Whole100, Far more serious..

WholeMama623

Day 85.

Beach day!! We are leaving at 1pm and I'm ready to roll. I've got some Epic Bites in my purse for the ride!

This morning my daughter fell and hit her head on the coffee table as we were walking out the door. It was awful. It bruised and bumped right away. Perfect for pictures at the beach, right?! Of course!!!

I'm a little worried about food while we are there, and I'm honestly swinging by the seat of my pants a little bit. I've never been to Wildwood and have no idea where/when we will be eating. I think it's going to be a tough weekend watching everyone else eat goodies, and having to skip it. I know I don't  need it, but It's still a challenge!

Hard to believe when I get back it'll be day 88. This is so quickly coming to an end.

Have a great weekend!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 88.

I have a lot to say about this weekend, it's going to be long. I wish it was going to be more positive than it will be.

First, travelling while doing a whole100 is HARD.

I only took one bag of epic bites for the car ride that was supposed to be 4 hours tops. Well, it was over 6 hours, and I was headachy and starving by the time we got to the beach. I was unprepared. I had nothing more for the car OR the hotel room. There wasn't a grocery store in sight, and we didn't leave the hotel/boardwalk until we headed home.

When we got there Friday night we decided to head out immediately for food. We hit the boardwalk and stopped at this burger joint. I found a burger on the menu that just listed Onion, tomato, and lettuce. No MENTION of cheese..ect. It comes out and has a piece of melted cheese on it. I stared at it. I scraped off the cheese as best as I could. I certainly was too hungry to wait another 15 minutes for my food. I ate it, and to make matters worse, it wasn't even good. I was totally unsatisfied with my meal and had nothing else the rest of the night** (** I will come back to this). Everyone else ate ice cream and delicious desserts and I was totally "meh" about dinner.

Breakfast both days was eggs, hashbrowns**, and ham with a piece of cantaloupe. I could handle this.

Lunch on Saturday was another bunless burger. Oh boy.

Saturday night for dinner I told my husband that I could NOT BEAR another burger and we'd need to find a place that had seafood or steaks. We found a place and I got a NY Strip that had olive oil brushed on and some spices. It came with sweet potato (hold the cinnamon sugar!) and peppers and onions which I did not eat. I also got some peel shrimp (plain) and ate them with salt. FINALLY. A decent meal!

Here is where I will address the **'s... I did eat potatoes served as Hashbrowns, and French fries that came with my two burgers. I figured at the time that they were potatoes, and I could not just eat a Burger by itself and make it the whole weekend. Plus, I was entirely defeated with the burger, and was still hungry. Could I have found a grocery store? Probably, but I was at the mercy of a family reunion and we were with other's most of the time. I did the best I could in the situation I was in. I thought later, I could have asked if they had any veggies to sub, but these little burger boardwalk joints were VERY basic. I stressed a lot this weekend, and I cannot guarantee that I officially made it out of the weekend staying Compliant. However, I have 12 days left, and I am going to finish this thing. I didn't cave and get ice cream, or an iced coffee, so I feel that it was a success.

It taught me a LOT about my upcoming trip to Disney, and I'm honestly worried. Just when you think mentally you are settling to the idea of eating this way, you are in gas stations with all kinds of foods that are so tempting. There were so many coffee drinks that caught my eye. I even went to grab some Cashews in one of them but alas, they had some kind of oil on them. I put them back and grabbed a banana, two hardboiled eggs, and a cup of fruit. While I'm glad I ate that, and nothing anything bad (non-compliant) I still kept thinking about my next trip and how hard and "depressing" it will be to bypass the good stuff. I clearly still have some work to do. In my day to day life, I'm fine. However, road trips have shown where my weakness is.

I need to be PREPARED. I have no idea what I was thinking this weekend. I know better, honestly.

So while it was a great trip, I felt like a major pain to everyone else by not being able to eat "convenient" foods that I could normally eat when not doing a whole30. I'm also afraid I'm going to crumble on my Disney vacation and undo EVERYTHING.

I really need a plan....

Still thinking here...

Depending on what happens in Disney, I may start another whole100 or SOMETHING when I get back. This has been great, and I'm clearly not ready to be done. I worry about post Whole100 life. Will I be able to still eat this way when I don't "HAVE" too? I have no idea. It's getting so close to being over, and I am actually REALLY happy and proud of myself for getting through this weekend. There was so much tempting food/drinks. I know now that I CAN do it, but I'm afraid if I'm not following this program, I'll have nothing to hold me to it.

I've lost over a pants size by doing NOTHING more than changing the way I eat. This is huge for me. I've been struggling with weight loss since my daughter was born, and even before. I KNOW that if I start adding crappy foods back in, I'm going to be back in my "fat pants". I know that the food is not worth it, so why is it so hard mentally? UGH!

I think you did a great job! Wow. Not caving and having the iced coffees and icecream etc is a huge accomplishment. Don't beat yourself up. Not only did you pass up the treats, you were able to realize you still have some work to do. One day it will be easier for you to pass those things up, you won't get depressed when in those situations. But it's a process. Maybe next time you'll find a grocery store and be a little happier, or maybe you won't, but you will have the knowledge of this trip to carry you on to the next one.

Your trip to Disney can be a success because you are setting yourself up for it now! Enough said, you should be really really proud. Good luck in the next 12 days!

I think you did a great job! Wow. Not caving and having the iced coffees and icecream etc is a huge accomplishment. Don't beat yourself up. Not only did you pass up the treats, you were able to realize you still have some work to do. One day it will be easier for you to pass those things up, you won't get depressed when in those situations. But it's a process. Maybe next time you'll find a grocery store and be a little happier, or maybe you won't, but you will have the knowledge of this trip to carry you on to the next one.

Your trip to Disney can be a success because you are setting yourself up for it now! Enough said, you should be really really proud. Good luck in the next 12 days!

Thank you!! Really needed to hear this today!

Day 89.

11 DAYS LEFT.

Hubby and I went to the store last night and STOCKED up! I'm feeling a little more positive now that we have a kitchen full of food. It's amazing that difference that can make for me mentally. I really wish I could buy the Uncured Applegate hotdogs locally, but I can't. I have to drive at least 30 minutes and that is such a bummer. They are quick and easy when I don't feel like making a full blown meal.

Really need to start upping my water intake. I didn't have nearly enough yesterday. I drink two cups of tea in the morning, and then usually drink water the rest of the day.

I told my husband we need to slowly start stocking up on Paleo snacks for the car ride to Disney. I want to try some Rx Bars. I know these are snacky but while being in the car 8-10 hours a day for four days total of the 9 we will be traveling, I know they have to better than candy bars, or a  bag of chips. They are not around here at all either. I have to order them, and you can't just order ONE! You have to order an entire box. Bummer.  

Stocking up on healthy food is like an injection of paleo positivity, isn't it!

I don't have much time to write today, but I wanted to say that you stayed as compliant as possible on your trip to the shore, and you learned some things that you can use for your trip to Disneyland. (Like to take more than one bag of Epic Bites on a long car ride!)

Keep going, sista! You're my inspiration.

Stocking up on healthy food is like an injection of paleo positivity, isn't it!

I don't have much time to write today, but I wanted to say that you stayed as compliant as possible on your trip to the shore, and you learned some things that you can use for your trip to Disneyland. (Like to take more than one bag of Epic Bites on a long car ride!)

Keep going, sista! You're my inspiration.

Thank you Julie! I did feel like I did the best I could do but there was room for improvement while looking back on it. I'm going to try to do better when we go to Disney World, but I won't be on the Whole100 anymore so I'm just afraid I won't hold myself to it. I've had will power of steel for the past 89 days. Why am I wavering now?

Day 90!

Wow. Ten days left. It's hard to believe.

We had some really good dinner last night. Chicken tenderloins with seasoning and paleo mayo with shredded brussel sprouts in ghee. Yum!!!

This morning I had broccoli slaw sautéed in olive oil with eggs mixed in. It was yummy. Lunch will be more chicken with mayo, carrots with ghee, and a sweet potato. I also brought some hard boiled eggs.

My mom wants me to come to her husbands family reunion this weekend, and I honestly don't know if I want to go. It's been super hot and it's going to be outside. I'm not sure I want to go. There will be a pig roast, but corn and  something else I'm pretty sure I can't have. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do.

I really want to keep my water intake up this week like I said, and cut down on some of the bloat I picked up at the beach!

you can do it !!!   I'm sorry to hear that your beach experience wasn't exactly what you hoped.

I always have fresh veggies cut up, some nuts, or nut butter, a bit of fruit, and hard boiled eggs for any car ride - then I can eat and know I am totally ok and.. I'm not going to pass out because of hunger !!  I know it takes a bit of planning - but it does work. .....   That is how I survived driving from WI to GA and then onto FL.

when you go to FL - can you bring in items ??   I have not been there in forever - so not sure what the rules are.   maybe you throw a lunch cooler in the stroller and fill with some of those items to save you when you are in dire straights.

Can't wait to hear how your reintro goes !!  

Tina, yes! I believe you can bring stuff into Disney World, but with HOW HOT it's going to be in September, I really couldn't bring anything that was going to spoil in the hot sun! I'm not going to attempt Whole30 in Disney, and not even sure I'm going to be Paleo, but I'm going to try my hardest to make RATIONAL decisions about what goes into my mouth. I will try to opt for steak/meat/ & veggies wherever that is possible and try not to indulge more than once a day. I do plan on taking a cooler of stuff in the car with me for the way down ( 2 whole days in the car one way) and my mom said she'd like to go shopping for healthy food before we go. She wants to do better too.

Day 92.

I've given a little bit of thought to Disney and realized that I cannot be terrified to go somewhere because of food. (don't get me wrong, I'm very excited, but I've been really anxious about it!) What it comes down to is ME making the decision to what I eat! I need to just take what I've learned and put it to the test.

The whole reason I extended my Whole30 to 100 days was because In the past I was literally just counting down until it was over so that I could get back to the way I was eating. That makes NO SENSE. Why even do the Whole30 if that is how you feel about it?  I wasn't learning anything, and looked at it as an annoyance rather than a learning tool! I knew deep down that I needed to eat this way, but I guess I just wasn't ready to dig in and do it 100%, With 92 days behind me, I see that I can do it, and how much my body has benefitted from it. I just need to carry on with it... have a treat here and there but not use something as an excuse every single day. Before I started this, we had just moved into a new apartment. I had given SEVERAL stabs at AIP whole30 because of my Hashi's diagnosis, and just couldn't do it. It was SOOO restrictive. I would sit down at night and eat 2 or 3 (!!!!) Bologna and mayo sandwiches on gluten free bread. GROSS! Then the weekend we actually moved we lived off of terrible food because the house was a mess. I was snacking on three musketeers and all the starbucks bottled drinks. I went in a downward spiral fast. I just ate junk all day. Once I have sugar a black hole opens and pulls me right in. THIS is what I want to get away from.

I've already told the Hubby that I will no longer buy and gluten free convenience meals of any kind. No packaged meals or snacks. No gluten free cookies, crackers, ect which really kind of sucked in the beginning because our local ALDI started selling all KINDS of awesome gluten free goodies that they didn't carry in MAY when I started. LOL. I think it was sort of a blessing or else I'd have probably never started this Whole100.

I think that's a great mental reset, Britt. The goal of the Whole30 for us is supposed to be food freedom rather than terror! And it's not good if anxiety about what to eat ruins what should be a wonderful family experience.

I did a quick Google, and there are actually a lot of blogs that talk about how to eat paleo at Disneyworld. That might be a more achievable goal for your vacation, especially if you allow yourself the occasional non-paleo thing that your body tolerates. (Although some of the recommendations seem to require fancy sit down restaurants).

http://www.thepaleobaker.com/eating-paleo-at-disney-world/

http://www.whatigather.com/2012/05/paleo-eating-at-disney-world.html

Day 92.

I've given a little bit of thought to Disney and realized that I cannot be terrified to go somewhere because of food. (don't get me wrong, I'm very excited, but I've been really anxious about it!) What it comes down to is ME making the decision to what I eat! I need to just take what I've learned and put it to the test.

The whole reason I extended my Whole30 to 100 days was because In the past I was literally just counting down until it was over so that I could get back to the way I was eating. That makes NO SENSE. Why even do the Whole30 if that is how you feel about it?  I wasn't learning anything, and looked at it as an annoyance rather than a learning tool! I knew deep down that I needed to eat this way, but I guess I just wasn't ready to dig in and do it 100%, With 92 days behind me, I see that I can do it, and how much my body has benefitted from it. I just need to carry on with it... have a treat here and there but not use something as an excuse every single day. Before I started this, we had just moved into a new apartment. I had given SEVERAL stabs at AIP whole30 because of my Hashi's diagnosis, and just couldn't do it. It was SOOO restrictive. I would sit down at night and eat 2 or 3 (!!!!) Bologna and mayo sandwiches on gluten free bread. GROSS! Then the weekend we actually moved we lived off of terrible food because the house was a mess. I was snacking on three musketeers and all the starbucks bottled drinks. I went in a downward spiral fast. I just ate junk all day. Once I have sugar a black hole opens and pulls me right in. THIS is what I want to get away from.

I've already told the Hubby that I will no longer buy and gluten free convenience meals of any kind. No packaged meals or snacks. No gluten free cookies, crackers, ect which really kind of sucked in the beginning because our local ALDI started selling all KINDS of awesome gluten free goodies that they didn't carry in MAY when I started. LOL. I think it was sort of a blessing or else I'd have probably never started this Whole100.

I would never have thought about doing a 100 day challenge if it wasn't for you!  I really, really appreciate that you're sharing the journey with me.  I hope you'll stay on the forum after the 100 so we can keep encouraging each other.  

Isn't it weird to think about how mindlessly we used to eat?  And what "convenience food" does to our bodies and minds?  My sandwich of choice was PB&J's.  What am I, twelve??  I would justify having 2 or 3 of them because the jelly was sugar free.  Yikes.

You're going to be fine in Disney.  I hope you'll focus on having FUN with your family!  You'll be prepared in the car (better than your beach trip) and thoughtful about your choices so that you can feel your best while you're there.  When you get back you'll reset whatever you need to and carry on.  

Go for a happy run, girl!  You've got this!   ;)

I second that !  You have done a great reset for your body - and what a learning experience it is !!  Don't let food dictate your every move in life - make the best choices, own the bad choices and move on !!

You have done wonderfully - and you are an inspiration!

Day 95.

Thank you all SO much for the kind words!! I really appreciate it, and logging in here on Monday mornings after the weekend, is something I really look forward too! You guys keep me accountable! Don't anyone worry! I am not going ANYWHERE after my Whole100. I will make a POST Journal, and keep on going!!

I will say that I got on the scale this weekend.. One just happened to present itself, and I jumped on. I am down another 2.4 lbs!!! This means I've lost 6.7 lbs since my Whole100 started! I am quite ecstatic with this as it's been IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose weight. This actually gave me the encouragement that I need to keep GOING! When my Whole100 is finished, I'm going to stay very close to the Whole30 style rules. I need to keep my weight loss going. I want to be 157 by vacation, and that's only 4 lbs! I know we aren't supposed to worry much about the weight loss but 157 is what I weighed when I found out I was pregnant, and I've been trying SO HARD to get back to this weight. It's been a HUGE GOAL for me, and I'm about to do it! There is no way now I can add junk back into my diet! I can't.

I can't believe I only have this week, and then I'm done.

Day 96.

Doing good mentally! Haven't really been thinking about the end much at all, I guess because I plan on mostly staying how I've been with some slight changes. I don't think any of them will be big enough to make much of a difference (bacon/sausage with added sugar) ect.

Husband said the other day "ooh! We can make gluten free banana bread when you are done!" and I said "uh.. not really. I don't  plan on eating grains very much at all" and he just kind of looked at me. I think he thought after 100 days that I'd be going back to some of the stuff I ate before. I think he's kind of disappointed. I've never told him once he can't have anything, but it's like he won't feel AS bad eating junk as long as I'm eating it. Sorry, dear. Isn't going to happen!

Day 97.

4 more days!

I'm  really starting to dig brussel sprout again! We found bags of shredded Brussels at Walmart and I've been sautéing them in olive oil! So yummy!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Just talked with coworkers about those today.  I'm anxious to try them.  I had them when I was younger and thought they were bitter.  They probably just weren't cooked right

Day 98!!

3. Days.

Wow!

Sunday is day 101, and technically I will be finished. We will probably go to the store tonight, and I'm not thinking I'm going to buy anything different, other than bacon! I might get ONE coffee drink with minimal ingredients (Chameleon Brew!) or I may just get some cream for our regular coffee. I really don't know. I honestly don't even want to think about it!!!

I measured my waist the other day and I appeared to have lost two inches! WOOT! I always worry though that I'm not measuring the exact same spot, but it's okay. I think it's close enough.  

I do want to borrow a scale and weigh myself on Sunday morning to get my "official" results. I'm just slightly worried that it'll be up from the last time I weighed. Oh well. That's the risk I take. After that, no scale again. I do not own one and that in and of itself is a GREAT victory. Throwing it in the dumpster was the best idea!

Does anyone know how to add a link to your journal in your signature? I want to link to this journal in my siggy when I move on to my POST journal. I have no idea how to do it!

Archived