My bone broth reduced in the crock pot and a FEW other questions!

Jenn1270

good evening all. I'm on day 22, and today when i got home from a MUCH longer day at work than I had expected, I realized my bone broth had been on "keep warm" for probably 4 hours--when I left this morning, the broth level was not much different than it was the night before, but when I looked at it upon returning from work, it had reduced by about 1/8- 1/4! The previouis times I've done my bone broth, i hadn't lost as much liquid

Also, my broth (chicken) was very dark this time. I do know that there were some pieces of meat left on the carcass, but I felt that it was probably ok to not get it all off-- the underside of my whole chicken had a little left on it...Is it ok that it was darker in color?

I put in some lovely carrots, a few bay leaves, celery, and onions along with the bones of the whole chicken- 

My 2nd question is about the left over carrots, onions and celery--I really love stewed veggies like that with my pot roast meat, is it ok to eat those veggies from the broth-- I did, but I wasn't sure, since their vitamins would probably be stripped out of them-- 

My 3rd question is about Ghee - I know that you should remove it from the heat right as it starts to brown, but I might have been a tiny bit late one this -- and my ghee actually has a different color this time (seems i'm burning stuff this week)...it's the most amazing flavor though...reminds me of baking-- is it OK to have this a tiny bit browned instead of a golden yellow color?

Thanks if you have any advice for me I'd love to hear! Appreciate it!

• Moderators

Your broth may be more concentrated and cooked. That is okay, although you might want to add a little water and thin it if it proves to be too thick.

I think eating the well-cooked veggies is okay and the vitamins may be around somewhere. :)

You can brown ghee and make a sort of brown butter thing. No problem. 

• Administrators

Hi Jenn, I always let my broth go for a few days and both my chicken, turkey and my pork come out extremely dark, almost like coffee.  That's how I enjoy it best, it has a lovely "brown" flavour to it and I find it extremely rich.  Sometimes if my liquid reduces too much I just add back water and let it keep cooking.  I personally would not bother eating the veggies from the finished broth.  If you've done your bone broth right, the veggies will have given everything they had to the broth and they should be smooshy and tasteless.  Same with whatever meat is left on your bones, it should be almost a paste and unappetizing. 

That reduced bone broth is perfect for sipping on its own and it will make a great soup!

• Moderators

I think you are ok with it having been left on warm for 4 hours. We have left ours longer than that. I have read that bringing the broth to a very low boil for 10 minutes will boil out most nasties that may have resulted. Ruhlman used to keep his bone broth out on the stove all week and just reheat it for 10 min boil. The NYTimes did a piece about the safety of that and you can get to there via Ruhlman's post on the matter. Fascinating reading.

• Administrators

I actually do my bone broth on Keep Warm as it is the setting that keeps it barely simmering.  If I put it on Low it'll boil the whole time.  The newer crockpots run much hotter than the ones that our parents got for their wedding gifts.

Next time I do my broth I'm going to throw a thermometer in there and see what's actually happening.  :)

That's funny, mine on low never comes to a boil--i usually turn it to high to start, let it boil for 10 minutes, and then go to low.

What happens if you forget the ACV? I sorta forgot so at hour 8 I added it in- i see no difference this time :)

• Administrators

That's funny, mine on low never comes to a boil--i usually turn it to high to start, let it boil for 10 minutes, and then go to low.

What happens if you forget the ACV? I sorta forgot so at hour 8 I added it in- i see no difference this time :)

I always start mine on high on Friday night after work. Usually bones are thawed.  Drop it to low over night and then the next morning I turn it to Keep Warm and let it go until at least Monday night, sometimes Tuesday.

ACV helps leach the minerals out of the bones. It's not something you would notice but definitely worth trying to remember.  ;)

Archived