Starting May 11th

Debzella

Phone is being wacky tonite!

Keeping this short.

My first introduction will be what I miss most and that's my 1/2 packet of Stevia in my coffee. But I'm going to cut it down to 1/4 or less. I'm sure it will be sweet enough after W30!

That's all I'm putting back for now. Everything else can STAY away!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just FYI, my sister and I went to a Texas Roadhouse when we were both doing a W30. We each did steak, sweet potato (dry), and salad. She asked for oil and vinegar for the salad, and the vinegar she got was definitely malt vinegar, something I never dreamed anyone would serve to put on a salad, and of course the one kind of vinegar that is definitely not W30 compliant. I don't know if that was a one-off thing, that the waitress grabbed the wrong stuff or didn't realize there's a difference or what, but it's got a pretty distinctive smell so you'd be able to tell if you do get served that. I'd opted for sliced lemons to squeeze over the salad which worked well.

What is up with that malt vinegar? Tonight I went out to dinner with a friend, and had a compliant dinner! Wonder of wonders! It was spice crusted baked salmon on a bed of vegetables sautéed in olive oil. No butter, no sugar, no soy, no anything. Simple and delicious. I asked for a side salad, with oil and vinegar, and they brought me olive oil and malt vinegar! I just used the oil, not the vinegar. 

My friend had two bloody mary's. I had sparkling water with an olive, lemon and lime. It was refreshing and looked like a cocktail. I forget who recommended that, but what a good idea.  :)

Things I've noticed since on the Whole30:

1) No more bloat in my face.

2) I have more energy

3) I'm more alert

4) I'm calmer

5) My clothes fit again

6) I don't snack. Ever.

7) No more heartburn! I used to keep antacids on my night stand.

8) My skin tone is better

9) I feel younger!

I was just reading about reintroduction in preparation.  I think, I am pretty likely to do it as planned in the template, since discovering sensitivity is one of my main W30 goals.  As a pescetarian (the biggest W30 conversion!), more protein options would be really useful.  That said, what I want most is cheese. Oh and heads up about the legumes intro, I read quite a few good posts that reference adding non-soy legumes and soy as two separate reintroduction days, since a lot of people have sensitivities to soy but not other legumes.  Also, I want to share this funny moment when I was thinking about the homemade sorbet I love to make.  I took a double take at the reintroduction list and thought "where is the day for sugar or alcohol?...... OH, I get it!". Sometimes I am a little slow, lol.

I also started on May 11th and finally found this forum so I'm sneaking in on the last week to the party.  I have had support in the form of co-workers at Microsoft who started with me - I got an email on Sunday that said "hey, we're starting a W30 tomorrow, want to join?" So, no prep or shopping; just jumped in.  I read It Starts with Food and have the new book, so I've got my references.  Swithy, the thing I really want is Justine's Almond Butter - maple.  I thought I would go for something exotic like corn on the cob, or a piece of toast but I've lost my craving for it.  I tried the maple almond butter previously and to me, it was a little glob of heaven on a delicious Honey crisp apple...

Welcome, Kathiseattle! 

It's so crazy we're in our last week! At the beginning I thought the last week would never come, but like many of you have stated, I've started to lose count! Never thought I'd be saying that. On day 31, I'm planning on making a margarita with limes and frozen raspberries and strawberries, but I want to keep the rest of my food compliant. I'm very interested in seeing how certain foods/drinks affect me. 

I have missed my Mexican food a lot - and the oooey-gooey-cheese! But I'm planning on staying away from that for awhile. I've just been feeling too good and I don't want to screw it up. 

After my margarita, I plan to reintro certain legumes first. 

Here are some of my NSV's:

1. Skin is radiant & glowing

2. I have consistent energy levels - no more afternoon crashes

3. No belly bloat at all

4. Entire body is less puffy

5. I'm sleeping like a baby and waking up energized (what?!?)

6. Jeans are fitting so, so much better

7. I feel happier!

8. No stomach issues at all (aside from days 3-4)

9. I've had maybe 3 headaches over the past 24 days which is saying a LOT for me because I used to get headaches daily or every other day

10. No cramps before period, no PMS symptoms and no migraines!!!!

11. Tolerating black coffee (still not my favorite, but I never thought I'd be able to enjoy it)

12. More focused at work

wow..... typing all of those out forces me to see how amazing this is!!! Sooooo glad I'm doing this. 

Bricky - Do you have Celestial Seasonings tea in Australia? They have a Bengal Spice that is really good. I like it at night. It's very warming, with cinnamon and other spices, and a touch of rooibos. Oh, and what is mince? It sounds good. 

St. Sophia - Pizza Spaghetti Pie??? Yes! Do you have a recipe for the chicken and veg coconut curry soup? That sounds so good. It's been really cold here. I'm craving soup.

Yesterday, I went to an open air market and bought the most incredible vegetables. I can't wait to cook them! Last night I invented a new way to cook potatoes. At least, new for me. lol… I boiled baby potatoes until they were tender inside, and then drained them, and smooshed them slightly with a spatula so that they were flat on each side, (not too much or they'll break apart…) then I sautéed them in ghee with some salt and pepper. Amazing! Crisp and browned on each side like little potato burgers. 

Thanks Debz I will look for that tea. Those potatoes you cooked sound like what we call smashed potatoes we cook them a little in their jackets then smash 'em with a masher drizzle some oil and season with herbs, salt and pepper etc and bake until they are crisp - often done on the BBQ ... really yum.

The brekky mince I made up and not sure I can remember everything I think it was minced turkey mixed with roasted sweet potato, capsicums - all colours cause I love 'em all, zuchini, carrot, garlic, tin diced tomatoes, paprika, chili, cumin. cooked in a frypan with ghee on stovetop and topped with a poached egg - or I have also made a well in the meat and cooked the egg right in the pan with the mince. was really yummy.

Good morning friends!

Deb - I've been doing early morning workouts for several years now.  I know it seems like it is so early, but it is such an amazing way to start the day!  Once you get into the habit, it is hard to skip.  The best part is it is done and over with and I don't think about exercise the rest of the day.  Love it!

On breakfast, think about making a big frittata or breakfast casserole on the weekend to just heat and eat throughout the week.  I also made a batch of sausage patties that have been great for the mornings.

Well, I had my first food dreams last night.  First it was candy.  I know this is because the girls bought some airheads (fruity chewy taffy candy) yesterday and they are definitely a food without breaks for me.  I woke up in a panic and fell back asleep just to indulge in chicken strips!  I'm not even a big chicken strip fan.  I couldn't understand in my dream why I ate them. 

One of my gym buddies who has been closely following me commented today that I look like I've lost weight.  I'll think more on my NSV's and post later.  Gotta take the girls to the dentist today.  Wish me luck!

thanks Jmn for starting this one - I feel amazing ... let me count the ways

1. bloat has gone from face and neck
  2. boobs have changed and no longer look like a shelf in formt of me!
  3. Lost fat around stomach and midriff (need to loose more yet) 
  4. can wear a pair of jeans - have spent the past 2 years or so in yoga pants
  5. energy levels better but no wild feline yet
  6. sex - what is that? - hopefully coming soon  :rolleyes: he has been more attentive might help if we kept the same hours!
  7. skin feels wonderful, soft and not dry and itching has subsided
  8. hair looks good
  9. skin looks clear and eyes sparkle again
  10. my reliance on alcohol at social gatherings is gone - I don't need it - this is huge for me - I was very shy when I was young and used to drink to come out of my shell then it became habit!
  11. My head is clear - my memory has improved
  12. I feel ...... happy and content
  13. I feel taller  :P must be holding and carrying myself better
  14. I feel 'lighter'and more comfortable
  15. sleeping better but still going to bed late (it is 11.47pm as I write this post)

Went out to chicks at the flicks tonight (Aloha - a bit ho hum I gave it a 5 out of 10) went to the local pub (hotel) for dinner and quite happily had mineral water, steak, double serve salad no fires, took my own BBQ sauce for the steak and cumin lime dressing for the salad and took some almonds and dates to have with my bottle of water in the show as I sat between my daughter and friend eating popcorn and ice cream!!! 

I think I will reintroduce bacon - have not been able to find a sugarless one. and of course looking forward to some wine and cheese but I will wait until I go out for that I think don't want to have it at home and slip into a routine with it! Might be nice to have a chocolate too (note did you see that 'a" chocolate - not 3 or 6 or half a block just a chocolate)

Welcome kathiseattle

Well done everyone, the end (of this 30) is nigh ....

Day 24 - Good morning! 

thanks Jmn for starting this one - I feel amazing ... let me count the ways

1. bloat has gone from face and neck
  2. boobs have changed and no longer look like a shelf in formt of me!
  3. Lost fat around stomach and midriff (need to loose more yet) 
  4. can wear a pair of jeans - have spent the past 2 years or so in yoga pants
  5. energy levels better but no wild feline yet
  6. sex - what is that? - hopefully coming soon  :rolleyes: he has been more attentive might help if we kept the same hours!
  7. skin feels wonderful, soft and not dry and itching has subsided
  8. hair looks good
  9. skin looks clear and eyes sparkle again
  10. my reliance on alcohol at social gatherings is gone - I don't need it - this is huge for me - I was very shy when I was young and used to drink to come out of my shell then it became habit!
  11. My head is clear - my memory has improved
  12. I feel ...... happy and content
  13. I feel taller  :P must be holding and carrying myself better
  14. I feel 'lighter'and more comfortable
  15. sleeping better but still going to bed late (it is 11.47pm as I write this post)

Welcome kathiseattle

Well done everyone, the end (of this 30) is nigh ....

Haha…. Bricky, I noticed the same thing with my… er… Boobage. They're definitely not bloated anymore either. The wonderment of NSVs!  :)

I think the first thing I'll introduce is plain greek yogurt. I really miss it with blueberries and nuts. 

If someone would have asked me 2weeks ago, what I would reintroduce first, I would have said wine. But, I don't think so anymore. I can see now that it was beginning to be a "thing without breaks". And I would overeat on cheese and crackers, and basically any food, with it. Wine fueled overeating, and overeating fueled over-wine-ing. A vicious circle. I don't want to go down that road again.

I think that's what they mean when they say Whole30 is life changing.  ;)

Breakfast today was 3 eggs fried in ghee, with fried tomatoes and lemon slices. I love grilled or pan-fried lemon. It is delicious. 

Lunch - leftover chocolate chili and an apple

Dinner - I am going to man up and take that dang empty propane tank to the store and bring home a new one, because I need to have that steak I've been talking about for the last three days! I'll have it with grilled eggplant, and a sweet potato. 

Happy day everyone!  :)

hi everyone!  day 3 for me!  i'm feeling the love of this WOE for sure!  i totally have more energy and i'm not really hungry in between meals at all!  only a little bit here and there and the only thing i've had in between was a piece of fruit or some almonds.  but i'm going to try to cut that out too and just drink more water.  i don't know if it's in my mind but my face seems to look less bloated already and i'm feeling lighter!  so onward i go!  i thought my book was supposed to come yesterday but it didn't.  boo on that!  so i'm hoping today!  i knew i should have paid the extra few bucks to have it over-nighted!  oh well, i'm banging along just fine....with all the help from my friends here!  i've been trying to read all the posts.  to all who are winding down on your 30 days....that includes my darling friend deb....i am soooo inspired by what you are seeing and feeling.  the no bloat, clothes fitting better, not wanting to bring back certain things right away even though you can, no headaches or migraines, etc.  this is all so wonderful to read!  deb said to me the other day, "this has been life changing for me"!  i can see why!  i'm soooo thankful that she turned me on to this and to this site!  it's a definite life line!  thank you to all and keep on rockin' sister and brother friends!  YOU ALL ROCK MY WORLD!!!!  xo,  :)  :wub:

hi everyone!  day 3 for me!  i'm feeling the love of this WOE for sure!  i totally have more energy and i'm not really hungry in between meals at all!  only a little bit here and there and the only thing i've had in between was a piece of fruit or some almonds, and i must admit some rainsins (i love them but i know i should be eating them with meals not as a snack).  but i'm going to try to cut these few snacks out and just drink more water.  i think the snacking thing is all in my mind.  so i have to cut it out NOW!  anyways, i don't know if it's in my mind but my face seems to look less bloated already and i'm feeling lighter!  so onward i go!  i thought my book was supposed to come yesterday but it didn't.  boo on that!  so i'm hoping today!  i knew i should have paid the extra few bucks to have it over-nighted!  oh well, i'm banging along just fine....with all the help from my friends here!  i've been trying to read all the posts.  to all who are winding down on your 30 days....that includes my darling friend deb....i am soooo inspired by what you are seeing and feeling.  the no bloat, clothes fitting better, not wanting to bring back certain things right away even though you can, no snacking, no headaches or migraines, etc.  this is all so wonderful to read!  deb said to me the other day, "robbyn....this has been life changing for me"!  i can see why!  i'm soooo thankful that she turned me on to this and to this site!  it's a definite life line!  thank you to all and keep on rockin' sister and brother friends!  YOU ALL ROCK MY WORLD!!!!  xo,  :)  :wub:

Hello All!

Day 24....I'm a little sleepy today and a little ornery, I even have a slight headache...not sure why, but I guess that's just the way things go sometimes...life is life. I did get up this morning and get the dog walked and headed to work with all my prepped food. Of course, there is yet again more crap at the sharing table....ugh. It hasn't been bugging me much but it must be my mood, because it's staring at me today and I DON'T EVEN WANT IT. Then I get bothered with people come up to me forcing me to snack on things that I actually can have but don't want because it's almost time for lunch and I'm not even hungry. End Debbie Downer.

I definitely have been seeing some positive, NSV's over the last 24 days:

1.) I actually feel like I'm in control of my choices for food and what I put in my mouth

2.) I have a lot more courage...to stand up for what I'm doing and why

3.) My clothes are fitting a lot better...I haven't bought anything new but the close that were insanely tight before are comfortable

4.) I feel less bloated and less inflamed all over my entire body

5.) I have little to no abdominal/intestinal discomfort when cramping and gas pain was a daily issue in the past.

6.) Mood swings have definitely decreased

7.) No snacking or cravings to eat crap food in between meals...specifically salt/chips

8.) I'm more tolerant with my co-workers...not sure if this is because I'm more happy and content or if it's the crazy mood swings. But, I thoroughly enjoy work a lot more (except when people throw M&M's at me!)

9.) My doctors noted they could see a difference in my attitude and body inflammation

Lots of good stuff to report...I think at the end of the 30 days, I'm going to focus a lot more on exercise and toning/weight training. I haven't done a ton with that since starting this. I figure now with better control on my food choices, I can put more emphasis on strength.

Here is a picture of our "Yellows" that opened up yesterday -- sharing in the beauty!

Welcome Kathiseattle!

post-68756-0-89585800-1433349771_thumb.j

Not sure where everyone is today but wanted to let you all know I tried the Zoodles and it turned out pretty good! I made a home made, compliant sauce with grilled chicken! Yummy...thanks for all the tips and tricks!

post-68756-0-64036300-1433375531_thumb.j

I finally had a food dream last night! LOL  I don't remember what food I was thinking of eating but I know in my dream I was contemplating confessing eating the food or covering it up ;)  The guilt though!  Omg the guilt I felt in that dream.  I don't think I ate it though.  crazy!

My list!

Bloat is gone from face.

Swelling greatly reduced from feet, ankles, hands, elbows.  I think there is still some that remains.  

Skin doesn't feel stretched out and itchy.

Wearing a size smaller pant.

Tops are all too big, and the new tops I bought, are a smaller size.

No diarrhea.

I can walk down the stairs first thing in the morning without pain, and without holding on to the rail. (this is my fave! I don't feel 90!)

Sleep is better.  I fall asleep fast, stay asleep, wake up feeling rested most days.

Head feels more clear....I think I still have a bit of brain fog, but nothing like I used to have.

Seems like I have one less fat roll around the mid section.

Usually get my period every 12 days, and its wicked bad.  Got it today, and its light as a feather.  No cramps, no headache, no crazy moods.  Was pretty hungry last night though.

I'm not as cranky.  Husband says I seem happier :)

More energy...I feel.....normal.

I'm sure there is more but I'm super impressed and happy with my list.  

I don't think I'm getting enough fat in my diet.  Its a tough one for me for some reason.  I'm making myself egg salad with avocado for lunch so that will be plenty fatty.  

Reintro is something I have been thinking A LOT about, especially since I have done Atkins and have never done OWL properly.  I always have gone back to my wicked ways.   But here is my plan:

Day 1....chickpeas.  Odd thing, but I do love chickpeas, and hummus, so that's the first thing I am adding back.  And waiting a few days to add anything else.  I'm also going to relax on added sugar to things like bacon and salad dressing when eating out.  

Day 4 - edamame.  Another thing I have been missing!

Day 7 or 8 - soy sauce.  I use tamari anyways, which is gluten free so here's hoping its not an issue for me.

Day 12 - rice.  I'm going for sushi.  

And beyond that....dairy I am staying away from until mid-july.  I'm not missing it at all.  I do think its a huge issue for me....I am lactose intolerant after all.  But I will use the lactase pills before consuming dairy in the future.  I am enjoying this whole not having to run to the bathroom and pray I make it on time.

Glutinous grains....I'm going to have to add those back and test....I'm traveling for 3 weeks in the UK in September and I'm going to want to have the yorkshire pudding.  If I find that wheat is a problem....that yorkshire pudding will be my only  wheaty treat.

I realize I didn't mention alcohol.  I only drink wine and spirits now, I break out into hives when I drink beer (which is super sad because I do love beer) but I can live without the booze.  I'll have some wine at book club which is probably around day 10.  

Good evening fellow warriors!

ONE WEEK TILL WEIGH-IN!

:D 

I think it's pretty funny that I'm counting the days till weigh-in over what I can eat! Gaining control over what I eat - Mission accomplished! Thank You Melissa and Dallas Hartwig!

Hearing all the rave about the chocolate chili I decided to add some 100% cocoa to some leftover sloppy joe's, wow what a difference in taste a little cocoa can make! My go-to additive in recipes is usually balsamic vinegar. I think I'll be adding cocoa to recipes too. Wait - BV and Cocoa! Mmmm

I attended a lunch meeting yesterday and my manager was nice enough to ask what the team wanted to eat. I requested a mixed greens salad, no dressing. I had my hard boiled eggs to add and my own dressing. Everyone else had sandwiches, chips, chocolate chip cookies and brownies. Funny, but I was not tempted at all. It didn't look appetizing - at all. All I kept looking at was how beautiful the mixed greens salad was.  :o Who is this girl???

:wub:

Gotta run and watch some ice hockey.

Nighty Night

jeanie i have got to try that chocolate chili!  it sounds like it must be divine!  

that is so great that you ordered that beautiful mixed greens salad and had your own stuff to add.  i'll bet everyone was thinking how healthy of a choice you made.  good for you!

i was at the market again today, and while i was putting my stuff on the belt i said to myself, "wow, look how healthy your order looks"  i felt good!  this was only day 3 for me but i swear i feel wonderful!   :) 

oh and i got my book tonight!  it came....yay!   so i'm excited to start reading it!   :D

Hello everyone

Feeling great today perhaps the feline is appearing after all.

I had a terrible night's sleep last night though. It was after 12 when I finally got off the form, cleaned my teggies and went to bed. I could not fall asleep for ages, felt tense and then started having restless legs - have not had that for some time. 

I mentioned in yesterdays post that I ordered steak and salad at the hotel. I had checked if oil was used (only a little olive oil on the grill to stop sticking), Well when they brought it out to me it had chips and a small salad - I said oh I ordered no chips and a double serve of salad - yes you did the waitress said and took it away. Now I am not quite sure whether they changed plates or what they did but out came my steak and large undressed salad. I do wonder if there was something else they did not mention or if some non compliant oil was on the plate from the chips (I don't want to be 'that woman' but I am not sure how much of a non compliant substance might have an adverse effect). Anyway - I did my best and to the best of my knowledge I had a compliant meal just wonder why the restless legs and night. sooooo onward towards day 30 (I am dying to get on the scale ...)

Day 26 here.

Odd, I didn't sleep well last night either.  I swear I was hungry.  My tummy felt all empty.  After almost two hours, I finally got up and ate a banana.  Not sure if that was a good choice or not, but I was able to go to sleep a few minutes later.  Got up early and went to yoga.  Probably shoulda slept in.  I'm gonna be exhausted this afternoon. 

Hey Everyone! 

I was so sick yesterday. After kicking butt at Texas Roadhouse with friends (bring my own Ghee and my own homemade A1 sauce(which I didn't need), I came down with an awful cold that I had coughing fits all night. I ended up calling in sick from work and sleeping until 1pm. I didn't get all 3 meals in and I did end up taking NyQuil last night. I wish I was better prepared for something better, but that is all I had to help with my coughing fits. I did stay true to program and made a really nice big pot of veggie soup with left over turkey that I had frozen. It was nice. I also had hard boiled eggs and some apple sauce, but I didn't get 3 meals in. 

I'm feeling much better today, however my voice is very raspy. I'm feeling well and surprised at how quickly I bounced back quickly. I have a neurologist appointment tonight to speak to her about a different type of preventative. I was on Topomax previously before I got pregnant. That drug helped so much, however I attempted to try it again and the side effects were WAY too much for me now. My hormones may have changed. I called her to tell her that I'm stopping them and she wanted to have a follow up appointment. This is about the time I started researching alternative to migraine headaches and came across Whole 30... so here we are... day 22 for me and I have been migraine free. I'm excited to share with her this accomplishment and how I'm doing in regards to my headaches!!! 

Also, is anyone noticing their vision getting better? I keep saying that I need to get my eyes checked because my glasses are making me squint. However I can take my glasses off and I can see more then I think I could before. Maybe i'm going crazy, but I am making an eye doctors appointment soon because I definitely see a change. 

Archived