Day 21, Constipation and no appetite

Ytu

I've had digestive issues this time round (never have these usually, nor during my first whole 30 a few months ago) including constipation and it's been quite bad the last couple of days.

Today I'm not hungry at all, have had to force my meals down and feel like my body is telling me not to put more food in when the whole digestive system is so clogged up. 

My question is, should I continue to make myself eat full template meals, eat smaller meals or maybe fast on liquids only until things are back to normal and I feel hungry again?

(I've googled the forum for advice on the topic and am trying pretty much every constipation home remedy I could find, and things are starting to move along, though slowly, so I hope it's in the process of getting back to normal, just wondering how to approach meals until then.)

I'd suggest trying to at least get a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat in every 4-5 hours.  Also be sure you're drinking at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of your current body weight. Bone broth may be a good option for you now as well.

You could also list 2-3 days worth of what you've been eating and drinking to see if folks here can recommend additional tweaks.

Thanks Chris. 

My food in last three days (haven't measured the exact amount of water but I drink a lot of it)

Saturday

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, kippers, spinach and swede with ghee, a banana.

M2: Hot smoked salmon, salad of cucumber, parsley and tomato, carrot sticks, kimchee.

M3: beef and prune tagine with cauliflower pilaf, pureed carrots with caraway seeds, cabbage with ghee and capers.

Drinks: Large glass of warm water with lemon, black decaf coffee, roiibos tea, more water all day. 

Sunday

M1: 3 poached eggs in spicy onion and tomato sauce, kimchee.

M2: tin of mackerel, aubergine in tomato sauce, cooked beetroot, olives.

M3: coconut crusted chicken leg, cabbage and carrots sauteed in ghee, a potato.

Drinks: Large glass of warm water with lemon, black decaf coffee, roiibos tea, more water.

Monday

M1: 3-egg omelette, spinach and swede with ghee, kimchee.

M2: tin of mackerel, cabbage with ghee and capers, raw beetroot and pear salad, carrot sticks.

M3: beef and prune tagine with cauliflower rice pilaf, pureed celeriac with ghee, radishes, olives.

Drinks: Large glass of warm water with lemon, black tea, fennel tea, roiibos tea, more water.

None of the foods are very different to what I would have eaten before the whole 30, though the amounts of protein and veg are larger and I used to have some dairy (butter, yogurt) and grains (mainly rice, rye sourdough). 

Personally, I think you should listen to your hunger signals for a day or two. If you're not hungry, stay compliant with what you do eat, but don't force it.  You've been dealing with some digestive issues, so it's not like you're reducing intake for the wrong reasons (skipping meals to reduce, not eating breakfast, etc).

Thank you all. Will try mini meals of cooked veg, protein, fat and broth and not force the meals. 

Loulabelle, thank you, will look into that remedy if things don't improve in the next couple of days. 

Raw veggies might be a culprit. Maybe try switching to all cooked veggies and see if that gives you any relief?

Yes, my thought as well. I wouldn't force myself to eat and when I did eat, I'd try to make sure that all the food was gentle on my digestive system ie. soft food. So less raw salads and more cooked-till-their-almost-falling-apart vegetables.

I agree with the raw veggies. The other question is where are you in your cycle. I tend to get pretty backed up in the week leading up to my period and the first couple of days. Also how has your sleep been? I find sleep is something else that tends to mess with my regularity.

Thanks for your thoughts, Physibeth. I had my period last week so it's not PMS but could be otherwise hormones regulating themselves of course. 

Sleep has been good this time round, a steady 8 hours per night on average - on my first whole 30 I suffered from insomnia but digestion was fine, now digestion is troubling me but sleep is good!

Have felt a bit better today, hope things are on their way to normal.

Found this article with a video of suggested exercises in case anyone else is suffering with same issues: I haven't tried yet but will this evening.

http://scdlifestyle.com/2015/02/relieve-constipation-with-natural-movement/

Wanted to give an update on this issue, in case it might help anyone else suffering.

I tried: warm water with lemon first thing in the morning (a couple of times with added cayenne), a few prunes with breakfast, probiotic capsules, magnesium citrate, drinking lots and lots of water but not with meals, only eating cooked veges, chewing food thoroughly, the yoga moves and massage in the above video. Nothing made a huge difference. I was still bloated and thought I was gaining weight.

I did two more things: removed eggs from my breakfast, and added 2 tbsp of ground flax seed in a large glass of water. Miracle! Bloating gone, constipation gone, happy healthy BM in the morning. Today is the second day and everything feels 100% better. Not sure which one did the trick but will try adding eggs back in carefully - I was eating 3 every day and maybe that was just too many.

Archived