New toys

JosieJake

Bought some new toys. A Vitamix blender, a emmersion blender that I haven't received yet, and a spiraler with lots of attachments. It works great on zucchini. Tonight I tried butternut squash. Very hard to do. Any suggestions to do it easier or cook faster? It was good, but...

I assume you're saying you tried butternut squash for the first time, not that you tried spiralling it for the first time?  My spiralizer could not handle processing a butternut squash!  

Sometimes when I cook butternut squash, I will stick the whole thing in the oven for the first half hour or so, then take it out and cut it, then continue the cooking.  

My mom always pokes holes in butternut squash with a fork, then microwaves it on medium for like 10 minutes, then bakes it for a much shorter time.  You might like to try that.  (I'm anti-microwave, so an hour in the oven is a happy wait for me!)

Enjoy!

• Administrators

My immersion blender just kicked the bucket last night when I attempted to use it to re-combine some old almond butter with the separated oil in order to use it to make sunshine sauce.  Alas, it was too much for the little cheapie to handle and it died a smoky, grinding, stinky death.

New Kitchen Aid stainless steel industrial strength immersion blender coming my way soon!

• 2 weeks later...

My immersion blender just kicked the bucket

Agh!!! That would be a big tragedy at my house. I use it nearly every day.

I just got an Instant Pot pressure cooker. I expect it to make it to the top of my favorites very soon. Next on my wish list is a spiralizer.

Archived