Lauras Food Diary - Start date of June 1st

lwatkins04

Today is day one. I took my weight and measurements this morning. Scale will be put away for the remainder of these 30 days. I want to follow this thing entirely. At first I thought I would still weigh myself a few times a week but then I suddenly agreed with not wanting to get discouraged if the scale isnt moving like I 'think' it should. I want to enjoy and gain knowledge, and health from this journey so good bye scale!

Little about me: I dont like to consider myself a yo-yo dieter because I have been dieting for so long constantly. I have a lot of weight to lose, and because I have PCOS I need to eat low glycemic to lose weight. Whole 30 is right in that platform of getting me ready for a low glycemic lifestyle. I have mostly been following the weight watchers program. I would lose, then gain, then lose, then gain.....which made me stay around the same weight. Ive lost a little, as in 5 lbs in 5 months. Ive followed the program, and Ive been exercising with no good success. Im not downing weight watchers, because it does work for some but it didnt work for me. I think it is too 'freeing.' If I had extra points at the end of the day I would eat something, just because I could, not because I was hungry. 

Current symptoms: knee pain (cant kneel down without pain) - hurts to bend down etc, lower back pain occasionally (herniated disc) - not sure if this will be helped but you never know, pcos (not many symptoms luckily - have to take metformin for it), feeling exhausted when I shouldnt, no motivation to workout unless its swimming which I love doing, occasional heartburn from eating different foods, stomach issues. 

Day 1 Meal Plan:

Breakfast: Egg/Veggie bake, 2 slices of pederson farms compliant bacon, 1/2 avocado and a side of melon. 

Lunch: Chicken salad over lettuce, cucumber slices, banana, and cashews/coconut. 

Dinner: Whole 30 turkey chili, 1/2 avocado, sweet potato "fries" and cucumber slices. 

I hope Im doing it right! I took a week to really learn the program. Ive purchased both books, just because I like books. Im partially into the It Starts with Food book, and I must say Im a little angry after reading it. I cant believe I didnt know some of the things Im reading in the book. I feel like, in a way, that people are brainwashed to eat bad foods because of the addictive additives in them. I now understand why I overeat bad foods, but not good foods. Im pretty angry that my doctor didnt tell me anything in regards to my pcos/insulin resistance issue. I feel like I could have picked up a healthier habit a long time ago. All in all, I cant believe what Ive been doing to my body by making these poor food choices. 

I also started today and have been diagnosed PCOS for over 40 years (it was called Stein-Leventhal Syndrome back then).  I spent all weekend shopping and making broth, mayonnaise, clarifying butter, and compounding butter. It's hard for me to meal plan and I think that's going to be the most difficult part, but I love to cook, so I'm excited.  Good luck. Hopefully we can help each other along the next 30 days to stay on track?

Hey There! That sounds like my weekend. Tons of meal prep, and made ketchup and mayo. I ended up buying ghee instead of clarifying butter, but I think I am going to do it myself next time - much cheaper. I will add you as a friend on here! Would love to have someone to help keep on track with. When I decided to do the whole 30 I asked around to see if anyone wanted to join with me and no one did lol. I live in the south (Im originally from the north) and no one wanted to give up their sweet tea and fried food. Oh well....

Today is Day Two! 

Wrap up from Day 1. I felt good most of the day but was having some hunger a couple hours after I ate each meal. After speaking to some people on the forum I found out I wasnt eating nearly enough veggies - so I have upped the veggie count for each meal today. I was really hungry after dinner last night and after doing some research I found that if you NEED to eat something, to have a mini meal, not a snack. So I made a couple of eggs with some hot sauce that held me over. I found myself tired yesterday earlier than I normally am, and Im still pretty tired today. Not sure if that is related to the Whole 30, or if I just didnt get well rested. Either way Im feeling pretty good. 

Things I forgot to add yesterday in current symptoms: Dry skin, and waking up a couple times throughout the night to use the potty....

Day 2 Meal Plan:

Breakfast: Egg/veggie bake w/extra veggies on top, avocado, two slices of bacon and a side of melon. 

Lunch: Leftover Whole 30 chili with avocado (this is super filling btw), left over sweet potato fries, and a side (2 cups) of greenbeans/asparagus if I need it. Also brought a banana with some sun butter if i want it. 

Dinner: Butternut squash w/homemade chicken sausage with an egg on top! Recipe I found on pinterest. Will probably make a side of green beans to go with it. 

You sound like you are doing well Laura!! :)

I am day 6 and I keep reading to learn where the over the hump is for encouragement.

I have felt good most days. I am doing this alone. My daughter is interested but i said after my first 30, when I know how to make things and it is not a panic, then join me.

I am not much of a cook so ....I make things like some ground meat in a salad of lettuces and spinach and top it with some salsa and I am in heaven lol.

I made some sweet potato medallions this morning -um...lol to that too. they weren't bad.

I always thought raw veg was the best way but i was reading on troubleshooting last night that you can eat so much more cooked. I certainly see that's true but I had never seen it that way.

Happy Tuesday to you!!!!

Please feel free to check out my log :)

You sound like you are doing well Laura!! :)

I am day 6 and I keep reading to learn where the over the hump is for encouragement.

I have felt good most days. I am doing this alone. My daughter is interested but i said after my first 30, when I know how to make things and it is not a panic, then join me.

I am not much of a cook so ....I make things like some ground meat in a salad of lettuces and spinach and top it with some salsa and I am in heaven lol.

I made some sweet potato medallions this morning -um...lol to that too. they weren't bad.

I always thought raw veg was the best way but i was reading on troubleshooting last night that you can eat so much more cooked. I certainly see that's true but I had never seen it that way.

Happy Tuesday to you!!!!

Please feel free to check out my log :)

Thanks you too! Ive been reading and told that cooked vegetables make you fuller rather than raw. I was pretty much told I had to eat a ton of lettuce for it to help with fullness. Work in progress. Lots of cooking. I dont mind cooking, its the dishes I hate lol. 

Hi! I am on day 2 too, I have PCOS too, I used to live in South Carolina, and I'm also doing my Whole30 alone! I'm definitely going to follow your posts! Reading about others at the exact same stage will be super helpful so thanks! Go you! 

I live in the south (Im originally from the north) and no one wanted to give up their sweet tea and fried food. Oh well....

I'm not a sweet tea person, but I travel to metro-Atlanta for work every so often... and purposely planned this round when I knew I wouldn't be going there and wouldn't have to deal with weird explanations to my coworkers ("Why are you on a diet?" etc). It's the same up here though too, a lot of my fellow Northerners think it's crazy :)

++ on the mini-meal too! I sometimes bring too much food with me to work for lunch, just in case I might need some later.

Thanks mgwhee! I will follow yours too!! 

@shortystylee - Yea I guess its everywhere. The strange thing about my coworkers though is that they want to lose weight, but dont want to put in the work for it. They diet every other day etc etc. Im hoping my positve results from the Whole30 will inspire them to make healthier choices!

• Moderators

Those of you feeling tired early on, that is a pretty typical thing for the first week to 10 days, hang in there. Make sure you're eating enough, and include at least one serving of starchy vegetables each day -- sweet potato, potato, any of the winter squashes like butternut or acorn or spaghetti squash, or root vegetables like turnips, rutabagas, or beets.

It's hard for me to meal plan and I think that's going to be the most difficult part, but I love to cook, so I'm excited.  

Rather than a really detailed meal plan, you might like something like a weekly cookup, where you just pre-cook several proteins and some vegetables, chop other vegetables so they're ready to go, and then just mix and match those throughout the week. You can read about it here, or see a full week's plan with a shopping list and everything here.

Hi Laura and everyone else :)

I was hemming and hawing about reading, "It Starts With Food" till I saw your post saying you were reading it...so I succumb to that peer pressure :P

I don't live near a bookstore...I hate to have it on my kindle but maybe I will.

I like to be able to flip around in certain kinds of books, ya know?

I find reading the Whole 30 and this forum really help encourage me as well as enlighten.

Thanks ladalton, you as well!

Lisa, it really is a good book. Its helping me through because I am understanding more and more as to why I have struggled in the past, and why I am doing what I am doing. I highly suggest it. Order it online if you dont want the kindle version!

On to Day Three! 

Summary of day two: It was a little rough. The cravings started to set in. Im craving cheese like you wouldnt believe. Whats weird, is I dont think I even used cheese that much before! Im also craving crunch. My dinner last night was a fail, tasted gross, so I ended up making some tuna salad. Ate that with some mustard and was content for the night. On a good point I did not eat my banana/nut butter with lunch yesterday because after eating all of those vegetables..I did not need it or want it. Plus there!

Day Three Menu:

Breakfast: Egg/veggie bake with extra veggies added on top, bacon, and side of fruit. 

Lunch: Chicken sausage with squash, green beans, and asparagus. Two 'deviled' eggs, and that banana/nut butter from yesterday if I WANT it. 

Dinner: Shephards Pie (from the whole 30 book). 

Current Issues: The past two nights Ive been waking up 2-3 times a night. Normally I wake up once during the night to use the restroom, but these past couple nights it has been 2-3. I have some swelling in my legs/ankles that Ive always had. Its slowly gone away as Ive lost weight, but is still there (confirmed with doctor it was because of weight). So in conclusion, I think my body is getting rid of the extra water in my legs/wherever else, more than it did before. At least thats what it seems like. Im not all sleepy today though so that is a plus!

Hope everyone else is going strong!

I had to get up and use the bathroom a few times as well. 

I had swelling in one ankle that has gone now.

I can only guess the body is getting rid of some stuff that shouldn't be there.

The trips in the night will lessen and disappear.

:)

I had to get up and use the bathroom a few times as well. 

I had swelling in one ankle that has gone now.

I can only guess the body is getting rid of some stuff that shouldn't be there.

The trips in the night will lessen and disappear.

:)

Thank you! I hope so. I mean if my body is getting rid of stuff that shouldnt be in there I am all for it, but can it please do that during the day? lol

what do you do with a squash?

lol

Apparently not eat them if you are me, because they are just too sweet! I think I have to be in the mood for them. But squash, its pretty much like a sweet potato but less carbs I believe. You can buy them in the produce section. Ive eaten acorn, and buttnernut squash, and of course yellow squash. Acorn and butternut you just bake them for about a half hour until they become soft and eat them like you would a sweet potato. yellow squash is usually near zucchini and you can chop that up with some other vegetables and it eat! 

Hi Laura! I'm also in SC (Lexington). We have a group on FB (that's how I learned about Whole30) that's Whole30 based. It's mostly local to us folks with lots of support and suggestions. Some AHMAZING success stories on there too. Search for Sugar Shakers. I'm fixing to begin my second (strict) Whole30 but I'm currently mostly compliant. ;) 

Good luck. You can do this!  

Hi Laura! I'm also in SC (Lexington). We have a group on FB (that's how I learned about Whole30) that's Whole30 based. It's mostly local to us folks with lots of support and suggestions. Some AHMAZING success stories on there too. Search for Sugar Shakers. I'm fixing to begin my second (strict) Whole30 but I'm currently mostly compliant. ;) 

Good luck. You can do this!

Thanks! Good to know someone locally is on this journey too! I searched for that group but could not find it.... Could you send me the link? I would love to join!

On to Day 4! 

Yesterdays recap: It was a little rough towards the end of the day. I started to get irritable. I think its a mixture of my body getting used to the program, and me not being satisfied enough with meals. I made sweet potato one day, squash another. Found out I really didnt like those so I didnt eat much of them. And eating them ruined the meals for me for some reason. So in turn, with the exception of breakfast, I never felt satisfied. Last night I made shepards pie with white potatoes, NO SWEETNESS in this meal - thank goodness. I felt satisfied. Anyways, yesterday was a little rough - but I made it through. Getting rid of these cravings and my old mindset is a bit of a challenge. 

Meals for today:

Meal 1: Egg/veggie bake, 1/2 avocado, melon, bacon.

Meal 2: Chicken salad over lettuce, deviled eggs, banana. - wishing I would have brought extra veggies :( 

Meal 3: Still deciding between turkey burgers or left over shepards pie. 

Hope everyone is doing well!

Archived