Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

Happy Day 13! Feeling better than I have. Today was the first day I was willing/able to not have coffee before food. Clearly I'm being changed. Thank you moderators for your ongoing commentary and support. Today I cooked M1 at 5:15am (cuz I was awake at 4:30) and ate around the plate since there was no way I could get it all down at that hour. Had coffee w coconut milk. Then finished meal.

I also took action after reading the W30daily and ordered some spice blends from Penzeys. Feeling enthusiastic about spicing it up.

I so want to stick with this lifestyle change. Thanks everyone for your posts

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I have many of the same feelings as you.  I have not experienced any positive feelings thus far, but have been depressed, moody, quick to anger, no energy to workout (I generally work out very strenuously with weights, and HIIT 5x a week), and headaches.  My period was oddly 3 days late as well.  I keep waiting to feel awesome!  Let's hope it hits us both sometime soon!!  

Are you eating enough starchy vegetables? Even basically sedentary people often feel better with one fist-sized serving a day. Given that you're already feeling depressed and moody, and that you'd like the energy to work out like you usually do, go for at least two servings a day, and you might even go for a serving at every meal for a few days and see if you can't get your mood and energy back where it should be. Once you're feeling better, then you can play with the amounts to find what works best for you.

As for your period being late, it's not unusual for women's periods to change some on Whole30. There are several discussions in the Women's Only section of the forum. 

Jmcbn,

I appreciate your feedback and advice. I certainly love that I can have such a variety of healthy, delicious food. It's not much different than how I ate prior to W30. I wish I had the positive physical changes as you described! My skin was clear prior to and is still clear during W30, my sleep is the same. I've experienced more negative than positive such as headaches, extremely dry mouth, thirsty all of the time despite drinking a gallon of fluid a day, dry eyes, no energy, hot flashes (I'm only 38!), and have zero motivation to exercise ....,which is totally unlike me. I was WO 5-6 days a week and training for triathlons. I'm hoping my body just needs more time to adjust to being without dairy, sugar, and grains. I fully anticipate ending Whole 30 at the exact same weight as I started, at least based on how my clothes are fitting today. The same as 12 days ago. I still struggle with M1 and have shifted my mindset from bfast food to just food because I know I wasn't eating enough. I still hate eggs so I had to think differently about eating chicken and vegetables at 7 AM. I'm happy that I don't crave sugar. I wasn't a candy eater, but I loved cookies, cakes, pies, etc. In Whole Foods yesterday I stood right next to the cookie case and didn't even want them. I do miss grains and legumes. Black beans was a staple in my diet prior to W30 and I miss being able to eat them. I'm not a big meat eater, so eating a lot of meat at each meal has been challenging, but found great recipes for grilled chicken and hamburger patty. On a positive note, I was able to share my Whole 30 with my secretary that struggles with an autoimmune condition, skin issues, and has been wanting to do something about her weight. I shared my book with her and she's going to begin Whole 30 in hopes it will decrease systemic inflamation.

I hope things improve for you, I really do.

Regarding your weight it could well be that you're at your natural weight and so you don't have any to lose - women have a tendency to carry a few pounds more than we'd like, particularly around our middle to protect our reproductive organs. You may be pleasantly surprised to find though that your BFP has dropped - I'm active like yourself and in my first 30 days mine dropped considerably although I didn't lose a single pound.

It could be that because the legumes & grains were such a big part of your diet that it will take a bit longer for you to see the other non scale results.

Stay the course. It may not feel like it right now, but something positive is goingon in that body of yours.

Are you eating enough starchy vegetables? Even basically sedentary people often feel better with one fist-sized serving a day. Given that you're already feeling depressed and moody, and that you'd like the energy to work out like you usually do, go for at least two servings a day, and you might even go for a serving at every meal for a few days and see if you can't get your mood and energy back where it should be. Once you're feeling better, then you can play with the amounts to find what works best for you.

As for your period being late, it's not unusual for women's periods to change some on Whole30. There are several discussions in the Women's Only section of the forum. 

Thank you so much for the advice.  I really appreciate all of your comments.

Happy Day 13! Feeling better than I have. Today was the first day I was willing/able to not have coffee before food. Clearly I'm being changed. Thank you moderators for your ongoing commentary and support. Today I cooked M1 at 5:15am (cuz I was awake at 4:30) and ate around the plate since there was no way I could get it all down at that hour. Had coffee w coconut milk. Then finished meal.

I also took action after reading the W30daily and ordered some spice blends from Penzeys. Feeling enthusiastic about spicing it up.

That newsletter had perfect timing for me as well.  I am also perusing the website, already bought my chicken livers, and would love to try the bone marrow. :) 

I've been eating mostly eggs and spinach or eggs and veggies for breakfast.

I'm going to mix it up with some egg salad with a side of sautéed greens- should I be adding a starchy veg? Any suggestions?

I was having a starch with mine until I figured out I didn't need it not to feel hungry before lunch. (Which was quite recently actually, lol).  I split it between lunch and dinner now, although I am seriously considering the butternut soup or a pumpkin soup with protein added for breakfast.  I think my favorite breakfast so far is the sausage with onions, mushrooms, and whatever else happens to land in there.

I have had an incredible day!  I wish everyone felt as good as I do right now. :)  After accidentally discovering the tweak to my eating that my body needs (and having it confirmed here, thank you!)  I added in much more fat today.  I was in an obnoxiously good mood and had energy in droves.  After having been exhausted past the point of fatigue, foggy, moody, and downright crabby today was SUCH a welcome change!  I will most definitely be practicing listening to what my body is trying to tell me and acting on it.  I have discovered that many times I think I'm hungry, I am actually thirsty, which is leading to a new habit of drinking a glass of water before I eat anything.

Other positive changes I took note of today - my coffee consumption has dropped WAY down, forgot about it completely after I left home today.  Down from 2 cups at home then another 4 or 5 travel mugs during the day at work to most of a cup this morning, then poured one and forgot it at work.  The Chai tea with coconut milk has suddenly developed amazing flavor. :)

I did make it to the meat market here, which is all locally sourced and has some truly lovely prices.  I'm pretty sure I came home with at least two weeks worth of meat.  Suddenly I think I may need more than the 30 days just to try the recipes I've been reading today.  Not able to find any compliant bacon, but got ground pork and will be making my sausage up tonight.  As near as I can tell, the nearest health food store that actually sells food is about 85 miles away, so that is going to have to wait.  Spices and aminos I can get online, so that's good.

I am still holding a little of the extra water I picked up in the last few days, but hoping that passes soon.  In the meantime, I will enjoy feeling good and go with it.  I sincerely hope everyone who is having a tough time still will stick with it - you will get there! 

M1: leftover steak, slaw with home made mayo dressing

M2:, skillet meal - ground meat, onion, mushroom, squash, and tomato.  handful of dark cherries

M3: grilled ribeye, grilled pineapple slices, slaw, sweet potato mash

I'm feeling the same way as tracyspinner and iluvtoread! I came down with a horrible cold, which has made things even worse. I am so tired, it's all I can do to get through the day let alone eat and make all this food. I did make some bone broth and have been eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner to help me get well. I was determined not to go to the doctor for fear he'd prescribe antibiotics which would totally mess up the gut healing part of this program. Anyway, tomorrow is Sunday and I dread thinking about spending the entire day preparing meals for the week. I don't have time to cook when I get home from work, so it's the only way I can stay compliant. Then I think, this isn't just for 30 days, it has to continue if I want to stay healthy and THAT'S when I get overwhelmed.

I must say though, that I have not taken any cold medicine, cough drops or other remedies that have any sugar in them!! Using lots of essential oils, homeopathic remedies and the beloved bone broth! 

My big question is this: There are several recipes in the Whole30 that are referred to as one pot meals. I love these kind of easy meals that you throw in the crock pot and voila! So, how do you determine the serving size for these and do you have to add more veggies, etc(i.e: salad, potatoes, whatever?) when you eat them or can they be the only thing you eat?

• Moderators

My big question is this: There are several recipes in the Whole30 that are referred to as one pot meals. I love these kind of easy meals that you throw in the crock pot and voila! So, how do you determine the serving size for these and do you have to add more veggies, etc(i.e: salad, potatoes, whatever?) when you eat them or can they be the only thing you eat?

There may be some trial and error here to figure out the right serving size. You can think about how many pounds of meat went into the whole thing and then kind of guesstimate from there -- do you think your usual serving size is 1/4 lb? 1/2 lb? (think about ground beef, for instance -- how many servings do you usually get from a pound of ground beef?) If you put in two pounds of meat to cook, and you eat about 1/3 of a pound of meat at a time, you'd have to do a little math, but that means you put roughly six servings of meat in. It's not a perfect system, and after your first serving, think about how you felt -- did you eat it all and then still want more, or get hungry two hours later? If so, increase your serving size next time. 

For vegetables, you need at least a cup of vegetables every meal, and preferably more like 2-3 cups, so do you have that many cups of vegetables in a serving? If not, add more. You may want to add extra fat too, depending on the dish. 

I am so glad yesterday Day 13 has come and gone. I felts like a cranky crabby mess. Yesterday i had so many feelings and really just wanted to EAT ALL THE THINGS! If i had not been doing whole 30 i most likely would have binged on sugar. I went to target and something made me decide to try on swim suits. I started to be very unhappy with my body and it was like a trigger that set me off. I ended up gettting some Lacroix waters and leaving. I had decided to go see that new Pixar movie Inside Out. I was going to go by myself but my brother and his girlfriend wanted to come. We got to the theater and it was sold out :(  Im super frustrated with the guy that I am dating as he does not make time for me with his schedule. I upset someone who was in town because i was feeling too cranky to hang out at 11pm. All of this is Life and it comes and it goes. What choices I make today are what matters. I did find myself telling myself that shoving my face into a bag of M and Ms won't make my body magically look amazing in a bikini, it won't make the movie not be sold out, it won't make my relationship perfect. Just have to ride the feelings and they shall pass. Now on to a new day. I have to be gentle with myself and realize Ive made it 2 whole weeks! Half way done!! I think I thought whole 30 may have been a quick fix but its not, and I am grateful. I will honor myself and give today my best.

Happy half way mark. Love this forum and its support!

Sarah

Hi everyone!  Day 14.  I'm still very crabby and emotional, and I hope it wears off soon.  I struggled last night hosting a party - everything I made was compliant and that's what I ate, but I could have very easily dove face first into the tray of gourmet cupcakes that my friend brought and put a straw in the gorgeous bottle of rose from another friend. I felt kind of sorry for myself at the end of the night, which is absolutely ridiculous considering I'm doing this to HELP myself.   I was seriously considering quitting, but I'm over that hump.

Having a compliant meal today at my parents' for Father's Day and looking forward to getting back into a work week routine.  The kids are away this week too, so I won't have to cook anything I don't want to.

Hope all is well!  Starting to think about the reward I will buy myself on Day 31!

Cooking a heap load of stuff for the week- I went to the bargain grocery store, which actually stocks natural/ specialty products, and my grocery bill was almost halved! 

I went to a party last night, and I was so bummed to wake up with a puffy face and a headache! That's what would have happened if I was drinking, so I was a little confused. I believe it was the weather, low presssue/ rain, and the lack of veggies in my meals yesterday. Also, not enough zzzzs. I'm realizing how important sleep is!

Going out and being social during this time is hard, but I'm really glad I'm doing it instead of just staying in. I'm learning a lot about myself and my relationships, and I think it will make it a lot easier to not totally slide right back into the social drinking that was part of my life before Whole30.

We are halfway through - YAY!

I'm feeling about the same as all of you.  Pretty crabby still, sleepy tired and physically tired.  Just trying to get my batch cooking done today so I can relax a bit more than usual during the week!

My husband says my belly is getting smaller, which is awesome.  And I DO feel happier in general.  There are my two non-scale victories.  :)

Any day now, ladies.. any day and we'll get to TIGER BLOOD and feel fantastic!  Let's try to remember why we're doing this.

Have a happy day 14!  

Hey Klack you changed the profile picture and I was so confused trying to find our forum hehe

So happy day 14th! and is almost over tomorrow we hit half point cheer up!

Today I did some cooking for the week: The amazing chocolate chili from WellFed, some baked potatoes, zucchini soup, indian cauliflower rice, beef broth and some spinach-egg muffins.

Had a compliant fathers day breakfast although it was not really w30 recommended I know.. but ingredients are compliant... hey I'm pregnant don't yell at me for that :o

Tomorrow I will be making the Pad Thai from WellFed, it sounds amazing and something tells me the chocolate chili won't last long... so I need to be prepared with more food there are 3 whole30ers being fed....

Hope everyone remains strong we did two weeks! that is a big deal!  

M1 Not saying but had eggs, bananas, mangoes, dates & arugula

M2 Amazing chocolate chili with baked potatoe and a simple salad

M3 Cauliflower + carrot soup with procciuto + cherries 

Really a pudding of any kind is off limits on a Whole30. How/when exactly are you eating this?

Chia seed pudding is coconut milk and chia seeds. It's ok. Lots of protein and fat and not sweet at all. I added a few cubes of mango on top. You should try it! Have it with breakfast!

Chia seed pudding is coconut milk and chia seeds. It's ok. Lots of protein and fat and not sweet at all. I added a few cubes of mango on top. You should try it! Have it with breakfast!

Actually, chia seeds are a fat, not a protein, on a Whole30, and a source that is advised to be limited. So this is basically fat, fruit and SWYPO.

Hey Klack you changed the profile picture and I was so confused trying to find our forum hehe

So happy day 14th! and is almost over tomorrow we hit half point cheer up!

Sorry!  It's linked to FB, and I changed it for Father's Day.  Just put a new one up, too...trying to keep you guys on your toes!

WE HAVE REACHED DAY 15.  I don't know any of you personally, but I am so proud of you and thank you for helping me get this far.  It has been really helpful to have a place where I can talk "Whole30" and get support, advice, and love!  Thanks!

Archived