Homemade Coconut Yoghurt & Coconut Water Kefir

alishamoxon

I make up homemade yoghurt using only the flesh from young coconuts, blending it with kefir starter culture.

I am only having 1 tbspn with breakfast, just wondered if it passes on Whole30?

Also using the coconut water from the young coconuts to make a kefir drink with (that is just coconut water and kefir starter culture), I am hoping that too is Whole30 ok? I'm using that as my daily probiotic.

Thank you - first Whole30 and it's certainly a lot to take in!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a clean KEFIR?  I am going to face the facts in that I probably will not be making it myself, and a blog post from Chris Kresser a long while back suggested a Lifeway brand (link below), but it has pectin in it.  Thoughts on this brand, or others?  Pectin?

http://lifewaykefir.com/products/plain-whole-milk-kefir/

Does anyone know of a clean KEFIR?  I am going to face the facts in that I probably will not be making it myself, and a blog post from Chris Kresser a long while back suggested a Lifeway brand (link below), but it has pectin in it.  Thoughts on this brand, or others?  Pectin?

http://lifewaykefir.com/products/plain-whole-milk-kefir/

Pectin is fine, but milk is not. Dairy Kefir is not allowed during the whole30. sorry.

Hi Tom

I have included a photo of the ingredients - I've no idea if they're milk based or not. Would you know?

Thank you

Alisha

There two kinds of kefir grains--water kefir and dairy kefir. Dairy kefir is grown in  a milk-based liquid whereas the water kefir is grown in a sugar/water solution. If you're not sure which one you have and really want to have kefir during your Whole 30, you're probably better off just ordering new kefir grains and making sure that you order water kefir.

• 1 year later...

Hello! This question seemed to fit here (I was debating starting a new thread), do you think that homemade water kefir would be appropriate for W30? Homemade kombucha seems to have gotten a yes for W30 if you don't add sugar after the first fermentation http://whole30.com/2016/08/kombucha/

Would the same rules apply for water kefir? I am tempted to try it, but it seems prudent to explore whether it is okay before ordering :)

thoughts?

As per the official 'Can I Have..?' list water kefir, like kombucha, is fine provided you're not adding any sugar after fermentation.

Water Kefir: Yes

Following the same logic as kombucha, we’re okay with water kefir.  If you’re making it yourself, do what you can to ensure that the sugar is used by the bacteria (appropriate fermentation time). If you’re buying, avoid those brands with added sugar in the ingredients list.

Archived