Leg cramp question

I sometimes have problems with foot and leg cramps in my left leg.

Doing this program I have realized that I have many more cramps when I am Whole 30 than when I am not. I take potassium and magnesium supplements.

Could this be a sodium issue or does anyone have any other ideas?

Could this be a sodium issue?

If you're already taking magnesium & potassium supplements then I'd guess sodium. Salt your food - you'll be taking a lot less salt on board during a whole30 than you would eating processed foods.

• Moderators

I have gone through phases of leg cramps even when I am salting my food generously, eating foods rich in magnesium and potassium, and taking magnesium and potassium supplements. The cramps trouble me for a few weeks and then disappear completely for months before they trouble me again.  

• 1 month later...

An old "remedy", told to me by a doctor and also discussed on "The Dr. Oz Show" is to take a teaspoon of prepared mustard and swallow it whole.  It works!!  Whenever anyone in our family gets leg or hand cramps, we just take the teaspoon of mustard and they disappear within minutes.  It also helps to carry the little mustard packets around for "emergencies".  Someone told me that pickle juice will also work but I've never tried it.  Good luck.

An old "remedy", told to me by a doctor and also discussed on "The Dr. Oz Show" is to take a teaspoon of prepared mustard and swallow it whole.  It works!!  Whenever anyone in our family gets leg or hand cramps, we just take the teaspoon of mustard and they disappear within minutes.  It also helps to carry the little mustard packets around for "emergencies".  Someone told me that pickle juice will also work but I've never tried it.  Good luck.

I'm pretty sure this is just because mustard and pickle juice contain a lot of salt. Salt your food generously (use good quality sea salt) and that should help.

• 1 month later...

I take epsom salt baths that help with my leg cramps. My holistic Nurse practitioner said I need magnesium, potassium and lots of vitamin d as well as several other supplements and I need to watch and make sure that I don't take too much calcium without an equal or greater amount of magnesium. Sometimes when I exercise a lot, my magnesium and potassium gets depleted. Perhaps you are taking the right supplements but not in the right dosages or combinations.

Archived