Starting Sept. 1 Whole 30 -- buddies?

maggief

Hello all. Loved reading all of your posts. I was going to start Sept 4th, but because of cancelled plans, I am going for it tomorrow which is really what I wanted to do...OCD of me, I know, but I just really wanted 9/1 and not 9/4 of my start date. This will be Whole30 number 2 for me. I did my first one 13 months ago on August 1 of 2011 after losing 84 lbs on an unspeakable diet plan. I would say I am 90% Whole30 always, but just feel the need to be 100% for 30-60 days. I find it a really easy meal philosophy to follow..I don't miss dairy, grains or sugar. I am looking forward to "re-setting" myself to totally compliant Whole30 and getting to know all of you!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All!

I am new to this entire idea; but I have being falling in and out of eating and exercising habits for the last year. I just turned 30 and I'm really trying to turn my life around, emotionally and physically. I quit smoking 4 months ago and it has already gave me a great amount of confidence. I know I can do what I set my mind to as long as I have the support that I need. I am very excited to start Whole30 and will be starting on Monday the 3rd. Can't wait to keep in touch and hear about everybody's experience!

Hi, I'm from Tasmania in Australia - so we are a little ahead in time, so I'm just coming to the end of my Day 1!

I am a Crossfitter, and our coaches put out a Whole30 Challenge for September. I'm all in. Not much experience in the Paleo area, but keen to kick start a healthier way of life.

Looking forward to hearing how we all go!! Together we can do it :-) Awesome to know there are plenty of other people around the world getting into this too!!

Cheers, Holly

Hi all, I am starting today again. I started Aug 1 but the timing was very bad & Sept is going to be it for me.

I am a 46 yr old Mum of 4 from Perth in Australia but I live in West Cork in Ireland. Have been eating paleo-ish for a few months & know it is the way I need to eat.

Started this morning with some left over stir fried beef & green vegies after a quick run to the beach. I normally have eggs & spinach for breakfast, planning on fish & salad for lunch & meat/veg for dinner. Always need an afternoon snack, will have some berries & handful of raw nuts.

I am looking forward to finally getting over my chocolate cravings & feeling great. I stopped drinking alcohol 4 months ago & feel so much better for it. If I can live without red wine then I can do anything!

Good luck everyone-we are going to rock September.

Hi, I just started today, day one on Sept.1. I have been gluten/sugar free since May. I have started to cheat a bit though. I also have been eating lots of dairy. So it's time to up my game here. I am trying to lose weight and have been successful in losing about 15 lbs/ 2 sizes). I'm happy about that but it is time to up my game as I am still obese. I am also starting an exercise program, okay, to actually exercise with this dietary project and plan to keep the paleo diet to low carb to encourage weight loss. I am 47, am an RN, work on a cardiac/tele floor at a city hospital (for those in NY, not "the" city, but an upstate city). I haven't had breakfast yet but plan to eat some eggs w/some veggies (oh, I will have remember not to add cheese!). Other health problems I am hoping to clear up a bit: my allergies!, my skin--I have the complexion of a 14 year old boy--acne! The digestive problems I have had most of my life went away with cutting out the gluten/wheat and some chronic lower back and inflammatory foot issues associated with working on hard concrete floors for long hours without break. So the big changes for me will be 1. No Dairy; 2. Exercise; 3. Going to bed earlier.

Hi I am Gregory, and I am staring my second Whole30 in September! I have been slacking lately and let dairy and grains into my life. My health has suffered as a consequence. I have a bloating feeling and my knee joints have returned to hurting again. I am looking forward to getting my energy back and restoring my health. I am glad to see I will not be alone on my journey this time. Thanks.

Hi, I'm Kate and I am restarting today, Sept 1. I started Aug 1, but slipped up and restarted so many times, I've lost count. I've been Paleo for a while now and have plateaued about 20 lbs from my goal. My weakness is wine. I don't eat sugar anymore and I have cut out all Paleo snacks, but I guess my sugar craving has refocused itself on wine. But I'm ready to go Whole hog this month...ignore the pun. Good to find others ready to do the same!

Starting too!! I've been eating paleo for about 3 months now. I've ran into some problems wih increased fat intake. Weight increased. I'm addicted to crystal light and splenda. Sugar free gum too.. I'm a natural bodybuilder finding it difficult to eat paleo 3 meals only a day. The biggest hurdle for me will be the artificial sweetner. Wondering who follows crossfit? I've. Even following the everyday paleo workouts which are good but I'm not sure if enough.

Hi all. I'd been contemplating a Whole30 for a couple of months, and after two evenings in a row of way too much chocolate and marzipan, I got fed up (pun intended) and simply started the next morning. I'm now on day 4. So far, I don't particularly miss sweets, dairy etc., but I do feel hungry a lot. I may have to up my food intake and - this is a tough one - reduce the amount of fruit I eat. To be honest, I'm simultaneously skeptical and hopeful about this way of eating. I'll know more in 26 days. I'm looking forward to exchanging experiences with everyone along the way.

Hi, I'm a newbie (just joined this morning). I borrowed ISWF from the library and decided to do it starting today, September 1st. I actually visited a health food store today (got some Artisana coconut butter, macadamia butter, coconut oil, and some other things). I am hoping to improve my acne (I have comedones under my lip!) and have more energy amongst other things. Nice to meet you all and good luck. :)

Just checking on Day 1 - so far so good! Did some shopping to stock up on "good" foods and stayed away from the "junk" food purchases (hubby would have liked the ice cream & chips but I don't need the temptation!) Making some kale chips (to satisfy my craving for that salty/crunchy taste) and will start to pack food portions for my work lunches. I know from past experience that if I'm not prepared I'm setting myself up for failure.

Making some kale chips (to satisfy my craving for that salty/crunchy taste)

I made kale chips too!

So far breakfast was kale, spinach, 1/2 avocado and 3 eggs. Lunch: can of salmon, 1/2 avocado, some salad, and some blueberries and raspberries.. Supper will be some beef, sweet potatoes, grilled cauliflower and some more salad.

So far I feel super full. Wondering if I'm eating too much.

What's very different for me is eating veggies at breakfast.

Gabbyw, thank you for sharing your menus for today. It helps me figure out what I might put together for meals. I'm not sure I'm eating enough as I've had some hunger pangs today. Just drank some water and tried to stay busy! Definitely feeling tired - no sugar or usual caffeine intake today! Day almost done - and it was good.

I have had a fantastic first two meals so far. Second meal was late...got caught running too many errands. I really need to watch that. I was hungry enough to eat a horse when I got home. I had a grass fed ground beef patty that I made a while back with on sale beef. I had put chipotle chili's and cilantro in them, formed them and froze them. I have a NuWave oven, so I can cook things right out of the freezer. Such a great convenience. Then for second meal, I had a fabulous little grass fed beef sirloin steak and a big pile of spinach cooked in ghee. Just sea salt and pepper on both. I think for third meal, I am having ground beef cooked with mushrooms and onions with Rao's Marinara sauce mixed in over spaghetti squash which I have cooking in my slow cooker right now. Oh how I love Whole30. :)

Hey Maggie and everyone else! I've started my W30 today and it's been a good one. I have been checking out paleo over the past few weeks and when I found this site a couple days ago, the timing was perfect. Definitely feeling frexcited about this month, but happy to have this forum to stay in contact with other people going after it.

Mayo failure...ugh! Just made may with two eggs and two cups of oil (light olive oil) and it turned out so thin. I feel like I dribbled it in slow enough. I googled "thin mayo" and there are some tricks to thicken it up. Adding two tsp of almost boiling water which cooks it a tiny bit. If that doesn't work, take an egg yolk and whisk and then dribble the mayo into it. Any of you try this? I guess I should have posted this in Cooking thread, but just clicked on you guys. :)

ETA: I fixed it!!! Took two egg yolks (one may have been enough) and put it in the blended and pulsed it. Then took the broken mayo and dribbled it in. It is thick and smooth and fabulous. I could eat it with a spoon.

I love all these posts! It's awesome to hear about everyone's goals, and reading what you've been eating is totally inspiring me for future meals.

Not sure if anyone else is doing this, but I'll be logging my daily meals, moods, progress, obstacles, etc. over here in case anyone wants to follow along: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2716-maggies-whole30/

Congrats on getting through Day 1 and best of luck tomorrow!

Mayo failure...ugh! Just made may with two eggs and two cups of oil (light olive oil) and it turned out so thin. I feel like I dribbled it in slow enough. I googled "thin mayo" and there are some tricks to thicken it up. Adding two tsp of almost boiling water which cooks it a tiny bit. If that doesn't work, take an egg yolk and whisk and then dribble the mayo into it. Any of you try this? I guess I should have posted this in Cooking thread, but just clicked on you guys. :)

Hi slw600! Sorry to hear about the mayo fail but hopefully you've been able to salvage it! I've heard that if you chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours, then take whip it again when it's really cold, it might thicken up and develop a bit more body. I've never tried tho so I can't speak from experience, I'm sorry. I made a batch yesterday using an adapted version from theclothesmakethegirl. In addn to the egg and olive oil, it includes a couple tbsp of lemon juice (I used apple cider vinegar) that is supposed to sit with the egg for like an hour. Maybe that's what makes the difference? It was my first time trying it and it turned out great. Def google those instructions if you decide to have another go at it!

Hi slw600! Sorry to hear about the mayo fail but hopefully you've been able to salvage it! I've heard that if you chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours, then take whip it again when it's really cold, it might thicken up and develop a bit more body. I've never tried tho so I can't speak from experience, I'm sorry. I made a batch yesterday using an adapted version from theclothesmakethegirl. In addn to the egg and olive oil, it includes a couple tbsp of lemon juice (I used apple cider vinegar) that is supposed to sit with the egg for like an hour. Maybe that's what makes the difference? It was my first time trying it and it turned out great. Def google those instructions if you decide to have another go at it!

I added lemon juice as well, but didn't let it sit with the eggs. That makes sense...it would cook (aka thicken) the eggs a bit. I will do that next time. I also made way too much. No need to make more than one cup. Who knows what I'll do with two..although, now that it's fixed, I could eat it with a spoon.

I started today too! Tomorrow I've set some time aside for myself to sit down with the book and try to learn even more so that I'm more comfortable with the plan. I've got a good bit of stress right now (working multiple part time jobs and just found out that I have to move before the end of this month), so it's all about making this as easy as possible.

A little bit about myself... I'm 23, with the health of an 80+ year old. Fibromyalgia and hypothyroidism have taken their toll this last year; I was vegan last fall and at my skinniest, then a bad fibro flare-up helped me gain 45 lbs in about 2 months. Needless to say it's been a rough year. I decided to add fish back in to my diet about 2-3 months back, and then 2 weeks ago decided that it was time to make the transition back to full fledged meat eater. Veg habits seemed to be hurting my skin and definitely not helping with my joints. I've known about paleo for a while now, and hopefully doing these 30 days will help me find something that works and that I can stick with.

Archived