Ideas for Plantains?

keightlynn

I bought some plantains for a recipe I wanted to try, but I didn't realize until I got home that the receipe called for green plantains and I got ripe ones.  From what I understand this makes a big differencein the world of cooking with plantains.  Any good suggestions for what to use my ripe plantains for?

• Moderators

The ripe ones will be sweeter than green ones, and a bit softer. I don't know what your recipe was, but you might be able to still make it even with the ones you bought, although it may change the flavor some.

You can fry them like this, or bake them like this. If you want a more savory taste to them, try seasoning with some chili powder, salt, and lime (that should work whether you bake or fry them). You could also do a plantain casserole.

im obsessed with plantains. I like the greenish ones for anything like casserole or plantain fries, but I've been forced to buy the ripe ones before. I cut them up into about 1-2 inch coins and baked them in the oven with coconut oil, cinnamon and S&P for about 20 minutes. Delish!

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite recipes for REALLY RIPE plantains is pastelón, also known as "Puerto Rican lasagna." (I cringe when I hear it described like that, but anyway...) Cheese is usually included but you can leave it out for Whole 30 if you want.  

Archived