Starting Sept. 1 Whole 30 -- buddies?

maggief

Maggie - my clothes aren't feeling tight, but they aren't really feeling loose either. No change yet that I've noticed. I guess the fluctuations of these first 10+ days are normal...probably why they tell us not to weigh!? ;-)

Day 9 was a struggle for me - grumpy, super irritable, edgy. Feeling better today, thankfully. Day 10 was successful...still have dinner to go, but there's chicken and veggies already prepped for tonight, so should be easy.

Where is everyone?? What happened to that big group of Sept 1 starters???

Hope they are reading/not posting as opposed to fallen by the wayside. :(

OK...of to get in some dinner and menu plan for the rest of the week......

Thanks for the encouragement Jaylee! I steered clear of the scale even though I was super tempted to "check in." I am feeling a bit better this morning and hopefully I'm back on an upswing :)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that one of the possible effects of doing the W30 is clothes fitting more loosely -- but has anyone else found that their clothes are getting tighter? I had a really tought time finding something that barely fits this morning, but I'm incredibly uncomfortable. I'm hoping that my body is going through some kind of adjustment period but I'm scared about what this means... Anyone else experiencing this??

Hi! I'm on day 16 and have been posting in the Logs forum.

I've noticed the same thing with clothes - some days I feel like I've lost a lot of weight and other days I feel the same. Others have told me I look "leaner," so I'll go with the public opinion! I think that some of the daily fluctuations are just part of the normal joys of lacking a Y chromosome. Hormones (and attendant water retention) fluctuate on a daily basis even when you're eating clean, so I'm hoping that's the cause of what I (and others) have been experiencing.

Congrats on making it this far!

Hi! I'm on day 16 and have been posting in the Logs forum.

I've noticed the same thing with clothes - some days I feel like I've lost a lot of weight and other days I feel the same. Others have told me I look "leaner," so I'll go with the public opinion! I think that some of the daily fluctuations are just part of the normal joys of lacking a Y chromosome. Hormones (and attendant water retention) fluctuate on a daily basis even when you're eating clean, so I'm hoping that's the cause of what I (and others) have been experiencing.

Congrats on making it this far!

Ah, hormones. Fun fun stuff lol. That probably does explain it, as I'm feeling much better as the week goes on. Glad to hear I'm not the only one going through some weirdness...

Congrats on your progress, too! So exciting that you're past the halfway point! I'm definitely going to check out your log, I love reading the experiences of people a few days or weeks ahead of me in this journey. Keep it up!

Speaking of weirdness, the other day I woke up with a killer neck ache. Right at the base of my neck, I could barely bend my neck. Then I remembered my mom, who is a week ahead of me, experienced the exact same thing around her Day 12. Too weird. I have no idea why we would both have neck pain but I feel fine today.

I am still waiting for the increased energy that people speak of. Energy, where are you?

I am also over the initial excitement of this plan. I've been trying to eat leftovers, I don't think I'm good at planning, I have way too many leftovers that are starting to bore me. I will research new recipes to help me out of the rut I'm in but I need to get rid of the leftovers first. I've discovered I really don't like the taste of reheated meat. Also have been having the weird odd craving here and there but I survived my monthly dessert party without eating any dessert or sugary treats. Wasn't even tempted. That's huge for me.

Anybody else feeling the irony of wanting to "celebrate" the two week mark by........having something they aren't supposed to??!!

I had to drive by a Sonic at least 6 times today...seriously, I would have hurt someone for a Diet Coke. But no one was injured in spite of their perfect ice. :)

And Svetlana, I'm with you on the recipes and keeping it interesting...in fact, right now there is a breakfast casserole cooling in the kitchen, getting ready to be put away for the week's breakfast, and chicken roasting in the oven to help out this week as well. (Using a menu plan from "Practical Paleo" this week.) Tomorrow I'm going to give the whole sauerkraut thing a go and also make a new batch of mayo and some bone broth. Hoping those things will help through out the coming week.

I'm trying to be ready for a challenging week...we have something going on 4 out of the 5 weeknights coming up. Those are the hardest for me....racing home with starving kiddos, hungry myself, limited time until we have to be somewhere else. If there aren't nearly-instant things ready at home, it will be too easy to fail.

Here's to TWO WEEKS!! And to hoping that preparation helps...

How's everyone else at the end of 14 days?

We are officially MORE than two weeks in, you all! Cheers everyone (raising an imaginary glass of champagne but a very real glass of sparkling water lol) for making it this far. It sounds like the victories so far have outweighed the struggles and hopefully even tho the W30 is more than half done, this is just the beginning of regaining control over our health, happiness and well being. Here's to another 14 (or more) days, and a lifetime of success!

Also, I saw this great quote on someone else's log (I think Kaye is the originator?): “Don't get so focused on the 'results you're hoping for' that you overlook the good things that are happening RIGHT NOW. So yeah, you had a bad day - I'd be unhappy tooâ€

I really need to remember this advice when things get tough. So so true -- on the W30 and in other aspects of life. Mental note made!

Anyone else having a hard time lately. I thought it would be getting easier but I am feeling a little frustrated and grumpy. I have started having cravings again. I think I need to start exercising again (was recovering from an injury) but I am so tired that I can't get motivated to start. I am still going forward but really wish i was feeling better. Hope everyone else is still going strong.

Woo Hoo!!!!! Yay for two weeks!!! Congrats everyone! I'm Lorraine I've been posting in the whole30 log area. I have had amazing results. I started while knee deep in fighting pneumonia, and I can't even begin to tell you (I take that back, I did tell all in my daily log). Anyway, hello to all, I too started beginning of sept. over labor day weekend. We are half way there!!!!! But I feel like I will be continuing on after this first whole30. Keep up the good work everyone!!!!

Lo-

Hi all, I started on 9/4, so I've completed 14 days now.

@Jesriel, I'm curious how the ban on eggs, nightshades and nuts is working for you. What were your symptoms if I may ask? Was joint pain one of them? I've not eliminated those yet, but since going very easy on the nuts I've managed to get rid of persistent outbreaks on my face since January! -d

Anyone else having a hard time lately. I thought it would be getting easier but I am feeling a little frustrated and grumpy. I have started having cravings again. I think I need to start exercising again (was recovering from an injury) but I am so tired that I can't get motivated to start. I am still going forward but really wish i was feeling better. Hope everyone else is still going strong.

Hi Svetlana! I'm so sorry to hear you're not experiencing that famous W30 "high" -- but rest assured you're not the only one struggling. What kinds of cravings are you having? Are you keeping a food log in the forum or on your own? I wonder if the fatigue and cravings and mood issues are a result of not eating enough. If you'd like to share your meals for a given day, I'm sure fellow W30-ers and moderators could chime in with suggestions. Also, how are you sleeping and what are your stress levels like? All of that can be contributing to the lackluster mood and energy. Don't worry about exercising until you can get your food, sleep and stress levels under control. No need to make this any harder! Anyway, please don't give up! Hopefully we can help you figure this out.

Maggie, thanks for the response. I think I was feeling cranky due to that time of the month which totally snuck up on me. No cramps and I did not feel like I wanted to kill everyone around me, that is total progress for me! You're right, I don't think I was eating enough due to some all day events where I couldn't bring in my own food. I've been logging on my own and really think I need to plan better meals. It was easier in the beginning because I was excited, now not so much. I am sleeping more soundly during the night but I still (and have always) have a hard time getting up in the morning. Overall I am happy with the positives I am experiencing, hopefully the energy will come. I will not give up and look forward to reading here and seeing how everyone else is doing.

Wow, I didn't realize you would all be posting in here so often. I'm on day 23 today. I accidentally drank a few sips of Gatorade on Sep. 1st and set myself back. I've lost some weight (clothes are loose) but I'm not sure if I'm much different mentally. I was already eating very close to Whole30 before I started so I don't know if that's it, or if perhaps there will be a miracle in my last week.

Looking forward to day 30!

Only 5 more days...sometimes it feels like this has gone by really fast.

I had a weird day yesterday - headache off and on - felt kind of sluggish - seems to have gone away this morning. Just felt out of place since the last couple of weeks have been pretty great.

Anyone have plans to keep going after 30?

I have a conference out of town starting on the 3rd - so I'm going to take a little break - but I plan to start again when I get home. Hubby is even going to join me this time - yay!!

I'm definitely considering extending my W30 past 30 days. I don't particularly want any non-compliant foods, but I'm conflicted about whether I should try reintroducing some foods or making adjustments. And I don't know if I should set a specific length of time - such as decide in advance if I want to do 45 days, or 60, or something else -- or just ride it out and see how long I can go. I looked at my calendar and I don't have anything coming up where I might be tempted with a cheat/treat until Thanksgiving... I figure I have a few more days to decide. Anyone have thoughts on how to proceed?

Glad to hear you're feeling better Jaylee! And congrats on getting your husband to join you in the next round :)

Only 5 more days...sometimes it feels like this has gone by really fast.

I had a weird day yesterday - headache off and on - felt kind of sluggish - seems to have gone away this morning. Just felt out of place since the last couple of weeks have been pretty great.

Anyone have plans to keep going after 30?

I have a conference out of town starting on the 3rd - so I'm going to take a little break - but I plan to start again when I get home. Hubby is even going to join me this time - yay!!

I have very mixed feelings about this program. Not sure how to proceed tomorrow.

Positives:

1. My relationship with food is better. i still have cravings but they pass. Before my cravings were overwhelming and all I could think about was the food I wanted until I finally caved and ate it. I can be around my trigger foods and not eat them.

2. No PMS symptoms this month - usually have bad cramps and mood swings.

3. Never "hangry" anymore. Used to be hungry within hours of eating and cranky if I couldn't eat. Actually never really feel hungry, eat at scheduled meal times.

4. Slight improvement in joint pain and headaches.

5. Very slight improvement in sleep.

Negatives:

1. No energy. None. The biggest reason I started this program and it never happened for me. I wish I knew what was wrong with me, even my doctor can not figure it out, just prescribed some vitamins.

2. Don't enjoy my food anymore. I am never really hungry and just eat because I know I should. I have tried new recipes (even the ones everyone here raves about and I don't really like them. I am just not a meat and veggie girl, especially for breakfast.

3. My hair is still thin and my fingernails are breaking worse than ever.

I cheated and weighed myself so I know I lost weight but my clothes don't seem to fit any better. I'm afraid of gaining it all back so I think I will extend and see how things go. My first off limit food will be in 5 days when I have wine with dinner. I really miss my wine. I hope everyone had good results and am also curious what others plan to do on Day 31.

Glad everyone is checking in on day 30. :)

This is my second W30, so no surprises. It went even smoother than the last one. I rarely go off roading in between. I choose carefully and mindfully. I will go off roading for: dinner at a friends or out, but that doesn't mean bread or dessert unless it's amazing and worth it. If out, I pretty much stick with protein and veggies, but I relax about whether they cook with butter or if there's canola on my veggies. I just go with the flow. I have lost a significant amount of inches which surprised me. I went to the gym today and my old trainer wanted to measure me because he said I looked lean. I was not trying to lose weight..in fact, I didn't want to. I already did that. I lost 84 lbs in 2010 and have maintained.

Probably my biggest off road will be at Christmas. My daughter and I will be going to my mom's house in San Diego for Christmas as we do every year and Christmas dinner is amazing, so I will have a little yorkshire pudding and I'm sure a piece of my mom's pie. I am going to do another Whole 30 Jan 1 just to reset. I think I like doing that twice a year or more if I find it necessary.

Love how I'm feeling. I'm sleeping better, my moods are more stable, my skin looks glowing (according to my 27 yo daughter) and clothes just feel comfortably loose.

Okay, I learned a valuable lesson today. Actually, I've known this for over a year, but for some reason, on the 30th day of my Whole 30, I decided to forget. I usually have a fairly big breakfast. 3 baked or HB eggs, huge pile of spinach sauteed in ghee with mushrooms or spaghetti squash mixed in and at least half an avocado. Well, today, for some reason, I thought 2 stuffed zuc halves was an adequate breakfast. I was working from home catching up on stuff for next week and paying more attention to that than myself. OMG...I have been off all day. I couldn't wait for lunch time, so I had a small egg salad and a spinach salad. Then at lunch, I wasn't very hungry, so I just ate a little tuna. Two hours later I was hungry again. Ack!!! I have not been a snacker and I feel like I have been snacking ALL day!! I do SO much better with 3 adequately big meals a day. Lesson learned. I absolutely do not like snacking. Even my mood is off. I just feel all out of sorts. Amazing. I am NOT meant to be a grazer.

Hi everyone! I had mixed results on the W30, but I met every goal I set for myself so I'm feeling proud. Yes, some things are still a work in progress (sleep, skin, pullups) and there were some unforeseen negatives (non-muscle weight gain, increased stress at work, etc.). Still, I nourished my body and made myself a priority this month, and I'm feeling good overall. The details of my progress, setbacks, body comp, and plan for extending this W30 are over in my daily log if anyone is interested, so I won't re-post it here.

Hope everyone finds continued health and success, whatever your choices may be moving forward!

Day 31....

I really thought that by this time of the morning I would have already had a Diet Coke as it was one of the few things that I continued to wish for/think about throughout the last 30 days. And yet, here I sit with a big glass of water.

I'm feeling very grateful to have found Whole9 and W30. There's not enough room in the forums for me to list all of the things I've done, tried, doctors I've seen, money I've spent, books I've read over the past 8 years to figure out what's wrong with my metabolism-thyroid-adrenal-hormones or how to fix them. So I won't even attempt to list them...just trust me when I say: It's A LOT.

But I'm feeling grateful that something, finally something, has clicked for my body and it is definitely coming back into balance.

My end-of-W30 report includes:

-
near-cessation of cravings
which has increased my own awareness about my power over food (vs. food's "power")

-
much sounder sleep
(I'm still not getting enough, but that's my fault not a result of my body not being able to fall/stay asleep as in the past)

-
heightened energy level
. In fact, on several days I had to stop myself and really think about whether or not I had accidentally consumed an entire pot of coffee or some other source of abundant energy! This is one of my favorite results. I have a private practice, run a non-profit, am starting a business w/ my husband and have two very, very active boys...I was in desperate need of more energy!

- radical
balancing of hormones
which meant huge changes in my cycle this month. (I'll leave the details for the Ladies Only thread....but suffice it to say that after years of terrible PMS and other issues, this month...nada.
:)
)

-
alleviation of joint pain
in my hand. This had just started earlier this year...a couple of joints on my right hand were aching all the time. I have been worried about arthritis since I noticed that I've changed the way I pick things up and hold things to avoid the pain...it's not completely gone yet, but has lessened considerably.

-
clearer, more positive thinking.
No foggy-head and no afternoon crash/distraction which has resulted in much
more even moods
and a significant increase in a grateful/whole-hearted outlook. I have a history of anxiety/depression (and I'm a therapist) so I pay fairly close attention to my own "signals" about when depression/anxiety might be looming...and they are nowhere to be seen at the moment.

-
thicker hair, stronger nails
. Not something I was looking for necessarily, but I've noticed it.

- healthy
psychological shift
in the way I think about food. It's now much easier for me to think about it as precious fuel that should be intentional, nutrient-dense and delicious...savored and respected. As opposed to just convenient, quick, good-enough, thoughtless, this-will-get-me-by stuff that I can eat because it's here and I'm hungry. Big difference. I was worried that the feeling of deprivation would be an obstacle to me psychologically....but I'm happy to feel more empowered and self-respectful than deprived. (Now, I still struggle with myself over meal-planning and organization/procrastination, but my mindset is no longer at the heart of the problem!)

- and also, as of this morning, the scale reports
19 pounds
are gone. Nineteen. Crazy, huh?

A huge thank you to all who posted here and shared their experience!!

It was such an important part of my process to have you all, these forums, as a way to stay accountable and committed.

Thanks!!

Now on to Day 31...32, 33...and so on. :)

Jaylee, this is amazing! Congrats on all your successes! :D

Day 31....

I really thought that by this time of the morning I would have already had a Diet Coke as it was one of the few things that I continued to wish for/think about throughout the last 30 days. And yet, here I sit with a big glass of water.

I'm feeling very grateful to have found Whole9 and W30. There's not enough room in the forums for me to list all of the things I've done, tried, doctors I've seen, money I've spent, books I've read over the past 8 years to figure out what's wrong with my metabolism-thyroid-adrenal-hormones or how to fix them. So I won't even attempt to list them...just trust me when I say: It's A LOT.

But I'm feeling grateful that something, finally something, has clicked for my body and it is definitely coming back into balance.

My end-of-W30 report includes:

-
near-cessation of cravings
which has increased my own awareness about my power over food (vs. food's "power")

-
much sounder sleep
(I'm still not getting enough, but that's my fault not a result of my body not being able to fall/stay asleep as in the past)

-
heightened energy level
. In fact, on several days I had to stop myself and really think about whether or not I had accidentally consumed an entire pot of coffee or some other source of abundant energy! This is one of my favorite results. I have a private practice, run a non-profit, am starting a business w/ my husband and have two very, very active boys...I was in desperate need of more energy!

- radical
balancing of hormones
which meant huge changes in my cycle this month. (I'll leave the details for the Ladies Only thread....but suffice it to say that after years of terrible PMS and other issues, this month...nada.
:)
)

-
alleviation of joint pain
in my hand. This had just started earlier this year...a couple of joints on my right hand were aching all the time. I have been worried about arthritis since I noticed that I've changed the way I pick things up and hold things to avoid the pain...it's not completely gone yet, but has lessened considerably.

-
clearer, more positive thinking.
No foggy-head and no afternoon crash/distraction which has resulted in much
more even moods
and a significant increase in a grateful/whole-hearted outlook. I have a history of anxiety/depression (and I'm a therapist) so I pay fairly close attention to my own "signals" about when depression/anxiety might be looming...and they are nowhere to be seen at the moment.

-
thicker hair, stronger nails
. Not something I was looking for necessarily, but I've noticed it.

- healthy
psychological shift
in the way I think about food. It's now much easier for me to think about it as precious fuel that should be intentional, nutrient-dense and delicious...savored and respected. As opposed to just convenient, quick, good-enough, thoughtless, this-will-get-me-by stuff that I can eat because it's here and I'm hungry. Big difference. I was worried that the feeling of deprivation would be an obstacle to me psychologically....but I'm happy to feel more empowered and self-respectful than deprived. (Now, I still struggle with myself over meal-planning and organization/procrastination, but my mindset is no longer at the heart of the problem!)

- and also, as of this morning, the scale reports
19 pounds
are gone. Nineteen. Crazy, huh?

A huge thank you to all who posted here and shared their experience!!

It was such an important part of my process to have you all, these forums, as a way to stay accountable and committed.

Thanks!!

Now on to Day 31...32, 33...and so on. :)

Archived