Hi this is day 13 for me on the Whole30 and I am really excited about making my food from scratch.  I tried the Olive Oil Mayo from the Well Fed part 1 book page 43.  The mayo looked perfect!  Then I tasted it and it was awful!?!?!  It has too much of the olive oil taste to it. Help...has anyone else experienced this?  I used Carapelli Florence Extra Light in taste Olive Oil (not extra virgin). Curious what else I could do to help with the taste.

ALSO is it okay to eat raw eggs because there is a raw egg in the recipe?  

Thank you!

Kelly 

Good going on getting to Day 13!

It might be that the recipe you used just had too much olive oil -- 1 1/4 cups. Most recipes I know of normally use just one cup.

It might be that the brand of olive oil you used is too strong. There are other brands with differing flavor palettes.

You might also try using a different neutral oil, such as avocado oil (though of course that would change the flavor).

Play around with recipes, ingredients, etc. And if I may suggest, use the stick blender method -- I find it so much easier than using a food processor.

re: the raw egg issue, #1 advice is don't worry about it, #2 advice is that when you let the egg & lemon juice commingle as they come to room temperature, the acid in the juice "cooks" the egg, similar to what lime juice does in shrimp ceviche.

Excellent answers already given to you by Kirkor and Glenn.  

I use Bertoli Light Olive Oil and it tastes great in the mayo.  I would agree with Glenn that 1 1/4 cup of oil is too much.  I use 1 large egg yolk, 1 cup oil, 1 TB water, 1 TB lemon juice, 1 tsp compliant dijon mustard (does not contain wine) and use the immersion blender technique.  Works every time. Well, interestingly enough, the one time I let the egg yolk sit with the lemon juice in order to cook it - as Kirkor suggests above - is the one failed attempt I experienced.  

I find avocado oil has too strong a flavor.  I definitely did not like it in the mayo.  Macadamia nut oil is great and very light tasting; however, it is pretty pricey and I have difficulty finding it in stores.

I use that recipe exactly as written in terms of oil (I sub apple cider vinegar for lemon juice), and have never had an issue with it tasting too much like olive oil. I wonder if that brand is somehow stronger? I usually use either Bertolli or my store brand, extra light.

I've been eating that mayo nearly every day for the last year and a half and have yet to get sick from the egg. But then, I ate cookie dough without concern for years. :)

salmonella is really only a concern with factory-farmed eggs. Pastured eggs should not have this problem, so choose the best available eggs for your mayo.

Personally I like 1/2 avocado oil/1/2 coconut oil (all coconut and it will solidify in the fridge), although take note: some avocado oil is quite strong and bitter tasting (it will be green), you want the lighter/pale yellow colored oil for mayo.

I use that recipe exactly as written in terms of oil (I sub apple cider vinegar for lemon juice), and have never had an issue with it tasting too much like olive oil. I wonder if that brand is somehow stronger? I usually use either Bertolli or my store brand, extra light.

Same here - I use 1 1/4 c extra light olive oil, and follow the recipe exactly as written, using either Bertolli or Filippo Berio brands.  Have been doing so since summer 2013 and have never had an issue with a strong olive taste.  I also agree it's likely a brand issue.

• 3 months later...

Archived