Super Messed Up Metabolism

keightlynn

He didn't fight me on breakfast this morning, but still wouldn't take lunch.  sigh.  I totally understand why he feels fustrated, but I wish he could see that the short term solutions are what lead to the problem. I really believe a little patience here will pay off if I can just convince him to stick with it and not revert back to the crash diet mindset. 

• 1 month later...

Keightlynn - I know exactly how he feels. I've done a whole pile of diets and gained on most of them. Restricting food too much (even intermittent fasting) usually makes me gain weight, my body seems to switch into some kind of low gear where I really don't burn anything. On Whole30 my metabolism is so much better. My blood glucose is lower and more stable and in general I can feel my metabolism kicking into a higher gear. I sweat more, I get hot more.

"There are times when the body simply needs a break from weight loss. It has its own system, its own agenda and its own timetable. In the long run, it nearly always responds to sensible management by the person in charge—you. But in the short run, your body may decide to go its own way, for its own reasons, which perhaps we don't understand."

http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-blogs/colette-heimowitz/should-you-fast-to-break-a-plateau

Fasting doesn't help women lose weight....even Mr. A. says the rebound is not worth it.  It compounds a super messed up metabolism.

• 8 months later...

There are times when the body simply needs a break from weight loss.  It has its own system, its own agenda and its own timetable.  In the long run, it nearly always responds to sensible management by the person in charge--you.  But in the short run, your body may decide to go its own way, for its own reasons, which perhaps you don't understand.

The body and the mind will rebel.  After years of over-restriction and throwing everything up against the wall to see what sticks, a body may go its own way and slow the metabolism down to a crawl.  You can eat all of your food before you go to bed and call that a window.   I call that the recipe for taking a finely tuned machine and turning it into a rototiller.   Grinding your mind and body into mulch and lawn clippings. 

Someone told my husband's buddy to start eating all of his calories at night.  He went from sculpted to love handles that he can't get rid off.  We can't convince him that eating everything at night is not a window but tanking up at a time when the body slows down.

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.  The body is efficient and given real foods in real amounts during the day it burns everything like a well-oiled machine.   Booyah.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Weird coincidence... I was just thinking of this thread today (it stuck with me from last year) while talking to my 50+ lbs overweight mailman - I was wondering if leaving him a copy of ISWF for the holidays would be taboo... 

Your husband absolutely has to eat a big breakfast with protein and veggies within one hour of waking in the morning. This one change could make all the difference in the world to his losing weight. Eating breakfast is the most powerful way to reset hormonal rhythms. It is important to eat breakfast even if he does not feel like eating. Eating one meal per day guarantees hormonal problems that make weight loss difficult. He absolutely needs 3 meals per day. 

Truth. 

This is the 'magic' that fixes a super-messed-up metabolism.

Archived