Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

Hey All Whole 30'ers! I had my 6 week check in today with my personal trainer to compare my measurements from my last time and shared that I started Whole 30 instead of the meal plan he had me on.  He wasn't super happy with me about that, but he understood that I did it to break my relationship with sugar.  I expected my BF to be lower based on my change in eating habits and my weight and body fat (BF) was the EXACT same.  I'm still at 143 lb and 22% BF (I'm 5'5").  His goal for me is 132 and 17% BF.  I'm doing a bikini figure competition in November so I'm going back to my body transformation meal plan he has me on.  He believes I was way under eating on Whole 30 based on a couple days that I did track food to show him.  I'm still going to watch and be conscious about my sugar intake (that is the same on both meal plans), but I'm adding grains back in.  They never bothered me before so I anticipate no problems adding them back in.  I had my usual pre-W30 1/2 sprouted english muffin, egg, and chicken/apple sausage for breakfast, and I have to admit I feel SO much better. I know Whole 30 is a process, it's a learning experience, and it's designed to help us create a healthy relationship with food.  I unfortunately had a lot of negative physical (extreme thirst, headaches, no energy, no motivation, very crabby) and developed a very unhealthy feeling toward food.  Prior to Whole 30 I spent Sunday's food planning, prepping, and cooking for the week.  I found on Whole 30 I began to resent cooking, meal planning, and hated eating.  Food became a full-time job.  Thinking about food became complicated and the process (for me) became arduous and not fun.  I don't consider myself a quitter or a failure.  I learned I can go without sugar (and added sugars), I learned (for me) I have to enjoy the process to be committed, and eating should be enjoyed and not feel like a job.  

I wish everyone luck and good health.  I hope you learn about yourself, your health journey, and enjoy the process of discovery!  

In health, 

Tracy  

P.S.  If anyone is interested in following my journey, please feel free to add my on Facebook (Tracy Spinner) or Instagram tracyspinn).  I post a lot of food recipes.  You may be able to use some of them on Whole 30.  ;-)  

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another week in the books! I'm finally getting the hang of this I think :)

I discovered kombucha this weekend and I'm hooked. I actually bought it at wholefoods last week but didn't work up the guts to try it until yesterday (the idea of fermented tea did not sound good to me!). I'm mixing it half/half with with my iced green tea in the morning to get a little extra caffeine kick. It also has probiotic properties so I'm hoping it will allow me to stop taking my probiotic pill which is super chalky.

I'm so glad that most of us are hanging in there and at least some are starting to feel better....fingers crossed it will get better for everyone else in the next few days. I still don't have tons of energy to I'm hoping tiger blood kicks in soon as my goal for this week is to get in 45 mins of exercise a day.

I discovered kombucha this weekend and I'm hooked. I actually bought it at wholefoods last week but didn't work up the guts to try it until yesterday (the idea of fermented tea did not sound good to me!). I'm mixing it half/half with with my iced green tea in the morning to get a little extra caffeine kick. It also has probiotic properties so I'm hoping it will allow me to stop taking my probiotic pill which is super chalky.

I'm so glad that most of us are hanging in there and at least some are starting to feel better....fingers crossed it will get better for everyone else in the next few days. I still don't have tons of energy to I'm hoping tiger blood kicks in soon as my goal for this week is to get in 45 mins of exercise a day.

GT's Kombucha is my all time favorite!  I love Gingerberry, Trilogy, and Mango Madness.  I mix Trilogy with sparkling lemon mineral water and it takes like a "cocktail".  It's super refreshing and yummy!  

We are half way there!  I am still really tired.  But I wake up more easily if that makes any sense.  I did give up all caffeine about 5 weeks before I started my Whole30.  It seriously took me a month before I wasn't dragging.  I am hoping that my energy increases soon.  I haven't had the desire to work out.  Although I do take my dogs for a walk every day.  Yesterday we did our long hike in the canyon.  When I do walk/hike my legs get really sore as I'm doing it.  I think that it is probably my body adjusting to burning fat rather than carbs.  Not complaining, but when I do those walks and feel sore it certainly doesn't make me want to exercise more.  

Well done every one!  Half way to our goal.

misc_tara, KUDOS to you for setting a really big goal for yourself!  OK maybe 45 mins a day of exercise isn't that big of a deal for you, but I just dont think I could do it!  I'm giving myself a pass on working out for the entire W30.  Too sluggish!  Maybe once the tiger blood kicks in...

Still very tired, didnt want to get out of bed this morning.  Cooked ALLLLLL DAY yesterday, but got a lot done!  Should free up my evenings a bit more.

If you haven't made the Greek Beef Stew on Clothes Make the Girl, you MUST try it!  I made it yesterday and it was soooo soooooo good.  Looking forward to my lunch of leftovers in a few hours.  :D

Today's menu:

M1: Silky Zucchini Ginger soup w/ 2 fried eggs, couple of bing cherries (farmers market = PHENOM)

M2: Greek Stew over spaghetti squash, side of sliced salted cucumbers

M3: Italian beef roast (currently in the slow cooker) w/ sauteed asparagus

Let's keep on keepin' on, ladies.. WE ARE DOING THIS!!

I also am still finding myself exhausted!  And i am DEFINITELY having the vivid dreams.  But finding myself more fatigued than pre whole 30.  Seems like its taking my body longer to recover from work outs.  

I'm also pretty cranky still.  Its kinda sad, because all i want to do is sleep, and if i am around people im cranky, so i pretty much just sleep all weekend long.  It also helps my cravings at bay, but that is not a life i want.  

On the plus side, i feel so much less bloated!!! 

GT's Kombucha is my all time favorite!  I love Gingerberry, Trilogy, and Mango Madness.  I mix Trilogy with sparkling lemon mineral water and it takes like a "cocktail".  It's super refreshing and yummy!  

I tried the gingeraide kind and loved it! Gingerale was my go to drink when cutting back on wine in the evenings prior to whole30 so I'm glad I found this alternative :)

misc_tara, KUDOS to you for setting a really big goal for yourself!  OK maybe 45 mins a day of exercise isn't that big of a deal for you, but I just dont think I could do it!  I'm giving myself a pass on working out for the entire W30.  Too sluggish!  Maybe once the tiger blood kicks in...

Still very tired, didnt want to get out of bed this morning.  Cooked ALLLLLL DAY yesterday, but got a lot done!  Should free up my evenings a bit more.

If you haven't made the Greek Beef Stew on Clothes Make the Girl, you MUST try it!  I made it yesterday and it was soooo soooooo good.  Looking forward to my lunch of leftovers in a few hours.  :D

Today's menu:

M1: Silky Zucchini Ginger soup w/ 2 fried eggs, couple of bing cherries (farmers market = PHENOM)

M2: Greek Stew over spaghetti squash, side of sliced salted cucumbers

M3: Italian beef roast (currently in the slow cooker) w/ sauteed asparagus

Let's keep on keepin' on, ladies.. WE ARE DOING THIS!!

I'm not sure I could do 45 mins all at once, but since I seem to have more energy earlier in the day I do 15 mins of yoga and 15 mins of cardio right after I wake up. Then I walk 15 minutes around my building at lunch. I've been doing the yoga and walking since last week and I added in the cardio today. So not too intense, I bet you could do it!

I discovered kombucha this weekend and I'm hooked.

I bought some this weekend too, but unfortunately I hated it!  I'm going to try cutting it with seltzer tonight to see if it's any better.

We are half way there!  Good for us.  Like many have stated the past few days- I'm still very fatigued and cranky.  Yesterday- Father's Day was a huge challenge- my husband and I had a tough day- loads of temptations with a bbq- but I made sure to have our compliant foods at the ready.  One big benefit that I've noticed so far, is that I no longer suffer with horrific sinusitis.  I would have wicked sinus headaches daily-  but the past few days- I can honestly say for the first time in many many years- I don't feel any discomfort in my sinuses.  No sneezing- no runny nose.  It's amazing for me actually.  So now I"m wondering what it was that caused my sinus issues.  I'm praying that it is gluten and not dairy because I would really be a total misery if I can't have a little ice cream from time to time.  The weather is heating up in the NorthEast and I'm really missing my ice cream.  Good job group- day 15!!!!!

Happy day 15! Hope you all finish this with me!!! 

M1: Hard boiled eggs with cucumber + olives

M2: Chocolate chili + baked potatoe + salad

M3: Zuchini soup + salad with anchovies and avocado

Tomorrow is going to be a really hard day for me, I'm a foster mom and we will have to go to court, if they give back this baby to the dad I'll probably be so depressed that won't comeback for a couple days.... please cross fingers for me ( for the baby really...)

One big benefit that I've noticed so far, is that I no longer suffer with horrific sinusitis.  I would have wicked sinus headaches daily-  but the past few days- I can honestly say for the first time in many many years- I don't feel any discomfort in my sinuses.  No sneezing- no runny nose.  It's amazing for me actually.  So now I"m wondering what it was that caused my sinus issues.  I'm praying that it is gluten and not dairy because I would really be a total misery if I can't have a little ice cream from time to time.  The weather is heating up in the NorthEast and I'm really missing my ice cream.  Good job group- day 15!!!!!

I've gotten relief from the allergies as well. Grass/weed pollen is really high here, plus it's been really windy and dusty. But it occurred to me this morning that I haven't sneezed in at least the last 2 days, my nose isn't running and I am not congested. :-)

Halfway! I'm glad to see so many still here, we are well on our way. :-)

I am truly glad that I had my burst of "feel good" and energy the day before yesterday because I have been laid low by some manner of illness, hopefully I did not poison myself with the last of my mayo. Have stayed compliant other than I know I did not eat enough today but my tummy is just not accepting much. Managed to get a little protein down but could not stomach the veggies tonight. Hopefully I will feel better about life in the morning, I want to try some of the recipes you have been posting.

I started my Whole30 on June 8 as well. I'm a bit worried that it isn't working for me because I have none of the symptoms any of you are experiencing. I'm not tired, my mood is normally pretty positive and even-keeled and it has stayed that way. My clothes fit exactly the same as before - no bloating but absolutely no shrinking either.

I know it's kind of backwards to think I'd have to feel like crap to get better, but I'm starting to think I won't see what I was hoping from this program. My body isn't outwardly reacting at all. I'm following the program to the letter.

Doctors tell me I have PCOS due to the symptoms I exhibit with absolutely no medical evidence of cysts, insulin resistance, or problems with my blood sugar. I've been losing hair for years, but my iron levels are fine. I have a low heart rate but am overweight and certainly not an athlete. I was hoping this would really help, but I'm starting to feel like my body is saying, "Yeah? You thought this would make a difference? Ha! Show us what else you've got...we can keep doing this all day..."

Thanks for letting me vent.

I started my Whole30 on June 8 as well. I'm a bit worried that it isn't working for me because I have none of the symptoms any of you are experiencing. I'm not tired, my mood is normally pretty positive and even-keeled and it has stayed that way. My clothes fit exactly the same as before - no bloating but absolutely no shrinking either.

I know it's kind of backwards to think I'd have to feel like crap to get better, but I'm starting to think I won't see what I was hoping from this program. My body isn't outwardly reacting at all. I'm following the program to the letter.

Doctors tell me I have PCOS due to the symptoms I exhibit with absolutely no medical evidence of cysts, insulin resistance, or problems with my blood sugar. I've been losing hair for years, but my iron levels are fine. I have a low heart rate but am overweight and certainly not an athlete. I was hoping this would really help, but I'm starting to feel like my body is saying, "Yeah? You thought this would make a difference? Ha! Show us what else you've got...we can keep doing this all day..."

Thanks for letting me vent.

If you're starting Whole30 with any kind of a hormonal issue it may well take a little longer than the 30 days for things to settle, and therefore it would be longer before you'd see any results - the lack of 'symptoms' doesn;t mean the magic isn't happening at all, more so that perhaps it's just not happening yet.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of food/liquid intake along with sleep/stress/activity levels we could take a look and see if there are any tweaks that could be made....

Be patient - it's still early days in the grand scheme of things.

I think I hit the "EAT ALL THINGS" phase a little late, yesterday I was looking for food (any food!) all day yesterday. I packed two lunches because I ate breakfast super early and I breezed through both of them by 1PM and I even left work a little early to go home and eat dinner. I woke up hungry today too.

Hopefully this is just a PMS thing :) ......Is it sad that the thing I'm most worried about is that I'm going to run through all the meals I made over the weekend too quickly and have to make more?

Oh, and a little NSV - I got a new fitbit the same week I started Whole30 and I noticed this morning that my resting heart rate has steadily declined about 5 beats per second over the last 2 weeks. I haven't really amped up the exercise much until this week, so I have to believe its partly due to what I'm eating (or not eating).

Happy day 15! Hope you all finish this with me!!! 

M1: Hard boiled eggs with cucumber + olives

M2: Chocolate chili + baked potatoe + salad

M3: Zuchini soup + salad with anchovies and avocado

Tomorrow is going to be a really hard day for me, I'm a foster mom and we will have to go to court, if they give back this baby to the dad I'll probably be so depressed that won't comeback for a couple days.... please cross fingers for me ( for the baby really...)

Good luck to you and the baby!

Good morning and Happy day 16! This morning I woke up with a headache. I attribute it to the fact that I ate some dates the past few days. Even though its natural sugars I know it was too much. Went to the movies yesterday and while I haven't eaten at the movies in a very long time the aroma was almost palpable. I was very aware of the mindless eating of others. I remember when i would have candy i would eat it all during the previews. Tiger blood day is finally here. I love the awareness of this way of life. I see my senstivities. So today I am going to meet a friend an hour away to work out and hang out. M1: was 2 eggs, 3 paleo bacon, and half a banana. My goal today is more water. Keep up the great work ladies!!

Sarah

TIGER BLOOD!

Anyone feeling it?  No??  Yeah.. me either.

Still feel like crap.  I think I'm more tired today than I have been in a few days.

But it's OK!  Like the book says, we're all unique snowflakes and can't expect to follow the timeline exactly.  Hopefully by the end of this week we'll all be feeling phenomenal! 

I, too, was feeling extra munchy yesterday.  Went to Whole Foods after work for just a couple things to make Chocolate Chili, and I wanted to shove everything in my face.  Especially chocolate, which is probably because my mind was like "you're making chocolate chili?  that means we can have some again?  WAHOO!"  But no, mind, it doesnt work that way.

Very proud of myself that I did not fall face-first into a box of Oreos.  I really, really could have.

Had to choke down my breakfast today (fried eggs and sweet potato), even though I was hungry.  I think I'm just getting sick of food lol.  I think I'll "lighten" up my meals for the next few days (lots of chicken, salad, etc) instead of heavy, starch stuff.

M1: (as stated) Fried eggs and sweet potato

M2: chocolate chili over spaghetti squash

M3: TBD.. lots of different stuff in my fridge I can throw together.  Last night I had a taco frittata.  Yum.

We're over the hump - wahoo!!!!

TIGER BLOOD!

Anyone feeling it?  No??  Yeah.. me either.

Still feel like crap.  I think I'm more tired today than I have

But it's OK!  Like the book says, we're all unique snowflakes and can't expect to follow the timeline exactly.  Hopefully by the end of this week we'll all be feeling phenomenal! 

We're over the hump - wahoo!!!!

I did have a day of Tiger blood before I got sick. Even being sick I have more energy than before. Do you eat red meat? It seems like a lot if people on here don't but when I boosted my red meat and animal fat my energy soared.

I did have a day of Tiger blood before I got sick. Even being sick I have more energy than before. Do you eat red meat? It seems like a lot if people on here don't but when I boosted my red meat and animal fat my energy soared.

I DO eat red meat.  Not tons, though.  I'd rather eat some amazing grilled asparagus and zucchini than have a big steak.  Maybe I'll try up-ing my fat for the rest of the day and see if that helps.

My stomach is growling, but I dont feel like eating.  The thought of eating the chili I brough is making me feel nauseated.  Anyone else feeling this way?  Am I getting sick?  Or just "food boredom" or whatever?

I DO eat red meat.  Not tons, though.  I'd rather eat some amazing grilled asparagus and zucchini than have a big steak.  Maybe I'll try up-ing my fat for the rest of the day and see if that helps.

My stomach is growling, but I dont feel like eating.  The thought of eating the chili I brough is making me feel nauseated.  Anyone else feeling this way?  Am I getting sick?  Or just "food boredom" or whatever?

Lots of people get food boredom & lose their appetite.

It's important to still eat what you can though, then pack up the rest to eat as soon as you feel able. It can help to stick to very bland foods like scrambled egg, or mashed potato, or to add strong flavours like pickles.

Are you eating a lot of the same things every day? Maybe you just need to mix it up a bit...?

Lots of people get food boredom & lose their appetite.

It's important to still eat what you can though, then pack up the rest to eat as soon as you feel able. It can help to stick to very bland foods like scrambled egg, or mashed potato, or to add strong flavours like pickles.

Are you eating a lot of the same things every day? Maybe you just need to mix it up a bit...?

I've been eating something different almost every day actually!  Lots of different cultures and spices.  I think I need to go back to food that's more bland, like you suggested, because egg salad doesnt sound half bad right now.

Thanks for the help!

Egg salad is always good. :)  It was the first thing I made after I made mayonnaise. 

I actually had a what I thought was going to be a rather odd dinner tonight but it turned out fairly tasty.  I ended up with leftover filling from making the stuffed peppers (probably the leftover veggies I threw in there, lol).  I also had leftover pumpkin soup that I was heating for dinner.  Some strange impulse led me to dump the ground beef mix into the soup, ending up with a rather thick, chunky "chowder."  It was actually quite tasty and very soothing on the stomach.  Hoping tonight sees the last of whatever bug I've had.  Still hanging in there!

Today's food:

M1: Pumpkin soup

M2: Hamburger patty with spring mix veggies

M3: Pumpkin "chowder"

Archived