Shannon's First Whole30 Log - Fighting for my life!

Hello,

This is where I will be putting my daily eats, thoughts, feels etc. PLEASE feel free to comment and connect with me. I need all the support and motivation possible. See my story here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/26505-living-my-life/

Day 1: April 6th, 2015

Meal One: 3 Eggs scrambled in clarified butter, 2 pieces bacon, homemade guac.

Meal Two: Chunky Chicken Salad (with Paleo Mayo) on bed of lettuce, banana.

Meal Three: Chicken, Bacon and Brussel Sprouts with a side salad.

This is the first day in a long time, maybe forever, that I haven't had a snack. I was satiated throughout the day and felt very confident.

I did, however, have a slight headache starting around 3 PM until bed time. I was not a caffeine drinker at all prior, so maybe it's from cutting out other foods.

Day 2: April 7th, 2015 Thoughts:

This will be my first day back at work, work is the hardest place for me to stay on track with any eating plan. I am nervous, but really want to succeed. Badly. It will be interesting to see what happens. I work in the ER, surrounded by others sweet tempting food that they love to share. Also, I am unable to do much to distract myself if it is not busy. But, alas, I MUST do this! So here we go!

post-66594-0-17303300-1428413986_thumb.j

post-66594-0-10332200-1428414002_thumb.j

post-66594-0-21453500-1428414018_thumb.j

The name you chose for yourself is so strong: fierce, fabulous and confident. You've totally got this. 

I'm on Day 9 and was also a snacker prior to Whole30 and have only had two snacks since starting. That's a big win for me. 

• Moderators

Your meals look good, but you would probably benefit from eating a starchy veggie at least once per day. Sweet potato, rutabaga, plantains, parsnips, etc. Many people, especially women, feel and perform better when they consume some carbs regularly. Starchy veggies are the best source of carbs. 

You food looks delicious! Is it enough, though? Tom knows what he's talking about, so take his advice into consideration.

I know the challenge of the workplace. I work in a large hotel/resort with several restaurants and a world-class bakery. The temptations are everywhere. Plus, I tend to eat when I'm bored.

Remind yourself that you are stronger than the box of donuts (or whatever). And that no food is being "discontinued" while you're doing your W30.

Take it one day at a time.

The name you chose for yourself is so strong: fierce, fabulous and confident. You've totally got this. 

I'm on Day 9 and was also a snacker prior to Whole30 and have only had two snacks since starting. That's a big win for me. 

Thank you!!! That's a huge win, keep it up!

Your meals look good, but you would probably benefit from eating a starchy veggie at least once per day. Sweet potato, rutabaga, plantains, parsnips, etc. Many people, especially women, feel and perform better when they consume some carbs regularly. Starchy veggies are the best source of carbs. 

Thank you for the tip, Tom! I added in a sweet potato this AM with breakfast and will have the other half later for dinner!

Well hey there chica! Rooting you on! You got this girl!

Well, hello! Long time no talk :D

You food looks delicious! Is it enough, though? Tom knows what he's talking about, so take his advice into consideration.

I know the challenge of the workplace. I work in a large hotel/resort with several restaurants and a world-class bakery. The temptations are everywhere. Plus, I tend to eat when I'm bored.

Remind yourself that you are stronger than the box of donuts (or whatever). And that no food is being "discontinued" while you're doing your W30.

Take it one day at a time.

It was enough yesterday, but I listened to Tom and threw in some starchy carbs this AM! I am not about to mess up due to not having some starchy carbs! Thank you for your tips!

Good Morning, it's day three but here's Day two's recap!

Day 2: April 7th, 2015

Meal One: 2 Eggs scrambled with mushrooms, onions and clarified butter, turkey sausage, avocado and half a sweet potatoe

Meal Two: Chunky Chicken Salad on lettuce bed topped with avocado, raw veggies with guac.

Meal Three: Chicken, Bacon and Brussel Sprouts with a side salad and half a sweet potatoe.

Day two, I can't believe it! NO snacks again (though, I think when I work until 11 PM I will bring one so I am not tempted by anything else, BUT IT WILL BE PLANNED). There were a lot of things at work that I wanted, not craved, just wanted. Which is part of my B.E.D., but I overcame it and stayed strong!

Again, a had another headache start around 3 PM and last until bedtime.

Day 3: April 8th, 2015 Thoughts:

Woke up this AM feeling a little grogy and my headache was still present. Luckily, I am home from work today so I will have no work temptations, I may need a nap today!

It's day 4! Here is my recap from yesterday.

Day 3: April 8th, 2015

Meal One: 2 Eggs scrambled with mushrooms, onions and clarified butter, turkey sausage, avocado and half a sweet potatoe

Meal Two: Chunky Chicken Salad on lettuce bed topped with avocado, raw veggies with guac.(Had two boiled eggs ready to go, but I wasn't hungry).

Meal Three: Shrimp, asparagus, avocado and half a sweet potatoe.

Woke up with a headache. Ugh. Around 12:30 PM I noticed I wasn't feeling the greatest while I was out running errands. When I returned home I had lunch and noticed I started to feel better and my headache went away. I also laid down for a nap, I was exhausted! Another day with NO SNACKS! HOLY CRAP! I can say, that previous snacking usually wasn't because I was hungry anyway.

Day 4: April 9th, 2015 Thoughts:

I am at work for twelve hours again, I have now done it once while on Whole30. I am trying really hard to disassociate work with binging! I am, however, working with a lady that can really get under my skin and stress me out. Sadly she sits right by me and won't stop talking. I WILL DO THIS!

Day 4: April 9th, 2015

Meal One: 2 Eggs scrambled with mushrooms, onions, bacon and clarified butter, turkey sausage, avocado and half a sweet potatoe

Meal Two: Chunky Chicken Salad on lettuce bed topped with avocado, raw veggies with guac, shrimp and half a banana

Meal Three: Chocolate Chilli, broccoli with clarified butter, half a sweet potatoe, 2 hard boiled eggs and half a banana

I felt great yesterday!! I had two VERY trying times at work though. First my co-worker who thinks she is my boss got on me about my eating (Last week she said I can't eat out front like the others, so I took it in back. Yesterday, she said we don't get real meal breaks and I was taking too long. I talked to my boss about it after, everything is cleared up), she honestly made me cry. Then another co-worker gave me some of my favorite candy!! Typically I would turn to food and binge because of these two things. BUT I reached out to my wonderful fiance and social media and I DIDN'T BINGE, I DIDN'T HAVE THE CANDY!!

One thing that happened though is that I brought more for my dinner, as I worked 12 hours until 11 PM,and consequently ate all of it not listening to my body signals. I was over full for a bit but not like when I would binge. I think that next time, I will put it in a separate bag labeled 'mini meal' instead of in my dinner bag. That way I don't feel the need to finish it!

Day 5: April 10th, 2015 Thoughts:

I am now off for 4 days!! I am feeling great! My body feels better, my mind feels better. So much so that I am spending my Amazon birthday gift card on 2 new paleo cookbooks, I will get them on Sunday!! I know I may have to modify a few for Whole30, but that's okay! I just have to keep remembering this feeling. The feeling of being free!

Day 5: April 10th, 2015

Meal One: 2 Eggs scrambled with mushrooms, onions, bacon and clarified butter, turkey sausage and half a sweet potatoe

Meal Two: Chunky Chicken Salad, raw veggies with guac, shrimp, apple with almond butter and 1 hard boiled egg

Meal Three: Chicken, bacon, olives, half a sweet potatoe and brussel sprouts

Still feeling wonderful and loving what I have accomplished so far! Seriously, 5 days with no binges nor snacking is a HUGE deal for me. :D

Day 6: April 11th, 2015 Thoughts:

Today will be a bit different, the fiance and I have a lot of wedding errands to run! We will be at a mall the majority of the day, but it should be after lunch so we may go out for dinner after. I WILL choose wisely!

Day 6: April 11th, 2015

Meal One: 2 Eggs scrambled with mushrooms, onions, bacon and clarified butter, turkey sausage and half a sweet potatoe and avocado

Meal Two: 2 hambuger patties over bed of lettuce, seasoned green beans and sweet potatoe with clarified butter

Mini Meal: 2 hard boiled eggs, veggies and guac

Fiance and I were out and about and got started before lunch, we didn't end up eating meal 2 until 4 PM (I was just starting to get hungry even) and so I wasn't hungry for my 3rd meal but thought it best I eat a mini meal so I didn't wake in the middle of the night starving! Successful day doing wedding errands!

Day 7: April 12th, 2015 Thoughts:

Today will be much like yesterday except with a lot of physical work! We are heading to the family farm (where we will be getting married) to start gathering branches and grapevines for some DIY projects. "Linner" will be at 4 PM so I may have a mini meal before heading over there.

Day 7: April 12th, 2015

Meal One: 2 Eggs scrambled with mushrooms, onions, bacon and clarified butter, turkey sausage and half a sweet potatoe

Mini Meal: Banana with Almond Butter

Meal Two: 2 hambuger patties over bed of lettuce, onions, seasoned green beans and baked potatoe with clarified butter

Had a wonderful day out at the farm! We didn't a lot of work back in the woods with hauling branches, definitely got my exercise in! I am 100% never hungry after I eat breakfast, but usually hungry before breakfast. The two meals with a mini meal have been working out really well for me these past two days, I just don't feel like I am going to explode from food anymore. I see now that to be a proper mini meal, I should have added some veggies. I am going to post in troubleshooting to see if it is okay to do two meals and a mini meal when I am just not hungry.

Day 8: April 123th, 2015 Thoughts:

One full week done! I honestly have no complaints! I love my breakfast every morning :D And I am a creature of habit and like to eat the same foods on a daily basis really. Today I will be making up some Whole30 Shephard's Pie and Tuna Salad for the week. I also plan on starting an exercise program for days I don't work on top of walking or playing tennis with the fiance.

Day 8: April 12th, 2015

Meal One: 2 Eggs scrambled with mushrooms, onions, bacon and clarified butter, chicken apple sausage and half a sweet potatoe with clarified butter

Meal Two: Tuna Ranch Salad (homemade) in mini sweet bell peppers with veggies and guac

Meal Three: Shepherd's Pie, Salad with homemade Ranch and Roasted Veggies with Clarified Butter

I did Turbo Fire Starter Class for my workout and still felt great the whole day. Not too tired until it was bed time! I also had my first lesson from my fiance in tennis!

Day 9: April 14th, 2015 Thoughts:

I am at work today for 12 hours, I will make sure to pack a little extra for dinner so that I am not tempted to go off plan. I am hoping that I can deal easily with my co-worker today and that it does not cause me stress and me want to immediately turn to food. I am still trying to come up with a few "If this" "Then this" plans for work. It is hard, I am not to leave my desk really and we are quite busy in the ER.

Day 9: April 14th, 2015

Meal One: 2 Eggs scrambled with mushrooms, onions, and bacon, turkey sausage and half a sweet potatoe with clarified butter

Meal Two: 2 Turkey Burgers with veggies on top, drizzled in paleo ranch, veggies, guac, banana

Meal Three: Chicken, bacon, olives, half a sweet potatoe and brussel sprouts

Yesterday went well at work, though, I noticed a fever blister pop up. Then this AM I woke up to multiple. I am not sure why, I haven't changed anything in my diet since Whole30.

Day 10: April 15th, 2015 Thoughts:

Off of work! Looking forward to a workout at some point plus some tennis with the Fiance.

Moving Past Whole30:

I am curious after I re-introduce when Whole30 is done and find the items I need to limit or stay away from, how do I proceed with weight loss. I didn't do Whole30 for weight loss, I did it to slay away my trigger foods and to have a better relationship with food. I wonder if I will need to start weighing food, tracking calories/points etc.

Not sure about the fever blisters. It could be related to the program and maybe not. Weird stuff tends to happen the first couple of weeks.

Try not to worry too much about post-W30 yet, but I think the best weight loss success stories I've seen here are from people that kept mostly to Whole30 principles unless something really special and worth it came along. Continuing to feed your body the correct nutrients in the correct amounts should nudge it slowly towards your ideal weight.

For now though just focus on finishing well. Don't worry about tomorrow, today has enough troubles for itself. :)

Not sure about the fever blisters. It could be related to the program and maybe not. Weird stuff tends to happen the first couple of weeks.

Try not to worry too much about post-W30 yet, but I think the best weight loss success stories I've seen here are from people that kept mostly to Whole30 principles unless something really special and worth it came along. Continuing to feed your body the correct nutrients in the correct amounts should nudge it slowly towards your ideal weight.

For now though just focus on finishing well. Don't worry about tomorrow, today has enough troubles for itself. :)

I am in a Facebook group of other Whole30 first timers and a few have said they experienced the fever blisters.

You are right, I need to focus on now. It is hard for me as I am such a planner!

Day 10: April 15th, 2015

Meal One: 2 Eggs scrambled with mushrooms, onions, and bacon, turkey sausage and half a sweet potatoe with clarified butter

Meal Two: Tuna Ranch Salad in bell peppers, half an apple with almond butter

Meal Three: Shepard's Pie, Broccoli with clarified butter and half a sweet potatoe

Had another successful day with no snacks! That's 10 whole days of no binges!! Worked out and did tennis!

Day 11: April 16th, 2015 Thoughts:

Back at work. Enough said. Also feeling a little bloated/heavier today. I hope that feeling goes away soon.

I've just been reading through all your posts, you are doing wonderfully! As Physibeth says don't worry about what happens next just yet, focus on now and how you are doing at the moment. The rest will come soon enough  :)

Moving Past Whole30:

I am curious after I re-introduce when Whole30 is done and find the items I need to limit or stay away from, how do I proceed with weight loss. I didn't do Whole30 for weight loss, I did it to slay away my trigger foods and to have a better relationship with food. I wonder if I will need to start weighing food, tracking calories/points etc.

I've just been reading through all your posts, you are doing wonderfully! As Physibeth says don't worry about what happens next just yet, focus on now and how you are doing at the moment. The rest will come soon enough  :)

Thank you, though I am sad to say I have gone off the Whole30 track as of yesterday. Re-starting today!

Yesterday was supposed to be Day 11. I worked yesterday and it was the busiest I have ever seen our ER. We had a lot of trauma and a very emotional 12 hours. I ate off plan majorly as it was easiest to throw in my mouth as I passed it. It made me feel like a failure, but I have moved on to realize that I am not a failure. I am so much of a perfectionist that I have realized in the past when I have messed up I keep messing up because I have already messed up. [ugh]

So, today is a new day. Today is Day 1. I will keep restarting until I get in a full 30 days. And, from what I can tell, I will do my best to live a mostly Whole30 lifestyle until I can feel confident that eating something off plan is okay, in moderation, unless it physically has an affect on me.

My plan today at work is this: I am bringing sunflower seeds and compliant beef jerky (thank God for living in WI), these will be used only if I am unable to sit down and eat as it is far too busy. EMERGENCIES ONLY. If anyone else has any other tips to make it a bit more 'mini meal-ish' please leave them. I literally have seconds to pop it in my mouth when we are busy. I always have veggies with me, but unless I dip them in guac or paleo ranch, I can't stomach them usually.

Don't be sad. Take what you have learned so far, figure out why you went off track then rock your re-start :-) If you need any help or encouragement then you know to come here to find it. 

Thank you, though I am sad to say I have gone off the Whole30 track as of yesterday. Re-starting today!

You might look into Rx Bars. They have more protein than Larabars. Most of the flavors are Whole30 approved but obviously not the peanut butter ones.

Can you eat raw baby carrots without dip? 

Hard boiled eggs are a good option as well as they have protein and fat.

Hang in there. It is hard to retrain our habits, but it is worth it.

Archived