Balsamic Vinegar

cmyates

Welcome!

Balsamic vinegar has been discussed many times previously in the forum.  You need to check the ingredients list for compliance, looking out especially for added sulfites. If the ingredients list contains sulfites or other non-compliant ingredients, it's a no go for a Whole30.

If the ingredients list checks out and it says somewhere else on the label that it contains naturally occurring sulfites, you're fine.

The easiest way to search the forum is via Google. Type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for, and if it's been discussed here, you'll get links to the posts.

I was doing my grocery shopping at Whole Foods today for the start of my Whole 30 and the only balsamic vinegars I could find had sugar grams listed in the nutritional info.  I couldn't find any that didn't.  I didn't even get to the sulfites issue.  Since sugar isn't compliant what should I be looking for?

thanks,

Laurie

I was doing my grocery shopping at Whole Foods today for the start of my Whole 30 and the only balsamic vinegars I could find had sugar grams listed in the nutritional info.  I couldn't find any that didn't.  I didn't even get to the sulfites issue.  Since sugar isn't compliant what should I be looking for?

thanks,

Laurie

Don't worry about the nutritional info, worry about the ingredient list. Lots of foods that are compliant have naturally occurring sugars in them but we are concerned with added sugars. 

The "Contains Sulfites" on Trader Joe's Balsamic Vinegar makes me nervous because it is under Ingredients (see photo).  What do you think ?  Natural or added ?  Thanks.

I would contact them and ask, to get a definitive answer.

Hey all, I am very new to this (on my second day!) but can shed some light on this topic being a chef. Balsamic Vinegar is like wine and other European foods in that it is regionally protected and what it on the bottle will give you a good idea of what it contains and whether it is okay.

What you want to seek out is Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale.The original. It's made simply by reducing pressed grape juice. and then aged for 12+ years in a variety of barrels. Made from grapes, it will have sugar, but no ADDED sugar. This is the good stuff. It is also only produced in two Italian provinces.

There is also Condimento grade which may be labled in a variety of ways including salsa balsamica. Most of this stuff will also be compliant as it is typically made in the same way but often aged much less or has additional reduced grape juice. There are no rules on production so it's hard to assess quality or compliance so study your bottles.

The most common (and cheapest) is labeled Balsamic Vinegar de Modena. It is commercial grade, which is confusing because Modena is one of the provinces that makes legit balsamic vinegar, so PAY ATTENTION TO THE NAME. It is almost always not complaint as it is made from wine vinegar and includes caramel for coloring, added sugar, and cornflour. 

Which brings me to balsamic vinaigrette. Almost always, this will contain sugar as it is made from Modena, and is absolutely not okay in any restaurant. The good news it is insanely easy to make at home. Take a jar of any sort, put in 1 part EVOO and 1 part balsamic vinegar (selected using what you used above) and add in any spices you want, Herbs de Provence  or Italian seasoning is a good bet, then put the lid on and shake the hell out of it. Congrats you just made a great balsamic vinaigrette.

Edit to add: There is high quality Balsamic Vinegar de Modena that will satisfy requirements just pay attention to the ingredients, or rather one ingredient; grape must. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I've spent a lot of time researching this and still not sure what to do: I love fig vinegar and bought a brand named "Lucini". On the bottle, it lists these ingredients: cooked grape Must, wine vinegar, fig juice, aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, 4% (Wine vinegar, cooked grape Must).

Can I use this stuff? If  not, is there a way to make my own fig-flavored vinegar?

Thanks.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Karenlk said:

I've spent a lot of time researching this and still not sure what to do: I love fig vinegar and bought a brand named "Lucini". On the bottle, it lists these ingredients: cooked grape Must, wine vinegar, fig juice, aged Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, 4% (Wine vinegar, cooked grape Must).

Can I use this stuff? If  not, is there a way to make my own fig-flavored vinegar?

Thanks.

What is the ingredient of which you are concerned?

Archived