Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

Good morning. Im so glad yesterday is over and I am approaching this day with a new attitude. Happiness and gratitude are an attitude. Im letting yesterday go and embracing the new today. I am in charge of myself. Just had 2 hard boiled eggs and coffee before I head off to the gym. Today is the day that I go to celebrate with my girls friends. They have chosen a new pizza place downtown. I have looked at the menu and have decided that i will order the garden salad with the organic chicken and oil and vinegar dressing. I have to honor myself and be willing to ask questions. No alcohol and dessert and I'm not even sad. Please send positive vibes that my friends won't hassle me. I also have made the decision to no longer have nuts for the remaining whole 30. Have a wonderful day 12.

Sarah

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like a lot of people aren't eating fruit?  I love fruit and still eat it with lunch and as a snack.  Is it really that bad to eat fruit?  

Also, when yall are listing your meals, are you eating large portions or the veggies and protein.  Are a lot of yall under 1200 calories everyday?  According to my fitness band, Im burning close to 2500 calories on an active day, and i just don't see how i could get by with such little calories.

It seems like a lot of people aren't eating fruit?  I love fruit and still eat it with lunch and as a snack.  Is it really that bad to eat fruit?  

Also, when yall are listing your meals, are you eating large portions or the veggies and protein.  Are a lot of yall under 1200 calories everyday?  According to my fitness band, Im burning close to 2500 calories on an active day, and i just don't see how i could get by with such little calories.

I think eating fruit depends on the person, some feel like it leads to sugar cravings or just don't have room for it on their plate.

I'm not purposely trying to avoid it but when I look back at my log I'm lucky to get in 2 servings a day, most days its just one. I typically pack it every day for either breakfast or lunch, and it is usually a mix of berries, but I don't always eat it. 

I say, if its not causing you problems than eat it! Personally the only time I'm craving sweets is when I'm perusing Pintrest (wish I could figure out how to filter out non compliant foods!) ;)

I'm trying to not eat fruit, but I love it, and being summer there is so much to choose from!  I'm concerned about the sugar, that's the only reason.  I noticed I crash more in the afternoon (sleepy/crabby) when I eat fruit with breakfast, so I'm trying to only eat a small amount of fruit with lunch and dinner.

I'm not counting calories AT ALL.  I'm just eating until I feel full.  It's a lot of red meat (bacon!) and fat (bacon fat!) so I'm not really worried about it!  I'd focus more on the nutrition and eating until satiety than caloric intact.

Today has been really hard. Nothing sounds good. Not even my morning coffee/coconut milk. I have no desire for my food I've cooked or really any food. I made 3 eggs with morning with sweet potato and broccoli....I ate maybe half then threw it away. For M2 I made a spinach salad with grilled flank steak, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 avocado.....ate maybe half. I'm supposed to eat hamburger patty with homeade sweet potato wedges and grilled veggies for dinner, but really don't want it. I wasn't a "foodie" before Whole 30 and now beginning to really hate food. I'm tired of thinking about it, tired of planning it, tired of cooking it. I went to Whole Foods for lunch yesterday and was looking forward to a non-salad lunch, but it seemed that everything on thier hot bar had a non-compliant ingredient. I was so frustrated that I ended just getting Kombucha and a whole cooked rotissere chicken. I know I'm way under my kcal based on how much I'm not eating. I did run 4 miles yesterday and am teaching a bootcamp class today. I'm so over food. Anyone else?

Eating fruit with your meals is fine so long as your staying within the recommended amount of 1-2 servings per day.

Eating fruit on it's own as a snack is another story altogether. Not only will it keep your sugar dragon alive, but it play havoc with your blood sugar levels and you'll not know when you're hungry or tired, or whatever.

If you're hungry enough to need a snack then your meals aren't big enough. If you increase them and you still need a snack then go for a mini meal with proteins & fats (& preferably veggies). Don't snack on fruit alone.

Portion wise you should be aiming for 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein (that's the lebth, breadth & width of your palm), 1-3 cups of veggies (best to aim for 3...), and 1-2 thumb sized pieces of fat - say half an avocado, a dollop of mayo, some bacon, a handful of olives etc., and remember that not all calories are equal in nutrional term (think about 500kcal of sugar compared to 500kcal of chicken) so pleaase don't concern yourself with how many you are eating versus burning.

I have been so angry the past couple of days!  I'm the worst to be around - and I know it but am having a hard time controlling it.  Day 30 feels like it will never come.  Anyone else?

Day 12 and I have something remarkable to report. A change is happening to my taste buds and appetite. I just had a protein salad for M2 (mixed greens, tri-color bell peppers, cucumber, purple cabbage, green onions, avo, chicken breast and ranch dssg). Strangely, and maybe miraculously, it was tasty and satisfying. This is from a 58 year old woman who thinks she doesn't like salads or veggies. The experience was downright surreal. Just sayin! Filled w hope and optimism.

Today has been really hard. Nothing sounds good. Not even my morning coffee/coconut milk. I have no desire for my food I've cooked or really any food. I made 3 eggs with morning with sweet potato and broccoli....I ate maybe half then threw it away. For M2 I made a spinach salad with grilled flank steak, cherry tomatoes, 1/2 avocado.....ate maybe half. I'm supposed to eat hamburger patty with homeade sweet potato wedges and grilled veggies for dinner, but really don't want it. I wasn't a "foodie" before Whole 30 and now beginning to really hate food. I'm tired of thinking about it, tired of planning it, tired of cooking it. I went to Whole Foods for lunch yesterday and was looking forward to a non-salad lunch, but it seemed that everything on thier hot bar had a non-compliant ingredient. I was so frustrated that I ended just getting Kombucha and a whole cooked rotissere chicken. I know I'm way under my kcal based on how much I'm not eating. I did run 4 miles yesterday and am teaching a bootcamp class today. I'm so over food. Anyone else?

I am so sorry that food isn't sounding good to you right now.  That is never fun.  I haven't had that particular issue.  But I am definitely wanting more variety.  I guess that's up to me.  I am such a newbie to this so I can't give any real advice. But I can say that you can do it.  Keep on keeping on and hopefully something will change.  Good luck!

You're around about the stage when most people give up - don't be one of them - you can do this.

It's also fairly normal to lose your appetite at some point. If you're not hungry enough to eat an entire template meal eat around the plate ensuring you get some of each food group, gthen pack up the rest to eat as soon as you're able. Your appetite will come back eventually. In the meantime maybe try food with either very strong flavours (eg. pickles & curry), or that are really bland like scrambled eggs, mashed potato etc.

Is there a particular taste or texture that you're missing?

You're around about the stage when most people give up - don't be one of them - you can do this.

It's also fairly normal to lose your appetite at some point. If you're not hungry enough to eat an entire template meal eat around the plate ensuring you get some of each food group, gthen pack up the rest to eat as soon as you're able. Your appetite will come back eventually. In the meantime maybe try food with either very strong flavours (eg. pickles & curry), or that are really bland like scrambled eggs, mashed potato etc.

Is there a particular taste or texture that you're missing?

I think I'm just over the process.......I know to trust the process and change takes time. I'm just over the label reading, the food, the preparation, the cooking (so much cooking), and really missing my 1/2 Eziekel Sprouted English Muffin. ;-) That was my go to snack for pre WO and bfast. I've read the book and I'm hoping by Day 30 I'll look at food differently, feel different about food, and have a healthier relationship with the Sugar Dragon. As of now, I just want it to be over. I refuse to quit. I've come this far, not going to cheat or give up.

I have been so angry the past couple of days!  I'm the worst to be around - and I know it but am having a hard time controlling it.  Day 30 feels like it will never come.  Anyone else?

Klack I'm with ya!  I've been a crabby monster pretty much all week, but it's also that "time of the month", so I've been using that as my excuse, but I know thats not the only reason.

I also wish my skin would hurry and clear up because I'm really sick of these breakouts!  I think they're getting worse... : (

Let's all hang in there.. Tiger Blood is JUST around the corner!!!

Oh my gosh, yes!!!!  I'm a rage machine!  I'm frightening myself!!  What in the world????

Oh my gosh! I'm doing so much better than I was last week in that yes, it is Friday night and I am still awake! (Last week I passed out at like 5:30... no joke). So I'm doing pretty well all things considered. I didn't plan meal 3 very well (should have read the whole recipe!) because it took an hour to cook and I ended up eating just now. It was totally scrumptious though. Very worth it. I made the meat marinara sauce from The Whole 30 book with roasted spaghetti squash. I overcooked the squash, but it was still delicious. 

I did have one rage moment in my tiny little (very crowded) health food store today. There were people everywhere and I just wanted to get in, get my kombucha and get out. They were not so obliging and I briefly felt like hulk smashing my way through the crowd of people with my cart. I quashed that feeling and made it out of the store with my sanity (and kombucha!) intact. 

Hope you all are continuing to find a groove even when it's tough! We've got this!

I had the rage for a couple of days last week, only minor episodes of extreme (short lived) irritibility lately, usually when I'm really hungry.  Last week I felt the urge to murder a co worker for crunching her afternoon snack too loudly.

I did continue to have issued with tiredness and bloating today.  Had a very difficult time trying to finish M1 and didn't quite make it with M2 and have been craving fat like a mad thing.  I really thought I was getting enough, I add it every meal, but maybe not enough?  I spent all afternoon being distracted by thoughts of grilled steak, and fried... anything.  I add coconut, coconut milk, or ghee to just about every vegetable.  Plus I usually toss a few chopped pecans into greens and sweet potatoes.  Have moved my starches into M2 or M3, sometimes both.  Still craving.  Sugar? No problem, haven't wanted it at all. Today a twinkie fell on me (literally, I opened the microwave at work and a banana creme twinkie fell off on me.). All I felt for it was mild irritation that it didn't stay where it was left by its owner. 

By the time I left work today I was so tired I didn't think I was going to get to the truck.  Knowing I was not fully prepped for M3 and not really feelng like eggs or my emergency soup, plus feeling too tired for cooking and cleaning, I took one for the team and volunteered to take my husband out to the Texas Roadhouse.  I blamed it on Father's Day weekend of course.  I was thinking maybe I could at least get a salad down and maybe take a steak home with me for breakfast.

As soon as the smell inside hit me, it was instant full-on primal scream from my midsection demanding I feed it some tasty red meat NOW.  Thank goodness it was noisy in there, lol.  I did something I never do and ordered the bone in ribeye (I usually go with the nicely trimmed small sirloin or ny strip).  Half of it came home with me to cook up for breakfast tomorrow but I ate every bit of that crispy fatty edge and the fat my husband cut off from his as well. I came out of there feeling SO much better and with so much more energy that I stopped and picked up a couple of things, assembled my kitchen shelving, and set up my crockpot.  Has anyone else had their food cravings change?  And should I be concerned about this or start buying more red meat?

M1: Two eggs scrambled with a small amount of hamburger, onions, mushrooms

M2: Stuffed pepper, baby carrots, coconut water

M3: House salad with lemon juice, baked sweet potato (salted, no toppings), steak, loose handful dark cherries

Day 13!  We're almost at the halfway point.  I'm hosting a party today and 85% of the food is compliant, so I'm happy about that.  I slept a ton last night and hope that took care of the rage I felt yesterday.  Everyone hopes that, actually. :)  Have a great weekend!

...and have been craving fat like a mad thing.  I really thought I was getting enough, I add it every meal, but maybe not enough?  I spent all afternoon being distracted by thoughts of grilled steak, and fried... anything.  I add coconut, coconut milk, or ghee to just about every vegetable.  Plus I usually toss a few chopped pecans into greens and sweet potatoes.  

M1: Two eggs scrambled with a small amount of hamburger, onions, mushrooms

M2: Stuffed pepper, baby carrots, coconut water

M3: House salad with lemon juice, baked sweet potato (salted, no toppings), steak, loose handful dark cherries

The fat on that steak you ordered was just what your body needed - take that as a signal to add more. The meals you descibe here are very low in fat hence your cravings. Add some mayo, a handul of olives, some compliant bacon, or use fattier cuts of meat. The fat you are using to cook in is negligible as most of it stays in the pan so you really do need to add some more. 

I think I'm just over the process.......I know to trust the process and change takes time. I'm just over the label reading, the food, the preparation, the cooking (so much cooking), and really missing my 1/2 Eziekel Sprouted English Muffin. ;-) That was my go to snack for pre WO and bfast. I've read the book and I'm hoping by Day 30 I'll look at food differently, feel different about food, and have a healthier relationship with the Sugar Dragon. As of now, I just want it to be over. I refuse to quit. I've come this far, not going to cheat or give up.

I think you need to stop focusing on all the things you can't have, and focus more on all the nutritious & tasty things you can have, and identify the positive changes you've seen so far. Is your skin clearer? Are you sleeping better? Are you more focused? Are your moods stable? etc.

There's a lot to be said for positive mental attitude - negativity perpetuates itself.

Jmcbn,

I appreciate your feedback and advice. I certainly love that I can have such a variety of healthy, delicious food. It's not much different than how I ate prior to W30. I wish I had the positive physical changes as you described! My skin was clear prior to and is still clear during W30, my sleep is the same. I've experienced more negative than positive such as headaches, extremely dry mouth, thirsty all of the time despite drinking a gallon of fluid a day, dry eyes, no energy, hot flashes (I'm only 38!), and have zero motivation to exercise ....,which is totally unlike me. I was WO 5-6 days a week and training for triathlons. I'm hoping my body just needs more time to adjust to being without dairy, sugar, and grains. I fully anticipate ending Whole 30 at the exact same weight as I started, at least based on how my clothes are fitting today. The same as 12 days ago. I still struggle with M1 and have shifted my mindset from bfast food to just food because I know I wasn't eating enough. I still hate eggs so I had to think differently about eating chicken and vegetables at 7 AM. I'm happy that I don't crave sugar. I wasn't a candy eater, but I loved cookies, cakes, pies, etc. In Whole Foods yesterday I stood right next to the cookie case and didn't even want them. I do miss grains and legumes. Black beans was a staple in my diet prior to W30 and I miss being able to eat them. I'm not a big meat eater, so eating a lot of meat at each meal has been challenging, but found great recipes for grilled chicken and hamburger patty. On a positive note, I was able to share my Whole 30 with my secretary that struggles with an autoimmune condition, skin issues, and has been wanting to do something about her weight. I shared my book with her and she's going to begin Whole 30 in hopes it will decrease systemic inflamation.

Good morning beautiful people! I have fallen victim to statistics! I didn't take a water bottle to my sons baseball game and after an hour of running around sweating I grab my sons Gatorade and chugged without thinking. Back to day 1 this morning. Good luck all! I believe in you.

The fat on that steak you ordered was just what your body needed - take that as a signal to add more. The meals you descibe here are very low in fat hence your cravings. Add some mayo, a handul of olives, some compliant bacon, or use fattier cuts of meat. The fat you are using to cook in is negligible as most of it stays in the pan so you really do need to add some more.

Lol, here I have been, feeling guilty for eating so much fat when I was actually sabotaging my "feel good." I am so glad to know though, because I feel AMAZING this morning!

Good morning beautiful people! I have fallen victim to statistics! I didn't take a water bottle to my sons baseball game and after an hour of running around sweating I grab my sons Gatorade and chugged without thinking. Back to day 1 this morning. Good luck all! I believe in you.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, I have come close to something like that myself, I calk it my "autopilot" mode - a habit I am vigorously attempting to demolish. I hopeyou stay with us. :-)

Jmcbn,

I appreciate your feedback and advice. I certainly love that I can have such a variety of healthy, delicious food. It's not much different than how I ate prior to W30. I wish I had the positive physical changes as you described! My skin was clear prior to and is still clear during W30, my sleep is the same. I've experienced more negative than positive such as headaches, extremely dry mouth, thirsty all of the time despite drinking a gallon of fluid a day, dry eyes, no energy, hot flashes (I'm only 38!), and have zero motivation to exercise ....,which is totally unlike me. I was WO 5-6 days a week and training for triathlons. I'm hoping my body just needs more time to adjust to being without dairy, sugar, and grains. I fully anticipate ending Whole 30 at the exact same weight as I started, at least based on how my clothes are fitting today. The same as 12 days ago. I still struggle with M1 and have shifted my mindset from bfast food to just food because I know I wasn't eating enough. I still hate eggs so I had to think differently about eating chicken and vegetables at 7 AM. I'm happy that I don't crave sugar. I wasn't a candy eater, but I loved cookies, cakes, pies, etc. In Whole Foods yesterday I stood right next to the cookie case and didn't even want them. I do miss grains and legumes. Black beans was a staple in my diet prior to W30 and I miss being able to eat them. I'm not a big meat eater, so eating a lot of meat at each meal has been challenging, but found great recipes for grilled chicken and hamburger patty. On a positive note, I was able to share my Whole 30 with my secretary that struggles with an autoimmune condition, skin issues, and has been wanting to do something about her weight. I shared my book with her and she's going to begin Whole 30 in hopes it will decrease systemic inflamation.

I have many of the same feelings as you.  I have not experienced any positive feelings thus far, but have been depressed, moody, quick to anger, no energy to workout (I generally work out very strenuously with weights, and HIIT 5x a week), and headaches.  My period was oddly 3 days late as well.  I keep waiting to feel awesome!  Let's hope it hits us both sometime soon!!  

Good morning day 13! After last night's blowout (I thought) of steak and the accompanying fat plus this morning's breakfast of the leftivers, I feel awesome! I have been all smiles and high energy this morning. I hope this feeling stays with me. I am SO going to the meat market this evening. :-)

Good morning!! Happy Day 13! 

Day 12 recap! Yesterday was my greatest challenge thus far! I went out to dinner and drinks with my girl friends. It all started with meeting at a friends house where I stated I was not drinking. They were enjoying a beautiful red wine. It smelled amazing. It was ok that I passed and it felt great. They were snacking and I was not. When we got to dinner ( an italian place) they ordered bread, appetizers, and drinks. Again I abstained. For the most part they were understanding and supportive but they said why would i pick the middle of summer to start this. I realized how much of a social aspect drinking and eating are. I did feel slightly left out from the "fun" because I wasn't drinking. It was such a different experience. At the restaurant I ordered a large salad and asked them to add broccoli and asparagus that i saw on the pasta. I drank soda waters with lime all night. When it came to the cake time, one friend said just have a little piece, the birthday girl was so supportive and said no! Don't put that in front of her, she is committed! And damn right I am! It was a TRUE test last night. So after dinner we went to a few bars and again soda water and lime for me. I was able to be the DD and save money lol. Plus I don't have the gross food or alcohol hangover today. The next birthday celebration with my friends will happen on day 30 and I was told ( jokingly) i better be able to drink by then, but honestly I'm a little scared. 

I did find myself asking my family if i look thinner this morning. I was doing some body checking. Well Im going to eat my pre workout hard-boiled egg and get ready to go to spin class. Im grateful to have honored myself last night and stuck to my commitment. My  friends said they couldn't have done it. 

Here is to an amazing day 13 and 3 more days till the tiger blood!!

Sarah

Archived