Starting in June - is it worth preparing now?

EmLo

So, I have a few things in the next few months, including being away for over 2 weeks where I won't have control over my food, and a couple of big events in May that I just don't want to miss out on, so there aren't 30 consecutive days in which to do a Whole30 before June. I am just wondering, have people found they have had more success if they start incorporating Whole30 days/weeks before attempting a full 30? I am on the low FODMAP diet, which is pretty darn restrictive already :angry:

• Moderators

It always does a body good to eat a higher percentage of foods that make you more healthy and a lower percentage of foods that make you less healthy. People who are used to eating a lot of foods that make them less healthy can have more unpleasant symptoms as they transition in the first few weeks of a Whole30. Those who are used to eating a lot of foods that make them more healthy find the transitions easier. 

Definitely! I gradually cleaned my eating up and was eating darned near a Whole30 at most meals most days of the week when I first started. I found out that I was Irritated By All The Things, my hangover was just a mild headache, and I didn't really have any strange food dreams. The only really challenging thing for me was the Sugar Dragon - which was the biggest reason I wasn't completely Whole30 the rest of the time. Based on my personal n=1, I would say there is huge benefit. I wouldn't recommend deliberately "puttin it off" just to prepare, but since you already have a start date that's a ways down the road, you can only help yourself by cleaning up your diet before you get there.

• Administrators

I'm in the "do what you can now" camp.  Your transition will be less upsetting to your body if you can start eliminating things now.  Start drinking coffee black or with coconut milk, replace grain-based sides with extra veggies, start reading labels and understanding just how many things sugar and soy show up in.  

You can never, ever go wrong in eating whole foods and eliminating anything processed.  :)

I am on my 14th day of my Whole30, and the ONLY problems I have had were being unprepared. I would suggest already creating meals that are Whole30 compliant, and making a list of them.... I think that would be super helpful to just have a complete list of entrees, sides, and snacks to get you through the thirty days at least! Sure wish I had done that!

• 1 month later...

I would suggest already creating meals that are Whole30 compliant, and making a list of them.... I think that would be super helpful to just have a complete list of entrees, sides, and snacks to get you through the thirty days at least! Sure wish I had done that!

This is a great idea! At one point I went so far as to keep a white board calendar on the refrigerator and write down the meals I had planned for that night. I found that didn't work for me so well, because sometimes the meal I had planned didn't sound appetizing. Now I just write the dates the meat needs to be cooked/frozen by, and also list the veggies in the fridge. I'll put an asterisk next to the veggies that don't keep as long or I've had in there longer. For those weeks I don't prepare as well, it makes it a little easier to see what I have on hand to create a meal.

I am on the low FODMAP diet, which is pretty darn restrictive already :angry:

You've got a huge headstart then. You could start to roll back grains and sugars since that's a good idea whether you're on Whole30 or not.

Archived