Over 60 and starting first whole30

I'm a bit confused about the recipes and recommendations to use canned goods.  I thought we were supposed to stay away from processed foods?

Canned goods are fine, as long as the ingredients are all Whole30 compliant.   The idea is to have as much whole, nutrient-dense food as possible.  Regarding vegetables, fresh and even compliant frozen would be the optimal choice, but canned is acceptable.

Also, I asked this before, but haven't heard anything back yet - microwave cooking is thought to change food into something unhealthy.  What about that?  I wanted to ignore that information with everything that's in me, but I do believe it's true, and I try to avoid microwaving as much as possible now.

I don't believe there is an official Whole30 stance on this topic (other moderators, correct me if I'm wrong). As such, I would say whether you use a microwave boils down to a personal decision.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for sharing meal ideas! It helps to see what others are cooking. It's cold outside so I have been wanting warm comfort food as well. I've been making double batches of everything as I cook, so I now have cream of cauliflower soup, chili, and since I had the pressure cooker out to make bone broth, I cooked up some swiss steaks. Having several types of "soup" type items with different flavor profiles lets me vary them and morph them slightly to perk up my meals. For breakfast I had spaghetti squash and kale covered in some sauce from the minute steaks and an egg on the side. For lunch I've got a sweet potato baking and will top it with chili. Dinner will be baked chicken drowned in a sauce made from the puréed cauliflower soup and a salad on the side.... Eat well and stay warm!

Day 8 here. Just made some deviled eggs, why do we only make those for picnics? They are delicious and another variation of eggs. Well Fed's mayo, compliant mustard, salt & pepper, with a paprika sprinkle on top. Now I'm gearing up for my Cook Up.

Here's the menu: Asian Chicken Slaw with Sunshine Sauce, Hearts of Palm and Green Bean Salad, Roasted Root Vegetables, Sweet Potato Coconut Soup, Pad Thai, No-Fuss Salmon Cakes, Baked Chicken Breasts.

That should get me through Week 2. Stay Clean.

Many of us started on 1/1, making today number 10!  According to the timeline, days 10 and 11 are the most likely days for someone to quit Whole30.  So how are you all doing?

I'm starting to feel lessened knee and hand pain, and I really don't think it's my imagination. In the last 10 hours I have had to travel out of town and pack a breakfast I could eat in the car (boiled eggs-I got lazy), take my son to a fast food restaurant (which smelled amazing), grocery shop for a birthday cake that I won't be enjoying tonight (Mom turned 81) and I did look longingly all of the things I can't have.   But I honestly think my knee pain is better, so I think I'm good for now.

I'd love to hear how others of you are handling the day 10/11 slump!

Day 8 here. Just made some deviled eggs, why do we only make those for picnics? They are delicious and another variation of eggs. Well Fed's mayo, compliant mustard, salt & pepper, with a paprika sprinkle on top. Now I'm gearing up for my Cook Up.

Here's the menu: Asian Chicken Slaw with Sunshine Sauce, Hearts of Palm and Green Bean Salad, Roasted Root Vegetables, Sweet Potato Coconut Soup, Pad Thai, No-Fuss Salmon Cakes, Baked Chicken Breasts.

That should get me through Week 2. Stay Clean.

I'll be at your place by tonight. Expect me to remain for the entire week. ;)

Day 11.

Yesterday, I stayed home from work. I rarely call in sick--maybe one day a year, tops. Sore throat, congestion, all the fun cold stuff.

I am better today, but it was sure tempting yesterday to fall off the wagon. Fortunately, everything in the house is W30. If I had gone to work, I may have caved.

Day 10, wow already 1/3 the way through!

Update on going out to dinner on Friday. Well it worked really good calling ahead to the restaurant regarding my food needs.

I had un marinated grilled flank steak over salad and the dressing was a no sugar no soy lime, RedBoat Fish Sauce, and chili dressing...it was spicy, which I love but boy was it good.

No reactions or anything the next day. Feeling good, steady wins the race.

cheers

Bridgid

January 11 = Day 11, Good Morning all!  Hope everyone is doing better and looking forward to a restful Sunday.

Just read W30 Daily and it deals with exercise, I had already signed up for the 21-Day Primal Challenge (deals with food/exercise for 21 days, I have control of food and I need accountability for exercise).  Anyway thats my plan and I had decided to do the Primal exercises (pushup-in my case against the wall; pullups-0, plank-1 and squats (not very far) and then I will endeavor to walk/sprint (walk for awhile and sprint as fast as I can for 10 steps, rest and repeat)!  Anyway, if you are interested go check out MarksDailyApple and check out the food (his group follows the 80% (Paleo) to 20% (cheat) food rule and the exercise is geared for paleos of all ages!

Since I am following W30, I really just want another reinforcement for a new behavior.  Food and I have become friends, not enemies.  Yes, I miss chocolate in my coffee and other stuff; but not that much that I am willing to compromise my health for them anymore!  

Making good food choices isn't that hard when I got past my own prejudices and in general, laziness!   Anyway, thats my choices for today.

We are having family over for dinner, so I am making 'Chocolate Chili'; that way I can eat everything too!

Have a good day everyone and Grok On!!

Thank you GFChris for the information.  It is much appreciated.

I have to admit I'm getting pretty food-prep and clean-up weary, but it already seems like a natural thing to eat this way.  I'm not craving breads or sugary things, so that's helpful.  I am definitely going through the things listed in the timeline.  Energy was up a few days ago, now it's down.  The timeline is very helpful to encourage and let a person know what's happening is normal and to be expected.  

I feel like maybe I'm experiencing less stiffness in the mornings now; that in itself, is very helpful!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  I have to say, how some people do this while working and feeding a family that's not on the program, is so impressive.  I live in my cabin in the woods with my husband who eats whatever is put in front of him, retired, no stores, (I go to town, 1 1/2 hrs. away) Once a week for piano lessons and to shop for groceries.  Then I have all week to prep and cook and ski and snowshoe, etc...so I guess I have it easy compared to many.  My hat is off to all of you! ;)

Day 7, one week under the belt.  I do feel better....not great, but better and I'm listening to the body.  I'm trying not to be so impatient with myself or body.  Heck, at 61 yrs, it's had quite a ride so expecting miracles overnight is kinda crazy thinking!

I am not finding the food really an issue.  Maybe still so new that I'm not bored yet or something.  Plus, I haven't had any social situations to deal with yet. But I have to say, It feels more like a month, not a week, that I've been doing this.  ha ha ha....not sure what that signifies..  

Glad to hear from everyone....the good, the bad and the ugly.....(but it seems like it's mostly good)   :)

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  I have to say, how some people do this while working and feeding a family that's not on the program, is so impressive.  I live in my cabin in the woods with my husband who eats whatever is put in front of him, retired, no stores, (I go to town, 1 1/2 hrs. away) Once a week for piano lessons and to shop for groceries.  Then I have all week to prep and cook and ski and snowshoe, etc...so I guess I have it easy compared to many.  My hat is off to all of you! ;)

Day 7, one week under the belt.  I do feel better....not great, but better and I'm listening to the body.  I'm trying not to be so impatient with myself or body.  Heck, at 61 yrs, it's had quite a ride so expecting miracles overnight is kinda crazy thinking!

I am not finding the food really an issue.  Maybe still so new that I'm not bored yet or something.  Plus, I haven't had any social situations to deal with yet. But I have to say, It feels more like a month, not a week, that I've been doing this.  ha ha ha....not sure what that signifies..  

Glad to hear from everyone....the good, the bad and the ugly.....(but it seems like it's mostly good)   :)

What an interesting life you lead!  1 1/2 hours away from a store...holy cow I'd cave in a week!  I think its very cool.  I am blessed with a husband who will eat whatever I put in front of him as well...and I usually get a kiss or two for it!  Lucky us huh?

What a week!  I have been 100% compliant (outside of my little Monkey business with the salad :)  but there has been temptations!

On Monday I was laid off from from job at Starbucks corporate in Seattle.   I was an executive assistant and had only been there 3 years so not a huge investment but it came as a shock. My boss was let go, they didn't want to replace her position, so no VP.  No Assistant...guess that makes sense huh?  

Before you feel to sorry for me, 23 other people got the ax as well and quite frankly I was considering retirement so they saved me the trouble of making a decision.  I am now a full time food blogger at laughingspatula.com and it's just where I want to be!  I've been wanting to spend time growing my blog and am super excited to start posting a couple times a week rather than once!  But after I got the news I darn near caved into my wine and cheeseburger cravings...came pretty close. Not even sure what stopped me....but I sure am glad I stopped!

Little victories this week:  Went to the movies and enjoyed a Lara Bar and water.  Made it through the Seahawks playoffs with mineral water and Whole30 chili and had lunch at a local restaurant where I had a Shrimp Louie and smuggled in dressing.  Just as planned!  Was there temptations...hell ya!  But I did it and am kinda loving' myself right now :)

Hope everyone else's week was fabulous!

Kathi

January 11 = Day 11, Good Morning all!  Hope everyone is doing better and looking forward to a restful Sunday.

Just read W30 Daily and it deals with exercise, I had already signed up for the 21-Day Primal Challenge (deals with food/exercise for 21 days, I have control of food and I need accountability for exercise).  Anyway thats my plan and I had decided to do the Primal exercises (pushup-in my case against the wall; pullups-0, plank-1 and squats (not very far) and then I will endeavor to walk/sprint (walk for awhile and sprint as fast as I can for 10 steps, rest and repeat)!  Anyway, if you are interested go check out MarksDailyApple and check out the food (his group follows the 80% (Paleo) to 20% (cheat) food rule and the exercise is geared for paleos of all ages!

Since I am following W30, I really just want another reinforcement for a new behavior.  Food and I have become friends, not enemies.  Yes, I miss chocolate in my coffee and other stuff; but not that much that I am willing to compromise my health for them anymore!  

Making good food choices isn't that hard when I got past my own prejudices and in general, laziness!   Anyway, thats my choices for today.

We are having family over for dinner, so I am making 'Chocolate Chili'; that way I can eat everything too!

Have a good day everyone and Grok On!!

I'm doing the 21 day challenge as well.    I started following Primal about 2 years ago, but in the last year I started letting some of the bad food back in, I felt so much better following it and this has really reinforced just how much I don't want to go back to my old ways.  I do exercise pretty consistently but I'm sadly lacking in the sprinting dept.   Anyway, I thought it would just help solidify what I'm doing here.    

I finally got my book yesterday and have started reading it.  I highly recommend getting it because it makes more sense why they have this program set up the way they do.   Very good info!

Kathikay- it's not as bad as it sounds, ha ha...I live in the Hiawatha National Forest on a beautiful lake in a log cabin. There ARE some little stores about but I have to go to the city to get any kind of selection of worth and since I go in for other reasons, I just do that shopping then as well. I must say, you did FABULOUS this week what with all that going on! Had I been let go, even if I secretly wanted it, I would have slugged down some wine for sure. Ha ha ha. You are rocking it!,,,good luck with your blog. I'll head over to it. Maybe I should do a blog. But it would be kinda boring. Like today was like yesterday only it wasn't! Ha!

Hi all, I am not sure where to pose this question.  I am on day 8, and my finger joints are killing me, worse than ever before.  I am wondering if it is one of two things that I'm eating different than normal or if it's just the process?  I am using coconut milk/cream and cinnamon in my coffee in the morning. There were tons of things I took OPUT of my diet, but these are the only two items that I brought in on a daily basis.  

Seems strange though, since they only hurt like this when I eat gluten and I haven't had any of that.  I goggled on this site and on the web to see if either of those create inflamation, but it says not....of course, I am going to go with out for a few days and see what happens.  Just wondering if anyone else has more pain now than before starting?

Other than that, well, heck,,,it's day 8, all is well.  Karen

Day 11 and still here...the only slip up...not enough sleep...got caught watching the Bucket List until midnight...

no one to blame but my self

Tried coffee with the canned unsweetened coconut milk... omg...

hope all is well with you...

KathKay, you go girl!  My other half worked for Starxxxx's a few years back...as the days progress I am sure you will feel more and more liberated!

cheers

Bridgid

• Administrators

Hi Karen, are you drinking enough water?  We recommend a half ounce of water per pound of bodyweight.  Could be that you are a bit dehydrated and therefore you have less synovial fluid lubricating your joints?

Hi Ladyshanny, I think I do....I drink herbal tea (no caffeine) and water all day it seems, but maybe I should count. I know it is a mystery....other than that, I am fine.  Still a little tired, but no more than usual, ha ha...

BTW, as I have read some discussion about eating, "comfort foods", I wondered if anyone uses Paleo Comfort food cookbook?  Well, I have it, and it has lots of good recipes.  Im not going to the SWYPO recipes, as there are quite a few good looking things in there....ha ha.(for later maybe) but I did make the Chicken Pot Pie tonight and It was less than steller..thought I would pass that on.  Does anyone have a good chicken pie recipe?  They used almond meal to make a crust of sorts.  Didn't really work.  I wonder if using cauliflower would be better?

Less chatter on the forum lately.  I think we are all getting comfortable in our new lifestyle, eh?

Have a GREAT night and dream a dream of green veggies, all mushed up with meat.....

• Administrators

I've never made a "paleo" chicken pot pie and I think it would be heading towards SWYPO for me. There is nothing like creamy chicken filling in a flaky, buttery crust. Nothing. I think I would be more likely to make the filling and serve it over mashed cauli or a baked sweet potato.

This is the end of day 7 for me

Yesterday I almost took a sip of my husbands glass of wine good thing he took it with him when he left the room. I am amazed that I have gone 7 days with out any alcohol. I did the Whole 30 in September so I know I can do it but the first week is always the hardest.

Day 12 - Food is my friend, I swear it is! Exercise, well I started the 21-day Primal Challenge and today's challenge was incorporating more in your life. I bowl in +60 yy league and today I 'people-watched' and made an effort to walk from lane 1 to lane 32. I saw people bowling and enjoying their 'golden years'. Walked/talked to many of them. Maybe, exercise is a good thing....they are happier and socialize more and some don't care what they score, they are alive and having fun! And we walked our neighborhood, my dh is laughing more (even tho he started out as an unwilling convert), he stopped sneaking snacks 3 days ago and he bragged about it to me! 3 days, he is so proud of himself. We are not to old to learn new things!! Yea, wtg all of us!

Archived