Sue F - Whole30 Log

Whole30Sue

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you  want the Whole 30 for the BIG WIN, you cannot think in terms of fast. 

Fast means loss of muscle mass.  It's difficult to release weight without losing muscle mass right along with it.

Weight loss is only half of the journey.  You have to build yourself back up again.  I'm not only talking about the mental stuff but doing cardio with strength training.   It's the only way to build yourself back up while releasing weight at the same time.

Feelings are always legitimate because they are your feelings.  We can look forward to eating.  It's such an important part of life.  I do not think there is anything wrong with that.

We're just looking forward to really healthy food.  Food is good medicine if we choose the right foods. We can  look forward to meal times.

No problem-o in my book because I've learned to make good food choices work for me.  Don't cry because it did not happen fast.   SMILE BECAUSE IT HAPPENED.   

Thanks. I didn't even realize until just now that have this reasoning going on in my head, that if I lose weight my sleep apnea and high blood pressure will be gone. Looking at the end goal only. Forgetting that there is a lot of learning and healing to happen along the way. Okay. I am going to try to forget about the scale. Forget about "fast." Focus on the meal planning, because that is KEY for me. And I am going to start walking soon and hopefully build up to more. Thanks again!!

Sue, I'm leaving you to your own personal journey.  Walking would be a great activity.  You can work up to some hills.

Remember that "dieters go fast" but they also rebound twice as fast because the body is bent on survival. Hunger for food is built into our genes.  Releasing weight is a marathon and not a sprint.   Weight that is artificially low because of dieting and more dieting.... comes with an appetite reckoning in the future.   

As jmcbn so aptly says,  "Going on a quick food blow-out  is never quick".     I call it Thrill Eating.  Going slowly is the best shot at getting there and actually staying there.  Sticking the landing.

Day 32 -

M1: left over breakfast casserole with fried egg on top, half avocado (casserole has ground beef, onion, bell pepper and sweet potato in it, but probably not enough veggies)

Coffee with coconut milk (made sure to have coffee after breakfast) at 9am

M2: texmex casserole, avocado, salad with homemade ranch

M3: steak, grilled onions, roasted broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and sweet potato

My food cookup on Tuesday has been a big help. Why did I never do this before? Anytime we were in a rush somewhere, I had good food. Need to add boiled eggs to the next cookup. My chickens got confused this week when we modified their coop to accommodate our new baby chicks, so they didn't lay as much. Plus they are still coming out of their winter dormant time. So I need to buy some other breakfast protein so I can let my eggs supply build back up. Love my chickens.

Plan for tonight: steaks and roasted veggies, salad with my new attempt at mayo and ranch dressing. Think I put too much parsley. May have to make more mayo to balance it.

Daughter has prom tomorrow. Stressed. With her paralysis she has some very unglamorous issues on occasion. Praying nothing happens while all dressed up. She is going to start eating paleo with me next week. She isn't doing a whole30, she has too many events since she is graduating this month that she wants to "enjoy" the food. But we are going to get started with paleo. Lots to do today, having party at our house. Gotta wash car since it has the wheelchair ramp etc.

Day 33 -

Sleep did not go well at all. Kept waking and adjusting the CPAP mask. Then awoke for good at 4am. Had coffee first and early. Did not eat at all until lunch. Putting my to do items before my food. Will pay for it later today.

Coffee

M1: shrimp, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, avocado, banana

Banana

Few bites of brisket

Some fruit

M2: shrimp, roasted veggies, avocado

In the past, a day like today would have resulted in binge eating. So even though it was far from ideal, the food was compliant, and I didn't turn to food when stressed. Crazy busy. Went from one thing to another today. Still not over. Going to be a long night. Have to go pick up daughter's friend later and take her home. After prom party at our house. But worth it. My daughter is happy.

Day 34 -

Another night of bad sleep. Up late. But had a good breakfast and coffee was with breakfast.

Long day ahead in another town for younger daughter's sand volleyball tourney. Should be fun.

Ice chest packed.

M1: scrambled eggs, spinach, avocado, strawberries, coffee with coconut milk

M2: meat sauce with spaghetti squash (cold from ice chest), fruit cup

M3: little bit more meat sauce and spaghetti squash

M4: hamburger patty, zucchini, fruit

Messy day, but got through. Underprepared, need to do some planning tomorrow.

Day 35 -

Did not plan well enough yesterday. Had way too much fruit because that was what I had available. Really upset my stomach today. Better planning today. Went to store, actually looking forward to my cookup tomorrow.

Woke up with my CPAP mask completely off this morning. This has been a common problem for me.

M1: three scrambled eggs in ghee, spinach, half avocado, coffee with coconut milk

M2: chili over spinach, handful cashews

M3: shrimp, pico de gallo, avocado

You're on Day 36 now!  Wow!  I've missed so much being off in my own world!  You sound like you're doing awesome as well!  Also sounds like you're crazy busy - prom!!!  Exciting days!  All the talk about Whole30 for weight loss versus overall health is good stuff.  I certainly want the weight off, but Whole30 sold me when my asthma junk lessened.  I think it also makes me realize how powerful food is in my body.  I like recognizing that my body or brain responds to some foods like an addiction.  It's so much better than blaming myself for lack of will power or gluttony.  I sure wouldn't mind having weight fly off, but this daily living is so much better than the months I spent calorie counting a few years back.

You're on Day 36 now!  Wow!  I've missed so much being off in my own world!  You sound like you're doing awesome as well!  Also sounds like you're crazy busy - prom!!!  Exciting days!  All the talk about Whole30 for weight loss versus overall health is good stuff.  I certainly want the weight off, but Whole30 sold me when my asthma junk lessened.  I think it also makes me realize how powerful food is in my body.  I like recognizing that my body or brain responds to some foods like an addiction.  It's so much better than blaming myself for lack of will power or gluttony.  I sure wouldn't mind having weight fly off, but this daily living is so much better than the months I spent calorie counting a few years back.

Thanks. I am amazed that has been 36 days. Never thought I could do it. I'm starting to see hints of letting go of the weight focus. It's a journey, for sure. I so totally agree, it is such a relief to quit blaming myself.

Day 37 -

Travel day.

M1: eggs, hotdog frank, mixed greens

Coffee

M2: Chipotle-carnitas, lettuce, guacamole, salsa

Snack: fruit (big mistake, was driving and felt fine, ate some fruit and got super sleepy)

M3: chicken, sweet potato, broccoli, asparagus, olives

Day 38 -

M1: eggs, bacon, onions, bell pepper, coffee

M2: salad with grilled chicken, oil and vinegar dressing, olives

M3: two hotdog franks, olives

M4: pulled pork, mayo, cabbage

ISSUE...

Lunch was business lunch, they ordered from a local restaurant. Forgot to tell them no croutons on my salad. So I had to pick them off. They were very crumbly, so there were very small bits too small to pick out. So there I was at a conference table with the county judge, hospital CEO and the hospital's attorney, not wanting to reject the meal. So I poured on my dressing and ate it, as best I could avoiding those crumbs. Made a decision on the spot that it was best to eat it and considered it here on day 38 a test of a small reintroduction of wheat. Well, this evening I ended up with a headache. Haven't had one in weeks. Also found myself feeling tempted by sweet treats. Don't know if that is psychological from the voluntary off-plan choice, or physical from the little bit of grains.

Day 39 -

Was so sleepy last night that I fell asleep without putting CPAP mask on. Mistake. Woke at 4am feeling exhausted. Heading to MD Anderson today for six month check up with oncologist. These visits always remind me of the gift of life. How blessed I am. I need to appreciate each moment more. Get too caught up in the race.

A day of waiting rooms.

M1: three fried eggs, spinach and proscuitto

Coffee with coconut milk

Pistachios and olives

M2: grilled chicken and salad

M3: texmex casserole

Day 40 -

M1: texmex casserole, avocado, coffee

M2: texmex casserole, andouille sausage & cabbage

Cashews

M3: meat sauce over zucchini, half sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon.

I had the great pleasure of experiencing tiger blood today!! Now that was fun! Happy and working hard all day. With a big graduation party coming up, I wanted to do some touch ups around the house. So I got up in the attic and found the right paint. We have five outdoor cats (love my cats) and some of the outdoor door trim has been used as scratching posts. So we sanded and painted two doors and three door trims. They look awesome.

Also found the matching paint for the indoor trim too. My daughter in a hurry in her wheelchair can do some serious damage to the indoor door trim paint. Doesn't bother me one bit, those marks just mean she is happy and busy wheeling around. But, since I've got this tiger blood thing happening, I'm planning on painting some indoor spots tomorrow afternoon.

I did experience this energy one other day this week too. Seems to coincide with keeping CPAP mask on longer through the night.

Got my new fitbit one in the mail yesterday. Wore it all day today. My goal is to reach the recommended 10,000 steps. I hit 11,985. How about that!!

My recipe today of compliant andouille sausage, onion and cabbage was a hit with the hubby.

Hi Sue,

Thank you for your posts. I am starting the Whole30 on Monday. You are very inspirational and I enjoyed reading of your progress.  :)

Thank you for reading them. It is VERY helpful to write this log. Keeps me accountable and when I can't think of what I want to cook, I can look back to see what else I made in the past that I have forgotten. Best wishes on your journey!

Day 41 -

I did not post how hard of a time I had on day 39. Lesson learned. When traveling for the day, pack twice as much food as I think I might need. I live 2.5 hours from MD Anderson. Had a good breakfast and packed one meal expecting to be home for supper. My backup plan was a Chipotle restaurant not far from the medical center. Been to it before and they had carnitas. Of course, things did not go as planned. I had a two hour break between appointments, ran an errand for my husband that took much longer than expected.

Then my appointment ran very late. I ate some of my packed food in the waiting room so that helped. Out of the five patients before me, three of them found out that day that they had breast cancer recurrences. Brought me to tears when my doc told me. So he was running very behind schedule. I will take waiting any day, so those women can get extra time with the doctor. Stopped at Chipotle to eat supper, but they did not have carnitas, so drove home kind of hungry. Good things...I didn't get sleepy on drive (which I normally do) and I love David McCullough, his new audiobook on the Wright Brothers kept me thoroughly entertained on my drive.

The Wright brothers are also very inspirational for my Whole60. They started at the very beginning with building a glider plane long before building a plane with an engine. They had to do the tedious hard work of experiments, making adjustments, testing, trial and error, and they never gave up. It took years. Some people supported them, some ridiculed. My journey with changing my food and my health is going to be long one. I can do it.

I also learned that I love kalamata olives. They are so good!! And I didn't like olives before. Thank goodness they don't seem to be a food with no breaks, I can enjoy a few and be happy without an unhealthy psychological attachment. In fact, I now have a litmus test for my FWNB. For example, one of my compliant FWNB are macadamia nuts. When I think of them, my mind immediately pictures the exact shelf at Wal-Mart, with the exact location on the shelf, the bright teal-blue canister, and the label, with me standing in front of them. Wow. I feel a pull to them sitting here on my couch at 5:30 in the morning. I have a couple of other FWNB and the same thing happens when I think of them. Vividly, in my mind, I am standing at that spot in the store. Bizarre. I don't do that with the olives. In fact, I can't remember where I got them. Yea!

M1: chicken chorizo, onion, spinach with egg on top. Yum. Half avocado. Banana. Coffee

M2: steak, sweet potato, roasted veggies

M3: chicken thigh, potato, carrots

Steps 6,759

Day 42 -

M1: eggs, chorizo, spinach, prosciutto

Coffee

M2: leftover chicken, potatoes, carrots, texmex casserole

Cashews

M3: grilled shrimp, mayo, squash/bacon/rotel dish, olives

Great sleep last night. Lots done today. More painting.

Youngest daughter missed her footing coming down stairs at school last week, severely sprained her ankle, luckily no fractures. Took her to orthopedic doc today. Verdict: No sports for at least another three weeks. So, out of the five basketball tournaments she was supposed to participate in this month, she will only have attended one. And the team my husband and I put together for a volleyball summer league, she will miss at least the first two practices. It is going to be tough on her. She LOVES volleyball, rarely a day goes by that she doesn't ask me to practice with her in our barn. Well, this is the beginning of long term care for her ankles.

Steps: 6,899

Day 43 -

A bit of an odd pattern seems to be developing. I am getting a really good night's sleep, keeping cpap mask on, every OTHER night. Weird. The day following a good sleep, I get so much done. I find myself very very happy happy. Then the next night is bad sleep. Like last night. Woke at 2am this morning, very frustrated, taking mask off. Slept a little longer, then up at 3:30, cannot go back to sleep for nothin'. Had the first hot flash I've had since chemo. Today is going to be a tough day.

But at least there are now some tiger blood days to look forward to. Maybe it will migrate eventually to a good night every night.

I am afraid that I am going to have to give up coffee completely at some point. Might be the cause of the sleep issues. I am very sensitive to caffeine, some mornings the jittery buzz it gives me is actually uncomfortable, even when I have it with food. Not ready to give it up, but seeing the hints that I may need to in the future. And I only have ONE cup each morning. Some mornings I do good and have it with breakfast. Some mornings I am still rebellious and have it before. Why do I have a need to stay a little off the path with some rebellious behavior? Human nature?

Strong coffee

M1: chorizo, onions, bell pepper, spinach, with fried egg on top. Half avocado

M2: cold steak, mayo, pistachios, banana (electricity outage)

M3: left over shrimp, carrots, sweet potato hash

M4: left over chicken, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes

My complete exhaustion today resulted in four meals. I definitely feel the instinct to fuel my body with food when I'm that tired. No nap.

Steps: 8,703

I finally put my coffee maker away.  I did reduce down to one cup aday but came to your same conclusions. I don't think you're rebellious...when it's -30 below zero where I am, a hot drink is just the ticket to get rid of the shivers.  I keep the tea kettle on with hot water now and sip that morning, noon, and night.

I finally put my coffee maker away.  I did reduce down to one cup aday but came to your same conclusions. I don't think you're rebellious...when it's -30 below zero where I am, a hot drink is just the ticket to get rid of the shivers.  I keep the tea kettle on with hot water now and sip that morning, noon, and night.

Wow. I cannot fathom living in 30 below. You must be a tough one! I'm in south central Texas where we barely have a winter. We get "cold fronts" that come down from the north, cold for a whole, then it warms up again. So one day may require a coat, then the next day we can wear shorts. Of course, we get some hot muggy summers. So I can't use the cold weather excuse for my coffee drinking.

So funny you should mention that.  We get alot of Texans and Californians that move here.   They last about one or two winters and high tail it back for the sun.  You'd think with all of the shivering that we would all be twigs.   Not so.   Not so.   We  learn how to really eat to survive.  The downside is using eating to combat boredom and cabin fever.   Definitely a downside to being cooped up all winter long.

You have fine winters.   Our water runs downhill.  We're low on snowpack.....let's hope there's enough water to go around this year.

California and Texas are both hurting for water. 

So funny you should mention that.  We get alot of Texans and Californians that move here.   They last about one or two winters and high tail it back for the sun.  You'd think with all of the shivering that we would all be twigs.   Not so.   Not so.   We  learn how to really eat to survive.  The downside is using eating to combat boredom and cabin fever.   Definitely a downside to being cooped up all winter long.

You have fine winters.   Our water runs downhill.  We're low on snowpack.....let's hope there's enough water to go around this year.

California and Texas are both hurting for water. 

We have been in a drought situation for several years, so far this year has been a wet one, so maybe cycle is changing. Not a weather expert by any means. I guess super cold climate results in a metabolism that tries to hold on to fat, natures way of making warm mama for babies? Not sure of a reason why we hang on to the fat here is south Texas. I can count on one hand the number of times I've even seen snow.

Archived