Dark chocolate vs. dried peaches

hmb13

Ok... before you freak out, I *know* that dark chocolate is OUT for W30. I haven't eaten any. That being said, in my "normal" not-W30 life, I feel like the dark chocolate I eat (often ~70% cacao or more) is less sweet than the dried peach I just popped in my mouth to help me forget about the dark chocolate that I'm craving (I'm on Day 7 of my third W30).

I understand that even a 70% dark chocolate bar contains refined sugar, and often soy lecithin and vanilla, which is why it's off-plan. BUT, it seems that *so* many people are doing W30 to kill their sugar dragons. Theoretically speaking, if "slaying the sugar dragon" is someone's primary goal, wouldn't it be better to grab a really dark piece of chocolate when you're craving something sweet, rather than the dried peach I just ate, in terms of both sugar content AND nutrient density? (The polyphenols found in the cacao of minimally processed chocolate bars like this one actually have anti-inflammatory properties!)

Just playing devil's advocate :)  I'll still wait until Day 31 to eat my chocolate.

nope. Choosing to avoid BOTH the dark chocolate and the dried peach is the way to starve your sugar dragon. If you are hungry, eat meat, vegetables and fat. If you are not hungry, don't eat. It really is that simple.

As an aside, you are right on about soy lecithin being one reason you can't have dark chocolate on the whole30. Eliminating soy completely matters (for me, it matters enough that I work hard to find soy lecithin-free chocolate in my post-whole30 life).

• Moderators

We recommend starving a sugar dragon. We recommend avoiding dried fruit altogether. When you are craving something sweet, eat protein and fat with a side of veggies. Eating a dried peach is exactly the wrong thing to do. 

Actually dried fruits are sugar bombs.  And we do consider them as such.  This is why it says that dried fruit and nuts should be limited.

It is not advisable to eat fruit when you are craving something sweet.  Basically you brain is throwing a tantrum for something sweet and when you are eating fruit what are you giving it?  Something sweet.  So try to avoid this.  The whole 30 is not only about avoiding certain foods and cleaning up your diet, but it is about your relationship with food as well.

Instead when you are craving something - first of all gauge if you are actually hungry, thirsty, bored, or are just craving something mindlessly.  If you are indeed hungry (you are hungry enough to eat something super plain like steamed fish with broccoli) then eat!  Make sure that it is a mini meal that follows the template - so minimum of protein, vegetable and fat.  For example you could eat a boiled egg with some cut up peppers, carrots with some homemade mayo for dipping.

I used to get a 3pm slump - meaning I would get snacky around 3pm.  Usually it's for something chocolatey.  What has worked for me is tea. I now have a tea (rooibos is great!) during my 3 pm snacky time.  And it works like a charm.

If you are bored - go for a walk, read something, buy a magazine, do your nails etc.  Find something else to do.  Do not feed your sugar dragon.

Archived