constant headache

I am on day 2 of whole30 and still getting into the swing of things. A friend and I decided to start together then picked a date about 3 weeks out, so I had been trying to eat better and more balanced in order to prepare.

Day 1 afternoon, I got a screaming headache, almost migraine but not quite. Day 1 at work was extremely stressful - one of the worst days in a few years. This morning (day 2) I woke up feeling better, but now it is 10 AM and the headache is coming back. I was a very heavy grain eater prior - lots of pasta and rice - and I am wondering if this is my body withdrawing from the simple carbs.

I don't want to be a slave to ibuprofen - has anyone had a similar experience and can offer some tips??

Thanks  :) 

Log: 

D1M1:

• Frittata with peppers, onions, pork

• 2 mandarins

• coffee - black

D1M2:

• steak

• sweet potato - mashed

• broccoli/cauliflower/carrot frozen mix

D1S1:

• Almonds

• 1 Banana, medium

D1M3:

• Shrimp & salmon

• Spaghetti squash with cauliflower sauce, olive oil

D2M1: added an additional fried egg instead of mandarins because the frittata i made on Sunday averages out to about 1.5 eggs per serving

• Frittata with peppers, onions, pork

• egg fried in olive oil

• coffee - black

Okay.  I am going to pick apart some things here.

Some pointers:

Overall your meals look decent enough - just not enough.  The fact that you need a snack tell me that are not eating enough and will definitely contribute to headaches.

Eggs - when you have eggs as your main source of protein for a meal, please make sure that it is the number of whole eggs held in one hand without dropping them.  I prefer to mix up my proteins - I find it more satiating - so if you want to mix in some ground meat into your frittata or add some compliant sausages on the side - feel free to do that.  So 1.5 eggs for a meal - not really enough to hold you for the day.  And trust me I have come to find that my breakfast are generally the biggest meal of the day for me.  But it took me a while to get to this point.

Your D1M2 & D1M3 - is missing a fat component.  Fat will keep you full for longer.  Also please note that cooking fat doesn't really count for the most part as a lot of it gets left behind in the pan unless you scrape it out.  And do not try to go low fat whole 30 - you will be hungry and headachy all the time then.

Please also avoid snacking on fruit, nuts, dried fruit, nut butters etc.  Why?  because these items kind of feed your sugar dragon.  And ultimately we would like to get the sugar dragon caged and controlled.  So if you are legitimately hungry (meaning you don't just feel "snacky" but you are hungry enough to eat something super bland like steamed fish and broccoli) then eat!!! Have a minim meal - so a mini meal looks like a small template sized meal.  Think protein, fat, and vegetable.

Also please try remember to salt your food - since whole 30 eating requires very little processed foods we are eating way less salt.  SO feel free to season things fairly liberally.

Please make sure that you are drinking enough water - water consumption should be half your body weight in ounces a day.  So a 120lb person should be consuming around 60 ounces of water daily.

Thank you carla!

I have been drinking more water than normal, and I know i need to get some more fats - have not bought avocado yet as I am going out of town tomorrow and didn't want it to spoil. Once I get to my destination and then back home - i will certainly be eating more avocado as it is one of my favorites.

Can people please provide examples of better "snacks" or mini-meals? I work long hours, so eating only 3 meals a day doesn't work when I try to space it out 3-4 hours. For example:

M1 at 7:30 AM

M2 at 12:00 PM (4.5 hours later)

S1 at 4:00 PM (4 hours later)

M3 at 7:30 PM (3.5 hours later)

Bed at 11:00 PM (3.5 hours later)

Here's some template-based mini-meals off the top of my head:
- prosciutto, sliced peppers and olives
- egg, chicken, or salmon salad made with compliant mayo with a sweet potato on the side
- sardines in olive oil and sauerkraut
- hard boiled egg and carrots
- any leftovers from your main meals that fit the template

• Administrators

Hi Erica,

This schedule looks totally doable!

If you create a breakfast large enough to make it to noon, you can create a lunch large enough to make it until 4-5pm. Then have a small snack (think hard boiled egg w/ mayo or chicken thigh w/ olives) and then have dinner.  After dinner, eating time is over.

(This is actually my schedule as well and depending on what I have for lunch, I do not need the snack before dinner....granted by the time dinner is ready I am totally ready for it!)

Guys, these mini meal ideas are fantastic, thank you so much!!

I will be stocking up on hard boiled eggs and will be making my first homemade mayo soon! Also will buy a bag of precooked frozen shrimp - something easy to prep and ready to be paired with some peppers or snap peas!

I also think making a bigger M1 will help - I have read a lot on the forum how people say big breakfasts help them the entire day, not just the morning hours. Tomorrow will make sure I get 4 eggs, and see how that changes things.

Before whole30 - I never thought in a million years I'd be going through more than a dozen eggs by myself in one week!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Before whole30 - I never thought in a million years I'd be going through more than a dozen eggs by myself in one week!!!!!

OMG I know right?! I was just thinking about that driving home from the grocery store last night with my 2 dozen cage free eggs that I know will be gone in 7 to 10 days (depending if I continue with my 3 eggs a day, which I most likely will as it keeps me so satisfied!). Same thing applies to my fridge drawer almost full of avocados haha!

Same thing applies to my fridge drawer almost full of avocados haha!

YES! I live alone and bought 4 avocados for myself for the week!!! (Granted I am planning on making a sauce that will be good for a little while - if it weren't for that I would have bought less....)

Anyone who says the whole30 has brought down their grocery bills is a liar ... these things are expensive but OH SO GOOD.

YES! I live alone and bought 4 avocados for myself for the week!!! (Granted I am planning on making a sauce that will be good for a little while - if it weren't for that I would have bought less....)

Anyone who says the whole30 has brought down their grocery bills is a liar ... these things are expensive but OH SO GOOD.

Not a liar.  ;)  It actually didn't reduce my grocery budget by much--maybe $60 for the month for my family of four--BUT it did almost completely eradicate our restaurant budget which was the biggest money drain. 

Things have loosened up a little bit since I finished the actual 30 days.  But I was shocked at how much money I did save. 

BUT it did almost completely eradicate our restaurant budget which was the biggest money drain. 

Things have loosened up a little bit since I finished the actual 30 days.  But I was shocked at how much money I did save. 

Maybe it is because I live alone, maybe it is because I was buying essentials I hadn't had before, maybe it was because Week 1 was actually spent out of town and eating at restaurants where whole30 meals were more expensive than non-compliant options .... But my food spending (includes groceries and dining out) increased by 30-40% for the month of May.

Granted, I started whole30 on May 18 - so the increase may be because of poor decisions prior to whole30 (I haven't dug into the details of my spending yet). 

Maybe I'll be converted to believing it's less costly when June rolls around and the majority of the month is spent compliant!!!

• Moderators

The first couple of weeks I definitely bought a lot of new things like coconut aminos, coconut, nuts (which I don't buy very often now), etc. It has definitely gotten better as I got the hang of the learning curve.

Bonus: No wasted veggies that got left in the crisper. I use up everything now.

Archived