Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

Day 11 - whoop whoop!

Finally felt successful in the kitchen last night, which is fantastic because I really needed a WIN!  Made grilled shrimp skewers with a variety of veggies, some fruits (cantelope and strawberry), and various spices.  My favorite turned out to be the cajun shrimp.. mmm.. unfortunately it was so good there were no leftovers, so I have more egg salad today.

I have NomNomPaleo's Kalua pig in my slow cooker right now and I roasted a whole butternut squash (I am SOOOO yam/sweet potato/squashed out!), so I'll have a good amount of leftovers for the rest of the week/weekend!

Today:

M1: butternut squash w/ 2 fried eggs, few pcs of cantaloupe

M2: curried egg salad w/ green olives and capers, grape tomatoes, bit of smoked salmon

M3: roast pig, baby!!!!  Probably with grilled asparagus because I'm obsessed.

Went on The Clothes Make The Girl last night and I am definitely going to batch cook what she recommends, so I'll have to stock up at the grocery store over the weekend.  Thanks for the suggestion, ladies!!

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I roasted a whole butternut squash (I am SOOOO yam/sweet potato/squashed out!)

You could branch out to other starchy vegetables. I love the Belly Dance Beet Salad on The Clothes Make The Girl -- even if you don't think you like beets, I recommend trying that. I'm less fond of turnips and rutabagas, but eat them occasionally for a change, usually roasted. There's always carrots and parsnips -- you can roast them, separately or together. And jicama -- I can't stand it cooked, but love to either dice it to go in a salad, or cut it in sticks and use it to dip in guacamole.

Hello day 11! I was extra sensitive yesterday not sure if its the w30 or hormones.. but everything made me cry.... Hope it gets better as still feel a lil touchy.

M1: spanish tortilla & salsa

M2: Kale salad with 2 fried eggs

M3: probably roasted eggplant and steak...

Does anyone have a good way to make chicken breasts tasty?  Mine always end up either raw, or dry?  Tips for the grill?  

I haven't had any slip ups, and feel like I can absolutely do this, and maybe go on beyond the 30 days, when at first I was seriously hating life (no cream in my coffee, sniff, sniff).  

Because Im doing the autoimmune version, I'm also not having any nuts, or eggs,(or any nightshade veg) and I have to say I'm kind of glad about that now, because nuts are a no stop food for me if I'm hungry, and they don't actually take away my hunger.  Anyway, I know we aren't supposed to weigh ourselves, but, I've been documenting my journey (how I feel each day, etc), so I have weighed myself, and the weight is falling off.  I have still been fairly low energy, and so I have just been walking every day instead of my normal fairly intense weight lifting sessions.  I've just felt like my body wants a slower pace right now, if that makes sense. 

You are all inspiring me!  Thank you for all of your posts!  

My favorite way to eat chicken breast is from the crockpot.  Use a compliant broth, throw in 6-7 breasts and then you'll have them for the week.  My very favorite way to eat chicken.  I don't really like chicken but as it's like the number one diet food I've eaten a lot over the years.  :)

Good morning all!

Is it day 11? Last night jimmy had Pizza Hut pizza for an 'after baseball' snack. I. Love. Pizza.

I didn't eat the pizza but I did sit with him and eat a cartons of blueberries.

I'm having a hard time getting enough calories. I make sure to eat around my plate - but I'm not a big fan of meat. Not sure if I should add more days or just suck it up and eat more meat.

My favorite protein is eggs.  I know some people are sick of them but there are sooo many ways to make them that I don't often get sick of them.  I've been doing egg/spinach omelette fried in either ghee or bacon grease (compliant).  It is amazing!  I also eat hard boiled a lot mixed with an avocado.  Love eggs.

I haven't found the motivation or energy to work out. Prior to Whole 30 I worked out 5-6 days a week and since I began Whole 30 I've worked out 4 times!

I'm hoping it gets better soon!

I'm with you!  I don't have the energy to work out yet.  Maybe once we get the "Tiger Blood".  :)

We have made it to day 11!  We are amazing!!!  Seriously, I was committed to this but I am so proud that I am sticking to it and making it work.  Every day I learn a little something more.  I'm feeling better and better.  My new favorite thing is Kombucha.  What the heck!  That stuff is delicious!  I had no idea and I'm so glad I found it.  I saw a blog post on Stupid Easy Paleo where you can make it yourself so may try after Whole30 because I don't have the energy now.  

I've been really lucky because my husband is also doing the Whole30 with me.  It makes such a huge difference for both of us to be doing it and holding each other accountable.  And I'm even luckier because my husband does most of the cooking.  I meal plan, shop and clean up though so it's a wash.   :)   At least it is for me because I hate to cook.

I love reading this forum group.  You are all inspiring me every day.  Each one of you makes me feel like I can keep doing this.  I love the power of positive energy and this group has it in spades.  Thanks for sharing this experience with me.  (That all sounds really sappy.  Is there a "I am Sappy Day" day?   ;)

I like this method for chicken breasts -- don't skip the brining, but for that part if any of the spices are not AIP friendly, skip them, and then season the chicken however you normally would.

Try documenting how you feel each day when you don't weigh yourself -- it can be uncomfortable, not knowing, but that's part of the process, and it's good to be uncomfortable occasionally rather than giving in to every single desire, especially when those desires are not healthy.

Thank you!  I appreciate the suggestions!

I made it to day 10. Giving up the diet coke has been hard but I'm craving carbonation a little less every day. The biggest surprise to me is how much more flavor I'm tasting in even the simplest of foods. I used to think carrot sticks tasted a little musty but I had a carrot stick last night and was almost overcome by the intense sweetness! Still having bizarre dreams not about food but nightmares really. Hope that settles down soon. I even did a yoga session today...I can't remember the last time I woke up early enough to do that before work. I'm so thankful for whole30

I also am noticing how flavorful foods are. It's amazing, because I didn't think I liked salad or very many vegetables when I started. And the fruit, omg, it's sooo sweet. This has never happened to me. Gives me great hope that I could enjoy eating this way. I'm desperate for a lifestyle change. Yay w30!

Have you read the batch cooking method from The Clothes Make The Girl? You spend a lot of time one day cooking, but then most of the stuff is done for the rest of the week. General description of it here, plus she has four weeks' worth of Whole30 compliant meal plans with shopping lists and instructions if you want to see specifics -- here's week 1, and there are links to the other three at the end of that post.

You can also just always make a little extra to use later -- if you're grilling chicken, don't just grill what you're eating that night, grill all the chicken you have, or all that will fit on the grill. If you're roasting one sweet potato, go ahead and roast more than one, or throw in a pan of some other veggie too. When you make egg salad for one lunch, double it, so you've got two days'  worth ready to go. You get twice as much done, but it shouldn't take you twice as long, and then the next night you have a little less to do.

This would be great if I had more than 1 day off every two weeks.  I try to double up on recipes for whatever I make, unless it's something complicated or intimidating that I'm trying for the first time.  I do need to get my crock pot set up and would love to hav more stuff in the freezer.  I will make it work out somehow, will be easier once it gets to be routine and I get used to all the "new" combinations of food and cooking I'm doing.

Still hanging in for day 11.  Thank God I had leftovers in the refrigerator.  It has been on of those days, I am run ragged.  By the time we got back to the truck to come home I felt like a combination of the Snickers (You're not YOU when you're hungry!) and Calgon (calgon, take me AWAY!) commercials. Threw some squash in the oven for tomorrow, that's as far as I could get.  Yesterday's stuffed pepper reheated int he microwave was still amazing tonight and there was my trusty standby sweet potato in the frig.  I also decided to try a different fruit with dinner tonight, staying away from citrus so I had a handful of dark cherries with dinner.  So far, so good.  :)

Today had a dragging headache still and am absolutely puffy with retained water.  I am wondering if I really did set myself back with either the grapefruit episode or yesterday's migraine med.  Nevertheless, I am sticking with it, the food is good and I know I was getting close to getting some really good results.  If I have to add extra days, so be it.  I am enjoying the food, noticed several other posts talking bout how much more flavor they are tasting also.  That part is great.  Now, if I just wasn't so tired.  And whiney.  Definitely whiney this evening.

Keep plugging along, folks - we've got this!

M1: Eggs and squash/kale hash

M2: egg salad with avocado and water chestnut, slaw, coconut water

M3: Stuffed pepper, sweet potato mash, dark cherries

My first post! I'm sticking to it and kind of surprised that my cravings are subsiding! My headaches from days 3-5 are gone and I'm starting to get some energy back. I need to wrap my head around the fact that I can eat veggies for breakfast ( not just in an omelette)! I'm getting sick of hard boiled eggs, but it's a quick protein on busy mornings! I love the support of this forum and reading everyone else's struggles, ideas, suggestions and recipes! I'm not worried about making it to Day 30..I've already made it through my daughter's engagement party and several dinners out. This is do able!

Day 11...im emotional and I. WANT. CANDY.CUPCAKES.SUGAR! its my drug and I am hurting so thats what i want to go to. But I'm not. Im sitting in the feelings and honoring my commitment. I am powerless over other people and their actions. I am not powerless over myself. Grateful today is over.

Day 12 feels like I went back to day three. Bloated, exhausted,and overly sensitive before I even get in the gate at work. Gonna be a looong 10 hours. I will keep reading the stress junkie articles, certainly fits my day at work, although I am already using most of the coping techniques. Hope this passes soon, I am tired of feeling like a water balloon.

I'm not a fan of the forum on my phone - but I had a quick question! I don't recall in any of the books what timeframe they recommend eating meals.

So - let's say I wake up and I'm not hungry. By when would I be putting down meal one?

I'm not a fan of the forum on my phone - but I had a quick question! I don't recall in any of the books what timeframe they recommend eating meals.

So - let's say I wake up and I'm not hungry. By when would I be putting down meal one?

It is key to settling your hormones that you eat meal one within one hour of wakening. It's best not to drink coffee before meal one as this will at as an appetite suppressant and you really need to eat.

It is key to settling your hormones that you eat meal one within one hour of wakening. It's best not to drink coffee before meal one as this will at as an appetite suppressant and you really need to eat.

So I have ten minutes then :)

I didn't even want coffee this morning - usually I'm dragging to the coffee pot. Just a cup of hot water. I really want a bowl of oatmeal! Guess I'll go fry an egg!

My favorite protein is eggs. I know some people are sick of them but there are sooo many ways to make them that I don't often get sick of them. I've been doing egg/spinach omelette fried in either ghee or bacon grease (compliant). It is amazing! I also eat hard boiled a lot mixed with an avocado. Love eggs.

I so love eggs! But hubby isn't a breakfast for supper person and I've really tried to minimize cooking two meals. I make the game as whole30 as they'll except then scoop out a portion for me and add a salad. Some nights it's not enough. Last night I just had sweet potato cause my tummy was upset.

We have made it to day 11!  We are amazing!!!  Seriously, I was committed to this but I am so proud that I am sticking to it and making it work.  Every day I learn a little something more.  I'm feeling better and better.  My new favorite thing is Kombucha.  What the heck!  That stuff is delicious!  I had no idea and I'm so glad I found it.  I saw a blog post on Stupid Easy Paleo where you can make it yourself so may try after Whole30 because I don't have the energy now.  

I used to brew my own kombucha. Had to give my scobi away when we moved across country. Next time you pick up a bottle, grab a bottle of unflavored. Leave a cup sit out where it won't be disturbed covered with a coffee filter/rubber band. Or a linen dish towel. Leave it for a week or two. A scobi should grow and you should have the energy for the next step by then. Easy peasy.

Day 12!  I am so impressed with all of us - we are doing it!

I'm feeling good.  I'm starting to have some cravings for weird stuff - feta and Italian combo sandwiches - pop up, but I'm working through it.  Sleep is still disrupted, but I hope that goes away this weekend!

Wohooo Day 12! 

Last nights I cooked some food for the weekend, I know it's too much cooking but it feels so good to have the fridge full of compliant food for the whole family and I made a bunch so no cooking for the weekend yay!

M1: Hard boiled eggs, Papaya & grilles zucchini bites

M2: Roasted brussel sprouts with prociutto + roasted eggplant + Avocado & Cherries

M3: Cauliflower, carrots and onions soup with prociutto bites as garnish and probably some steak leftover.

I'm glad everybody is sticking to it, after the weekend we will be halfway!

Having a hard time last night and today- just so tired still and having more cravings now than before.  Physically I don't have any energy yet.  Eating lots of protein andveggies- keeping fruit to later in the day.  It's day 12- so I keep thinking one day at at time- one meal at a time- almost half way there.  Reading these posts helps inspire and motivate to keep going. Rome wasn't built in a day and the sugar dragon isn't slayed in only 12 days.  Have a good weekend everyone.

• Moderators

Having a hard time last night and today- just so tired still and having more cravings now than before.  Physically I don't have any energy yet.  Eating lots of protein andveggies- keeping fruit to later in the day.  It's day 12- so I keep thinking one day at at time- one meal at a time- almost half way there.  Reading these posts helps inspire and motivate to keep going. Rome wasn't built in a day and the sugar dragon isn't slayed in only 12 days.  Have a good weekend everyone.

Cravings might be a sign that you need to eat more, or maybe that you need to focus on getting more fat with your meals, or making sure you get at least a serving of starchy vegetables every day.

If you wanted to list a few days' worth of food, with approximate serving sizes, we could take a look and see if there's anything you could tweak to help.

Day 12!  I am so impressed with all of us - we are doing it!

I'm feeling good.  I'm starting to have some cravings for weird stuff - feta and Italian combo sandwiches - pop up, but I'm working through it.  Sleep is still disrupted, but I hope that goes away this weekend!

My sleep hasn't been great since I started this either. At first I thought it was because I had to get up so often to use the bathroom but now that I'm back to normal at about once a night I still feel like from about 2AM (when I use the restroom) to 5AM I'm not getting a sound sleep. 

I think part of mine is withdraw from Benadryl though. I generally have pretty bad outdoor allergies during the spring and summer so I was taking 2 benadryl a night on top of zertec and that really knocked me out. When I started whole30 I decided to cut out the benadryl and just do the zertec in order to better notice any positive changes in my allergies. 

Day 12!  Tomorrow we'll be teenagers... : )

I've been sleeping like a drunk person- passed out cold. But I'm still very tired when I wake and throughout the day. Fortunately the evenings of cooking keep me on my feet and awake until an acceptable time to go to bed (like 8pm? That's acceptable, right?? lol)

Here's my question for you moderators: I've reached the point where the unhealthy things I used to eat (like Taco Bell) no longer even sound appetizing.  But when I walk past the bakery at the grocery store and see all the goodies, I think "I could eat that".  So here's the question - should I expect to ultimately get to the place where those cakes and cookies dont appeal to me??  Is thinking about how good a piece of red velvet cake would taste technically considered a "craving"?  Does this all have to do with slaying my sugar dragon?

I can resist just fine, but I'd still enjoy eating that cake, etc if I did.

For any of you wondering (i'm sure it was keeping you up last night), my Kalua pig turned out AMAZING.  Really really good, and now I have 3 pounds of pulled pork in my fridge for the weekend. : )

Today's lineup:

M1: 3 fried eggs, sauteed broccoli and spinach (loaded with fish sauce, my new obsession)

M2: pulled pork, roasted butternut squash, grape tomatoes

M3: probably chicken breasts or steaks on the grill, whatever veggies sound good (my fridge is stuffed with ready-to-go veggies!)

Keep on rocking, guys!!

Archived