Shhhh! Its a Secret!

JenX

I finished my Whole 30 almost a week ago. I didn't do before weight or measurements (on purpose), but my clothes all fit again so I know I lost a minimum of 8 lbs. My energy is unbelievable. I sleep like the dead and wake up refreshed. My skin is glowing.  I have had so many NSV I can't list them all here. 

The biggest one is it's like I was let in on a secret that very few people knew.  I've been a yo-yo dieter since I was put on my first calorie restriction by my pediatrician when I was 12. They put me on 1600 calories. When that didn't work they lowered me to 1400. I did WW, I did 6 Week Body Makeover, I did (gasp) diet pills, I made up my own diet based on the food pyramid, I went vegetarian, vegan, back to vegetarian. I tried a ketosis diet - everything!  With each I struggled, I was miserable but I lost weight eventually. Then I went back and gained it all + more.  Before I turned 40 I decided I needed to make drastic changes. I embraced exercise whole-heartedly and cut out a majority of the junk and did lose weight in a much healthier fashion. I lost 60 lbs total that year. I became a runner. I went to exercise classes, spin classes, eventually graduated to half marathons and triathlons. I was / am  very fit  But no matter what, I still yo-yo'd bouncing up and down 10-20 lbs often 2x a year. I tracked all my metrics (macros (especially dreaded FAT), calories in, calories out) ad nauseum.  I'd get bored, distracted, disgusted, start craving like mad and start eating poorly - gain weight - get fed up eventually and get back to tracking and up my training and start the cycle over yet again.

Now... along comes Whole30. I don't have to track?! I don't have to measure?!  I get to eat FAT?!?! REALLY?! THAT MUCH?!  I get to be fully satiated at every meal?  I don't understand how this can work for me.  I mean, I've been dieting off and on for literally 75% of my life at this point. 35 years of diets!  But I bit the bullet. I committed. I ate my template meals, I didn't snack unless I was well and truly hungry. I listened to my body. And you know what?  I AM FREE!   I am free from cravings. I am free from obsessing about everything I put into my mouth. I am free forever from having to track my meals, calories, metrics, macros. What a feeling!

As I said, I'm not having cravings - haven't had any since my first week and those were minor compared to ones I've had in the past. I don't want for anything beyond my Whole30 template meals - I'm even having a hard time doing re-introductions because nothing that I used to eat sounds good.  Even cheese, glorious cheese doesn't sound good to me (and cheese is what turned me from a vegan back into a vegetarian way back when - lol!). I have come up with a very small list of things I think I may want to have in the future so am doing a slow-roll-out based on that list.

I am happy.

I mean, I've been dieting off and on for literally 75% of my life at this point. 35 years of diets!  But I bit the bullet. I committed. I ate my template meals, I didn't snack unless I was well and truly hungry. I listened to my body. And you know what?  I AM FREE!   I am free from cravings. I am free from obsessing about everything I put into my mouth. I am free forever from having to track my meals, calories, metrics, macros. What a feeling!

Your story is mine -- except it looks like I'm amazingly older. :-)  I first started the diet game in 1987.  AND your story really inspired me to recommit to Whole30 type eating.  I do just what you say you did -- just all over the place and ending up frustrated (and still fat) in the end -- not to mention the obsessive compulsive behavior I've been demonstrating for these 30 years.  What a mess!

Thanks for sharing your story.  Off I go to get serious about not metering, tracking, weighing, and so forth and so on.  THANKS AGAIN!

Thank you so much for sharing! I am on day 9 of my first w30 and it is really fantastic to hear about those paychological benefits (aka loss of cravings and healthier relationship with food) because I am struggling a bit with cravings and imagining my next scone... It is wonderful to know that those cravings will be diminished as I continue workig through them. Thanks again and I am so glad you had such wonderful results :)

Archived