WHOLE30 Round 1-MaryAnne vs Carbs:-)

maryannet

I just learned that I can log my journey here. I like that I can go back and review. The first week was interesting and TOUGH! but I survived my first weekend Whole30

WHOLE 30 WEEK ONE

August 20th - Today I embark on a crazy journey. The Whole 30! No Dairy, no grain, no legumes, NO WINE, no sugar or sweetners. If it is made by man, read the label CAREFULLY!!!

Spent Saturday grillng up ribs, chicken, pork and beef. Just to make sure I had lots of protien on hand for an easy fix. The quickest way for me to fail of is to not be prepared. So I was trying to get in my prepared mode.

Monday, Coffee NO STEVIA! NO CREAM!! instead Coffee with coconut milk, 2 scrambled eggs, bacon...I am ok... getting used to coffed taste. Lunch ribs and slaw made with coconut millk! different but eatable.Roasted chicken for dinner dry and needed sauce:-)had a little bit of depression then decided I need to get online and get some recipies i thought!

Tuesday, coffee and coconut milk, getting better. Smoothie made with no stevia! pretty delish after all. Maybe I can make it without milk. Lunch-flank steak, and salad with my new recipe of strawberrry balsamic dressing. OK this is good. No repeat of last night, going to make delish dinner of surf and turf. Flank Steak and shrimp on a kabob with veggies...OK I AM FEELING OK!

Wed, coffee not as good, feeling depressed again. I want my cream and stevia. Bacon and fried eggwhite...nasty...needed toast. ok feeling bitchy. Why me stage, how did I get here, why did I let it get here, you know the pity party we all have. but I overcame and made it throught the day.Dinner though sucked, Tilapia flavorless and needed tarter sauce. I decided right then that I need to made every day a challenge to created something new and tasty that will keep me on track! Thank you internet!

Thursday -smoothie, no milk no stevia, just fresh fruit, coconut milk and spinach! deilish! meat and green beans for lunch with no thought of where is the bread, chili made from buffalo and cocoa. OMG new wonderful recipe, I didn't even miss the kidney beans. A delicious day and feeling very strong!

Friday weaved my bacon to the shape of toast and topped it with a scrambled egg:-) leftover cocoa chili and dinner grilled steak, asparagus and sweet potato! All I really missed here was a tall glass of wine, so...I poured my tea into a wine glass. Mind over matter, well kinda, well NOT but I tried and made it without indulging:-)

Saturday, Chicken apple sausage and scrambled eggs in ghee! made the eggs much better in my book. Just like a caveman I knawed on leftover steak at mid day. and dun dun dun dun dun!!! We go over to friends. Would you like a glass of wine, No thank you, would you like a margarita, no thank you, would you like....NO THANK YOU!!! damn that was hard but i refrained. We only stayed a short time because we had not had dinner and I was ready to eat! NOW!!!! this is where better planning comes in. it was 10:30 not a lot of great healty places open. We did manage to see a taco cabana and I ordered a bowl, no shell, no cheese, no sour cream. just lettuce and meat with pico. I was feeling depressed but as i ate it. I thought this isn't so bad and left feeling satisfied. I had made it through not only friday night but ALL DAY SATURDAY!

Sunday, made my yummy smoothie for the family spinach and all. They drank it up. Had a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato for lunch...just no bread and added an avacado and my Homemade Mayo. It was basically a BLT Lettuce wrap. Delish...ending the day with a filet mignon, sweet potato and broccoli.

I probably ate more beef this week that I had eaten in the past year. But if I can't sauce it, bread it, or put it in a casserole I prefer meat.

This week had its ups and downs. But I gave myself a lot of pep talks and team winning speaches and overcame them all. I had great support on the Forum and am getting some new ideas. I am gong to commit to this and see it through. I am thinking this was the hardest part...the first week!

Mary Anne

Great read and I love your candid assessment and comentary. May want to review the Smoothie thing though. I miss mine (had every day for three years before starting (W30).

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2375-good-protein-for-smoothies-during-and-after-whole30/

Keep up the good work and know that we are learning every day from this process.

Cheers

DJ

Mary Anne

Great read and I love your candid assessment and comentary. May want to review the Smoothie thing though. I miss mine (had every day for three years before starting (W30).

http://forum.whole9l...-after-whole30/

Keep up the good work and know that we are learning every day from this process.

Cheers

DJ

Thanks for the great words. My smoothie consist of 1/2 blueberries, 4 strawberries, 1 cup spinach, 1/4 cup coconut milk (fromt the can), enough water to make it blend and ice to make it cold and slushy:-) I am not a morning person and not a huge fan of eggs. On my...I don't feel like cooking days, or crap I need to be at work in 20 minutes...days, I throw it in my bullet and take it with me. Not a great option but I feel like I am at least choosing a healthy alternative and I thought I was Whole30 compliant...besides not drinking your meals :blink: I didn't buy the book I just joined here on the web. I still can't find where it says that about drinking your meals. This morning I was late and microwaved bacon and that is what I had for breakfast. Sugar free, pig pampered, uncured bacon..seems like my smoothie is healthier on the hurried days. maybe I just need to change my mentality...Like you said...always learning. and trying to get better at planning.

Good for you starting your log. Yeah the smoothies aren't such a good choice. Have you considered a breakfast loaf? Lots of meat & veg and just held together with egg so not too eggy.

There are some nice recipes on foodee.

Keep going you'll get in your cooking groove!

Ok I doing a week at a time was alot so I am going to try to go daily...Ok I know it is wednesday...My epiphany came late, so today you get a double:-)

Monday-

B-Smoothie (I know don't drink your food but there are days it happens) Spinach, Blueberries, Coconut Milk, Vanilla - 4 slices of pampered pig bacon

L-Lovely salad with leftover filet mignon, avacado and delish strawberry balsamic dressing I made from one of the forums post. http://paleodietlife...ic-vinaigrette/

D-Craving Wings- so I grilled up some Jerk wings (minus the brown sugar of course in the seasoning) and some cabbage and bacon.

Snacked on some Cashews

I am still in the headach stage. All the bread and wine in my body must have turned into hard candy cause my hangover is lasting toooo long. But upon reading post I am confident it will get better and I will carry on!

Tuesday-Ok I have read the don't drink your food stuff and have some guilt going but I am short on time. NO EGGS PLease not today! So my next option is bacon so I microwave 4 slices of bacon, Grab some leftover wings and cocoa chili and out the door I go. My food for the morning and afternoon are not the best of choices and I need to get my head around this and get planning done! I felt so much more together last week...Ok tonight HELLO internet, we are gong to prepare some goodies.

B- 4 slices of your pampered pig variety of bacon

L-4 cold chicken wings at my desk :wacko: (Don't judge you know we have all been there) I didn't even have time to eat the cocoa chili (stopping by store on the way home!)

D-Started my creations here. Califlower mash with Ghee, Roasted Turkey Breast, Broccoli with coconut butter(Photo below)

Snacked on some cashews

Still had the headach but was on a roll to make the rest of the week yummy so I began a cookathon.

I made Strawberry Vinaigrette ( I was out)

Made my own breakfast sausage (pamperd pigs again and seasonings. pattied them up and put in freezer)

Made a gallon of Decaf & Green tea blend infused with vanilla and cinnamon

Took out 2 chicken breast and half a chicken on the bone, tossed into the crock pot with some natural broth and water and turned on the crock pot to cook overnight. This morning I woke to the wonderful smell of chicken:-) Put it in the frige and when I get home tonight I will debone and chop up the chicken and add some yummy spices and hatch chilis and fireroasted tomatoes in to make a chicken tortialess soup...topped off with of course-advacados!!

It should be a tasty evening:-)

TOMORROW I BEGIN DAY 10!!! WOOHOO 1/3RD OF THE WAY :D

post-4329-0-60407600-1346257514_thumb.jp

post-4329-0-53411100-1346257569_thumb.jp

Nice work!

I feel your pain, I'm not much of a breakfast/ morning person either. It has taken some work to eat good meals early. But you will get there, little by little. Don't be afraid of the unconventional meals in the am. No one says you need to eat eggs if you don't like them:) I'm a big fan of chunks of meat and raw veges. And I'm sure the breakfast sausages will work great for you.

Pampered pig. Lololol I love this.

I'm famous for telling my friends I only eat happy cows. My more earthy vegetarian friends are horrified :)

Nice work!

I feel your pain, I'm not much of a breakfast/ morning person either. It has taken some work to eat good meals early. But you will get there, little by little. Don't be afraid of the unconventional meals in the am. No one says you need to eat eggs if you don't like them:) I'm a big fan of chunks of meat and raw veges. And I'm sure the breakfast sausages will work great for you.

Pampered pig. Lololol I love this.

I'm famous for telling my friends I only eat happy cows. My more earthy vegetarian friends are horrified :)

LOL. Gotta love happy cows and pampered pigs in this forum. :)

As for not being a breakfast person, I never used to be either. But I am on Day 30 of my second Whole30 and I have upped the intensity of some of my workouts and I have begun to adapt to eating real meals instead of grazing all day. I must be going through some body composition changes because I have been frequently eating 4 eggs plus some veggies or fruit for my PreWorkout and Meal 1. And I have finally begun to feel more satisfied with three big meals and fewer snacks. I still snack more than I should, but it's less than a few months ago and I am moving in the right direction. For me that's the most important thing to remember in all of this. This is my journey to get as healthy and fit as I can possibly be - mind, body and soul. Some months might show more progress than others, but continue to get a little bit closer every month to my goal and that is enough for me... :)

Wednesday

B-Breakfast sausage I made is the BOMB!!! had 2 large patties and a banana

L-Supposed to lunch with client! They cancelled and I did not bring my lunch :unsure: what to do??? I had a few cashews in my desk. Yep that was lunch or snack I guess til I could get home around 3:30 ... I made it! Got home and heated up the cocoa chili I had! Yum

D- The best Chicken tortialess soup ever!!! I love to cook so I never follow recipes but I am going to try to replay this one!

Let me start with...I don't like dark meat on chicken, but I will use it is soups and such. I had a carcus that I had frozen with the dark meat still on it. Put it in the crock pot with 2 large containers of Chicken Natural Broth and 2 chicken breast...also of the Cheerful Chicken Coop Variety, the CCC for short. Let that cook overnight. Got up and put it all in the frig til I got home to assemble the magic.

Deboned and got all the dark meat off. Chopped and shredded it with the breast. I strained the broth into a large saucepan and added, shredded/chopped chicken

1 large onion chopped

2T Cumin

2T chili powder

2T garlic powder

1/4 cup dried cilantro (fresh would probably be better-didn't have any so used this and it was ok)

1 can organic fire roasted tomatoes

2 roasted Hatch chili peppers

1 t red pepper crushed

salt and pepper to taste

simmer on stove as a slow bolil for about 30 minutes

serve up and top with an avacado cubed!!! DELISH

Yesterday was a great day, even though my lunch got messed up surprisingly I wasn't starving so I made it by. Not the ideal circumstances, but before I would hav run out and picked up crap for lunch of eaten everything in the pantry when I got home!! Better choice made, and feeling better. No headache yesterday or today! The only thing I still really miss besides my wine :o is Stevia in my coffee. I just can't get used to the coconut milk and coffee. I drink it, but boy do I miss my sweet cream and stevia :(

1/3 rd of the way!!! WOO HOO

" Continuous hard work, self-confidence, and not worrying about what others are doing will take you to a real success."

post-4329-0-15902700-1346343570_thumb.jp

I have to admit, I LOL'd at the pampered pigs, happy cows and CCC's - my co-workers were looking at my funny.

I had to chime in and say I'm on the same page as you with eating vegetables in the morning. I have no problem eating some fruit, but the idea of vegetables before 11am just confounds me. The solutions I've come up with involve making breafast-like meals that have some amount of veggies in them. My two favorites right now are sweet potato hash with peppers, onions and whatever else I throw in the pan or making sausage and peppers with the same concept. I found that either of them it's breakfast-y enough for me to get around my mental hang-up about there being breakfast and lunch/dinner foods.

I have been thinking I need to make a frittata this week. I'm hoping to find something interesting at one of the farmers markets this weekend and be inspired to create some kind of funky combination.

let me know how it is...i love frittata's and i can put veggies in there and make them with just egg whites...not a fan of the yellow...I know I am weird but i just don't like it! LOL

I also think I am going to make one of those casseroles with shredded sweet potatoes sausage spinach and egg...something like that. something i can wrap and go on work days.

Maybe you should start a recipe blog for all your lovely-sounding recipes? I know I'd have it saved as a favourite!

I don't get you not liking egg yolks - they're definitely the best part! Oh well, each to their own I suppose.

Can't wait to hear how your breakfast hash and casseroles go.

Woke up feeling rather good this morning. Energized and no headache...that is great since I have had a lot lately with this plan. I think I will get up and make me breakfast. I will even scramble a couple of eggs! Boy I was feeling strong???Eggs??me?? well....intentions were good anyway. Really guys I am trying to eat the raw little chickies provided by the CCC's (Cheerful Chicken Coop)

B-Scrambled eggs with Ghee served with 2 sliced strawberries (GAG GAG GAG...barely could get the 2 eggs down, tried to add some hot sauce, still fail, but on a side note...the dog had a wonderful breakfast!) I think I was able to eat about 1 egg worth so I was satisfied.

L-Much better than Breakfast! Had some leftover Chicken Taco Soup topped with 1/2 chopped avacado. Even better the next day.

Snack - Leftover Chicken wings 4

D-DELISH!!! Here is what I did: I took some strip steak and cut it into cubes. Then in a separate dish I put almond flour, garlic powder and Mrs Dash seasoning. Heated up some coconut oil and olive oil in my iron skillet. Threw the meat cubes in the almond mix, tossed it around a bit to coat then fried it in the oil. I had to spoon out almond flour that came off about halfway through. (maybe I can do an eggwash before the flour next time) Eggs are usefull for some things in my life:-) But regardless... it was delish. As the cubes cooked I set them on a paper towel and then put them in the oven on low heat. I scooped out most of the leftover almond flour in the pan. Then with some drippings still in the pan, I tossed in 1 chopped onion and 5 sliced mushrooms. Cooked them down and served them over the cubed steak. It was really tasty! I served it with some steak cut sweet potato fries I baked and some haircot verts cooked in ghee and seasoned with Mrs dash garlic onion mixture. It was a big hit with my boys:-) They went back for seconds!

I am feeling much better about the plan and getting creative on my cooking. Still can't get the egg thing. I usually love eggs for breakfast but I always had them with cheese, which makes them creamy and more palatable for me...but dairy is not in this 30day plan. Or I would throw them in an english muffin, but no grain, so needless to say, I am having a hard time with the eggs. This weekend I am going to experiment with some casseroles and a fritatta or two with some spinach:-)

"The past is finished. There is nothing to be gained by going over it. Whatever it gave us in the experiences it brought us was somehting we had to know. Rebecca Beard

I need to know the past is the past and today is the first day of the rest of my life! Onward I go:-)

post-4329-0-09126500-1346427050_thumb.jp

post-4329-0-99148800-1346427081_thumb.jp

great ideas! I like the hash...I think I shall experiment this weekend!

Try, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup sweet potato both grated, grate in a little onion and fry in coconut oil, top with eggs, put a lid on to steam eggs to perfection. When you cut open the yolk it makes a delicious "Sauce" that goes wonderfully with the veggies. Eating veggies in the morning seems so abnormal to me too, but I've been hooked for a while.

The other things that's really good is to throw broccoli slaw mix in the pan with some cooking fat of your (legal) choosing, brown, and serve with sausages and eggs or skip the eggs....oh or shaved steak goes well with it too. it's just delicious.

Also can make little patties out of shredded zucchini, summer squash or even spagetti squash and an egg and seasonings...pretty tasty. If you make them really big you can use them as "wraps" for salads etc.

Good luck!

Marie

Try, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup sweet potato both grated, grate in a little onion and fry in coconut oil, top with eggs, put a lid on to steam eggs to perfection. When you cut open the yolk it makes a delicious "Sauce" that goes wonderfully with the veggies. Eating veggies in the morning seems so abnormal to me too, but I've been hooked for a while.

The other things that's really good is to throw broccoli slaw mix in the pan with some cooking fat of your (legal) choosing, brown, and serve with sausages and eggs or skip the eggs....oh or shaved steak goes well with it too. it's just delicious.

Also can make little patties out of shredded zucchini, summer squash or even spagetti squash and an egg and seasonings...pretty tasty. If you make them really big you can use them as "wraps" for salads etc.

Good luck!

Marie

Thanks Marie, I love :wub: your last idea and am so going to try this, but...the 1st one made me gag a bit LOL You would have to read some of my post above...I am not a fan of eggs and I do not care for the yellow :blink: . In your description "Cut open the yolk to make a sauce" Oh my it was a horror story going off in my head! Is there a bathroom close by...will I make it... :o LOL I know I am a freak, but I just have a hard time with eggs that don'e have cheese on them or in between an english muffin...since those are out, I am struggling! But I love the last idea so much my mouth is watering! Sounds delish, they may be turned into a side dish with dinner tonight!

Your dinner sounded AMAZING! I may have to show my husband that recipe so we can try it this next week. :)

You know you don't HAVE to eat eggs - I think a lot of people default to it because it's an easy thing to eat in the morning. If you want to keep trying, to find a way that you like them, have you tried hard boiled? With those it's easier to discard the yolk and if you make it into an egg salad you may not even mind the yolk since it'd add to the creaminess of it (with homemade mayo of course). Also, have you heard about Pure Wraps? They're W30 approved and you could use them to make a breakfast burrito. Make up an egg mixture of your choice, layer it on with some avocado and maybe a slice or two of crispy bacon and it MIGHT work? That actually sounds really good - may have to make some myself.

On the other hand, if you find it more appetizing to have a hash minus the eggs but with another meat choice, go for it. The big concern is making sure you're getting that protein and good fat in, which you can get from a lot of other sources.

Your dinner sounded AMAZING! I may have to show my husband that recipe so we can try it this next week. :)

You know you don't HAVE to eat eggs - I think a lot of people default to it because it's an easy thing to eat in the morning. If you want to keep trying, to find a way that you like them, have you tried hard boiled? With those it's easier to discard the yolk and if you make it into an egg salad you may not even mind the yolk since it'd add to the creaminess of it (with homemade mayo of course). Also, have you heard about Pure Wraps? They're W30 approved and you could use them to make a breakfast burrito. Make up an egg mixture of your choice, layer it on with some avocado and maybe a slice or two of crispy bacon and it MIGHT work? That actually sounds really good - may have to make some myself.

On the other hand, if you find it more appetizing to have a hash minus the eggs but with another meat choice, go for it. The big concern is making sure you're getting that protein and good fat in, which you can get from a lot of other sources.

I need to look for those wraps. I could brobably do that. And you are so funny...I DO throw the yellow away and put the white in salads! LOL sometimes the dog gets the yellow and she loves it:-)

Hi MaryAnn! Reading through your log, & I applaud you for logging! I think you're doing great! Keep it up.

I think we started the same day, but I had to 'restart' on 8/27. Thinking I might log a summary of my past week tomorrow.

Good luck!

Marie

I made these but added my egg beaten well to the mix and made like pancakes!! OMG DELISH!!! THANKS!

Hi MaryAnn! Reading through your log, & I applaud you for logging! I think you're doing great! Keep it up.

I think we started the same day, but I had to 'restart' on 8/27. Thinking I might log a summary of my past week tomorrow.

thanks

logging helps me be accountable and i great such motivatin and ideas from the forum! wonderful!!!

Archived