post workout carbs?

tulipgirl6

Do you have to have starchy carbs after a workout?  Can you just eat extra cucumbers or tomatoes?  Or does it have to be a potato or sweet potato?  I'm on day 14 and want to start exercising again . . .

If you work out in the AM is it terrible to have just a cucumber and egg and tea with coconut oil mixed in, and have breakfast after?  

Thanks for your help!

• Moderators

Post workout carbs are optional. Most people appreciate how they restore energy levels, but I stopped eating carbs after workouts several years ago. Root veggies are the most concentrated carb sources available during a Whole30. 

The purpose of a post-workout meal is to feed your hungry muscles lean protein within the brief window after exercise that they are especially open to receiving protein. That is why we recommend foods like chicken breast or tuna packed in water. Eating a whole egg and tea with coconut oil is a bad choice for a post-workout meal because the fat in the egg and coconut oil slows digestion and means the protein in the egg will probably not reach the muscles while the window is open widest. 

thanks so much!  i meant having the egg / cucumber / coconut tea pre-workout, as a light snack and having a real breakfast after.  i'm not a fan of root veggies and high carbs so maybe I will be fine without them.  tuna sardines and chicken are my thing with lots of salads!!!  

thank you again!

thanks so much!  i meant having the egg / cucumber / coconut tea pre-workout, as a light snack and having a real breakfast after. 

Pre-workout we recommend fat and protein, but not carbs. I suppose you could have cucumber, but the egg and coconut tea would do the trick.

thanks so much!  i meant having the egg / cucumber / coconut tea pre-workout, as a light snack and having a real breakfast after.  i'm not a fan of root veggies and high carbs so maybe I will be fine without them.  tuna sardines and chicken are my thing with lots of salads!!!  

thank you again!

Just be aware that if you are starting to feel tired you might be over depleting your glycogen stores. We do recommend at least one serving of starchy vegetables a day for highly active people. Personally when I skimp on my starchy carbs I go into eat all the things mode until I resolve the issue. Your mileage may vary.

Archived