  It's quite good, caffeine free, and comes in many excellent flavors.  You can look it up easily online.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wanted to comment on whomever it was who was discouraging about trying to do Weight Watchers at the same time as Whole30.  I thought about that person's cogent points and can see much to justify them.  But one reason was that we'd use all our daily points by noon with eating the Whole30 way.  I wanted to just address that point.  Since we aren't eating dairy, grains or drinking alcohol, that leaves a lot of points available for other foods.  And then fruits and vegetables are free on Weight Watchers, so, for me, the big points in this are the protein, nuts, seeds and other allowed food, like raisins or almond milk.  I allow myself 33 points per day (that's the daily 26 points plus 7 of the weekly 49 divided by 7 days.)  And I eat until I'm full. And I've discovered that I'm fuller longer and eat less.  I've always done better with food plans if I have margins and accountability.  I'm speaking only for myself.  Thanks.

It's important to understand how completely different Weight Watchers and Whole30 are. Whole30 does indeed ask you to tally what you are eating, as follows:

1. Eat 1-2 palm-size portions of protein

2. Eat 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat

3. Eat 2-4 cups of vegetables

Do the above three times a day, eating Meal 1 within one hour of waking.

Eat to satiety, such that you are able to go at least four hours before eating again. If you need a snack, make it a mini-meal featuring fat and protein.

Counting points is Weight Watchers; eating whole foods to satiety is Whole30. You can cobble together something that might feel like it bridges the unbridgeable gap between the two programs, but it won't work. You won't succeed by Weight Watchers' standards; and you won't be doing a Whole30.

This is tough stuff for long time Weight Watchers to hear/experience, but we ask folks to take the leap and do a full fledged Whole30.

Re: Weight Watchers and W30

A friend and former WW member said, "Trying to do Paleo while on WW is like trying to ride two horses with one a$$. Can't be done."

I have to agree. One of the objectives of W30 (and Paleo) is to learn to be able to eat well and reach a healthy weight without being a slave to numbers. Being freed of the counting and measuring and weighing is so empowering and liberating.

I'm saying this as a recovering WW Lifetime Member and former leader.

Day 8 - Hello everyone! How are ya'll doing?

Carole - Thank you for teechino idea, I'm going to look it up o the internet. I do love something warm in morning!

I plan to make slow cooker roast chicken and gravy for dinner (Nom Nom Paleo website). The gravy is made of the leeks, garlic and chicken broth used as a bed for the chicken in the slow cooker (I have an Instant Pot) then using an immersion blender, blend together. It is delicious!

Visited website Marks Daily Apple, he has the Primal Paleo concept; anyway he calls his cave dude Grok!

Thank you everyone for being so encouraging. Grok on all!

I find that skipping a meal always sets me up for cravings. When I do want something sweet, a cup of broth or tea helps, or, crazy as it may sound, something with vinegar cuts the craving!

Yes, skipping a meal is not good. I also find that if you get depressed vinegar will help within 20-30 mins. It works at least for me and my family...most times the depression is sugar or carb related....

Thanks for the tip Mavis!

Day 6, ah Day 7 lol, and I am sleeping through most of the night! wahooo!!!!

My clothes are starting to get looser, my head is clearer, and I am calmer each day. 

Dinner last night was leftover baked wild salmon over a yam, mushroom, onion, rosemarry hash.

Breakfast today: my usual, even when not on whole30 or other programs....sauteed Kale, onions, mushroom with a fried pasture egg on top. 

Lunch is sauteed chicken with spinach, carrots, and onions.

dinner is unknown at this time of day...lol

I am almost to 1/4 the way through! woot!

Have a great day everyone!

my first week is in the books!   As I've said in the past, I was doing Primal for a few months before starting this program.  I'd say I was about 80 to 85% on point with that.   So my first week I had to give up the cheese, dark chocolate along with honey, hidden sugars and a few cheats here and there.   I didn't go through the dreaded "carb flu" (yea) but looking back I did experience headaches, a slight case of flu-like symptoms and lethargy when I first went primal.   Now I realize that was my carb flu.   This past week, the cheese, chocolate, hidden sugars and small cheats are gone and I feel amazing.  I didn't think I would feel this much better but I do.   My only issue was my addiction to macadamia nuts!  I realized that this is a trigger food for me and has to go for the duration of the month.   Yesterday was the first day in a very long time that I didn't reach for them as a snack.  (this is harder to do than giving up any of the other foods LOL!  The other awesome thing that's happening to me is that I'm learning to like to cook.  Thanks to the "Well Fed" and "Nom Nom" recipes, I've been making some very yummy dishes and it has opened up a whole new world to me.  In the past I pretty much ate the same thing day after day, but I knew if I'm going to continue to eat this way for the rest of my life I needed to have some variety.  This has been an unexpected plus that I didn't expect to get out of this program.   

I hope you all are having some welcome revelations from this past week.

I fell off on my Day 1 but there were a bunch of factors involved, none of which need to be shared here.  Interestingly enough, today I was going to continue on with my plan off but my breakfast and lunch items were messed up (what with one thing and another) so I had to fall back on the plan I wrote up this past weekend for Whole30.

Lesson learned:  Whether or not you stick with the plan to a "tee", if you just write it, at least you have it to fall back on.

Whole30 today.

Hi Everyone!  I posted several days ago, and now I am back.  Today is day 8, or day 4, depending on how I count it.

Right now I want a tall glass of cold milk and some perfect, warm chocolate cookies.  Then, some crackers and cheese and a glass of wine.

Drinking hot herbal tea, just had some baked apple with walnuts on top (as a snack) and I am feeling sick of this already, and it has not been that long.

Today I had a frozen paleo for breakfast, scrambled ground beef with broccoli, onion, and some diced baked potatoes, and then my snack.

Dinner is roasted chicken with some roasted veggies.

I think it is harder today as it is day4/8, and because I have a cold and want some carbs.  I am sticking with it!

I made myself some index cars with positive thoughts and motivations--I am reviewing them once or twice a day to keep myself motivated.

Anyone else???

• Administrators

Hi Suzette, your baked apple with walnuts sounds really good.  Unfortunately eating foods such as those alone, without the protein, will just keep those carby cravings going.  We recommend going towards protein and fat if you need a snack, it helps regulate and stabilize things better than just fruit or fruit and fat.

About your snack also, did you not have lunch today? Or did I misread your post? Cravings in the first 10 days are totally normal and the best way to beat them back is to eat three full template meals every day.  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Hey, it's true, it's really TRUE!  I had weird cravings today....didn't think I would in spite of reading all about it in the dailies this morning.  (Day 4)

ha ha....I got done skiing and was sitting by the fire and just really really wanted a glass of wine.....and, get this....a cigerette!  OMG....yes, I am an ex smoker but really????  I had to laugh!  It was kinda strong too....luckily, I had to get up and get busy so it left me, but it left me feeling sort of sad....like I was missing something.  It doesn't make sense, but it's a real feeling.  Well, I had made great choices and had two good meals under my belt.  Now I'm onto dinner. Porkchops with mixed veggies, and maybe, not sure yet, a little potato....just cus I did so well today...oh wait.  Is rewarding good behavior a no no?  I'm trying not to eat white potatoes, in spite of the fact that they are allowed, since I have weight to lose but hey....

Was fun to read everyone's posts today...and so glad Ladyshanny keeps us up on the details of this W30.  There are lots of subtle things that go missed I think, in the beginning, but you are so tackful and helpful in your guidance...thank you!

Now, I need to know how one does spellcheck on this forum.  I see the words underlined, but I can't find the place to activate it.? I use a Mac book if it matters.

HAve a GREAT night everyone...Karen    :D

Can one of the moderators let me know where bone broth fits into the plan, please? I've made a couple of batches and really like it, but it does satiate, and I'm not sure if I should count it toward meeting any of the recommended macros. I have strained it through cheesecloth and skimmed off the fat that rises to the top of the cooled gel, so I don't think I can count it toward fats.

• Administrators

Hi Mavis, bone broth is a whenever, whatever thing.  Use it as a base for soups, drink it warm in a mug (my favourite), use it as liquid when cooking sauces.

Start a bit slow as I have found huge quantities all at once can cause a bit of loose bowels.  But you can go ahead with it.

Here's a thread asking about bone broth as well:  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1939-bone-broth-a-snack/

EDIT:  I would actually caution not to let it push food out of your plan.  Make sure you are still eating your template meals.  Bone broth can definitely satiate enough that you may not feel like eating.  Eat.

Thanks ladyshanny. The broth is amazingly good and it would probably be easy to substitute it for a cup of soup, but eating has never been a chore for me! Lol! I think I can get the job done. I appreciate the response and the link. Another day down!

• Administrators

HI Carolw and dherself,

Sorry I missed your responses yesterday.  I totally get where you're coming from, I do.  But it's not possible to really listen to your body when you have WW standing behind you with a stick ready to whack you on the head next Tuesday when you are inexplicably hungry for more food and you have no points left.

I can see your sister, Carol, maybe having slowed in weight loss because paleo and Whole30 are not "free for all eat whatever you want look ripped" programs.  As much as certain websites would have us believe.  It's not "calories in vs calories out" but it's also not "all whole foods = eat until I explode".  There is a line where you have to figure out for yourself, based on YOUR hormones, YOUR activity, YOUR stress level, YOUR digestion, what works for you and tweaking those inputs so that your body has an opportunity to lose unnecessary fat while maintaining nutrition. Assigning someone else's arbitrary numbers (which are created for the lowest common denominator...which I know you two are not because you're here!) to your choices isn't compatible with the Whole30.

If you want guidelines and parameters, you make your own.  You eat from the template and assess your response.  Hungry? Eat a bit more next time.  Not hungry for 8 hours? Eat less next time.  Had a ridiculously active day/stressful day?  Eat a bit more.  Feeling cranky and kind of depressed?  Eat some starchy veggies.  This is a YOU program.  Yours won't look like mine which won't look like anyone else's on here because we are all unique snowflakes.

Whether you do or don't ditch the counting of points, no one but you will know....but I really feel as though you're not doing yourself any service by trying to piggyback one onto the other. 

Hey, it's true, it's really TRUE!  I had weird cravings today....didn't think I would in spite of reading all about it in the dailies this morning.  (Day 4)

ha ha....I got done skiing and was sitting by the fire and just really really wanted a glass of wine.....and, get this....a cigerette!  OMG....yes, I am an ex smoker but really????  I had to laugh!  It was kinda strong too....luckily, I had to get up and get busy so it left me, but it left me feeling sort of sad....like I was missing something.  It doesn't make sense, but it's a real feeling.  Well, I had made great choices and had two good meals under my belt.  Now I'm onto dinner. Porkchops with mixed veggies, and maybe, not sure yet, a little potato....just cus I did so well today...oh wait.  Is rewarding good behavior a no no?  I'm trying not to eat white potatoes, in spite of the fact that they are allowed, since I have weight to lose but hey....

Was fun to read everyone's posts today...and so glad Ladyshanny keeps us up on the details of this W30.  There are lots of subtle things that go missed I think, in the beginning, but you are so tackful and helpful in your guidance...thank you!

Now, I need to know how one does spellcheck on this forum.  I see the words underlined, but I can't find the place to activate it.? I use a Mac book if it matters.

HAve a GREAT night everyone...Karen    :D

Most women need to eat carbs regularly. I personally don't feel right unless I eat carbs at least two meals per day. White potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, plantains, squashes - eat up. It's nutrition, and that's the best reward you can give your body. Give this reward regularly.

Day 8!  I doesn't really feel like a week has past.  Planning really is the key to making this work.  I have had to change the plan, but I made sure that there were meat and vegetables in the house for a full 6 meals on Sunday, with hopes of getting through to the weekend.  Leftovers have made great lunches, and I've kept chicken salad available, too.  Each night I check to see that I have a lunch and dinner stuff ready, and make sure other things like boiled eggs and mayo (now that I make my own) are stocked up.  I haven't had that "I'm driving home from work and I have no idea what to fix for supper so we need pizza" experience.  I've also had really tasty, creative meals, so I'm not sick of anything.  My paleo husband would be happy with meat and steamed veggies, but I need a little excitement with my food. 

So I'm going to buy a cookbook and I'm thinking of Well Fed or Well Fed 2.  Or maybe Nom Nom Paleo Food for Humans.  Does anyone have experience to share?

Almost the end of day 3 for me.  I can't seem to stop eating at least it is al Whole30 compliant. I really really wanted a glass of wine or the chocolate and candy and cookies that is at the office.  So instead I am stuffing myself with almonds and coconut flakes even though I ate a big dinner.  Later i will probably pull out the jar of olives....

So to day the end of day three is the hardest so far and my cravings are going crazy.

It's only 30 days I know I can do this.

Evening all!

I have all 3 (Amazon.com), Non Nom Paleo has an app. thru the App Store with her recipes (step by step pix and instructions). Plus a 30 day menu (B/L/D), info re. Paleo....take a look at everything.

Do you have book that was written by the Whole30? It's called "It Starts With Food" by Dallas &. Melissa Hartwig. It is super as beginning reference guide for Paleo people. Also strategies for long term success.

Browse www.marksdailyapple.com, he invented the Primal Paleo (80% Paleo/20% cheat??) method. Read his website for info for after the Whole30.

Good reading everyone"

Day 8!  I doesn't really feel like a week has past.  Planning really is the key to making this work.  I have had to change the plan, but I made sure that there were meat and vegetables in the house for a full 6 meals on Sunday, with hopes of getting through to the weekend.  Leftovers have made great lunches, and I've kept chicken salad available, too.  Each night I check to see that I have a lunch and dinner stuff ready, and make sure other things like boiled eggs and mayo (now that I make my own) are stocked up.  I haven't had that "I'm driving home from work and I have no idea what to fix for supper so we need pizza" experience.  I've also had really tasty, creative meals, so I'm not sick of anything.  My paleo husband would be happy with meat and steamed veggies, but I need a little excitement with my food. 

So I'm going to buy a cookbook and I'm thinking of Well Fed or Well Fed 2.  Or maybe Nom Nom Paleo Food for Humans.  Does anyone have experience to share?

I have Well Fed it's a good book for more basic ideas and recipes.  I also have Nom Nom Paleo another good book but tends to have more recipes that are different more out of the box.  Then again I have never met a cookbook that I didn't like.  I did the whole 30 back in September mid way thru bought both books because I couldn't decide on which one.  I guess I've used the Well Fed book the most. so far.

Good luck and happy eating.

HI Bridgid:  that's interesting...you mean eating something with vinegar in it will help lift depression?  I've never heard of that, but how useful that could be!!

My favorite elixir is sparkling water with a little fresh squeezed lemon 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of good organic  vinegar and about a 1/8 - 1/4 cup of the good organic 100% cranberry juice with not added anything especially sugar.  Sometimes I'll drink three of these thru out the day for a week or two.

So far so good but Saturday night is a Seahawks playoff game and I usually get a good wine buzz going by half time! Would someone please invent a whole30 with a vino option:)

Already know Im going to stick to the plan. Have told hubs and friends that I'm on sparkling water so no cheating for me!

It will feel good to make through the game on track and on plan!!!!

So far so good but Saturday night is a Seahawks playoff game and I usually get a good wine buzz going by half time! Would someone please invent a whole30 with a vino option:)

Already know Im going to stick to the plan. Have told hubs and friends that I'm on sparkling water so no cheating for me!

It will feel good to make through the game on track and on plan!!!!

I will be watching the hawks as well!....I'm working on making my dinner during the commercials and eating by half time...not sure what I'm making yet...

Archived