Lightheaded and don't know why

Hi all, my first post here although I've been trolling around for a week or so. I thought y'all might be able to give me an idea as to why I'm feeling so lightheaded today. 

I'm on day 8, and haven't had one slip. I am working hard to keep my caloric intake up to normal. This morning I had two eggs, half a potato and 8oz of smoothie containing an orange, a carrot and ginger (so I don't think I'm carb deprived). I did work out this morning, moderately, but have had plenty of water. Why do I feel so woozy???

• Moderators

You aren't eating enough. For eggs, your portion should be the amount you can hold in your hand. Usually 3 - 4.

Half a potato isn't much unless it was a big one - we recommend 1 - 3 cups veggies at every meal.

Click on the Meal Template link in my signature below to review our recommended portions and remember, those are minimum recommendations.

Smoothies, while technically compliant, are not recommended. Fruit in the morning can set you up for a blood sugar drop later. Blending strips away the fiber thus it is not as satiating as eating the fruits and veggies.

• Administrators

Sorry you aren't feeling well.  Your breakfast is a little light on protein, heavy on sugars and appears to be missing fat?

Could you post the last couple days of your intake including portion size, fluids, exercise, sleep and stress?  Sometimes a symptom like this is a result of a cumulative effect of the past few days.

The Smoothie is the #1 suspect.  Your breakfast is mostly natural sugars with very little protein and good dietary fats.    Smoothies are out on the Whole 30...unless you're doing the Vegan Version.   I'll let the Mods help you work through that version.

My smoothie wasn't juiced, it contained the entire orange, carrot and ginger. I figured it was better than a swig of OJ nutrition-wise, but will avoid in the future if it's a no-no. (It wasn't even that good!)

Sunday:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, a few slices bacon and ~1c mixed cashews berries and coconut

Lunch: 2 lettuce wraps with ground chicken, mushrooms and cashews, a few homemade sweet potato chips

Dinner: pot roast, potatoes and carrots

Yesterday's food: 

Breakfast: ~1.5 c of pumpkin 'porridge' made with ground cashews, hazelnuts, pecans and coconut milk with ~.25c of blueberries and raspberries

Lunch: ~4c salad with grilled chicken, radishes, broccoli, tomatoes and ~4 tsp dressing (avocado oil + balsamic), Larabar

Dinner: ~2c sauteed zucchini, scallops, w bacon and a handful of cashews

Today's breakfast: 

1/2 potato, 2 eggs (from our chickens) fried in ~1 tsp clarified butter

I also drink probably 4-6 glasses of water a day, a bottle of Kombucha, a couple cups of coffee and a few cups of green tea.

Looking at that, I really may not be eating enough. I'm always hungry. :/

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Do you have a copy of the recommended meal template? For best results, follow this template at every meal.  You want to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.

With that in mind,

- don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.
- the porridge isn't the best meal choice, as it doesn't contain protein (nuts are a fat source on a Whole30)
- Lara bars are emergency food only on a Whole30

When eggs are your only protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in 1 hand: for most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.

Also, confirm that your bacon is compliant: no sugar, sweetener or other nasties.

Thank you GFChris. I just saw the meal template and will try to follow it more carefully. 

Good to know @ the porridge... I was just excited to find something that wasn't EGGS! and the Lara bar was sort of an emergency yesterday at work.. I wasn't feeling great yesterday either but attributed it to the new food plan.

Re: the bacon, it was uncured but I don't know whether it had sugar in it. I only had a piece, but am wondering if it does contain sugar what I should do at this point. 

Good to know @ the porridge... I was just excited to find something that wasn't EGGS! and the Lara bar was sort of an emergency yesterday at work.. I wasn't feeling great yesterday either but attributed it to the new food plan.

Re: the bacon, it was uncured but I don't know whether it had sugar in it. I only had a piece, but am wondering if it does contain sugar what I should do at this point. 

Non-egg breakfasts have been discussed extensively in the past on the forum. First, consider breakfast = meal 1 - you can eat whatever you'd eat at your other two meals at the first meal of the day. Leftovers are a popular choice. Google Whole30 non-egg breakfasts for other options. (Easiest way to search the forum is from Google.)

If your bacon had sugar/sweetener in it, at a minimum, don't have the bacon again for the rest of your Whole30.  In terms of whether or not to restart, read this article and decide.

In case anyone that posted here reads this.. thank you so much for the advice.  Even typing out what I'd eaten made me realize I wasn't eating enough. I nearly doubled my breakfast intake and I feel absolutely wonderful both yesterday and today!

In case anyone that posted here reads this.. thank you so much for the advice.  Even typing out what I'd eaten made me realize I wasn't eating enough. I nearly doubled my breakfast intake and I feel absolutely wonderful both yesterday and today!

YAY!  Thanks for letting us know the changes you made and the impact!  :D

Archived