Starting May 11th

Debzella

OK thanks to all who tipped how to add photos I am goinf to give it a try at the end of this post.

Hi Kathy Seattle I think I forgot to mention you in my earlier post and sorry to anyone else I left out.

Well true to form it is after midnight and I am not in bed really need to work on that but the upside of that is .... ta dad it is now day 30 ... can you believe it?

roll on day 31 I want to get on those scales.

Sometimes I look and think Oh yes I have lost and then other times I look and think hmmmm not as much as i thought/wanted/needed!!! Anyway weight was not my major motivator - I wanted to feel happier, healthier and not so tired and I have done all that - still eating fruit but I am happy doing that too - will try to address that one down the road a little.

here goes - hopefully you will see Customs House and the Opera House decorated with lights as well as a shot of the Harbour bridge and Opera House prior to sunset. If you don't see them - you will just have to use your imagination!!! :)

post-69143-0-29593900-1433775146_thumb.j

post-69143-0-75968900-1433775178_thumb.j

post-69143-0-39561400-1433775182_thumb.j

post-69143-0-04671000-1433775184_thumb.j

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful pictures, Bricky!!!

I can't believe today is Day 29 -- co-workers are telling me to just give in but I'm not! Feeling good again today -- I actually had to go to Target yesterday and return a pair of pants I bought a couple weeks ago because they were too big! I exchanged them for a smaller size and I was so surprise...went from a 14 to a 10!!!!! This is a BIG deal...now, they were jean leggings, so they were stretchy, but STILL. NSV! I guess my body is changing :)

I still want to keep going 99% of the time...on D31, I'm going to try dairy again to see if it really has a huge impact on my body. That is really the only main thing I'm missing. After that, I'll try some liquor on Friday....then keep on keeping on to get to my overall goals. Whoop whoop!

Has anyone else shopped online at vitacost.com?  I found the site just around the time I started this journey and they have great low cost stuff that we all use, especially on whole 30.  The spices are really inexpensive and they have things like Red Boat Fish sauce, coconut aminos, refined and unrefined coconut oil, etc...

Thank you all  re my cat.  We are traveling quite a bit this summer so it's good she got sick before we left.  I would have felt worse if I couldn't have been there when she died. 

Yes I have shopped vitacost.com.  It's been a while tho.  I used to buy the ghee from them.  They had the best price I could find online.  Not sure if it's still a reasonable price.  I also get coupons in my email inbox for them too..   

I stuck to my guns yesterday at the picnic.  It was really hard for some reason.  Some of my favorite foods were there.  A coconut cake that looked amazing!  But I did well, just ate  burger wrapped in lettuce, brought my own mayo.  Made the potato salad.  Didn't get a salad done...  and that is all I could eat.  I ekpt rationalizing that I didn't HAVE to make it to  30 days.  But then I realized I'd be really dissapointed if I caved.  So I stayed outside and played and played..  introduced my oldest to volleyball.  I think it's going to be one of his favorite outdoor games.  Which is great since I love it too!  When we got home we moved the swing set and used it as a "net" lol

So even tho I'm a little sunburned, at least digestively I'm okay!  :)

Have a great week guys!  Not sure I will be able to respond for at least a week.  But I'll check back with you all! 

M1 9:30 fried eggs + sweet potato hash browns (made w japanese sweet potatoes YUM! - thanks for recco whoever on this forum brought those to my attention!)

M2 1:30 chocolate chilli + sautéed cauliflower

M3 6:30 chocolate chilli + sautéed cauliflower

St. Sophia - Japanese sweet potatoes are AMAZING! I still eat the occasional regular sweet potato but the Japanese usually take the lead! 

That's something else I have loved about this experiment -- There are so many countless whole foods out there and I can't wait to try as many as possible! I have always loved vegetables, even as a kid, but I definitely limited myself in terms of variety. It has been great to open the door to a lot of different things. I also rarely ate meat and I was convinced that my body was better because of it. Man, has this past 29 days stomped that theory! Whole, high quality animal protein is where it's at!! I do the best I can in regards to chicken (usually get organic) and eggs (usually organic as well) but I don't know if I will ever be able to go back to eating beef that is not grass-fed. Man, what a difference!! It is true what they tell you "You are what you eat eats." 

Feeling good today but I still need to work on getting more sleep. 5-6 hrs a night is not cutting it and it's starting to catch up to me. I had a lot of energy at the gym this morning but have felt a little foggy all day. I attribute that to lack of sleep and not what I've been eating. 

Went to one of my favorite Mexican restaurants for a friend's going away dinner. I kind of knew I would not be able to find much that was compliant but I was not about to make a stink about it and make everyone go to a different restaurant. The chips and salsa were flowing as soon as we sat down and everything there is authentic and home made -- so good! I tried to find some sort of salad on the menu but I got too paranoid about how they cooked their chicken and even what was in their salsa and guacamole (which I'm sure was fine) so I decided it was best to enjoy the company and eat dinner from my fully stocked kitchen at home. The closer to Day 30 we get, the more I don't want to screw this reset up!! 

I don't know if I lost any weight throughout this journey, which is okay, and not the main reason I took on this process of elimination. I would like to loose a little more fat from problem areas but that may just take more than 30 days. I plan on taking everything I have learned from this and running with it. There is no way I could go back to eating the way I used to after learning how much better I feel when I eat real food. My whole attitude and outlook on food has changed and it is worth it just for that!

Have a great rest of the day everyone!!

Sadly, I've not been able to find Japanese sweet potatoes yet!!!  I still love the "regular" ones though so I'm ok with it.  I agree with you init2winit, I've experimented so much over the last 30 days with recipes, ways of cooking, types of meat and veggies and its been so cool.  This weekend I made the Scotch Eggs from Well Fed.  So odd and so good!  I also made the beef stew from her (Melissa Joulwan's) blog b/c we got really good stew beef on sale and it was out of this world.  Thick and velvety with chunks of beef and potatoes.  WOW.  Now, I've got beets and parsnips and butternut squash to roast up tonight!  I've roasted lots of things, but never beets!

Sadly, I've not been able to find Japanese sweet potatoes yet!!!  I still love the "regular" ones though so I'm ok with it.  I agree with you init2winit, I've experimented so much over the last 30 days with recipes, ways of cooking, types of meat and veggies and its been so cool.  This weekend I made the Scotch Eggs from Well Fed.  So odd and so good!  I also made the beef stew from her (Melissa Joulwan's) blog b/c we got really good stew beef on sale and it was out of this world.  Thick and velvety with chunks of beef and potatoes.  WOW.  Now, I've got beets and parsnips and butternut squash to roast up tonight!  I've roasted lots of things, but never beets!

Staci - You're in for a treat! LOVE roasted beets!! 

I've roasted lots of things, but never beets!

I second Init -- YUM! I'm having them tonight for dinner along with the chocolate chilli (another yum). I've never cooked beets any other way - how do you normally cook them?

eating every 5 hours, drinking lots of water, and so far today have had pretty consistent energy. nothing sky high, but perhaps the beginning of something new? I also had a demitasse of regular coffee after lunch, which hit the spot. 

Monday nights I go home to watch TV with my little sister (she's 19) and my parents, i'm really happy to see her while she's home from college. I'm having dinner now, to avoid all that finagling with other people when I get up there. No matter how clean other people/ restaurants are with their food -- like init2 says -- you just don't know, and right now, DAY 27, it's easier to be safe than worried. 

Have a good night all!

Day 15, seems like yesterday when I started this journey. Everything continues to go smoothly and I'm looking forward to discovering new things about myself as the journey continues. I'm getting a little bored with my dinners, what are your favorite meals that you've had in the last 28-29 days?

Congrats to all who are wrapping up your Whole30 you've been a true inspiration to me.

Have a great evening...gotta go watch my beloved Chicago Blackhawks hockey game.

Coming to the end of day 29 and I just re-read the reintroduction phase. I'm going with the Slow Roll introduction. On day 31, my dear mother-in-law turns 90! The family is making homemade pizza but I'm sticking with a compliant meal and will celebrate with a small glass of red wine. Then back to W30 until something really peaks my interest. My goal is to be W30 most of the time, with a small treat every now and then.

In 2013 I turned to Paleo to help me with a new diagnosis of pre-diabetes, as well as Gerd. I was a sugarholic and carb addict. I was also 75 lbs overweight. Getting that diagnosis was a wake-up call. Diabetes runs in my family, and those family members are just miserable. I was lucky to find the Paleo diet and it was a life saver. I lost 50 lbs in less than a year and my blood sugar has been normal ever since. Gerd went away as well. Last summer I started "cheating" more and more and before I knew it was back to my old eating habits 50% of the time. The pounds were creeping back on and my old heartburn was starting up again. Since the fall I've been trying to be strictly Paleo but couldn't beat the sugar dragon. Luckily I remembered reading about the W30 in 2013 and figured it may be time to bite the bullet and try this. (even though it scared the poop out of me!) It was just what I needed. I am SO THANKFUL for this program, this forum, and every single one of you for your support, comraderie, tough love, and sense of humor. My sugar dragon has been slayed and I have zero cravings. My head is clear and I'm focused on the goal of good health.

You guys are the best!

Happy Last Day tomorrow!

Changed my profile picture to my Day 30 picture compare that to my Day 1 pic attached - wow!!!!

have a wonderful day everyone - I will check in again tonight and tomorrow after I have checked the scales and tape measure .... so excited. I have my first treat for day 31 - I purchased a custard apple - never had one - and I am going to have it tomorrow. Re everything else I don't really think I have missed anything that much - a glass of nice red wine would be good with a steak but I am not ready yet. Have a fabulous day 30, Day 16, and whatever days some of you are on. It feels great to have got to Day 30 .... I really did not think I would get there ... so thankful for this forum, for the advice, humour, honesty and friendship I have experienced doing this journey with all of you. Feeling the love  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

post-69143-0-98174200-1433821049_thumb.j 

$$$@@@@!!!!

Here I am making dinner on the evening of Day 30 - Artichoke Lemon Pesto Chicken Pasta http://paleomg.com/artichoke-lemon-pesto-chicken-pasta/ 

I was going to make this about a week ago but all the tinned artichoke had sugar in it so when I saw the bottled artichoke in Costco without sugar I was so excited. On with my tale of woe ... I sampled the artichoke as I spooned it into the bowl as it is a new food for me and hubby and I wanted to be sure it tasted OK - tasted great - read the recipe further and it asked for olive oil - I thought I will use the already herb infused oil from the artichokes that will be nice. went to the fridge pulled out the jar read the label (how many times has this been mentioned in the book, on this forum) vegetable oil!!!!!!!! Hubby said 'oh it can't matter on the last meal of day 30' I siad 'that's not what the book says'. anyway I have decided as I was planning to continue eating this way easing up for social events that I am not starting over ... rather like Debz ... I am continuing. what happened to the artichokes? I decided to go ahead and cook the recipe - I washed as much oil off as I could and continued using olive oil. I still feel proud of my achievements and love all the things I have learned and hopefully will move forward reading all labels before use or consumption from now on.  

Bricky - found this on another forum post:

Canola Oil: Yes, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

Just wanted to make sure you saw that is is discouraged but not completely off limits, I think. 

I don't want you going through your Day 30 feeling down on yourself!!  ;)  :wub:

Day 27 for me! However, I'm feeling off... I'm not really sure. I guess I'm not eating nearly enough as I'm still nursing my daughter. I've trying my hardest to sneak in that extra meal in, but I just can't stomach it. My work schedule revolves around 3 meals and I'm trying to sneak in 2 meals in the evening. I started taking the vitamins I was on for my headaches (CoQ10, B2 and Magnesium) to see if this will help. I don't feel very energized and find myself skipping out on my lunch walk because of weak/sluggish feelings. I am not sure why I'm feeling like this. Then this morning I had a some (tmi) diarrhea. I did eat a bunch of leafy greens yesterday, more then I normally did. I did end up making some starchy veggies last night because I felt so sluggish. They did help. Anyone else feeling like this? Of course my mother is telling me my sugar is too low with this new 'diet'.  <_<

Bricky - found this on another forum post:

Just wanted to make sure you saw that is is discouraged but not completely off limits, I think. 

I don't want you going through your Day 30 feeling down on yourself!!  ;)  :wub:

Thank you Init2winit very much - I was not really feeling down but a bit disapointed - feeling much better after reading that  :rolleyes:

DAY 30 !!!!!!

WE DID IT

WE DID IT

WE DID IT

well, almost, just make it through today peeps!

Can't wait to see the numbers tomorrow!

Bricky- you'll be the first to post! Can't wait to see your results! The new you looks Fab!

Have a wonderful healthy day!!!

Bricky, what's a custard apple?  Whatever it is, it sounds decadent and delicious and something I must have!  Day 30 here and I'm gearing up for breakfast - more eggs with peppers, mushrooms and onions in them, with a little Frank's sprinkled on. Will people be posting their results tomorrow of their weigh-in?  I'm such a slave to the scale and the number does a number on my brain.  It really has been a lifetime battle of defining my self-worth by whatever the scale says.  I know I've lost something - inches or pounds because I'm down a pants size. I look better - clear eyes, bright skin but I haven't gotten any relief from my arthritis yet.  My Dr. wants me to stay gluten-free as that is supposed to help with inflammation, and since bread is such a trigger for me I agree I'll stay away from it.  I'm on so much medication for this, I'll try anything to make it better. It's another gorgeous day in Bellevue, perfect for a walk at lunchtime - trying to get my 10,000 steps in. Have a wonderful day everyone!

I'm also debating not weighing myself tomorrow. I feel so great! And my clothes are fitting better. And if I feel like I lost 10 lbs but only lost 5 lbs, I know I'll be disappointed, and that's so wrong!!! So I might just stay away from scale all together. 

Bricky, what's a custard apple?  Whatever it is, it sounds decadent and delicious and something I must have!  Day 30 here and I'm gearing up for breakfast - more eggs with peppers, mushrooms and onions in them, with a little Frank's sprinkled on. Will people be posting their results tomorrow of their weigh-in?  I'm such a slave to the scale and the number does a number on my brain.  It really has been a lifetime battle of defining my self-worth by whatever the scale says.  I know I've lost something - inches or pounds because I'm down a pants size. I look better - clear eyes, bright skin but I haven't gotten any relief from my arthritis yet.  My Dr. wants me to stay gluten-free as that is supposed to help with inflammation, and since bread is such a trigger for me I agree I'll stay away from it.  I'm on so much medication for this, I'll try anything to make it better. It's another gorgeous day in Bellevue, perfect for a walk at lunchtime - trying to get my 10,000 steps in. Have a wonderful day everyone!

Slave to the number on the scale - me too.  Ugh.  I feel amazing though!  

Kathi

The book says it may take longer for some folks to see arthritis symptoms diminish. When I was Paleo and Gluten Free I was able to stop taking glucosamine. Most of the knee and knuckle pain went away except during stormy weather.

My expectations on the scale are pretty low, so yes, I'll be weighing and posting my results. If it's even 5 lbs for me, that's ok. All I do know is I'm feeling so proud that I stuck to this even if I only lost one pound, that really doesn't matter. Screw the scale, look what WE DID FOR 30 DAYS!!!

Archived