Week one weight GAIN?!

amww

Gaining weight on Whole30 - I'm in week one of my first Whole30 and I seem to be gaining weight (I know you're not supposed to weigh yourself but I wanted to confirm my suspicions). My husband, on the other hand, is melting away - he's lost 9 lbs since we started easing into the W30 a few weeks ago (we officially started last week). We've been trying to follow the rules and I've been eating a lot but mostly veggies and protein. We eat some fruit and nuts but not a lot in comparison to the protein/veggie intake. We've both had one-bite cheats probably twice when the grocery store is sampling things we've been wanting to try but otherwise we've really stuck to it. I'm also happy to be one of the people on the diet who is rarely hungry at all, although I still try to eat according to the W30 portion rules.

Has anyone else gained weight in their first week? If so, what adjustments did you make or did you just keep on and hoping for the best? In happier news, I'm not famished when coming home from work, I feel much more energetic and I'm sleeping better. So, for that I suppose it's worth it. I also agree with the premise of the diet and eating whole foods and avoiding the processed stuff, so doing the W30 has helped me become more disciplined about that.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

That's true! I mainly started the W30 to drop the weight I gained after the wedding but if I'm getting farther from that goal, I want to know and adjust whatever is making that happen! :)

• Moderators

If you read through the timeline you'll notice that there are times throughout the 30 days where you may experience bloating and may feel that you've gained weight. This is normal. 

Weight loss is not a linear process. Even if you do everything exactly right, your weight can fluctuate from day to day, or even on the same day, depending on how much fluid you've had, how much salt you've had, whether you've gone to the bathroom, what your hormones are doing, etc. That is why we say don't step on the scale for 30 days. 

Now, put the scale away in the back of the closet and ignore it for the rest of the month, eat according to the meal template, and quit worrying about it.

• Moderators

We've both had one-bite cheats probably twice when the grocery store is sampling things we've been wanting to try but otherwise we've really stuck to it. 

I just want to make it clear that there are no "cheats" on Whole 30. Either you're compliant or you're not. There's really no wiggle room here.

Archived