Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

It is!  However, I'm choosing to push through and honor my commitment.  We can do this!

So am I!!!  I have been perfect on the protocol.  I am just trusting that it will all be worth it!!  I actually feel better this afternoon.  I felt very depressed most of the day today.  I'm with you, sister!  We got this!

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Week one went well on the most part. I felt pretty tired yesterday after Barre pilates class and took a lengthy nap. Today I made a Sweet Potatoe breakfast bake with ground beef, mushrooms, eggs, peppers and onions. Should last me for the next 2 Meal 1s. Found myself a little fatigued in the sun on the golf course, but managed to golf a full 18. Planning is key and I am looking forward to week 2. best wishes everyone!

I am still feeling very fatigued. Hoping the energy surge will come soon. Got up this morning grilled a bunch of veggies. I'm committing to at least one salad a day (not that fond of it - but I know I'm not 12 - so j ust do it) More veggies for me.

The great good news is I'm completely compliant and don't have to start again at day 1! Very inspired by the w30daily about cleaning it up. Thanks everyone

Congratulations on staying compliant! :)  I like salads, but I have switched over to the protein salads and have been adding all kinds of veggies to that, including my starchy ones.  I have also discovered a love of almost every kind of veg sauteed or seared in either the coconut or olive oil, seasoned with paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Very quick and easy to do, very tasty, and the leftovers are great mixed in eggs or with meat thrown in for a meal. Keep at it!

Woohoo!! Week 1 done!  It has been a tough week for me, but with definite victories and definitely light at the end of the tunnel.  The hardest part was day 2 and day 3 when I suffered some extreme brain fog and fatigue I was not expecting.  After some adjustments to my meals, the brain fog retreated but I have definitely struggled with fatigue this week.  I have noticed that most fruit does not do great things for me, I get hungry faster if I add fruit to a meal.  Even a small amount of something like pineapple or cherries in a salad makes a noticeable difference.  I feel like I have some low blood sugar going on in the afternoon when I put fruit in the salad.  The coconut water doesn't seem to have that effect and the when  I used banana as part of my soup at night it was very soothing.

The really up side is that I have dropped enough water and/or inflammation that my "oh lord am I getting these on before work" emergency jeans were only mildly snug this morning.  They didn't even require the "umpire squat" to make them fit right. :) (All you ladies who wear men's jeans know what I'm talking about, lol.)  Plus, I notice I have been sleeping more soundly, which is definitely a bonus and hopefully not just from being exhausted this week.

The best thing is that my husband is not only fully supportive, he is helping me out in the kitchen and even altering his recipes to make them compliant (he's a self-trained chef).  It is so much nicer when we can eat the same food and don't have to come up with two different dinners.  :)

Let's stay on it, we can do this!

Wow. So Friday came at me with chloroform and tranquilizer darts. I fell asleep immediately after getting home from work and just could not function for the rest of that night. Saturday was a fog and I'm only starting to feel more like myself today. Which was fortunate, because I needed to cook all of the things! to make sure I stay compliant this week.

I highly recommend the Sausage Bangers and Sweet Potato Mash in the Whole30 book. That recipe and its leftovers got me and my exhausted, scrabbling self through the mountain of this weekend. I'm really looking forward to the view at the top of this thing!

Woo! Week two, come at me, bro! We can take it!

Wow. So Friday came at me with chloroform and tranquilizer darts. I fell asleep immediately after getting home from work and just could not function for the rest of that night. Saturday was a fog and I'm only starting to feel more like myself today. Which was fortunate, because I needed to cook all of the things! to make sure I stay compliant this week.

I highly recommend the Sausage Bangers and Sweet Potato Mash in the Whole30 book. That recipe and its leftovers got me and my exhausted, scrabbling self through the mountain of this weekend. I'm really looking forward to the view at the top of this thing!

Woo! Week two, come at me, bro! We can take it!

Oh, I had your Friday yesterday!  I don't even remember going to bed last night and forgot to put the dog in his kennel.  I was so glad to feel halfway normal today. :)

Thanks for posting about the bangers and mash, it's one of thing things I am planning on making this week, looking forward to it even more now.

One more comment on my day, lol.  I did all the shopping for next week this afternoon.  I had never truly appreciated the genius of the marketing strategies used by grocery stores until today.  I went to grab a cart, turned around, and BAM - right there in the entry, surrounded by a variety of colorful, sugary baked goods.  Want to get produce?  Ok, right this way, just run this gauntlet of chips, candy, and cakes of all sizes to get to the healthy stuff.  I don't usually crave the baked and candy, but man, what a display.  (My cravings lean towards the dairy and tortilla chips, I love my chips and queso, alas)

I also went to look for the unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk, thinking if I had the carton in the fridge it would make things just a little faster and easier when I want to make soups.  I found them, both refrigerated and on shelf.  Unfortunately, when I read the labels, they ALL had carageenan in them, plus some had some other strange ingredients I didn't recognize.  I do hope whoever posted earlier in the week about the almond milk has been reading labels, that's some sneaky additives there.  I went back to the specialty sections and picked up some cans of the one brand of coconut milk they sell here that doesn't have any banned additives. Oh, how I miss Central Market and Whole Foods right now!

Confession time: This is the first time I've ever gotten through 7 days on a structured nutritional plan (trying to avoid saying diet!) with absolutely no cheats! I think the all or nothing mentality (if I cheat I have to start over) is really working for me and the longer I'm on it the more I have invested.

Also, my initial goal of sustainable weight loss is morphing into physically just feeling better, I'm already noticing improvements in my energy, bloating, and general aches and pains (especially in my joints). 

Anyone have any lessons learned from this last week? I'm focusing more this week on eating my fruits and veggies. Even though I've been preparing them for each meal after I eat my protein I'm full and they often get pushed aside. 

One more comment on my day, lol.  I did all the shopping for next week this afternoon.  I had never truly appreciated the genius of the marketing strategies used by grocery stores until today.  I went to grab a cart, turned around, and BAM - right there in the entry, surrounded by a variety of colorful, sugary baked goods.  Want to get produce?  Ok, right this way, just run this gauntlet of chips, candy, and cakes of all sizes to get to the healthy stuff.  I don't usually crave the baked and candy, but man, what a display.  (My cravings lean towards the dairy and tortilla chips, I love my chips and queso, alas)

I also went to look for the unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk, thinking if I had the carton in the fridge it would make things just a little faster and easier when I want to make soups.  I found them, both refrigerated and on shelf.  Unfortunately, when I read the labels, they ALL had carageenan in them, plus some had some other strange ingredients I didn't recognize.  I do hope whoever posted earlier in the week about the almond milk has been reading labels, that's some sneaky additives there.  I went back to the specialty sections and picked up some cans of the one brand of coconut milk they sell here that doesn't have any banned additives. Oh, how I miss Central Market and Whole Foods right now!

Hi Cynthia, 

Making your own almond milk is pretty easy and it last for 4-5 days, you just need to soak raw almonds in water for 6 hrs, then blend with water and strain through a cheese cloth or nut milk bag.  

you can google the recipe for flavors and quantities.

Confession time: This is the first time I've ever gotten through 7 days on a structured nutritional plan (trying to avoid saying diet!) with absolutely no cheats! I think the all or nothing mentality (if I cheat I have to start over) is really working for me and the longer I'm on it the more I have invested.

Also, my initial goal of sustainable weight loss is morphing into physically just feeling better, I'm already noticing improvements in my energy, bloating, and general aches and pains (especially in my joints). 

Anyone have any lessons learned from this last week? I'm focusing more this week on eating my fruits and veggies. Even though I've been preparing them for each meal after I eat my protein I'm full and they often get pushed aside. 

I couldn't agree more!! I think the fact that I would have to start over is a huge motivation, plus I have NEVER had this level of self commitment and it feels amazing. It feels so good to tell my boyfriend that I completed another day! He is so committed to his journey and motivates me. 

Happy day 8!!! This morning I woke up to cook for the week in the cool morning weather. This weeks meals will be 1) the shepards pie 2) chicken veggie stir fry 3) chicken chili lime burgers with butter lettuce and pico de gallo. 

This week my goal is to snack less even though they are compliant, but if my body tells me I am hungry I will eat. I feel amazing!! It is that time of the month so I am feeling sluggish or bloated I know why. I am soon happy to have committed to this journey. I was just saying how I plan to eat consistent with this way of life (allowing for occasions). I have to admit that i am little nervous of the reintroduction phase but its one day at a time right. Stay in day 8 lol. I am lucky to be off for the summer and really able to focus just on me!

Sarah

OK, i need help.  I ate fairly healthy before, so I don't know why this is such a struggle for me.  But i have zero energy to work out.  I usually work out for at least an hour a day, but these last few days i haven't been able to move.  I get dizzy and faint feeling.  It's not like i want to sleep all the time, but i just dont have energy to get up and really exercise intensely.  Does anyone have a good pre workout snack to help me get some more energy into my workouts?  Or is there something i should be doing differently if i want to work out.  I usually work out before lunch or before dinner.  

OK, i need help.  I ate fairly healthy before, so I don't know why this is such a struggle for me.  But i have zero energy to work out.  I usually work out for at least an hour a day, but these last few days i haven't been able to move.  I get dizzy and faint feeling.  It's not like i want to sleep all the time, but i just dont have energy to get up and really exercise intensely.  Does anyone have a good pre workout snack to help me get some more energy into my workouts?  Or is there something i should be doing differently if i want to work out.  I usually work out before lunch or before dinner.  

From what I read its common to have energy/lethargy issues the first few weeks while your body adjusts to the change in energy source. I'm not sure about the dizzy faintness though (maybe some else has some suggestions?). I found that I actually have more energy and am waking up earlier in the mornings so I try and get a light workout in then (if I wait till evening my energy levels are much lower).

I also gave myself a pass on strength training and other intensive workouts for the first few weeks to get the food thing in working order. If I feel good, I'll do it but if I don't I wont :)

OK, i need help. I ate fairly healthy before, so I don't know why this is such a struggle for me. But i have zero energy to work out. I usually work out for at least an hour a day, but these last few days i haven't been able to move. I get dizzy and faint feeling. It's not like i want to sleep all the time, but i just dont have energy to get up and really exercise intensely. Does anyone have a good pre workout snack to help me get some more energy into my workouts? Or is there something i should be doing differently if i want to work out. I usually work out before lunch or before dinner.

Most people struggle with training of any kind in the first two weeks as their body becomes fat adapted. That said, if you post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, along with activity levels we could take a look and see if there are any tweaks that can be made.

The dizzy & faint feeling you describe could well be from not eating enough food - especially if you are forgoing any kind of pre or postWO meal. Or it could be that you aren;t eating enough starchy veg - are you eating at least one fist sized serving per day? Are you drinking 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily?

I love reading the messages in this part of the forum.  I see a trend of the same people posting, being committed and taking this on.  I love it!  It really is a great forum to be able to discuss our common problems and seek help from each other and the moderators of the forum.  Well done everyone.  

Day 8 done. :)  Other than the issues I had trying to answer another post from my phone, the day went fairly well.  Got creative tonight and made coconut shrimp, fried bananas, and snow peas with mushrooms and water chestnut.  It was delicious and I'll be having leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :)

I am less tired today, tummy gurgles seem to have gone away, and for the most part my brain is functioning fairly well.  I need more sleep tonight though, for some reason could not get to sleep last night.

M1 frittata with greens, onions, & mushrooms

M2 ground beef patty, sweet potato mash, raw avocado slice, baby carrots & grape tomatoes. Coconut water.

M3 coconut shrimp, snow peas w/mushrooms & water cress, fried bananas

Happy day 8! how cool is that?

M1: Scrambled eggs with mushrooms and a mango

M2: Steak and tomatoes, cilantro, onion salad + Banana

M3: amazing slow cooked chicken kale salad and grilled parsnip

I have lots of energy  and feel so proud for being compliant :)   Keep being strong guys the most difficult part is over!   :)

Ok I started june 8 also. Anyone else feel as bad as I do? It's day 8 and I thought I'd be feeling better by now. On top of it I got a terrible cold and I haven't been sick in years. I'm exhausted ! There's so much food I can't eat it all. I'm cooking all the time. I followed the meal plan for the first week but couldn't keep up! It's overwhelming. The only good part is that I'm not hungry and I haven't had any terrible cravings which I totally expected. I am a heroine addict when it comes to sugar. I've been gluten and dairy free for 8-9 years and I've followed a pretty decent paleo program for the last 2. Aside from chocolate, chips and wine ;). So I really didn't expect to feel this bad. Any tips or encouragement? Everything I've read in the Whole30 book and newsletter says I should be feeling better by now.

Please help me out here!

Ok I started june 8 also. Anyone else feel as bad as I do? It's day 8 and I thought I'd be feeling better by now. On top of it I got a terrible cold and I haven't been sick in years. I'm exhausted ! There's so much food I can't eat it all. I'm cooking all the time. I followed the meal plan for the first week but couldn't keep up! It's overwhelming. The only good part is that I'm not hungry and I haven't had any terrible cravings which I totally expected. I am a heroine addict when it comes to sugar. I've been gluten and dairy free for 8-9 years and I've followed a pretty decent paleo program for the last 2. Aside from chocolate, chips and wine ;). So I really didn't expect to feel this bad.

Ok, clearly trying to reply with quote using phone is not working for me. :-P. I also did not expect to be hit as hard by the reset as I have been in the first week. But I am seeing improvements, especially after I readjusted the types and qantities of fruits and vegetables I'm eating. It is actually quite a bit more food than I am used to eating and WAY more cooking. It can be overwhelming trying to fit it all in, especially if I don't find time to prep the day before. I really don't have time and room to prep for my whole work week - I'm on a 13 on, 1 off schedule which doesn't leave much time for anything. But I'm lucky enough to have my husband to help when I meltdown in the kitchen. Maybe review what your eating or post a few days of meals so the moderators can help?

Ok I started june 8 also. Anyone else feel as bad as I do? It's day 8 and I thought I'd be feeling better by now. On top of it I got a terrible cold and I haven't been sick in years. I'm exhausted ! There's so much food I can't eat it all. I'm cooking all the time. I followed the meal plan for the first week but couldn't keep up! It's overwhelming. The only good part is that I'm not hungry and I haven't had any terrible cravings which I totally expected. I am a heroine addict when it comes to sugar. I've been gluten and dairy free for 8-9 years and I've followed a pretty decent paleo program for the last 2. Aside from chocolate, chips and wine ;). So I really didn't expect to feel this bad. Any tips or encouragement? Everything I've read in the Whole30 book and newsletter says I should be feeling better by now.

Please help me out here!

If you'd like to post a few days worth of food/liquid intake, along with sleep/activity/stress levels we could take a look and see what you could change to make you feel better. Historically days 7-10 are the hardest and the stage at which most people quit, but just hang in there - it could be as simple as adding more starchy veg to your meals, drinking more water, or adding protein....

Day 9 everyone!  So pleased to have made it this far.  I read that days 10-11 are when people are most likely to quit....let's not join that group of quitters!

Feeling good but in that phase where I don't really feel like eating.  I'll take it - it's certainly a change from before I started this.

Archived