Moodiness and Fewd

LancerLott

ladyshanny suggested I post my food log for the past few days to gain some insight on what fewds might be affecting my moods. In the past 2 days, I seem alot better than Days 1-12, so here's what I've had lately:

Tuesday Meals:

1) Primal Casserole (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz3QowHAwTH) and 1 small navel orange.

2) Crockpot turkey breast (http://stupideasypaleo.com/2012/10/07/crockpot-turkey-breast/), 1 small golden delicious apple, and 1/2 an avocado.

3) Tahini turkey burgers (http://whole30.com/2014/09/buns-not-included/) and raw veggies (broccoli, carrots, and celery) with avocado dip (from the book). 

Monday Meals:

1) Primal Casserole (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz3QowHAwTH) and 1 small navel orange.

2) Pear and Parsnip Soup (http://anorganicconversation.com/paleo-parsnip-pear-soup/) and 1 pork chop (http://autoimmune-paleo.com/sear-roasted-pork-chops/). 

3) Turkey Pot Pie (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1889535)

Sunday Meals:

1) Primal Casserole (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-casserole/#axzz3QowHAwTH).

2) Green salad with chicken salad (cooked chicken breast and paleo mayo), and pantry dressing.

3) New York Steak with raw veggies and avocado dip (broccoli, orange peppers, and carrots), and 1 small golden delicious apple.

2 cups coffee with coconut milk

1 date/nut bar (http://www.awoodennest.com/2013/07/chocolate-nut-date-bars.html?m=1).

(Yes, NOW I know they aren't recommended, even though they are compliant): 

• Moderators

Right off the bat I'd recommend increasing your starchy veggies. Add sweet potato, winter squash, parsnips, beets, white potatoes, perhaps with every meal. Don't fear carbs. Starchy veg are satiating, mood boosting, and will help you sleep, especially when eaten with meal 3.

Right off the bat I'd recommend increasing your starchy veggies. Add sweet potato, winter squash, parsnips, beets, white potatoes, perhaps with every meal. Don't fear carbs. Starchy veg are satiating, mood boosting, and will help you sleep, especially when eaten with meal 3.

That does make sense. Today I definitely didn't have enough fewd for lunch: 1 turkey tahini burger, a large green salad, and raw veggies- all with just pantry dressing (cuz I was out of avocado dip). I just got back from Subway (I'm at work, so that is the only place I know of where I can get a salad with just oil and vinegar- no sugar, etc.), where I got a turkey breast salad. I had some pantry dressing left from lunch, so I added that to the minimal oil and vinegar they put on the salad. I had to ask them for spinach because all they had out was iceberg lettuce! Anyways, I ate my salad and had a Larabar stashed for emergency- this was one today- so I ate that WITH the salad because not enough satiating ingredients in that salad or in my lunch salad.

Tonight we are having salmon curry (I made a huge batch this morning), and I used butternut squash in that as my main veggie (so tonight I'll be full and sleep good!). The morning frittata could have used some sweet potatoes for sure but it had enough ground beef in it to keep me full till lunch. Perhaps I'll "bake" (microwave) a sweet potato tomorrow morning to add to my breakfast frittata (meal 1), or I'll add 1/2 an avocado!

• Administrators

Yep, I would agree completely with LadyM in all respects! :)

Let us know how you go over the next couple of days. And don't get discouraged, depending on your context PRE Whole30, it could simply take a bit longer in healing and rebalancing. :)

Today was a bit better, till I went to lunch with my business partner and thought I ordered something that was okay. Lesson learned- ask what's in the salad dressing! 

Wednesday:

1) Beef, spinach, and onions frittata (from the book), and a small orange

2) 1 tahini turkey burger (same recipe as night before), with a big green salad with pantry dressing, raw broccoli, carrots, and celery. 1 small golden delicious apple. 

3) (Had to get MORE food because lunch didn't leave me full) Subway turkey breast salad with oil & vinegar and a Larabar (Yes, I know. No more Larabars.)

4) Salmon curry (made from the book) with butternut squash, mushrooms, and orange peppers. Yummy AND filling! 

*1 coffee with coconut milk and 1 cup of tea

Thursday:

1) Beef, spinach, and onions frittata (from the book), and 1 small baked sweet potato with ghee. 

2) 1/2 avocado, 1/2 serving salmon curry.

3) (Business Meal) arugula and kombucha squash salad with garlic tomatoes and citrus "viniagrette" (This I believe had sugar in it, and I could not taste any vinegar, citrus, OR oil) *Very disappointed; only ate half. Also had some brussel sprouts with tiny bits of prosciutto (Not sure if sugar-free or not but was a very tiny amount in the dish). 

4) Dinner will be marinated london broil steaks and baked sweet potatoes with ghee.

*2 cups coffee (1 with coconut milk and the other one with homemade almond milk)

Have you triple checked the turkey breast at Subway? I've never come across a deli meat or chain restaurant protein that doesn't contain some non compliant ingredients. . . .

Here is the Subway allergens menu. https://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/US_Allergen_chart.pdf

It says there are soybeans in their turkey breast sandwich. That could be the turkey or something else.  Worth checking for that, sugar/sweeteners and carrageenan as the top likelihoods of non-compliant culprits in their turkey.

Here is the Subway allergens menu. https://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/US_Allergen_chart.pdf

It says there are soybeans in their turkey breast sandwich. That could be the turkey or something else.  Worth checking for that, sugar/sweeteners and carrageenan as the top likelihoods of non-compliant culprits in their turkey.

No, I didn't have time to check. I was at work, and I knew I would at least get lots of veggies there. All the other restaurants near me aren't chain places, so I can't look any of them up. Thanks for posting the allergens menu. Now I have no idea where is safe to eat out at. What to you do when you go out to eat a meal? 

I looked at the turkey in their salad just now from the link- it does have trace soybeans, but nothing else offensive. Ths turkey salas has the least amount of offensive ingredients than anything else exept of course, their Veggie Delite Salad (but NO protein). What is worse? 

• Moderators

The safest bet for eating out is probably something like a steakhouse, although even then you have to ask what they've marinated the meat in and specify no butter, and of course you have to watch any added sauces. For any restaurant, it would probably be good to call ahead and talk to them about what you can order to meet all your requirements -- so if any of the restaurants around your office are ones that you'd like to be able to eat at regularly, try that. Call at a time when they're not busy, not right in the middle of a lunch rush, obviously.

For something like forgetting to pack a lunch and needing emergency food, it might be worth keeping cans of tuna or salmon in your desk at work. If all else fails, you could get the veggie salad from subway and add the tuna or salmon. 

I looked at the turkey in their salad just now from the link- it does have trace soybeans, but nothing else offensive. Ths turkey salas has the least amount of offensive ingredients than anything else exept of course, their Veggie Delite Salad (but NO protein). What is worse? 

Instead of looking at it as better or worse, it's either Whole30 compliant vs. off-plan food.  No amount of soy is compliant on a Whole30.

I like Shannon's suggestion of getting the veggie delight salad and supplying your own compliant protein.  

Or find another restaurant, or bring your own meals to work ...

I understand about the compliant thing but seriously, it seems like I am being attacked here every time I post that I happened to have an off-plan food (mostly from being way too hungry and trying to do my best)! How is that supportive? Shannon gave me useful advice, and I can use that advice, so thank you Shannon! You rock! Though, MOST tuna cans do contain soy and vegetable broth, btw, which I found from reading all labels. I always have backup compliant tuna and salmon cans at home. Also, MOST teas contain soy and many, stevia. Yesterday was am emergency (Btw, I did bring my meal to work and it was not enough food), and I don't appreciate feelin attacked. I did the BEST that I could do at the time. How much do I have to defend myself from these attacks? I am not un-intelligent and I am doing my best to use my due diligence to do this program 99% perfectly. Already, another mod suggested that I could not possibly have any kind of emergency that would warrant eating a Larabar. How about choosing that versus a Subway salad? That is what I did in the past and got attacked. 

• Moderators

I'm so sorry you're feeling attacked. I can assure you that is not our intention. My implication about the Larabars was that for me there's no emergency that warrants a Larabar because I've learned the hard way what a bad effect they have on me. I couldn't have known that had I not done multiple Whole 30s and completely changed my relationship with food. 

Around here you're either doing W30 100 percent or not. Yes, it can be tedious and inconvenient. Yes, it's a huge learning curve. Yes, it can be frustrating. And yes, it's worth it. Our goal is to help you do a W30 100 percent. If you're happy with 99 percent, that's totally your choice. Depending on how you ate before, it probably is a huge improvement. But you're not going to find a mod who will support that as doing a W30. We're not attacking you, though. I promise. We simply want you to succeed with this program as written because we assume that's what you're here for.

And no one here thinks you're a bad person or that you're unintelligent or that you've somehow failed by doing the best you can do. It's all learning. We've all been there: needing more food than we brought, struggling to find compliant food in a world that is not designed to make it easy for us to choose the healthiest foods. We want to help you figure out how to make the best you can do 100 percent compliant and as optimal as possible. 

• 7 months later...

Back at it, LadyM, and you were so correct. Having more starchy vegs right now; thank goodness autumn is here and they are abundant. And yes, when I have them with even just 2/3 meals on a regular day, it's been much better for my mood!

I'm so sorry you're feeling attacked. I can assure you that is not our intention. My implication about the Larabars was that for me there's no emergency that warrants a Larabar because I've learned the hard way what a bad effect they have on me. I couldn't have known that had I not done multiple Whole 30s and completely changed my relationship with food. 

Around here you're either doing W30 100 percent or not. Yes, it can be tedious and inconvenient. Yes, it's a huge learning curve. Yes, it can be frustrating. And yes, it's worth it. Our goal is to help you do a W30 100 percent. If you're happy with 99 percent, that's totally your choice. Depending on how you ate before, it probably is a huge improvement. But you're not going to find a mod who will support that as doing a W30. We're not attacking you, though. I promise. We simply want you to succeed with this program as written because we assume that's what you're here for.

And no one here thinks you're a bad person or that you're unintelligent or that you've somehow failed by doing the best you can do. It's all learning. We've all been there: needing more food than we brought, struggling to find compliant food in a world that is not designed to make it easy for us to choose the healthiest foods. We want to help you figure out how to make the best you can do 100 percent compliant and as optimal as possible. 

That makes sense, now that I've done it and am doing it again. For me, it was very much a learning curve to NOT have snacks and also, learning what would make a compliant mini-meal took awhile (I think I just recently figured that one out). And, lastly, learning to cook with enough healthy fats and starchy veggies was very outside of what I'd been doing the rest of my life, for many year. It was counter-intuitive, but I get it now, and I don't buy the Larabars anymore, because they led to me allowing other sweet treats into my life post-Whole30 the last time. 

Archived