Is Fruit Torpedoing my Whole 30?

I am on Day 9 and feeling pretty good.  Other than a low grade fever and sweats on days 7 & 8 I really didn't have much of carb flu.  We are enjoying are meals, energy level is good but we do eat fruit.  When I need a snack (typically in the afternoon because my lunches aren't typically large) I either have nuts or fruit and a lot of the time it is one the go so I grab something like a Trader Joe's Apple-Mango Just Fruit bar or a slice of Just Mango dried Mango.  I made sure they are whole 30 compliant and they are but the question it...is this hurting my Whole 30?  I don't think I am eating it because of a sugar craving but for convenience.  I guess my biggest question is am messing up my Whole 30?  How much fruit is ok and at what point would it prevent my system from being in fat-burning mode?  

Disney Mama - eating fruit sugars doesn't burn fat.   An over-saturation of fruit sugars...are you ready for this - can actually cause an individual to add fat but not burn it.

Dried fruit? It's like eating candy.  The body and pancreas cannot tell the difference.

Do you know what burns through fat?  Protein and good dietary fats.  Throw your good roasted vegetables alongside and they're the after-burner for your rocket ship.  

Dried fruits, nuts and bars are a stop gap solution for cravings.   They're not adding anything to your desire for a fat-burning mode.  Set them all aside for 30 days.... bars, dried fruits and yes, even the nuts,  if you're using them for snacks.

Dried fruits are supposed to be used for cooking purposes.  Nuts are a nice addition, throwing a few on top of a dish.  We can't pander to cravings.   They are artificial hunger.   For true hunger, eat yourself some protein with a nice dollop of good fat.  Don't eat a Teeny Tiny meal but one with the Whole 30 Trifecta.   Proteins, Vegetables and Fats.   Those three will get you into a fat burning mode. 

Nuts and dried fruits take a toll on the psyche and body...when all is said and done at the end of 30 days.

Short answer:  real fruit is a much better choice than all of the dried fruit/nut bars in the world.  

Compliant Whole 30 jerky would surpass any fruit choice for a Grab N Go .

• Moderators

You'd do best to eat a larger lunch and forego the afternoon snack. But if you need to work your way up to that, have a mini meal of protein, fat, and veg. What you once knew as snacking doesn't exist as a whole 30 best practice. Stick to the template for best results.

• Moderators

What is torpedoing your Whole30 is not eating enough at meals and then scraping by with fruit and nuts. Fruit and nuts are okay ingredients, but they are not adequate nutrition for a hungry body. The point of doing a Whole30 is to learn what life is like when you are well nourished. When you snack on fruit and nuts, you reveal that you have not yet reached a point of eating enough to be well nourished. 

Archived