Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

re the comment on feeling crappy for the 1st few days 

for those mothers out there ...

i am going to treat any headaches like labour - pain - but good positive pain - with a positive outcome 

and as with labour it will pass and you will more than likely go on to do it again

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snacking...not forbidden but discouraged.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/17086-why-are-we-not-allowed-snacks/

GFChris

Whole9 Moderator Since July 26, 2013

• photo-thumb-28123.jpg?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4547 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Re-read page 185 in It Starts With Food.   :) 

Snacks are discouraged, not forbidden.  The idea is to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Per ISWF, this "gives glucagon time to do its job and mobilize some energy and keeps leptin levels normalized."  Further, eating this way "encourages the optimal hormonal response."

Part of what you learn on a Whole30 is your listen to your body's satiety signals. If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), then the recommendation is to have a mini-meal including a protein and fat. In the meantime, tweak the portion sizes at your meals until you get to the point where they satiate you for 4-5 hours.

If you're not hungry 3 hours after eating a meal, don't eat.

Welcome aboard, Maggiew! If you read earlier posts in this thread, you will find some tips. As for recipes, if you Google "whole30" plus whatever ingredients you want to cook, you'll find tons of recipes. Try:

"Whole30 slow cooker"

"Whole30 main dishes"

"Whole30 breakfast"

"Whole30 cabbage"

etc, etc.  

RenVer - don't put so much pressure on yourself! I didn't finish my first Whole30 - I made it to Day 22 & went off the rails. But I learned a TON in 22 days - enough to feel sure that this time I will be successful. You WILL learn a lot about yourself & your relationship to food. We are all here to support you as well.

Hello, I am new and I think I have my husband talked into doing this for Lent. I usually do something health or finance related for Lent. 

(One year I didn't buy any books during Lent. That was hard!)

I am gluten intolerant. I have been gluten free for almost three years. In that time, I have gained fifteen pounds. 

I have been grain free for 6 months or so (except for December, which showed me that grains are NOT good for me).

We eat a lot of paleo food, but we do drink and we do eat sugar and honey and molasses and potato chips.

Those things need to go. Having a Vague Idea to Eat Better is not working for me, and I think a Whole30 will give me the guidelines I need to reset.

What are you scared of? Preparation? The first few days of feeling crappy? Change in general?

I am worried I will be sick without my raw local honey. It is so helpful for my allergies. I am hoping some bee pollen will work as well.

I am worried that I won't sleep without my bedtime drink. It is such a relaxing cozy thing to do every night.

Glad to have you, joyce27! Preparation is key to Whole30 success. Are you making any preparations? Anyone else doing prep?

As for me, I have a GIANT pot of gumbo z'herbes (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/gumbo-zherbes-recipe2.html) simmering on the stove right now. I have tomorrow off (President's Day), & I will be doing some more cooking then. It's supposed to be cold in Denver this week, so I'm making another soup - Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup (http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/) from Melissa Joulwan at Clothes Make the Girl.

Had my first dream where I accidentally ate something non-compliant ... breaded prawns and 7-Up. Neither of which I ever eat in real life. I was thinking I'd have to start over but then realised I hadn't even started yet.

Home made ghee is ready, also made niter kibbeh (ethiopian spiced ghee), fridge is chock full of veg, almost feel like I could start right now but I'll be patient.

angledge, the gumbo z'herbes looks wonderful. I don't think I can get file powder anywhere, is it possible to make it without? It's cold here in London too so I think I'll have a lot more stews and soups than last time.

I'm going to be prepping and planning today. I have a whole chicken in the crockpot and will be organizing my fridge and pantry. The most success I had in the past was due to Melissa Joulwan's meal plans where she prepped ahead. But I also need to not overthink this. I've read some blogs about people who have successfully completed a Whole30 and some of them said they ate the same thing for breakfast or lunch every day just because it worked and they didn't have to think about it a lot. That may be my breakfast this time around. We have chickens so always have eggs on hand. A breakfast that carries me through to lunch usually consists of poached eggs and leftover vegetables and a dollop of homemade mayo. Simple and doesn't take much time. Good luck to everyone who is getting ready for our great start on Wednesday!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!!! I think I am overthinking it and to be successful I will plan ahead yes but also keep it very simple. I think that's where I usually fail... I'm trying too hard to make this a "pinterest" type of diet lol. Simplicity will be my moto through these next weeks!!

I'm in! 

I tried in January and failed at day 11. 

I'm a professional long jumper, so I've been struggling to find a time that's "suitable" to start another Whole30 that won't interfere with my competitive season, but maybe it's just time to stop making excuses

Last time it was sugary treats that I missed too much, I caved and bought chocolate when I got ill!

Hoping having a community for support will help this time! 

I'm gonna spend a bunch of time tomorrow making soup and chilli and all sorts, 'cause I am so hungry when I get home from training that I'll grab the first thing available! Looking forward to it!

I am in! I did one in January and fell off the wagon hard over the last few weeks. I have found that a group like this does wonders to keep me motivated during the month. I am hoping to take Wednesday off work to do my prep. I am planning to follow AIP to deal with my psoriasis. I have not been able to cut this stuff out long term, so I haven't nailed down my trigger foods yet.

I have two big work trips over the next several weeks, so that will be the hardest part for me, since I will have limited control over my food. Any ideas would be appreciated. Most of my easy emergency foods have non AIP foods, which adds a whole other layer. First trip is next week, planning to fill my suitcase with olives and canned tuna.

artfulallie, Jazmin, & IrishEyes - hi!

Jazmin, you may have found this already but if not, there's a whole section of the forum for athletes: 

http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/11-whole30-for-athletes/

There's tons of discussion about what to eat before & after workouts.

IrishEyes, traveling on the Whole30 is a challenge. Check out this PDF (you will have to modify for AIP): 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-travel.pdf

Did a boston butt in the crockpot yesterday - just shredded it and split between storage containers.  I'm amazed at the amount of fat in it.  Will try not to get too bothered by it - I tried to get out as much obvious fat as I could.  Next up are turkey thighs, then chicken thighs, then flat iron steak.  Having prepared meats easily at hand is a must for me.  Stocked up on veggies.  Making a big pot of ratatoille today also.

Having the same meals for a few days is what gets me through also - no thinking about what do I feel like. 

joyce 27

I eat a lot of the same stuff each day and it works for me

Breaky is generally omelette (with meat / veg / mush) OR I like rocket / salmon and a fried egg OR I like boiled egg with asparagus to dip in it

Lunch is pretty simple - salad with meat / fish

Dinner I get more creative about

It takes a lot of the thinking and stressing about what to eat out of it

Good luck

Zoe 

Archived