Did well first 6 days... now feeling shaky

I'm now on day 8. I have not had too much trouble overall. Some mild headaches but nothing else major. I've noticed some changes in my intestines shall I say, and I feel great about what I'm eating. Today however, I'm feeling very blue and I am very shaky...the same feelings I would get when I was way past hungry and needed some OJ. I do not have any illnesses, but when my blood sugar is on the low side, I am cranky and shaky and unfocused. I've not had one cheat or slip yet And have followed the plan to a T. Anything I can do to get rid of the shakes?

You may need to add salt. Most people on the whole30 don't eat enough salt and they get shaky. You might need to increase your carb / starchy veggies. Definitely post some of your meals in case we notice something that you can tweak. 

HI Tina

I dont usually salt my food Because I thought it was bad for you...though I love it! Good deal about that! And I will add some more starch. Easy fixes. Thanks so much.

today I had eggs and organic sausage for breakfast with some berries. Lunch was sauerkraut with a pork chop and grapefruit. Dinner will be sweet potato fries and chicken thighs and likely spinach. And mango salsa... (my fav!) That has onion, mango, olive oil, and avocado. So yeah...not many starchy veggies. Thanks for the quick response and the great tips!

Kathleen

• Moderators

It looks to me like you're not eating enough, period. You're severely undernourishing yourself. You should be eating 2-3 cups of veggies with every meal. The only veggies I see at all are with meal 3. And what about fat? 

Take a look at the template and increase your portions of veggies, protein, and fat accordingly for best results and to get rid of the shakes.

Hi Tina!

Oh goodness...I hope that I am not  under nourishing myself.  So how is this.

For breakfast, I have been eating 3 eggs and mango salsa with avocado or sausage and fresh fruit.  For lunch I have been having 2 chicken thighs, some raw cashews and a large veggie salad.  (lettuce, berries, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, radish)  Dinner last night was ground beef, avocado, onion, sweet potato fries, and Brussels sprouts.

I have gotten past the shaky thing.  That lasted for two days.  If I get hungry, it is usually right before lunch, which is the time of day I have always gotten hungry.

Other than that, I always feel satisfied when I eat, which is new for me. 

Should I be having veggies with every meal?  I have to admit, veggies for breakfast is very unappealing, but I will do it if I need to.  I love them at all other times of the day. 

Other than that shaky thing, I am really feeling well overall and people are starting to notice.  Even before the Whole30, I have been trying to watch what I eat for the last few months.  This has just taken that to a whole new level. 

Kathleen

• Moderators

Glad to hear you're doing better, Kathleen. And yes, you should be eating up to three cups of veggies with breakfast, especially if you're hungry before lunch. The fruit in the morning might not be doing you any favors, either. Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate for best results.

:unsure:

less fruit...more veggies.  Ok got it.

Is that in general?  Less fruit, more veggies?  I love fruit.  Always have.  Now that I think about what I am eating...I suppose I am eating too much fruit.  I know that the Whole 30 book says that my tastes will change over time, and that I will really learn to value the whole foods and the tastes of them... but I have to tell ya, I still hate carrots and celery.  I have to find veggies that I can eat raw and grab on the go. 

K

• Administrators

:unsure:

less fruit...more veggies.  Ok got it.

Is that in general?  Less fruit, more veggies?  I love fruit.  Always have.  Now that I think about what I am eating...I suppose I am eating too much fruit.  I know that the Whole 30 book says that my tastes will change over time, and that I will really learn to value the whole foods and the tastes of them... but I have to tell ya, I still hate carrots and celery.  I have to find veggies that I can eat raw and grab on the go. 

K

You can eat cooked veggies on the go also. Roast a sweet potato and cube it up.  Brussel sprouts roasted and chilled are good.  Steamed green beans that are cold are good.  Try roasted beets cold too.  Nothing says you have to eat your veggies raw just because you're out.  ;)

• Moderators

I found that when I eat enough veggies at each meal that a piece of fruit added on seems like too much once I've eaten my protein, veggies and fat.

Try skipping the fruit at Meal 1 especially. Sweet stuff, even fruit first thing in the day can throw off your blood sugar for some people.

I enjoy cut up bell peppers, broccoli florets, sugar snap peas, jicama as quick easy portable raw veggies. Make some Baba Ghanouj to go with them. Dipping veggies in delicious veggies... you'll feel like a nutrition SAINT!

You guys are great!

A nutrition saint?  Wow...  At least I would be saintly in one area of my life.  Thanks so much for your help.  I will make a concerted effort to eat more veggies.  Wonder if the fruit I have been eating has kept me out of sugar withdrawal...and that is why I have not really gotten a headache or felt the carb flu.  Oh dear.  I hope not.

I just used to eat such junk....   someone somewhere would  be proud of me for eating so much fruit!  LOL.  Time to turn the page...  Snap peas here I come.. and I though Jicama was a country.

I felt similarly about veggies at breakfast, but in the past three weeks I have enjoyed sweet potatoes, turnips, normal potatoes, celeriac, beetroot (basically the more carby ones) cut up into tiny cubes and fried to make them crispy. It goes really well with fried eggs (doesn't everything?!). Kale and broccoli fried up sometimes too. I don't think I would stomach them if they were too moist or vegetably... But fried and crispy seems to work well first thing! Sometimes tomatoes too... Though I guess they are technically fruit?!

Archived