My mindset is bothering me

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but here we go.

I cant seem to get out of the mindset that I need an "unhealthy" carb with each meal (tortilla, rice etc). Before Whole 30, I always seemed to have something like that with a meal. If it was breakfast - I had oats, if it was lunch - I had chips, if it was dinner - I had rice or tortillas etc etc. I am on Day 3 and I cant seem to bend this mindset. The thought of veggies as the only side just doesnt mesh with my brain for some reason. Ugh. 

Also, I sit here and think about life after whole 30 and Im scared on what Im going to do. I started the Whole 30 so that I could reset my mind and body for weight loss. I have a lot of weight to lose. Im confident that I will lose weight/inches among many other great things with the Whole 30, but Im scared about what to do afterwards. I cant seem to find any clear examples on that. 

I hope these thoughts/cravings go away. I just want to be healthy.  :(

• Administrators

OK, breathe.  As far as what to do when you're done, that is 27 days away.  Chances are you are going to have a completely different mindset by then and you should make your "after" decisions with the mindset you have then, not now.

For the unhealthy carb, it's possible that your body is just asking for a carb serving, that's totally fine.  Start out by serving yourself a starchy veggie at a couple meals (one fist sized serving in addition to the other non starchy veggies).  

It's also possible that you aren't eating enough overall, not enough fat or not enough veggies to bridge that gap. Can you post what you've been eating (incl. portions as they relate to your own palm and thumb size).

Why is it that you need those things? There's probably some other facets to this issue, but you'll be the one who has to challenge those thoughts and dig into what the issues might be. Could be habit, could be comfort, could be things you were taught in the past, etc. The only one who knows is you.

Remember that the Whole30 is not a low-carb plan. Starchy veggies are just as important as non-starchy veggies so if you're not already, you might want to start incorporating them into your day. The usual recommendation is to add one fist sized portion of a carb dense veggie (any variety of potato, winter squash, beets, turnips, rutabagas, etc.) to one of your meals and see how you feel. Some people need more based upon their personal health needs and activity level. Some women also find an increased need for starchy veg in the week leading up to their period. Play around with the amounts and the timing and see how you feel. Some people sleep better if they have their carbs later in the day.

Have you tried cauliflower rice in meals?  It's a great substitute and I feel like I'm getting that carb I need.  I also agree with the starchy veggies.  One thing I have found post whole 30 is my mind set is completely different.  I thought I ate healthy before and now I know how to eat healthy.  When I don't abide by it I feel crappy emotionally.  It has pushed me to keep going with this way of eating.  I'm still trying to balance things (though I don't really know why as the "other" foods just lead me down a path I don't want) but it's a journey and I'll get there eventually. 

You will start to feel better and will quite craving those things.  The most freeing thing to me about this is being released from the need for a certain type of food.  Keep at it!

I had the same mindset, and for me it really was all mental. Shouldn't every meal contain a "healthy whole grain"? :) But you're only on day 3. Just make excellent meals out of all the things you are eating and eventually that craving will go away! I gave away my toast at the diner this morning without a second thought.

As for what to do after: like ladyshanny said, relax. You have 27 days before you have to think about that, and a lot will happen in those 27 days!

Ms. Watkins - enjoy the ride and when you're closer to the end, we can tell you about the Whole 30 Slow Roll Reintro and how to customize a Positive Food Management Plan that's right for you.  That's what I call it and you will have to create your own.  We'll help you with that when it's time to move forward.

Like you,  I was reading everything I could during my Whole 30 but I've found the hidey-holes and nooks and crannies of this forum.  There's alot of links we'll send you when the time is right.  Ride your wave and when it's time for you come into the shoreline, there will be a jet ski to whisk you off to your safety net.  You'll see.  

surfer-riding-a-huge-tube-wave-in-tasman

• Moderators

How about some similar, delicious dishes? 

• spaghetti squash with a meat and tomato sauce over it or made into compliant pad thai
  • zoodles (zucchini or squash 'noodles')
  • cauliflower (or root vegetable) mash

All of the above are compliant, and healthy choices, and just as delicious as the carbs you are missing. Frankly, I can't stand pasta anymore, it has no flavor. Get yourself a julienne peeler to make the zoodles, or spring for a spiralizer.

Find recipes for caulimash, roasted spaghetti squash, etc all over the internet.

You can do this!

Archived