Over 60 and starting first whole30

HI Bridgid:  that's interesting...you mean eating something with vinegar in it will help lift depression?  I've never heard of that, but how useful that could be!!

I cannot speak for anyone else, just me on how the vinegar works. A Dill Pickle will work too...not sure why... I usually put a tablespoon of vinegar in 8 oz of water and sipping on it....as a reminder usually this depression is food caused...too much sugar or processed carbs.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost the end of day 3 for me.  I can't seem to stop eating at least it is al Whole30 compliant. I really really wanted a glass of wine or the chocolate and candy and cookies that is at the office.  So instead I am stuffing myself with almonds and coconut flakes even though I ate a big dinner.  Later i will probably pull out the jar of olives....

So to day the end of day three is the hardest so far and my cravings are going crazy.

It's only 30 days I know I can do this.

I've been feeling the same with the snacking....I'm not usually a snacker, but have had a hard time keeping it in check. I'm eating a good sized meal, keeping the portion sizes and food groups in mind, but found myself having a coffee with coconut cream, later with an apple and sunbutter, and finally blueberries with coconut cream and cinnamon in the evening. Too many extras to promote weight loss, and I don't want to get into the snacking mode! Help!

• Administrators

Hi Cyndi & Mavis,

The snacking can be purely psychological.  If you've already had a good template meal with adequate fat, you probably need to make a list of non snacking things you can do. Eating handfuls of blueberries and apples with sunbutter and coconut flakes at night is not doing your hormones and blood sugar any favours.

Fruit and fat isn't an awesome combo to begin with and I would venture to say especially at night.

Read a book, drink some tea, take a deep breath and allow yourself to feel whatever feelings you might be trying to silence with your snacking. 

From a personal perspective, on my first Whole30 I really felt I "needed" something at night and when I allowed myself to examine what was going on I realized that I was using a nice snack or glass of wine as a buffer to not feel the reality that I wasn't content.  I had to make some changes  that had nothing to do with food in order to see change.  I started reading at night again, going to bed earlier for some alone time, watching television in another room so it was something I wanted to watch.  I'd been using snacking to disguise the fact that I wasn't happy with my nightly routine.

Whole30...it STARTS with food....but continues with some self examination when these things present themselves.

:)

I've been feeling the same with the snacking....I'm not usually a snacker, but have had a hard time keeping it in check. I'm eating a good sized meal, keeping the portion sizes and food groups in mind, but found myself having a coffee with coconut cream, later with an apple and sunbutter, and finally blueberries with coconut cream and cinnamon in the evening. Too many extras to promote weight loss, and I don't want to get into the snacking mode! Help!

If you're finding the need to snack, that typically means your earlier meals aren't big enough or you're not drinking enough water or both.

Play with the protein, veg and fat portions of your meals (which it sounds like you're doing) until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Drink at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of your current body weight, daily.

Until you get to a place where your meals satiate you, if you're truly hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal containing protein, veg and fat. Nuts and seeds are a fat source on a Whole30.  Save your fruit to have with or immediately after a meal only.

Note: Something like blueberries, cinnamon and coconut cream after dinner is too desserty: try avoid having concoctions like that for the rest of your Whole30.

Thanks for the feedback. Hunger has nothing to do with my urges to snack, and I have had some unusual stressors lately. You probably hit the nail on the head there. I twisted a knee and it's prevented me from doing the walking/exercising that I was starting... Very frustrating! But I will regroup and get on with living. Sabotaging a healthy eating plan is not going to bring comfort in the long run .

I'll work on keeping the SWYPO snacks/foods out of the picture! Purely was looking for self comfort there. Thanks for the fast comeback!

Day 7 here, Yahoo! I didn't realize what a snacker I was until Whole 30 said NONE. When I want a snack the most is in the evening while watching TV. I mute all the commercials, most are either promoting food or pills (lol) and grab my water bottle and take a swig. I figure I'm thirsty, not hungry because I just had supper. I do miss my bite of dark chocolate for my dessert. Those nasty habits! I'm a person that needs to be held accountable and even just using the Whole 30 emails where I have to declare, "Yes, I was compliant today" has really helped me stay true to the plan. Hang in there, we can do this.

My middle daughter asked me to support her in this challenge and I just jumped in.  she on the other hand did the prep like they suggest.  I am 60 and 3/4 (hee hee) and have the first week under my belt. I have a lot of veggies in my fridge and have precooked some meat.  We are in the middle of a snowy deep freeze so I wanted to be prepared.  I find I get hungry between meals though.  What about you

• Administrators

Hey Sexy, post a couple of days of your meals and we might be able to make suggestions that alleviate hunger between meals.  There is no reason to be hungry on a Whole30.

Check out the meal planning template:  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Summary

1-2 palms protein

1-3 cups veggies (more if it's leafy greens)

1-2 thumbs fat (or half to whole avocado or handful coconut/olives)

*note that you might want to also add at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggies per day

Repeat this at least three times a day.

I've just found this group and relate very well to so many of the comments. I'm 67 and started Whole 30 in 1st January so today is day 10 (I live in New Zealand so it's high summer here) I decided around 6 months ago to take back control of my health, I was pre diabetic, suffering quite severe pain, stomach and digestive problems asthma and on cholesterol and thyroxine meds, (thyroid had been removed about 7 years ago). I quit all meds other than thyroxine and changed my diet. Most noticeably within a week I had no pain, and have only once had to use asthma inhaler, I was less tired and more alert. Over the next 6 months I lost 14kg and am feeling so very much better. I know I can do more so decided to try the whole30. I am wondering why 30? Is there any reason that it couldn't continue indefinitely? Perhaps it's too restrictive. I am convinced I must be at least wheat intolerant and will never return to eating wheat products. Mostly I miss the fruit I used to eat, too much probably. I too think it is more difficult to lose weight as we age although not impossible, we just have to be more disciplined. Health is my goal. Any tips or advice from those who are more experienced with this I would welcome.

I've just found this group and relate very well to so many of the comments. I'm 67 and started Whole 30 in 1st January so today is day 10 (I live in New Zealand so it's high summer here) I decided around 6 months ago to take back control of my health, I was pre diabetic, suffering quite severe pain, stomach and digestive problems asthma and on cholesterol and thyroxine meds, (thyroid had been removed about 7 years ago). I quit all meds other than thyroxine and changed my diet. Most noticeably within a week I had no pain, and have only once had to use asthma inhaler, I was less tired and more alert. Over the next 6 months I lost 14kg and am feeling so very much better. I know I can do more so decided to try the whole30. I am wondering why 30? Is there any reason that it couldn't continue indefinitely? Perhaps it's too restrictive. I am convinced I must be at least wheat intolerant and will never return to eating wheat products. Mostly I miss the fruit I used to eat, too much probably. I too think it is more difficult to lose weight as we age although not impossible, we just have to be more disciplined. Health is my goal. Any tips or advice from those who are more experienced with this I would welcome.

hello and welcome to the group!  I'm sure one of the moderators will chime in to answer your question regarding why 30, but you can do it for as long as you want.  I do plan on sticking to it for at least another month after this and hopefully continue on as best as I can adhere to it.  I feel so much better eating this way and really have no desire to go back to my old way of eating.  

Wow, I'm not alone.  I just discovered Whole30 from my daughter in December and decided to give it a try; beginning January 1st, this year.  I stumbled and fell in three days!  Our friend invited us over for dinner; and served only one thing I could eat; cauliflower.  So, I started over; adding those three days to the end of my time.

I am so excited to join a group of gals on the same path.  I hope to learn lots from you...I will be 68 in February and have a 50th high school reunion I want to attend in a much 'slimmer' size.  Hope you will help me shed the pounds; giving me ideas on eating all the right foods.

January 9 - Day 9! Welcome all new foodie adventurers and congrats to everyone for keepin' on!

My energy levels are increasing and my blood sugar is stable! Mood swings are gone, just by eating real foods and not science projects!

What a difference!

This is becoming a new way of life for us, now if could con my dh into eating fish!

Grok on!!

Hi everyone  I started on Jan 2nd and just jumped in. I have had a lot of stress in the past two weeks so can't say what is due to whole 30 or the slight reduction of stress.  Have not been sleeping well at all for almost 2 weeks, until last night. I had an awesome workout this morning, felt like an awesome day, then the hunger started.  It has been a difficult evening, starting with a huge salad, shrimp, leftover piece of pork tenderloin, followed by a large apple.  I have beef bones in the slow cooker, have several soup recipes to make in the am. Like weight watchers, this seems to take a lot of preparation and thought.  Hoping that I notice an improvement all around.  I am determined to stick at it.  WE CAN DO THIS 

Good morning to everyone and welcome aboard to some new peoples!  I just read through the posts like I do every morning after my daily!  It's great to hear from everyone, and see some new posts pop up as well.  Day 6 for me.  All ready feels calmer than yesterday!!! Slept better, only woke up three times and feel back asleep quite quickly.  I did do a snack thing last night that just didn't feel right at all.  It was W30 compliant in terms of food, but I realized that 1) I wasn't hungry really and 2) It was loaded with sugar! (1/2 cup apple cider and 1/2 lara bar) so I learned something about me and food.  And like Ladyshanny says, it was a night time thing to mask other feelings. Ultimately, I decided not to cave so quickly into habits without thought.  OK, so this is a learning experience as well as anything else.

My chocolate chili was devine.  This is what I did.  I didn't have beef broth so I took a large can of crushed tomatoes and added them instead.  More veggies, and frankly, I thought it needed more red in it.  Also added some Colorado Mole in to give it a kick!  Yummy!  I love the cooking on this as I love to cook and it's making me think outside the box.

Today I am making a roast chicken with root veggies.  I usually put in onion,carrot, and potatoes, but I think I will put in sweet potatoe as well.  I hope that works.  I just want something for myself, (hub will eat those white potatoes) with less sugar. And then make soup with the leftovers.

Have a GREAT Saturday folks!  EAt well and Have fun!  Karen

Good Morning Karen and all,  Here in SW Ontario we are under a blanket of snow and COLD temperatures so a GREAT day to try out some of the whole30 soups.  I have had beef bones in the slow cooker since mid afternoon yesterday, lots of carrots for the carrot soup and a bag of broccoli for the curried cream of broc. soup.  I feel good,  having only woken twice last night and able to fall back to sleep which is a big plus.  I am going to have to make sure I eat enough protein today to get me from feeling hungry.

Have a wonderful and committed day.  We are worth it!!

Day 10 Here!  I believe all is going great.  I have never done anything like this before and it seems to be a great plan.  I am making my grocery lists this morning because I agree that planning is a great key to success of any kind.  Funny dream last night -- I was arguing over a bone with my sister!  I wanted to try the bone broth and she wanted to give it to her dog.  Oh my!  Needless to say I will try to find the bone to make broth today!  Wishing each of you success.

Day 5 and feeling pretty good! Still got a hankering' for something sweet after dinner but started adding some fruit to my dinner plate and that is helping...I eat it last but its not dessert :)  Monkey Salad is getting me through some busy mornings but need to be wary.  Almond butter is not gonna get me skinny but it sure is yummy!

Not here to promote, just enjoying this board but thought I'd mention I'm blogging my experience.  I have a Food blog..LaughingSpatula.com.  I've had the blog for about 4 years now and it does pretty well.  I've got a couple Whole30 recipes on there you might enjoy.  

Have Seahawks playoff game at 5:00 tonite that usually requires copious amounts of chips and drink but luckily our plans were canceled and we are staying home to watch!  Yay.  Perrier and lime with a side of homemade chili for this girl.  Lunch out tomorrow...already scoped out the menu.  Shrimp Louie with smuggled in dressing!

Enjoy your day!

January 10 = Day 10!! I am very pleased with myself! Temps outside are in the sixties, 50/50 chance of rain.

Prepping dinner, brining chicken.

It's a good day to get my 15 minutes of sun (aka wandering around enjoying neighbors and wildlife) and just appreciating everything I have.

Have a good everyone, Grok on!!

Thanks Bridgid - I'm going to try that!  It's easy to get down in the dumps, especially in the middle of winter.

I'm a bit confused about the recipes and recommendations to use canned goods.  I thought we were supposed to stay away from processed foods?

Also, I asked this before, but haven't heard anything back yet - microwave cooking is thought to change food into something unhealthy.  What about that?  I wanted to ignore that information with everything that's in me, but I do believe it's true, and I try to avoid microwaving as much as possible now.

I was feeling very weary with all the dishes, pots and pans it requires to cook healthy food, and then this morning the daily email comes in with all kinds of tips and information on how to deal with that.  Much appreciated! 

I was also feeling large and bloated yesterday, thinking, what the hey, and I just happened to start reading the timeline again and found that this is normal for this stage...thank goodness - very reassuring to know that.  The material to guide us through the 30 days is priceless!

Day 5 and feeling pretty good! Still got a hankering' for something sweet after dinner but started adding some fruit to my dinner plate and that is helping...I eat it last but its not dessert :)  Monkey Salad is getting me through some busy mornings but need to be wary.  Almond butter is not gonna get me skinny but it sure is yummy!

Not here to promote, just enjoying this board but thought I'd mention I'm blogging my experience.  I have a Food blog..LaughingSpatula.com.  I've had the blog for about 4 years now and it does pretty well.  I've got a couple Whole30 recipes on there you might enjoy.  

Have Seahawks playoff game at 5:00 tonite that usually requires copious amounts of chips and drink but luckily our plans were canceled and we are staying home to watch!  Yay.  Perrier and lime with a side of homemade chili for this girl.  Lunch out tomorrow...already scoped out the menu.  Shrimp Louie with smuggled in dressing!

Enjoy your day!

Monkey Salad started popping up here on the forums a few months ago, with posters asserting that it is a Whole30 breakfast/snack/etc. It isn't. Each ingredient is technically compliant, but it does two things that take it out of Whole30land:

1. It recreates an unhealthy breakfast food (cereal, granola, other things of that ilk)

2. It is not a template meal or mini-meal.

Monkey Salad is not Whole30, though eating it doesn't call for a restart like, say, eating soy or gluten would. I keep wishing it would go away though. As you realized, it isn't your friend.

Enjoy your chili tonight - we've been eating it quite a bit over here lately too!

Monkey Salad started popping up here on the forums a few months ago, with poster asserting that it is Whole30 breakfast/snack/etc. It isn't. Each ingredient is technically compliant, but it does two things that take it out of Whole30land:

1. It recreates an unhealthy breakfast food (cereal, granola, other things of that ilk)

2. It is not a template meal or mini-meal.

Monkey Salad is not Whole30, though eating it doesn't call for a restart like, say, eating soy or gluten would. I keep wishing it would go away though. As you realized, it isn't your friend.

Enjoy your chili tonight - we've been eating it quite a bit over here lately too!

I knew it was too tasty to be true!  Argh....Taking it out of the food rotation - so glad I don't have to restart.  I posted it on my blog as well and will remove...so appreciate  your input!

Kathi

Archived